The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

It's always great when Warhammer factions actually use their brains instead of just smashing and bashing each other.

Ogors teaching the Gargants that you can trade goods and services in return for steady streams of ale and food is one of my favourite lore aspects from AOS. The Sons call it 'The Great Secret'.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

It's always great when Warhammer factions actually use their brains instead of just smashing and bashing each other.

One of the reasons I like kruleboyz so much. It's so cool to see orc (oruuks) using psychological warfare and guerrilla tactics. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Draznak said:

I didn't think there were people who still preferred the old SE. 😛

Personally, I prefer thunderstrike armour in every way : better proportioned, more details, more accurate armor... I don't miss the big boys at all.

I always thought that the thunderstrike variant is a soft range reboot / upgrade and we are now supposed to only buy the new ones. Which is fine - the new ones are really good and the old ones did not age well.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Flippy said:

I always thought that the thunderstrike variant is a soft range reboot / upgrade and we are now supposed to only buy the new ones. Which is fine - the new ones are really good and the old ones did not age well.

The old ones work very well as golems for D&D/Pathfinder

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I want to know how bone tithe rebate works?

Do they just send back a finger bone of Great Grandma?

Sounds like something you need to consult a Kharadron codewright for.

"An interesting one – the tithe of bones does indeed constitute a binding contract within the bounds of the Ossiarch Empire. My knowledge of the uzkulrik legal system is limited, but it appears that the contract does not cover the ligaments or any other matter approximal to the bone itself. 

Assuming that you yourself are not an unquiet spectre or fanged zanguzaz, you are still alive. In the removal process, they will more than likely have gathered marrow, and you should therefore be able to claim recompense along those lines. In fact, I would say you’re owed interest. I suggest a strongly worded letter to your local Mortisan guild demanding your own arm back, plus a goodwill payment of at least one additional femur."

From the community page

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Seems 40k is binning sub-factions.

Be interesting to see if this and other systems ends up carrying over to AoS 4.0.

My knowledge of 40k is extremely limited.  So maybe I'm just naive.  But when I read that I just assumed that "Detachment" was the new name for "subfaction."  They seem to be filling a similar role.  Or am I totally misunderstanding?

7 minutes ago, Ferban said:

My knowledge of 40k is extremely limited.  So maybe I'm just naive.  But when I read that I just assumed that "Detachment" was the new name for "subfaction."  They seem to be filling a similar role.  Or am I totally misunderstanding?

Sub-factions were more like Hammers of Sigmar, Celestial Vindicators, etc. 

Detachments were somewhat akin to Battalions. 

The new system appears to be a blend of the two, but without the unit requirements (which are now the same for everybody, across every army) and without tying them to a particularly colour scheme. IE if Ultramarines clearly had the best sub-faction rules, you were out of luck if you'd painted Imperial Fists. I kind of prefer it this way, because I like following the official lore schemes and it always felt bad to draw the shortstraw in a new codex.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

Seems like OBR and SBGL will be up for pre order this weekend to keep the ferocious pace of new books up...

Also, this is probably just me, but the Bone Tithe is one of my favourite things in AoS, I just find it both scary and hilarious at the same time. Hopefully OBR gets a book to do their awesome lore justice.

Edited by mojojojo101
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

17 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The 'old' Stormcast were called Sigmarines for a reason. I much prefer the new aesthetic, it helps them visually standout as something different than Ground Marines and just generally being better proportioned.

for as much as I absolutely adore the Judicator models and enjoy the Liberators, it would be great to see them in sleeker armor for sure. Please no more capes though.......

3 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Oh this Lore is beautiful. Rampant Bonereapers built from monster bones and armies of Bonereapers basically providing safety from afar for Dawnbringer Crusades just to pounce and announce a bone tithe on the settled community is glorious!!

even better, those bone tithes are not guaranteed battles! since the article also mentions mortals in the Ossiarch Empire live relatively safe lives. GW has me doubly intrigued!!! OBR was already my first pick for doing a Death army.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I spoke to someone at GW HQ about neoprene batlemats as they have amazing ones at warhammer world to play on (they even have little skulls at certain point on the mat like the dead centre of the board so easy to place objective). 

I asked why they don't sell them and was told because GW aren't able to make them. Since bringing everything in house they want to be able to make everything themselves.

Plus cost would be to high if they had another company make them for GW to sell and people would buy from the already excellent battlemat producers. 

Maybe in the in future if they invest in a printing machine but I would hold your breath. 

