The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Dragobeth said:

We should stop thinking that kids today are like us when we were kids, stop with the "but i liked this becouse it was dark, kids today will not like it either" It's the same *** internet has been doing with all the Thundercats remake, please, we all love toy soldiers, GW making some "child-friendly" stories doesn't affect your toy soldier so get yourself together or your next stage will be something like "millenials are ruining warhammer with their prepainted minis bcs no time to paint and their 4 rule's pages bc no time to learn 999 rule's pages" or "reeeeeeeee normies get out of my hobby" 

Please, stop the manchild-cry and let's talk about toy soldiers. This is a rumor thread, we have some hints to slaanesh and other armies, let's talk about it.

Lol calm down.

It's okay to worry that these YA books are an attempt to lighten up the universe, especially if the darkness is what attracted them to WH in the first place. So long as we're not histrionic in our disdain or defense of these books that we'll never read, who cares?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, erasercrumbs said:

Lol calm down.

It's okay to worry that these YA books are an attempt to lighten up the universe, especially if the darkness is what attracted them to WH in the first place. So long as we're not histrionic in our disdain or defense of these books that we'll never read, who cares?

out of likes, so here's a written like.... ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

..why do people assume they're trying to make the universe all rainbows and unicorns. If you've read the Harry Potter books, which are aimed at 9-12, you know kids books can be plenty dark. the first book has a disembodied, evil, mass murdering spirit wizard taking possession of someones body, so they can drink the blood of a slaughtered unicorn...sounds pretty grim. 

• Like 3

OK, I think we can all agree that Warhammer Adventures is probably one of the most Marmite* things that'****** the Internet for a while!  However we currently have 2 pages worth of discussion on if people think it's a good idea or not.

What I'm surprised about is nobody has posted this:

image.png.07db47c0b0c117ed135b9b14faeeef20.png

Maybe having Darkoath as a new army is closer than we think ;)

* You either love it or hate it

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, EvDJ said:

..why do people assume they're trying to make the universe all rainbows and unicorns. If you've read the Harry Potter books, which are aimed at 9-12, you know kids books can be plenty dark. the first book has a disembodied, evil, mass murdering spirit wizard taking possession of someones body, so they can drink the blood of a slaughtered unicorn...sounds pretty grim. 

Yes, I have read them and while I agree the first book is aimed at 9-12 and the content is at that level it is not so with the sequels. The series has grown up with its original readers. When it concluded the people who started at 10 were 20 and the content is certainly at that level or at least 14+. I wouldn't let my 12- child read Deadly Hallows as it would definitely make me get up a lot during the night because of him having nightmares...

• Like 1

Damn, that’s one hell of a discussion for two YA books - and one that took interesting turns. Instead of wondering if the setting is something to be explored by pre-teens and younger teenagers there’s waaay to much fear mongering that AoS/40k might get a bit lighter and less grimdark. A turn that might help to flash out the fluff a bit more and highlight topics of everyday life and adventure besides murdering everyone in the most brutal and industrialized way possible.
The fear and nearly religious resistance to change in geekdom, but even more so in tabletop, say GW, communities, always baffles and saddens me raises the question, whether a dominating vocal group (note, not necessarily a majority, but through their actions a visible dominating fraction) is really so insecure of their identity and self-image that they have to fear every tiny bit of change and discriminate every one diverting from what they consider the one true perspective. If true it would be a worrisome truth, especially considering the general social standing of TTGamers, their nerddom and the resulting fact, that they quite often should have experience in being discriminated themselves.

But I want to come back to a somewhat overlooked post, that in a certain way is connected to the above:

12 hours ago, sandlemad said:

You're right about the puns and double-entendres just being an all-round awful bit of gamer culture when it comes to Slaanesh buuuutt I feel there is room for GW to make something more interesting and less crappy joke-fodder from this absence. Possibly you've seen this but Kieron Gillen wrote a pretty great, if rambling, piece about 'the problem of Slaanesh', including roundups from folks taking explicitly ******-centric POVs: http://hipsterhammer.tumblr.com/post/156891771531/on-slaanesh

Not saying I have 100% faith that GW will do it well but there's conceptual room for them to do so.

EDIT: Oh wow, the q-word is bleeped out by the forums. Probably should have expected that, even when it's used in an academic or self-identifying context.  'LGBT-centric POVs' then.

