The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Malin said:

Anything interesting on twitch today? Any news?

Wasn't able to watch it.

AOS Shorts did a nice little write up of what Ben Johnson covered:

https://aosshorts.com/gloomspite-gitz-with-ben-johnson-twitch-summary/

There's also a new preview up on the community page:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/02/gloomspite-gitz-preview-part-1-the-basics-and-allegiance-abilitiesgw-homepage-post-4/

• Thanks 4

My guess is Skaven aren't coming until 2020 (the Year of the Rat) and it will be an early release, maybe even in January. Skaven have quite a few models that need updates, and are a popular GW IP so I don't think they will rush them like they did with Beasts of Chaos and just give them a terrain piece/endless spells.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

My guess is Skaven aren't coming until 2020 (the Year of the Rat) and it will be an early release, maybe even in January. Skaven have quite a few models that need updates, and are a popular GW IP so I don't think they will rush them like they did with Beasts of Chaos and just give them a terrain piece/endless spells.

I'd personally hope that this is the case. I'd hate to think they release the two biggest horde armies so close together. I know I don't have to go mad with models but the grots have a lot of new and exciting kits and have been my favourite army ever since I got in to the game, but the skaven come a very close 2nd. I'd much prefer them get their own slot and time in the lime light too, grots have had some awesome previews and I think skacen deserve the same! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rollcage said:

My Expectation is

Gloomspite Jan. Battletome Fyreslayers in Feb, Skaven release March (end of month).

Speculation: Ironjawz Second release, Deathrattle skeletons and Darkoath/Slaanesh later in the year.

Hmm.  Kind of backwards.  They already confirmed Slaneesh for this year, and something related to soul wars (Hysh/ulgu aleves to counter Slaneesh?).    And darkoath is pretty obvious at this point being the last malign portents herald and them having a nightvault warband.  

Why do you expect skaven so soon and why particularly fyreslayers vs any other existing battletome faction? 

The problem with skaven is that so much is still metal (not even resin).  Most of the newer  plastic models people have are from island of blood which is oop, so newer players cant buy them from GW.   This is not a BoC situation. There are not enough plastic kits to go in the brick stores. They need a big release like moonclan and I can't see another big release so soon for an older factions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My Expectation is

Gloomspite Jan. Battletome Fyreslayers in Feb, Skaven release March (end of month).

Speculation: Ironjawz Second release, Deathrattle skeletons and Darkoath/Slaanesh later in the year.

Skeletons? I am as surprised to read  as I am excited if they look as good as the Sepulchral guard

• Like 1

Battletome Fyreslayers in Feb, Skaven release March (end of month).

I doubt there‘ll be any relaunch of Battletomes for factions who already have one, at least that would not make much sense imo. I also don‘t see Deathrattle getting anything new.

Edited by JackStreicher

19 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Hmm.  Kind of backwards.  They already confirmed Slaneesh for this year, and something related to soul wars (Hysh/ulgu aleves to counter Slaneesh?).    And darkoath is pretty obvious at this point being the last malign portents herald and them having a nightvault warband.  

Why do you expect skaven so soon and why particularly fyreslayers vs any other existing battletome faction? 

The problem with skaven is that so much is still metal (not even resin).  Most of the newer  plastic models people have are from island of blood which is oop, so newer players cant buy them from GW.   This is not a BoC situation. There are not enough plastic kits to go in the brick stores. They need a big release like moonclan and I can't see another big release so soon for an older factions. 

Last year was:
Maggotkin - Nagash Tome - Daughters - Idoneth before may. 
Then Night haunt/Stormcast chamber and Beast of Chaos tome.

I'm Expecting similar this year.
Gloomspite - Fyreslayers tome - Skaven release - ???? release before june

Slaanesh is major story, last year the story came out around june with soul wars. 

5 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

By the way i'm not following the conversation cause of the mod reminder to stay on topic, not to ignore your reply! I could go on for hours talking Dispossessed 😍

Sorry again for the offtopic.

Good call.  I posted that response before I saw the mod reminder - my bad.  But I don't really claim to have any deep insight on the subject.  I said everything I thought about the matter in that post.

29 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I also don‘t see Deathrattle getting anything new.

Death rattle has the only shadespire warband not usable in Age of Sigmar unless with a Grand Alliance. And Deathrattle also disappeared as a separate allegiance in the last GH.

It could mean nothing but it’s interesting to note.

Just noticed something interesting on Marakarr Bloodsky's sprue. 

See what I'm seeing. Yes, it's a centipede. 

Either someone at GW is obsessed with centipedes, or it might be a cue for the next AoS narrative to come. 