I won't be holding my breath, but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility. Last year (as I understand) GW opened up a brand new dedicated factory for their "Citadel Colour" range. Freeing up 1000Sqm+ from their main factory floor. Whilst I presume this space is being filled (probably already has been) with new machinery, GW has further expansionist plans. (I could see a "Citadel Scenery" department focused purely on the development and production of scenery and gaming mats.) 

GamesWorkshop seems to be coming around to the idea that some diversification is good for the bottom line. The push into Animation and Subscriptions has been paying off and with the potential monster of Amazon on the horizon, Games Workshop would be foolish to leave money on the table by not making them. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

Seems like OBR and SBGL will be up for pre order this weekend to keep the ferocious pace of new books up...

I may be wrong (and often am) but I think this Saturday is still this week. The article says next week. So my guess is: Sunday preview this weekend, actual pre-order the following Saturday.

"Join the ranks of Katakros yourself when Battletome: Ossiarch Bonereapers arrives for pre-order next week, and bring a touch of order to the undead hordes."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Ogors teaching the Gargants that you can trade goods and services in return for steady streams of ale and food is one of my favourite lore aspects from AOS. The Sons call it 'The Great Secret'.

My favorite bit is the NightHaunt proving “unstompable” at first so the Bonesplitterz Drakkfoot tribes, veterans of hunting the ethereal daemons & transparent monsters in Aqshy, taught them that they gotta believe in themselves to stomp the ghosts.

“The Sons of Behemat have largely been unaware of the going ons of the other races, since so little affects them. There are some humorous bits about them trying to catch Endless Spells after they appeared, but the first big impact on them were the Nighthaunts. In one of their first encounters with them, Lady Olynder turned the Mega-gargant warlord who attacked her into a bunch of black roses blowing away on the wind. This event, witnessed by the rest of the tribe shook their faith in themselves, and then after that found they could no longer stomp the ghosts. They just passed right through them. This fear was spread throughout the entire gargant society until the Drakkfoot Bonesplitterz showed them that if you believed in it enough you could harm the Nighthaunts. Amusingly the gargants refer to these times as the Sole Wars.”

3 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

One of the reasons I like kruleboyz so much. It's so cool to see orc (oruuks) using psychological warfare and guerrilla tactics. 

Plus they’re also smart on trading where necessary. There’s accounts of Kruleboyz having parleys with Maggotkin so they can get samples of their diseases to turn into deadlier toxic weapons.

and Hobgrots are merchants by nature.

You swindle and deal among the realms’ unsavoury societies, until it’s time to grab your slitta-knife and line up in formation.

Most Hobgrots are more merchants than warriors, but no one who follows Gorkamorka can avoid the fight forever. When an Orruk clobbers a group of Hobgrots into submission, roaring that they’re joining the Waaagh! and they’re going to like it, the Hobgrots quickly form ranked lines. The profits of their trading prove useful here, for every Hobgrot goes to battle with a slitta-knife, as well as Duardin-sourced ‘bangstikks’ which poison and ignite their foes. 

Hobgrot Slittaz never forget a debt, and they call in favours to gain the upperhand amongst more brutal creatures. Many in the realms dread the smirking grin of a Hobgrot as they whisper “You Owe Me…””

image0.jpg

11 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Please no more capes though.......

You will paint your fancy new cloaks and like it!

anna-bridge-final-big-2-5-axe-change.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

5 minutes ago, Hollow said:

I won't be holding my breath, but I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility. Last year (as I understand) GW opened up a brand new dedicated factory for their "Citadel Colour" range. Freeing up 1000Sqm+ from their main factory floor. Whilst I presume this space is being filled (probably already has been) with new machinery, GW has further expansionist plans. (I could see a "Citadel Scenery" department focused purely on the development and production of scenery and gaming mats.) 

GamesWorkshop seems to be coming around to the idea that some diversification is good for the bottom line. The push into Animation and Subscriptions has been paying off and with the potential monster of Amazon on the horizon, Games Workshop would be foolish to leave money on the table by not making them. 

I completely agree and I hope they do something more with scenery and battle mats. 

Something GW does well is investing in new technology and investing in improving itself with like you say, new machinery. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Seems 40k is binning sub-factions.

Be interesting to see if this and other systems ends up carrying over to AoS 4.0.

Honestly? Thrilled.

As a Night Lords player, I've been shoehorned into leadership shenanigans in game systems that ignore leadership shenanigans for well over a decade. Half the factions simply don't care about Night Lords and Night Lords get very little benefit, while other factions get huge bonuses flat out just for existing.

Now, I ought to be able to take a daemon engine focused list, with bonuses for daemon engines, without having to say that my guys are using Iron Warriors rules. I LOVE this change. It's what the subfaction rules should have been since they were introduced in like 5th ed. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

My favorite bit is the NightHaunt proving “unstompable” at first so the Bonesplitterz Drakkfoot tribes, veterans of hunting the ethereal daemons & transparent monsters in Aqshy, taught them that they gotta believe in themselves to stomp the ghosts.

