The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Grungnisson said:

Look... Could we, maybe, just for a moment take into consideration that this hobby is also _a_game_? And maybe, just maybe, it is rather important for some of the people that the items they spend their money on will be viable within _the_game_ for foreseeable future? And maybe try not to tell them they should ignore, what clearly matters to them?

As it stands GW is releasing a potentially attractive looking box without having addressed the future of the faction. If people have concerns, I see them as both legitimate and relevant.

That's fair enough, I get some people really care about the rules but ultimately no rules last forever and I'm no one to tell anyone how to do their hobby. 

However just focusing on rules can be frustrating, what is hot in this edition may not be in the next or indeed after the initial faq. 

What is a reasonable amount of time for rules to last? Even if the dwarves are discontinued, it looks like it won't be for at least another 6 months

As I stated in a earlier post tho, each of these boxes is under 400 points so can be used for allies regardless if the battalion rules stay and these are attractive (and hopfully discounted) boxes and any way to get cheaper models is a good thing. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Was there a date that went with that trailer? I need to know when ill be dedicating my weekend to Chaos Dwarves

They confirmed last week that they were aiming for the next DLC to be in April and we now know it's Chaos Dwarfs. So no confirmation yet, but we'll supposedly hear news for it in March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marcvs said:

Speaking of the models as such, it's of course a matter of taste but I fail to see all the interest for the dwarf box. Sure, it might come at a discount when compared with the high price of the duardin models (and the usual crazy foot hero markup), but 2/3 of the box (longbeards and runelord) are absolutely generic.

In my case it's just that dwarves are lacking in my mini collection, and these guys are generic enough to fit in the other games I play.

I've been waffling back and forth about picking some up, and this box suddenly made it very convenient to do so.

6 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

GW has historically been pretty reliable when it comes to keeping models playable in their respective faction, but have been pretty bad when it comes to preserving options that break faction barriers. Over the course of the last few years, we lost a number of those options: Grand alliances after the shift to 3rd edition, mercenary companies from GHB 2019 I believe when GHB 2020 came out, Legion of Grief just after Soulblight Gravelords released and also Lethisian Defenders at some point.

Personally, I have become pretty weary of allies and mercenaries. They have a tendency to just disappear when point updates come out and they are not on the list. Plus, by running allies, you are making yourself doubly vulnerable to tome updates breaking existing synergy. I used to run a Knight Azyros in Cities, but that interaction broke when Stormcast got updated. I believe there was also a bunch of trouble with Slaves to Darkness and Beasts of Chaos coallition at the start of this edition.

Preserving cross-faction compatibility just does not seem to be much of a priority for GW. So if you want to get one of those ROR boxes to play them in a faction that can't usually run them, you should accept the possibility that the option might go away as soon as next GHB, and very likely with the next edition.

Exactly, I originally bought into Slaves to Darkness, and Archaon in particular, because I owned the 4 major god armies and figured they were a great purchase because they fit into all 4 armies at once. Because of the keyword system I thought I'd always be able to find at least one of my armies to use them in and there should always be some synergy somewhere. Then this edition they dropped the keyword system entirely and absolutely gutted all synergy between the god armies and S2D. As happy as I am with the current Slaves book and how good everything is, I'm really bummed out with the way GW has been systematically removing the fun cross faction stuff. I would have happily bought into Beasts of Chaos for the same reason as Slaves, but now there's no way. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Slightly unrelated news, but CA just released the launch trailer for Total Warhammer Immortal Empires (out of beta release) and there's a little special tease for you fellow Dawi-Zharr enjoyers! Everyone board the Daemonic Hell Hype Train!!!

Immortal Empires

I still have my Warhammer World Daemonsmith unopened ready for their tabletop return, we're one step closer!

I'm glad to see the Dawi being the reasonable one's as always.

Imagine wanting to ally with Elgi! 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Not AoS, but Immortal Empires for Total War: Warhammer 3 is out of beta and there's a teaser for Chaos Dwarfs at the end.

