The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Grimrock said:

I'm also a little annoyed that they're putting these models in a campaign supplement along with universal matched play rules. It's yet another thing news players need to pick up (rule book, generals handbook, malign sorcery, forbidden power, army book) just to have everything needed to play. All the good we got out of a simple rule set for trying to introduce people to the hobby is being gradually beaten to death by all of these releases. I don't even want to suggest friends try the game out anymore because I can't imagine anyone actually being willing to get over the initial hurdle.

Edit: I should apologize though, I'm a bit of a pessimist

No need to apologize, GW is pushing hard to monetize things that "all" players will be "required" to buy.  Mercenaries is just an extension of that tactic.  Why bother having to make a whole bunch of unique models for every army when you just release one thing or one faction that every player can buy? -_-

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The price likely dictates how many they expect to sell....
Lower demand = higher pricing.  
It's a bit backwards but that's how GW has always done it's pricing. That's why elite units and characters cost the same or more than a trooper unit despite being 1/5th of the size/plastic volume/complexity.  Because you only buy 1-2 characters, but 3-4 troop units (roughly speaking). 

Malign Sorcery and Generals Handbooks can be cheaper because they expect the majority of players to pick them up. 
A mostly narrative expansion pack (which they've done plenty off in the past) might only be picked up by half the players that would pick up MS or GHB... thus the price is roughly double, to have a similar break even point. 

Edited by Inquisitorsz

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

GW‘s way to balance armies is to not even try to balance them as time has proven 🤣

That's just plain false. You can debate their success at creating balance, but unless you think they are all just liars (including the non-employee playtesters, some of whom I know personally, and one of whom I once was), they put sincere effort into balance.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

That's just plain false. You can debate their success at creating balance, but unless you think they are all just liars (including the non-employee playtesters, some of whom I know personally, and one of whom I once was), they put sincere effort into balance.

Updating points once a year, leaving broken combos untouched for months or breaking the balance with almost each new Battletome/Codex while apparently having no logical point-System is prove of either the opposite of what you are claiming or of them constantly utterly failing.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Updating points once a year, leaving broken combos untouched for months or breaking the balance with almost each new Battletome/Codex while apparently having no logical point-System is prove of either the opposite of what you are claiming or of them constantly utterly failing.

Clearly you've e not been paying enough attention to White Dwarf, Stormcast or Warhammer community... 

So either you're being very snarky about GW for the sake of it or your simply aren't paying enough attention to the GW sources about how they and why they are approaching balancing the game. 

Either situation, you need to give it a rest. 

Moving swiftly on (please), I'm looking forward to Forbidden Power a lot. I enjoyed the first set of Realm Wars campaign books but hopefully this will be much better written in line with the rest of aos 2 0..

Also is it me, or does it feel like the spells were perhaps originally designed as Legions of Nagash spells?,either way I need that boatman for my skeletons! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I'm seeing a lot of really spiky, Warseer-style cynicism about Forbidden Power, mercenaries and GW's ability to playtest/balance and business practices in this thread, and feel compelled to chip in with some positive vibes and say that as an old school Dogs of War fan, I'm probably more excited about mercenaries than I have been any previous AoS release,  and can't wait to see what GW have done with them (eager to get some Maneaters for my Free Cities force, I've been wanting to paint those minis since they came out in 2004!); and that the endless spells, new scenery and new mixed allegiances in Forbidden Power look great, and I'm really excited to try them all out in game in a couple of weeks time.

• Like 5

@Carnelian whoa, hive mind! 👀

1 minute ago, Carnelian said:

Also is it me, or does it feel like the spells were perhaps originally designed as Legions of Nagash spells?,either way I need that boatman for my skeletons! 

I sure hope not, I'm looking forward to painting the boat and bridge in firey colours to accompany my Aqshy force! :D 

12 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Clearly you've e not been paying enough attention to White Dwarf, Stormcast or Warhammer community... 

So either you're being very snarky about GW for the sake of it or your simply aren't paying enough attention to the GW sources about how they and why they are approaching balancing the game. 

Either situation, you need to give it a rest. 

Moving swiftly on (please), I'm looking forward to Forbidden Power a lot. I enjoyed the first set of Realm Wars campaign books but hopefully this will be much better written in line with the rest of aos 2 0..

40k and WHF/AoS were never balanced at all, it‘s a simple fact. The sources you mentioned didn‘t do much (or anything?) in terms of balancing.

