The Rumour Thread

16 minutes ago, Beardsly said:

If I had to guess they'll be taking the opportunity to replace older metal/finecast units (ie Grail/Questing Knights) with new plastic models, and then using the older kits to keep the range the same size to begin with.

If that’s all they do the system is dead on arrival around here: My gaming group is pretty clear on „refresh all of it or get lost“ - this should especially count for the old-as-time-itself Bretonnians, which look awful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, JackStreicher said:

If that’s all they do the system is dead on arrival around here: My gaming group is pretty clear on „refresh all of it or get lost“ - this should especially count for the old-as-time-itself Bretonnians, which look awful.

That's my stance too. I have tasted the forbidden fruit of modern AoS sculpts, I am not going to spend money on old fantasy sculpts.

Some of the later fantasy sculpts I'd consider (I write like the Empire General on Gryphon for example) but even there is not be willing to pay modern prices.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Ok, now I'm confused. Were those not knights of the realm in the preview pictures? Why are they showing the old models? Also they were half way to giving a good answer about basing. They are completely ignoring all the people who rebased their army to play AoS. Why not say that they will provide appropriate movement trays for round bases too? That way everyone can play and not just the hardcore that have held onto their armies unchanged for the last 7 years. 

45 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

I'm really confused. Didn't they show 3D renders of upcoming plastic Brettonians in the last Old World update ? Then why are they using the old 2000s minis for the photoshoots ? They don't have access to their own brand new plastic kits ? 

everything metal will become plastic/resin most likely. again, they're going to reuse old kits for this. even the new kits are going to LOOK similar enough to the older kit designs so nothing stands out too badly.

39 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Do this increase the chances of Wanderer models not being squatted as such, but just shifted back to being Old World Wood Elves?

honestly that makes more sense than Wanderers getting fully squatted even though Prince Maesa just got a full BL novel released.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

Today's Dawnbringer eshort is out! Looks like an interesting twist with the perspective of a dwarf in the way of a crusade.

Black Library - Grimnirsson (eShort)

I'm starting to vibrate with excitement because tomorrow is my turn :)

I’m noticing the layout is humans, darklings and duardin which does lean toward the rumors. A Witch aelf actually having a good opinion of crusaders does feel like they want to show them more compatible.

As one person noted:

“Witch Aelves in Other Stories: Disgusting unproud pig soldiers of Sigmar's empire. 
Witch Aelf in Heir of Shadows: I'm used to Sigmarites being soldiers of proud bearing”

Regardless they are fun shorts and I like the more hopeful angles they’re showing the Dawners from. Nice little build-up to what’s to come later. 👍

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I’m noticing the layout is humans, darklings and duardin which does lean toward the rumors. A Witch aelf actually having a good opinion of crusaders does feel like they want to show them more compatible.

Do you think I would be safe picking up a few darkling, to get started?   I know they may not be optimal build, but there are a few I'm eying to get as an ally for an existing army, but didn't want to get them if they had no chance to be in the new book?

54 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

: My gaming group is pretty clear on „refresh all of it or get lost“

this is a joke i guess?? noone can think gw will do 7-10 kits for every faction in a totally secondary game..... heck even most of aos factions havent that.

if every faction get 1-2 oldest/finecast or metal units redone in first 3 years, would be better than i thought

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Pretty much as I thought, re-release old kits and add on new ones. 

Awesome sauce! 

Did anyone catch the bit about foot knights. Looking forward to seeing those. 

I like the idea of bigger bases, not just for posing but also for actual basing. I painted up a model on a 20mm base the other day and it was hard to put anything on the base as there was any space. Time to big out the 25mm bases at the bottom of my base box! 

Bring on warhammerfest and more news! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nerdkingdan said:

Do you think I would be safe picking up a few darkling, to get started?   I know they may not be optimal build, but there are a few I'm eying to get as an ally for an existing army, but didn't want to get them if they had no chance to be in the new book?

The current state of rumours says Darklings are safe.

Interesting. Can't help but feel like 2023 is a little rushed, so maybe the rumors that it'll be a wave of indexes/codices alongside a single launch box is correct?

then drip-feed the rest of the initial release over 2024 since 10e is coming for 40k.

once that's done, going "all out" on AOS for 2024-25? and continuing to bring back old kits with some upgrades

• Like 1

I am conflicted with this news, without refreshes for certain armies I might just opt out of the starter set and go all in on nostalgia using current AOS models.

But do I want to fulfill my love of Dark Elves and Pirates and go with some Anvilgard boxes, or instead continue my love of all things Chaos and embrace the Beasts?

I hope we get an announcment of the Starter armies at Warhammer fest before I make another poor financial decision lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

But do I want to fulfill my love of Dark Elves and Pirates and go with some Anvilgard boxes, or instead continue my love of all things Chaos and embrace the Beasts?

Just remove Dark Elves from de equation and go full Pirates for a Sartosa fleet army! Let's gooo Pirates!!! YARRRR

(Note: still without miniatures...)

• LOVE IT! 1

11 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Just remove Dark Elves from de equation and go full Pirates for a Sartosa fleet army! Let's gooo Pirates!!! YARRRR

(Note: still without miniatures...)

Knowing myself and especially my budget.. I will probably just proxy a Kings of War Hafling armt and then give them a Pirate theme!

• LOVE IT! 1

52 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Interesting. Can't help but feel like 2023 is a little rushed, so maybe the rumors that it'll be a wave of indexes/codices alongside a single launch box is correct?

then drip-feed the rest of the initial release over 2024 since 10e is coming for 40k.

once that's done, going "all out" on AOS for 2024-25? and continuing to bring back old kits with some upgrades

Rushed? It's been 4 (maybe 5) years since the original announcement.

Everyone keeps saying about new 40k like that is the only thing coming out this year. 

Yes, it's the main release of the summer and will dominate for a month but if the patten holds from the past few edition launches of 40k and AoS, the months after are fairly quiet with just the codexes/battletomes of the launch boxes coming out. 

With 50 odd release weekends in a year, there is plenty of time to release ToW this year. I think we'll see it around Xmas. It's the perfect Christmas present for old gamers like me! 

• Like 2

I'm not at all shocked we're seeing kits return, I would've been more surprised if they didn't. There's no way they'd do things like Kislev if they had to reinvent the wheel.
Some of the fantasy kits that are still around will probably get re-used, hopefully they can do double duty and don't get squatted from AoS.

29 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I'm not at all shocked we're seeing kits return, I would've been more surprised if they didn't. There's no way they'd do things like Kislev if they had to reinvent the wheel.
Some of the fantasy kits that are still around will probably get re-used, hopefully they can do double duty and don't get squatted from AoS.

I think them being used in Fantasy is more likely to expand the life of them if anything. Less reason to reduce the sales by removing it from AoS if you're still going to have to use the mould for Fantasy anyway,

Be interesting to see what happens to kits which were squatted but may return for Fantasy and not prove out of place in AoS, EG the Dwarf Organ Gun/Cannon, the entire 'Greenskinz' range, etc.

There's also going to be the weird case of things like the Mangler Squig which had a WHFB sculpt, but since received a new one for Gloomspite - wonder what'll happen there. Oh, and all the new Lizardmen/Seraphon stuff too.

Edited by Clan's Cynic