The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

It's funny, not even their grand alliance wants those two. Gotta sting.

Funny part is that as great as that joke is, they absolutely would have stood out way more if they were the Aelves fighting alongside Orruks, or the Duardin marching alongside Gargants. 😞

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Funny part is that as great as that joke is, they absolutely would have stood out way more if they were the Aelves fighting alongside Orruks, or the Duardin marching alongside Gargants. 😞

Agreed, I'd totally like to see some factions changing GAs (I also like the Idoneth suggestion for Death). I find the whole Grand Alliance thing a dumb oversimplification anyways. I mean, Grand Alliance Chaos? Sounds already weird and they and Death arguably make the most sense. Yes, they can form alliances, even grand ones but it's not happening often usually. And Nagash might be cool and all but they really need more driving forces than just him IMO.

Order has factions in it that don't really feel all that similar and Destruction feels like the "other" GA, added cause they already had 3. 

I like when forces operate independently but I figure it's down to the somewhat endless realms (they already went a bit back on that idea, it was a bad starting point for the narrative in a very particular way IMO, really - I do like the interconnected realms but ultimately it would've been much better to make them smaller - all of them equaling two times the size of Earth would already be gigantic) and thus the need to have some kind of overall driving forces...

Personally I believe the endless realms will become "smaller and smaller" in time so that more locations and characters gain significance and the big bads will enforce less of their will (e.g. Death gaining more dramatis personae than basically just Nagash). Perhaps then the Grand Alliances will be slowly done away with too. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Agreed, I'd totally like to see some factions changing GAs (I also like the Idoneth suggestion for Death). I find the whole Grand Alliance thing a dumb oversimplification anyways. I mean, Grand Alliance Chaos? Sounds already weird and they and Death arguably make the most sense. Yes, they can form alliances, even grand ones but it's not happening often usually. And Nagash might be cool and all but they really need more driving forces than just him IMO.

Order has factions in it that don't really feel all that similar and Destruction feels like the "other" GA, added cause they already had 3. 

I like when forces operate independently but I figure it's down to the somewhat endless realms (they already went a bit back on that idea, it was a bad starting point for the narrative in a very particular way IMO, really - I do like the interconnected realms but ultimately it would've been much better to make them smaller - all of them equaling two times the size of Earth would already be gigantic) and thus the need to have some kind of overall driving forces...

Personally I believe the endless realms will become "smaller and smaller" in time so that more locations and characters gain significance and the big bads will enforce less of their will (e.g. Death gaining more dramatis personae than basically just Nagash). Perhaps then the Grand Alliances will be slowly done away with too. 

I could see the Realms size shrinking as well. Each of the focal points we have seen for each realm so far, are already vastly greater than the Old World, many times the size.

33 minutes ago, MitGas said:

I think Order is, for the most part, the loose "alliance" of the pantheon of the Gods and their devotees or creations of the Age of Myth that stand against Chaos. The exceptions being the 2 gods formerly of that Pantheon who have their own Grand Alliance, Nagash and GorkaMorka. Order I think is mostly a "enemy of my enemy is my friend" kinda a deal.

Death is pretty much getting what you suggest as Nagash has been taken out of the picture, at least temporarily, by Teclis, and to my knowledge the Grand Alliance is in flux as a lot of the more "independant" Mortarchs (i.e. the ones who don't want to serve Nagash) are taking advantage, whilst the more loyal Mortarchs are either tied up (katakross and perhaps Olynder in the 8 Points campaign) or also temporarily out of the picture too (Arkhan after his duel with Eltharion).

Personally I think Destruction fits as an "other". Their unifying factor is Gorkamorka, but ultimately they are basically the "non-Chaos Chaos", they are an anti-order group of races that are not aligned with the Chaos gods. Their honoring of strength I guess also means that with a strong enough leader (Kragnos for example) they are actually one of the more unified GAs sometimes.

Chaos, as you say, is one that fits together best (the irony is that in some ways Chaos is more unified than Order imo), obviously they are unified by the Dark Gods, and Archaon as an overall commander but obviously that is a little loose with such fractious groups over an area the size of the realms.

Ultimately I like the Grand Alliance system, and so long as it is interpreted fairly loosely (the forces of Order being generally more opposed to the other GAs than any of the factions that compose it) I think it works as a way to organise the playable armies into distinct groups - and does it far better than WH:FB's "Order" and "Destruction" breakdown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

I dearly hope that the realms will not get smaller, and that they will be nowhere near being as small as merely two times the size of Earth either alone or together. One of my favorite things about Age of Sigmar is how vast the setting is, like 40k. If you want "more significant locations and characters", then just focus the narrative on some parts of the world just like they do in 40k and have already done to some extent in AoS.

Edited by JackOfBlades
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, JackOfBlades said:

I dearly hope that the realms will not get smaller, and that they will be nowhere near being as small as merely two times the size of Earth either alone or together. One of my favorite things about Age of Sigmar is how vast the setting is, like 40k. If you want "more significant locations and characters", then just focus the narrative on some parts of the world just like they do in 40k and have already done to some extent in AoS.

Yeah, if their writing is up to it (so far it really isn't). Two times our Earth is gigantic enough for everything to be in there. Hell, pretty much all of WHFB fit into Europe and the setting was much better (to be fair, it had 20+ years to become better though, AoS will have much a better setting in 20 years too...).

I don't see the point in having a few significant places and lots of undefined fluff (not the background info kind this time) around them in a fantasy setting TBH. Usually a proximity in location leads to war and unlike futuristic settings where space travel is an easy option, most factions can't just beam themselves where they want to. So yeah, the current setting is a better base for hiking than war.