I don‘t hate their game on the contrary I love their Games for the style, setting, lore, effort and quality (visually) they put into them.

yet, as a matter of fact a logical point system isn‘t hard to make, you just need to start at a common base and put points on abilities etc.  (My friend and I‘ve been working on a TT ourselfes and the pointing isn‘t hard, our system works). GW doesn‘t do it for some reason which does not speak for their interest in balancing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anyways, back to topic. =}

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Confused 1

To me it seems like GW are hinting at Teclis' aelves. Along with the mention of Teclis in the new box, the Gloomspite story mentions an aelf who talks about battle between light and dark:

"Clutching his loonblade tight once more, and trying to avoid looking at the distinctly aelven face upon the mushroom’s twisted stalk, Snaggit ignored the mildew rapidly forming across his squig-leather boots as he warily shuffled closer. All the while the face upon the stalk babbled and drooled silently, swollen tongue lolling out. Eventually it did speak, though, the words soft and almost musical.

‘Across the void aetheric,

Under light of crooked moons,

The heavenly vaults break open,

To reveal their greatest boons.’

‘The dead and the damned search the darkness,

Making war with the hateful light,

But the Clammy Hand reaches out o’er all,

Seeking treasures of the Bad Moon’s might!’"

Edited by NazbitWeirdstabba
Spelling
  • Like 4

I don't think it is fair to expect a game like AOS to be balanced. Seems to be an impossible thing to ask for. I mean, what games really are. I guess a game like chess is pretty much balanced, but both players have the same pieces on the board, the same starting position, and the same moves. And even with chess there is a small, but significant first move advantage for white. Playing AOS with all his different armies, options and variety, is like playing chess with like 1000 different pieces and moves. Can't think of a way how that ever can be balanced. Only way would be simplifying things, making armies more or less the same. Don't think that's what people want either.

It is arguable though GW shouldn't fix clear issues earlier than they do now, but I wouldn't say they don't care at all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NazbitWeirdstabba said:

To me it seems like GW are hinting at Teclis' aelves. Along with the mention of Teclis in the new box, the Gloomspite story mentions an aelf who talks about battle between light and dark:

"Clutching his loonblade tight once more, and trying to avoid looking at the distinctly aelven face upon the mushroom’s twisted stalk, Snaggit ignored the mildew rapidly forming across his squig-leather boots as he warily shuffled closer. All the while the face upon the stalk babbled and drooled silently, swollen tongue lolling out. Eventually it did speak, though, the words soft and almost musical.

‘Across the void aetheric,

Under light of crooked moons,

The heavenly vaults break open,

To reveal their greatest boons.’

‘The dead and the damned search the darkness,

Making war with the hateful light,

But the Clammy Hand reaches out o’er all,

Seeking treasures of the Bad Moon’s might!’"

I agree, and light-aelves also means: Shadow Aelves 😍

• Like 1

+++ MOD HAT ON +++

Just want to say can we have less talk about balance. If you want to discuss this, make another thread but please keep it constructive as nobody wants to see a rant about points. 

+++ MOD HAT OFF +++

Personally, we have see some amazing reveals at Warhammer Fest, but I think we still have some cool stuff to come with the UK Games Expo in a few weeks. Hopefully we will see some more of Warcry but I think we will see a new army reveal for AOS

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

+++ MOD  +++ (...)

Personally, we have see some amazing reveals at Warhammer Fest, but I think we still have some cool stuff to come with the UK Games Expo in a few weeks. Hopefully we will see some more of Warcry but I think we will see a new army reveal for AOS

Interesting, I think the UK Games Expo will mostly be for Warhammer Underworlds Season 3, and Warcry. 

I think we'll see Teclis armies, this summer probably, but going by the sources above, and the Hedonite book (the fact the writers insist only Teclis, and not Tyrion or Malerion, answers Morathi warning against Slaanesh), I think it will just be a mixed "Aelf soup" tome, with a few adjustment to make it look properly AOS. Maybe a few Heroes and Teclis himself. 

2 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Interesting, I think the UK Games Expo will mostly be for Warhammer Underworlds Season 3, and Warcry. 

I think we'll see Teclis armies, this summer probably, but going by the sources above, and the Hedonite book (the fact the writers insist only Teclis, and not Tyrion or Malerion, answers Morathi warning against Slaanesh), I think it will just be a mixed "Aelf soup" tome, with a few adjustment to make it look properly AOS. Maybe a few Heroes and Teclis himself. 

