The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yeah, that's certainly a cool idea. Although I like my Enlightened birbs too and wouldn't want to replace them as I love them like children, plus another disc-riding unit would perhaps be more difficult to make unique than ground-based troops IMO. i just want Tzeentchian armored warriors (that hurl spells cause come on, if any army should have that, it's us) cause I think Chaos armor looks rad and the concept art for Tzeentchian Chaos armor was always the coolest IMO (thinking of Adrian Smith's work but there are a few other cool depictions as well), even before they've incorporated more exotic design cues. I'm definitely happy with the mashup of swirly eastern trim and classic european armor (and random cool stuff) they've used for the Curseling.

I know the last Beast of Chaos battle tome was controversial.... but thank God it allowed us to run enlightened on foot (even though they're mid without the discs). It is an unwritten law of the universe that 99% of all villains need to have awesome armor, Tzeentch naturally took this rule to its logical extreme. I honestly can't wait for The Old World and Grand Cathay, think of the potential...... If I had the skill I'd make a mixture of the two (Cathay and Tzeentch) armies that looks like the what would happen if Mamluks had invaded China.Unknown.jpeg.108585718159b898be7d461d43221ce0.jpegUnknown-1.jpeg.90e9d2428f40b5ce65b8c7d036bfceb7.jpeg

Total-war-warhammer-3-grand-cathay-tabletop-rules-screenshot-terracotta-sentinel-concept-art-drawing.webp Celestial-guard-concept-art-1.webp

While I like the idea of combining them, maybe similar to how Gitz and troggs I’m not sure that will happen. If dwarves didn’t get combined I’m not sure about these two. 

I don’t think we will see a battle box. I’m thinking ogres with new butcher for one Battletome and SOB with something new.

The fear is that it leaves gitz with nothing. However, there were rumors a long time ago, that gitz was getting a duel box with S2D. That is starting to look more and more true. Could easily be a duel Box for winter. We know S2D is coming and I truly can’t see them skipping Gitz by that much considering they had early tome celestial 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jetlife said:

While I like the idea of combining them, maybe similar to how Gitz and troggs I’m not sure that will happen. If dwarves didn’t get combined I’m not sure about these two. 

I don’t think we will see a battle box. I’m thinking ogres with new butcher for one Battletome and SOB with something new.

The fear is that it leaves gitz with nothing. However, there were rumors a long time ago, that gitz was getting a duel box with S2D. That is starting to look more and more true. Could easily be a duel Box for winter. We know S2D is coming and I truly can’t see them skipping Gitz by that much considering they had early tome celestial 

I feel like Imperial Knights show that GW will keep their big army separate for folks to purchase a separate tome.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

You know what. Im calling BS. This Tweet came after the Footprint. Just trying to drum up activity.

Next he'll have breaking news that squats are returning to 40k!!

I put most what he says on the same level as spiky bits - clickbait of the highest order. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, novakai said:

i believe Robb was trolling on the second rumor but the idea is totally lost to people on this forum 

Maybe because none of his posts ever have any hint of ribbing or sarcasm and he constantly spews all kinds of random information he gets/makes up. Whether anything he says ends up being true or not (usually not), I never trust a thing that dude says.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

The big question in my mind is: will this be the first year with out a brand new faction which doesn't build off existing models in the range?

Because so far we had: 2015, stormcast, 2016, fyreslayers, 2017, Kharadrons, 2018, Idoneth, 2019, Ossiarchs, 2020: Lumineth, 2021, Kruleboyzs. While the latest is functionaly part of war clans, it is conceptually a new faction.

They all pretty much came out of the blue, rather than expanding something existing like gitz, soulbli ght or the chaos armies.

So id we're going to get something similar this year, they are running out of time to preview it. Naturally I'd love chaos dwarves, as it seems as though they are coming.

Equally, maybe they have enough factions now, and aren't going to continue that trend. As I said back in 2020, From what we know about their design timeline, we should expect a lull this year and into next, due to the delays of the 2020 lockdowns working their way through the production pipelines. That could we push 2022s new army back into next year.

We shall see I guess!

• Like 2

@EccentricCircle and @Chikout

Yeah, given all the fluff and references from Warcry and AOS3 publications, I'm quite sure the next brand-new faction is Chaos Duardin : as pointed out it would be a "brand-new" (aka reimagined) Chaos faction (so, first time), and due to the two-year lead on new factions, COVID could have pushed them in spring 2023. 