BY LONG LOST NEHEKHARA THE CHAOS DWARFS ARE COMING!!!! Sorry for being late to this party, I had Calc-II IRL and just got online. Here's hoping that this upcoming DLC also comes alongside some news in both TOW and AOS for the sons and daughters of HASHUT!!! 

2 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I can't believe I get to say this for real but:

CHAOS DWARVES CONFIRMED!!!!!!*

(*in Total War: Warhammer, but I'll take it)

Today is truly a good day @Public Universal Duardin, I'm sure the adventurous @Beliman and even Long-Bearded @Clan's Cynic are sharpening their axes in joyful grumbling as ancient grudges are soon to be fulfilled.... I'm just hoping for daemon trains and another Middle-Eastern themed faction for me to collect while I reminisce about LONG LOST NEHEKHARA!!!!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 2/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Ogregut said:

Regarding clearing stock - I'm sure they have the technology now to grind up sprues to be reused. 

not so sure although they really, really, really need to do something like this... they will destroy old/unsold products and I just can't wrap my head around why you wouldn't try reusing as much of that wasted plastic as possible. hell, let us return extra (empty) sprues to stores to recoup even more materials...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

not so sure although they really, really, really need to do something like this... they will destroy old/unsold products and I just can't wrap my head around why you wouldn't try reusing as much of that wasted plastic as possible. hell, let us return extra (empty) sprues to stores to recoup even more materials...

I believe recycling polystyrene is expensive, as it involves heating it up to around 400C in a specific environment (no oxygen or it'll burn). I was under the impression GW didn't recycle old sprues (and presumably unsold minis) for this reason.

I wish they did though, throwing away empty sprues never feels good to me.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Was it not on the latest financial report? I'm sure I read it somewhere. 

Edit: Found it, in the July 2022 report

'During the period we have started to recycle plastic - our granulator can take in finished goods and turn them back into raw materials. It’s early days but a major step in the right direction.' 

Edited by Ogregut
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

I believe recycling polystyrene is expensive, as it involves heating it up to around 400C in a specific environment (no oxygen or it'll burn). I was under the impression GW didn't recycle old sprues (and presumably unsold minis) for this reason.

I wish they did though, throwing away empty sprues never feels good to me.

Since GW polystyrene is apparently worth its price in gold, a few burners shouldn't make that much of a dent.

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

They confirmed last week that they were aiming for the next DLC to be in April and we now know it's Chaos Dwarfs. So no confirmation yet, but we'll supposedly hear news for it in March.

honestly I was hoping for Lord packs before any new factions... Cathay and Kislev both could use some gap-filling in their roster. We STILL don't have the prologue Kossar Spears in the main Kislev list ffs.

37 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Was it not on the latest financial report? I'm sure I read it somewhere. 

Edit: Found it, in the July 2022 report

'During the period we have started to recycle plastic - our granulator can take in finished goods and turn them back into raw materials. It’s early days but a major step in the right direction.' 

thank you so much for this!! I did actually look into their financial report a bit, looking for something like this. I obviously did not find it in the ~30min I took to skim it x)

56 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Glad they're doing something. I do hope that, eventually, GW stores will start accepting old sprues (by all means it can be limited to GW sprues to avoid slightly different compositions). Even better if they have some sort of reward scheme for bringing in your old sprues (ten old sprues gets you a £5 voucher), though that's certainly wishful thinking.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Was there a date that went with that trailer? I need to know when ill be dedicating my weekend to Chaos Dwarves

no date for chorfs, trailer itself was celebrating their 'full' release of Immortal Empires to people who don't own the first 2 games. IE itself is still in beta since the work going into it is legitimately a second game's worth...

DLC is slated for April, and they mention something about update 3.0 which wasn't clear if that is ALSO for April or not.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Twisted Firaun said:

BY LONG LOST NEHEKHARA THE CHAOS DWARFS ARE COMING!!!! Sorry for being late to this party, I had Calc-II IRL and just got online. Here's hoping that this upcoming DLC also comes alongside some news in both TOW and AOS for the sons and daughters of HASHUT!!! 