I'm not too sure about it being aelf soup, it does say he's amassing an army from the martial orders in the realm of light  as well as gathering spirits to bolster the army which at least in my mind leads me to believe it's going to be completely new drawing from the aelves he and Tyrion created with their portion of the souls. I do think it would be pretty sweet to have another god tier character to go with the others not gonna lie. 

I think otherwise - with their focus shifting to releasing BT in some kind for all factions it makes  sense to release two Gloomspite-alike armies for Aelves

1) Hysh Aelves - realistically how many kits there are in GW store ? 

- Skycutter(which could go to Free Cities BT) , Pheonix, Dragon 

- Pheonix Guards, White Lions 

- Chariots 

- Dragon Princes

- plastic heroes,mages and Loremaster 

Throw in models for Teclis, Tyrion, (as they are heavy on heroes thanks to plastic kits), 1 cavalery kit with 2 unit entires, 1 elite kit with 2 entries, 1 battleline kit with 2 entires + terrain + endless spells. That would be pretty amazing. 

2) Malerion Aelves 

- 1 kit for Battelines (Shards, Bleaksword, Spears)

- 1 kit for elits (Execs and Black Guards) 

- Dragon, hydra, chariot 

- Cold Ones

- Corsair 

- Assassin, Fleetmaster, Sorceress

Throw in model for Malerion, some kind of big hero/monster kit , 1-2 kits for elites with 2-4 entries, maybe extra battleline kit + terrain + endless spells 

It's win-win for GW :

- they unify all those micro factions (maybe giving them even Allegiance abilities Spiderfang alike) 

- players that already have Aelves will buy new stuff 

- new players will buy older kits which will sell like hot cakes as majority of them is fairly new 

- gives both armies a lot of options and unit entries.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I'm not too sure about it being aelf soup, it does say he's amassing an army from the martial orders in the realm of light  as well as gathering spirits to bolster the army which at least in my mind leads me to believe it's going to be completely new drawing from the aelves he and Tyrion created with their portion of the souls. I do think it would be pretty sweet to have another god tier character to go with the others not gonna lie. 

I really wish that GW had put Teclis in the Realm of Shadow and Tyrion in the Realm of Light solo (obviously Malekith goes to the realm of copyright infringement, never to return); there's a great recent interview with Bill King where he talks about how when he was developing the original Teclis and Tyrion models with Jes Goodwin, that Teclis' wargear was deliberately covered in moon motifs, and Tyrion's sun ones, with the twins designed to be two sides of the same coin; and that when he wrote his trilogy of novels about the pair he expanded on that theme and made sure that all of Teclis' scenes took place at night and Tyrion's during the day.

I'm not crazy on Tyrion being blind either, but that's probably got more to do with terrible 6th edition Eltharion storyline flashbacks than missed opportunities. 🤮

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Funny what passes for fact in today's world.

+++ Mod Hat On +++

Cease!

Desist!

No More!

Please can we leave the points discuss out of this. If you feel a need to discuss it, please start a new topic but please keep it constructive

+++ Mod Hat Off +++

• Like 5

If Warhammer Underworld follows the same trend as the previous seasons, season 3 will not come before September and seems to be too early to tease it. The new preview could be more Warcry that is coming earlier and a hint for a new battletome.

The prices for the new scenery is quite steep considering its super light plastic, lighter than the Mausoleum for example,  but on the other side Forbidden Power looks like to be an interesting campaign setting. I will give it a try. Initially I thought the booklet was going to be bigger hence the different price but they have same number of pages. So the only thing different to justify the different price is the addition of tokens...

Edited by alghero81

Unifying all the  elf factions along the two high/dark lines makes so much sense that I'll be shocked if that's not what they do. I'd be very interested in the high elf stuff if its done right. I played elves in the really old school Warhammer Fantasy, but the way they currently stand, they are basically unplayable.

9 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

New rumour engine, can't be sure but it might be some kind of chest plate I reckon. It's a really weird design if it is though.

RumourEngine-May14-Content2ys.jpg

They teased enforcers (aka. not-Arbites)  for Necromunda. This is consistent with Forgeworlds style for more advanced forces in the hive, imo, so that's my bet.

Edit: Also looks painted with combat damage. Which is something FW does but GW usually doesn't on this type of mini.

Edited by Rogue Explorator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2