“The Sons of Behemat have largely been unaware of the going ons of the other races, since so little affects them. There are some humorous bits about them trying to catch Endless Spells after they appeared, but the first big impact on them were the Nighthaunts. In one of their first encounters with them, Lady Olynder turned the Mega-gargant warlord who attacked her into a bunch of black roses blowing away on the wind. This event, witnessed by the rest of the tribe shook their faith in themselves, and then after that found they could no longer stomp the ghosts. They just passed right through them. This fear was spread throughout the entire gargant society until the Drakkfoot Bonesplitterz showed them that if you believed in it enough you could harm the Nighthaunts. Amusingly the gargants refer to these times as the Sole Wars.”

Plus they’re also smart on trading where necessary. There’s accounts of Kruleboyz having parleys with Maggotkin so they can get samples of their diseases to turn into deadlier toxic weapons.

and Hobgrots are merchants by nature.

You swindle and deal among the realms’ unsavoury societies, until it’s time to grab your slitta-knife and line up in formation.

Most Hobgrots are more merchants than warriors, but no one who follows Gorkamorka can avoid the fight forever. When an Orruk clobbers a group of Hobgrots into submission, roaring that they’re joining the Waaagh! and they’re going to like it, the Hobgrots quickly form ranked lines. The profits of their trading prove useful here, for every Hobgrot goes to battle with a slitta-knife, as well as Duardin-sourced ‘bangstikks’ which poison and ignite their foes. 

Hobgrot Slittaz never forget a debt, and they call in favours to gain the upperhand amongst more brutal creatures. Many in the realms dread the smirking grin of a Hobgrot as they whisper “You Owe Me…””

image0.jpg

You will paint your fancy new cloaks and like it!

anna-bridge-final-big-2-5-axe-change.jpg

I tell you what when I was reading the Tome and read 'Sole Wars' I literally laughed till I was on the verge of tears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

even better, those bone tithes are not guaranteed battles! since the article also mentions mortals in the Ossiarch Empire live relatively safe lives. GW has me doubly intrigued!!! OBR was already my first pick for doing a Death army.

This is explored a bit in the Vulture Lord novel. OBR are a very specific type of Undead; they have their own civilisation and while they collect bones (obviously), they mostly do it in an organised, clean and transactional manner. In the novel they simply visit the city of Lament once in every 10 years to collect the tithe, which is prepared and packed by a dedicated order within the city. In return, they effectively wage wars for the citizens and protect them from the forces of Chaos, ensuring peace and prosperity. You can communicate with them normally and reach reasonable agreement. While they may be lawful evil empire, the lawful element is really strong here and people can live relatively good lives under the OBR just rule.

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 1

32 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I may be wrong (and often am) but I think this Saturday is still this week. The article says next week. So my guess is: Sunday preview this weekend, actual pre-order the following Saturday.

"Join the ranks of Katakros yourself when Battletome: Ossiarch Bonereapers arrives for pre-order next week, and bring a touch of order to the undead hordes."

That's what I'd assume: it seems unlikely it'd be up for pre-order before an initial Sunday pre-order preview.

I do hope the SBGL book is up at the same time. It's likely to be, as that's usually the model they've followed, but books like KO and Nurgle were by themselves so it's not impossible the two will be split. I like both armies so am keen to see what both have to offer.

4 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Yeah, it's one of the biggest reasons I've not played Ironjawz yet. I loved how the Black Orcs in Warhammer Fantasy were actually competent and professional frontline soldiers, but the Ironjawz have gone back to just smashin' and bashin', with armor just made of scrap metal bent into shape and the 'Ardboyz at the bottom of the pack.

Edited by acr0ssth3p0nd
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

Yeah, looks like next Saturday to me. I'm curious if we'll get the SBGL too? Seems like they tend to do book and a model releases with 2 armies at a time.

36 minutes ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Yeah, it's one of the biggest reasons I've not played Ironjawz yet. I loved how the Black Orcs in Warhammer Fantasy were actually competent and professional frontline soldiers, but the Ironjawz have gone back to just smashin' and bashin', with armor just made of scrap metal bent into shape and the 'Ardboyz at the bottom of the pack.

Orcs + BoK tome = TactiCool Orcs. One of the neat things about AoS not having toughness as a stat is that 'count as' rules are much less awkward to use. Also, you might just turn away all the orc players if you suddenly have them stop being the good ol' loveable krumpin' enthusiasts we know and love.

• Like 3