That or Dawnbringer, also next year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, xking said:

Dawnbringer crusade will most likely be a sup-faction of Cities of Sigmar

I think that what Whitefang is trying to say is that the Dawnbreaker Crusades are not a faction at all but a background narrative event that is taking place like the Indomitus Crusade in 40k or  The Soul wars in AoS 2. There will probably be lore about the Dawnbreaker Crusades in the new Cities book but it is unlikely that there will be anything directly rules related. 

• Like 12

Why wouldn't Dawnbringers 'replace' Cities of Sigmar though? It'd essentially just be a namechange with the same themes, models and playstyle, but with the fluff and naming better suggesting they're actively on the offensive and means they aren't 'tied down' to being from a small set of very specific Cities (since GW seem to have moved away from Build-Your-Own-Subfaction rules).

Plus Cities of Sigmar was always a weird name for a Battletome, sounding like an Order-version of Battletome: Chaos Dreadhold.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

That or Dawnbringer, also next year. 

Maybe Chaos Duardins will be released in 2023 but for Cities of Sigmar, I'm betting on spring 2024 (around march or april, maybe february with luck). A few months before July 2024 which should mark the launch of AoS's 4th edition (if GW respects its release cycle usual of a new version every three years).

29 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Why wouldn't Dawnbringers 'replace' Cities of Sigmar though? It'd essentially just be a namechange with the same themes, models and playstyle, but with the fluff and naming better suggesting they're actively on the offensive and means they aren't 'tied down' to being from a small set of very specific Cities (since GW seem to have moved away from Build-Your-Own-Subfaction rules).

Plus Cities of Sigmar was always a weird name for a Battletome, sounding like an Order-version of Battletome: Chaos Dreadhold.

Because the Dawnbringer Crusades are a background narrative event. The cites are trying to settle the lands of Ghur in the name of sigmar. 

What happens when the narrative moves on away from Ghur and the crusades stop? 

Maybe they will change the name from cites of Sigmar but I doubt it will be to Dawnbringer Crusades. 

15 hours ago, MitGas said:

Exactly, here lies the problem. I said they were an AoS-ified heir. Unfortunately that‘s not a proper heir IMO. I’m sure some disagree but I know that some agree with me too. I‘m pretty sure O&G were beloved more than IJs, at least by the guys I know they were, and that‘s in part precisely because they gave players options. IJ armies are about as individual as Star Wars battle droids which is a bit of a shame. A few more kits would help - I don‘t want them reinvent the army for it, I can accept it changed and I understand the idea behind it. But chariots, more heroes, maybe another cheaper battleline could do wonders to make IJ even more compelling, especially visually. 

It wouldn't fix the models issue, but they could try exploring combined factions a bit more, like with big waaagh! & LotFP. Without gitmob you probably can't really recreate that old O&G feel, but having an option for combined orcs and goblins again would be cool, and its an area I'd like to see explored a bit more.

11 hours ago, Jaskier said:

As a Sons of Behemat player, I wouldn't mind a Warclans style update for them and Ogors depending on how they do it. I would welcome the diversity of lists it may unlock, especially as I've eyed up Beastclaw stuff for ages. We'll see. 

Given there's two Destruction tomes coming, this would mean Gloomspite are getting theirs too, meaning all three Destruction books in need of an update would be getting one by way of two of them getting combined. I think that's pretty cool if that ends up being the case, but it's just a rumor and Rob doesn't have a 100% track record so, again, we'll see. 

If this happens it will feel like they're just trying to get destruction out of the way.

27 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

image.jpeg.ded3a907803f57c73be94e5b5fa41735.jpeg

Gitz!!! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certainly looks like it could be gitz, but it looks more moonclan than spiderfang, and I'd be shocked if the solo hero gitz get isn't a scuttleboss. Maybe its from one of the upcoming warcry warbands?

10 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Because the Dawnbringer Crusades are a background narrative event. The cites are trying to settle the lands of Ghur in the name of sigmar. 

What happens when the narrative moves on away from Ghur and the crusades stop? 

Maybe they will change the name from cites of Sigmar but I doubt it will be to Dawnbringer Crusades. 

Aren't the Crusades taking place all over the Realms though? It's just the AoS metaplot is focused on Ghur for now, rather than the Crusades themselves.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

image.jpeg.ded3a907803f57c73be94e5b5fa41735.jpeg

Gitz!!! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daddy likes. 

Random bit of musing but I hope the designers behind any further moon loons are the ones behind the sneaky snuffler, squig herd kits. I really do like the newer slim and more proportioned designs compared to the classic chunky look of the basic moon grots, squig riders. 

Edited by Vasshpit