Personally I think less is more.... especially if less is made to be more. I have no doubt it'll get there one day but I'd rather have a couple The Old World's "Europe"-sized realms with a bit of undefined territory to let those that really need to be so creative their stuff can't fit into the rest of the game have room for it.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

Usually a proximity in location leads to war and unlike futuristic settings where space travel is an easy option, most factions can't just beam themselves where they want to.

Isn't that the whole point of realm gates though? Not arguing either way's better... just that the vastness of the setting is deliberately mitigated by the realm gates. I can't remember where I read it but they specifically have the gates as they found it hard to justify why, to give an example,  Seraphon would be fighting the Empire in WHF on your table. These days, bam - a realm gate put them together. 

Edited by lare2
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Isn't that the whole point of realm gates though? Not arguing either way's better... just that the vastness of the setting is deliberately mitigated by the realm gates. I can't remember where I read it but they specifically have the gates as they found it hard to justify why, to give an example,  Seraphon would be fighting the Empire in WHF on your table. These days, bam - a realm gate put them together. 

Yes, absolutely. But if almost all military actions happen via realm gates (and as far as I'm aware, there aren't all that many), they'd all be fortified positions (think Cadia in 40k) and pretty much them (or the garrisons) and their surroundings would be the "hot spots" of the setting, with the vast rest of the realms (something I find worse than properly defined, smaller realms - the main point I'm actually arguing) being more or less uninteresting on a global scale unless an invasion bears fruit and army X just rampages through another realm (then they wouldn't care for those locations either though). I'm not sure if dividing realms between major factions is all that practical either.

It isn't all that logical in my sight and frankly only supports gigantic forces clashing into each other, as a smaller raiding party would - in a setting where they thought about the consequences - simply be destroyed on the other side of the realm gate thus making travel via realm gates uninteresting. I just don't see how gigantic realms are a tangible bonus and as far as I'm aware, people like the already well-defined spots in AoS best. But to each their own, it's not like it stops me from enjoying AoS, I just think that narratively it's not a strong choice and only sounds cool on paper. I just see a couple of gigantic realms that each should house lots of locations not really comparable to the idea of stars in 40k, where they can cherry-pick destinations much easier which in a way that reduces the overall vastness (emptiness) and thus make the setting compelling. But in time these things will be better defined too, AoS is still young. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

What are we expecting goes up this week Realm Walkers? Could it be Warcry!?

Next week are going to show abilities for Warcry warbands. Good timing if next saturday is preorder date! I still have hope for Drekki, it would be perfect timing because I need a new book to read (I finished 4th book of Malus Darkblade two days ago, I need to return to the mortal realms!).

Btw, Total War Warhammer has an alpha/beta test going on for new Immortal Empires (only for streamers it seems), and it looks really good. Archaon is not riding a pony anymore!

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 6:26 AM, KingBrodd said:

I could see the Realms size shrinking as well. Each of the focal points we have seen for each realm so far, are already vastly greater than the Old World, many times the size.

I like the idea of having a set map for each realm with the borders of the map cutting off the edges with the constant promise that there is more beyond the map to encourage those of us wishing to develop our settings that opportunity. It is an easy win-win in terms of design and lore.

The promise of strange far off hinterlands were even the Gods may have never visited but also areas that are not immediately focused on in terms of game and lore. Maybe a character or two can arrive from across some dread sea and reveal that they have only heard tell of the brutish cult of Sigmar from traders. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

What are we expecting goes up this week Realm Walkers? Could it be Warcry!?

My bet is for Warcry considering all the articles we have seen on Warcom in these past days.

Probably there are still issues with CSM release.

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

CSM, Warcry, Necromunda and Underworlds before Tzeentch vs Lumineth 

There isn't much necromunda left to come. I think they've done the first wave of ash wastes. There will be more vehicle kits for the classic warbands down the line, but nothing imminent.

I think 40K is most likely after a few "filler weeks" but warcry is a definite possibility. They've really been pushing it this last week, which seems to happen when they preview a box late, or release it early. A mainline AoS week seems less likely, but not beyond the (mortal) realms of possibility!

CSM seems to be an issue behind the scenes rather than a conscious decision on GW's part to hold them back. They have pretty much never released a new Codex/Battletome and had a model release delay except when something's gone wrong in production/delivery.

My guess is they'll end up thrown in 'as soon as they're ready' even if that means double-teaming with another major release like the Lumineth vs Tzeentch box.

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

CSM seems to be an issue behind the scenes rather than a conscious decision on GW's part to hold them back. They have pretty much never released a new Codex/Battletome and had a model release delay except when something's gone wrong in production/delivery.

My guess is they'll end up thrown in 'as soon as they're ready' even if that means double-teaming with another major release like the Lumineth vs Tzeentch box.

Didn't they do that with eldar? 

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

The Lumineth vs Tzeentch cashgrab is no major release though! It‘s just an extra annoying way to give me a new Curseling (I want it now! 😭), where I got to work together with a totally misguided Lumineth player (ewww) to split the box. Oh, the horror! Did they really think they could get *me* to collect Lumineth? 

Thankfully I actually need more Acolytes and Tzaangors. I‘m like the only Tzeentch player in the world at this point. (More Enlightened/Skyfires are of no use for me either, so why can‘t they just release the two cool models and make them a bit more expensive and be done with it?)

Yes, I‘m ranting once again but that‘s actually my biggest hobby, so it‘s all good. 😎 

• Confused 2

I'm both disappointed and relieved that Warcry isn't up for pre-order next week. I really want to know the full details of this edition and I don't think we'll get those until the reviews are out, but I have another week to work on my backlog. It's amazing how much an imminent release increases motivation.