Frist let me thank you, @sandlemad, for the interesting reads. All three articles offer interesting insights on how Slaanesh, but also AoS/$0k as a whole, are used to discriminate and alienate as well as to offer ways to identify with and represent different ideas of identity, gender and social standing in general. A main point to take away is that Slaanesh, as well as Chaos in a wider sense, and the implications on identity and interpretation are highly dependent on the angle from which you approach it. A thing that bothers me a bit is the reduction of Slaanesh to sex and sexual deprivation, both from the hetero-normative side as well as from a LGBT perspective. Slaanesh isn’t just about ******, shes rather about all forms of excess and passion in all forms – admittedly GW fails to be consistent about it. You can see it in the EC where they are vulnerable to his calling not because they are degenerated lunatics but because they thrive for perfection, loosing themselves in this goal and going all out about whatever they do. Same with Eldar society, where Exodites and Craftworld society is under strict regulations and code of conduct. If you wander to far on one of their societies occupational paths, you either loss yourself in it and can’t come back or worse fall to chaos. Same with the other Chaos Gods: Khorne isn’t about bloody murder but although rewards honorable combat, Nurgle isn’t just decay and death but also life and renewal, Tzeentch isn’t just backstabbing and plotting but also gaining knowledge and (scientific and technological) progress. Over the last 1-2 decades GW tended to forget about those dualities and let Chaos fall to a one-dimensional antagonist robbing the background of a huge interesting part to explore further. It didn’t help much that customers as well where all about the flat-out image of Chaos.
Another thing that is quite often forgotten, even by GW, but highlighted quite well in the text, chaos isn’t a force of evil, same as the Empire/Imperium/Sigmars blokes aren’t the good guys. There is no light and dark just grey. Chaos is as much about freedom, passion and liberty to engage in what your soul thrives as much as the Imperium is about strict limitations, totalitarian rulership and oppression of a free will – damn, servitors are a prime example, if you do wrong by the rulerships standards you are lobotomized, reprogramed and damned to a life as a mindless drone – which isn’t so much different to your life in labor camps before the procedure. Hell not even the Horus Heresy was about killing everyone or twisting them to all forms of deprivations, at least for most of the primarchs. They just felt rejected by their father and quite often as being simple tools and weapons to be cast aside when the deed was done.

Basically AoS/40k background offers a huge playground for everyone and everyone’s ideas as well as a near philosophical playing field, where human nature can be explored. So the background in itself as well as to a certain degree GW shouldn’t be condemned and changed, as well as Slaanesh not written out, cause it is oppressive and discriminating. Rather the playerbase is the problem, or to be correct the discriminating, abusive and toxic parts of it. It is to us to be self-regulating on those elements as well as open and tolerating. Yes, you could argue, that a more refined fluff might help, but there will always be that one Brick that tries to discriminate everything/one that doesn’t fit his/her twisted worldview.

I, for one, am looking forward what the new Slaanesh might bring and how GW is further diversifying their universes. We could only profit from a more colorful, multi-variant setting and model rang.

• Like 11

Nice write up @Bloodmaster. I agree the duality this very interesting. And having read a bit of the fluff in the Tzeentch and Maggotkin book and the whole realmgate wars series... it's still in their but I agree the 'generic' communications of these faction it's quite one dimensional. 

And I wonder if that's some for all factions and if it's a concious choice by GW? 

Stormcast had that issue for me when AoS dropped. Seemed so one dimensional and, well... a bit boring. Only when I read some of the books you get the sense of their fear of reforging and the pride they feel etc. But that's a big ask on your fanbase to do so for every faction. 

Did others experience it in the same way? Or is that just me? 

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I would watch the hell out of a Teen Titans Go style cartoon all about Sigmar's pantheon during the Age of Myth.

While the Epic Fantasy setting is great, I don't think it is harmed by poking fun at it (thinking of the recent "The hell I can't!" Chamber open button for instance) or by using the setting for more kid friendly stories.  Plus if you really have difficulty accepting them, just treat them as in-universe kids stories, written by some dude sitting safe and sound in Azyrheim.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

6295950E-EE7C-423E-8F1F-3ADC5B500E78.jpeg.9ab14f0851933430399cadec613b72a6.jpeg

news from rumor engine! 

It could be anything really.
Or at least, we should try to proceed by elimination.  I don't see this being anything Chaos related. Especially not Slaanesh.
Somehow, I feed like it could be Dark Aelves related. I really don't see this being Moonclan. It kind of don't fit the aesthethics.