Today is truly a good day @Public Universal Duardin, I'm sure the adventurous @Beliman and even Long-Bearded @Clan's Cynic are sharpening their axes in joyful grumbling as ancient grudges are soon to be fulfilled.... I'm just hoping for daemon trains and another Middle-Eastern themed faction for me to collect while I reminisce about LONG LOST NEHEKHARA!!!!

If nothing else, you will get Tomb Kings with TOW! Maybe you can then use the models as Deathrattle in AOS? 😁

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

42 minutes ago, RileyArlic said:

This is for 40k 10th, but a big pastebin is making the rounds. We could see similar things happen for AoS in terms of future battletomes.

Some of it honestly seems too good to be true, but GW have been working on a new website for YEARS from what I understand.

https://pastebin.com/WxGw8sDA

It seems like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. All I want is a full digital codex including lore and art that gets updated with FAQs,  points updates or new content as it is added during the edition.  Having it automatically update if there is a mid edition refresh Lumineth style would be a nice bonus. I bought about 15 digital battletomes last edition. I've bought one physical book this time round. I get that GW are worried about piracy but Apple solved that problem years ago. If you charge a reasonable price and  make it easy and useful to buy the product then piracy will drop off. 

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

It seems like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. All I want is a full digital codex including lore and art that gets updated with FAQs,  points updates or new content as it is added during the edition.  Having it automatically update if there is a mid edition refresh Lumineth style would be a nice bonus. I bought about 15 digital battletomes last edition. I've bought one physical book this time round. I get that GW are worried about piracy but Apple solved that problem years ago. If you charge a reasonable price and  make it easy and useful to buy the product then piracy will drop off. 

This was my feeling too. My confusion is, who is the target audience?

People that like and rely on digital products are either pirating or simply relying on battlescribe.

People that go to tournaments or prefer physical products already have those.

If army-building would be simplified, there's almost no need for a list-building app of any kind. 

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

Yeah...if that pastebin is true they are over complicating something that has been working in other places for years now. It actually reads worse then sticking to what they are doing now

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah...if that pastebin is true they are over complicating something that has been working in other places for years now. It actually reads worse then sticking to what they are doing now

Good thing Games Workshop isn't known for over complicating things or we'd be in trouble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I would assume that their cross selling strategy to monetise the existing player base is to get people to start new armies, the fairly rapidly changing rules help to fuel that, and also that they don't tend to expand existing armies much but rather release new.

hence these boxes I would guess is part of that as they open new armies for people and this would likely mean you can only play them as mercenaries for a limited time (maybe until nxt edition) as ppl have suggested here. Also the fact that these are not unique models but rather existing ones would reduce the feelbad of removing the rules (at least in GW mind I think) as people can still use them "just start a new army, u r already 25% there"

still quite happy though to be able to use KB in ironjawz without going big waagh :D even if its a short window

Yeah that's always been the trick with allies and such. You add something in intending to have a neat thematic ally for your main force, then suddenly it becomes an army in and of itself.

The greatest 'ally rug pull' was, iirc, when they moved from 6th to 7th edition 40k. They made it so you could ally Tau and Eldar together, as well as a ton of other things, and then suddenly the rules changed and you couldn't do it any more. 

Thankfully, in AoS, the idea of allies has stuck around in some way since they started it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RileyArlic said:

This is for 40k 10th, but a big pastebin is making the rounds. We could see similar things happen for AoS in terms of future battletomes.

Some of it honestly seems too good to be true, but GW have been working on a new website for YEARS from what I understand.

https://pastebin.com/WxGw8sDA

Mixed feelings.

The good first: Tournament Play is its own thing, that’s a win.

The bad: Smells like what Wizards of the coast tried with DnD recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

The bad: Smells like what Wizards of the coast tried with DnD recently.

The issue here is the Warhammer community is super small and more quiet so it would probably happen unlike the DnD community that went online and went crazy getting them to overturn the coming changes.