What do you guys think ? :)

IMG_20190102_234538.jpg

35 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I doubt there‘ll be any relaunch of Battletomes for factions who already have one, at least that would not make much sense imo. I also don‘t see Deathrattle getting anything new.

I disagree.  I am willing to bet that we see a couple micro-releases that involve mainly a new book and a couple of kits.  There are a number of early AoS armies operating very old books that also have room for a kit or two and would be ripe targets for mini-releases.  I would not be surprised if GW is sitting on a few sculpts for situations like this and are just looking for a good logistical time to insert them between larger releases.  They did that with Beasts of Chaos - which practically came out of nowhere and made a pretty big splash for what was one of the most niche factions of Warhammer Fantasy.  Ironjawz, FyreSlayers, Flesh Eater Courts, Kharadron Overlords, Bonesplitterz, Seraphon, and Beastclaw Raiders all seem like good choices for an updated book and a mini-release.

GW has always been fond of rewriting army books for new editions of their game in the past and it makes sense since it is an easy way to generate sales.  I can't see why they would stop that practice now.  Sylvaneth seem like they don't really need any new kits aside from Endless Spells - but I would not at all be surprised to see a book + spell release for them.  I would honestly be surprised if GW did not slot a few releases like this into 2019.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's been rumoured for a while now that any of the AoS1 battletomes that don't fit the new style (abilities, terrain etc) will be getting summer updates and models to bring them to the 'modern' version of the game.  I don't know how true this is, but it has been mentioned in this very thread a few times now.

I wouldn't be surprised to at least see new seraphon and fyreslayer updates to bring them terrain.

As @sorokyl says, there is no longer enough skaven minis to really bring back the race as a BoC battletome release. They need new heroes and special weapons and the plague monks (as much as I love this kit and brought way to many) is severely lacking in quality compared almost everything else they currently sell.  They have very few duel kits (troop wise that is) and though the end times plastics are fantastic, they are pretty pricey.
They need a huge overhaul to bring them up the quality of the new lines. I'm preying we get a skyre battletome, as other clans can be easily made from the infantry all ready available and it's never too hard to fit skyre tech into other clans. Plague have their start collecting kits and could do with a new battletome and terrain.

• Like 1

My take on possible skaven tome is this: I don't want any skaven tome this year, if it means that there'll be no new models in (not counting scenery and endless spells). I do want gw to give them beta rules in next ghb to ease the wait though (kinda like they did with sisters in 40k). In fact, I hope gw uses next ghb to really boost allegiance abilities for ghb factions and bring them closer to newer factions in power level (still can't understand what insanity led them to nerf skyre and wanderers).

On 1/1/2019 at 3:43 AM, Skabnoze said:

Yeah it was.  It retailed for like $65 US which is barely more than an Arachnarok.  If you bought it from an online site with a discount you could get it at the same price as the Arachnarok’s normal retail.

Yeah it was a really good deal. I ended up getting 4 venom clan mob boxes sent to Australia, each costing less than a box of Spider Riders + the bases to put them on. I essentially got the Arachnaroks for free.

2 hours ago, Rollcage said:

Last year was:
Maggotkin - Nagash Tome - Daughters - Idoneth before may. 
Then Night haunt/Stormcast chamber and Beast of Chaos tome.

I'm Expecting similar this year.
Gloomspite - Fyreslayers tome - Skaven release - ???? release before june

Slaanesh is major story, last year the story came out around june with soul wars. 

It's not a every year cycle. New edition does not come out every year. They have multiple games to develop for, etc. Last year was more battletomes than the year before by far..you have to look at the last few years not just the last 12 months. 

Honestly you can't really compare. In the past GW used to roll out Battletomes and Codex MUCH slower and each one often came with a full army revamp which would often mean new sculpts for existing models (updates) and also new things. So they were big launches.

The last two years or so GW has instead shifted to releasing a big wave of codex and battletomes; some with new models, some with almost nothing new and some iwth only a token model here and there. It's really variable. AoS had had more bigger releases with more models in general ,but that's also because many of the factions were ignored for years by GW and also are being bumped up as many also got shattered into subfactions. There's also several brand new armies and GW is very keen to make new armies release with a lot of their core and special options. Gone are the days of GW releasing a new army with only 3 or 4 models to its name (such as how Necrons were for ages). Of course duel and the rare triple kits really helps bump up the number*

*eg Daughters of Khaine got 3 new kits which makes 5 new models. GW also split up the Cauldron kit into multiple leaders and a monster unit (Avatar on foot) which also boosted the number of model choices from a single kit. 

8 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

It's not a every year cycle. New edition does not come out every year. They have multiple games to develop for, etc. Last year was more battletomes than the year before by far..you have to look at the last few years not just the last 12 months. 

Ok, ill do 2017 release schedule.

Disciples of Tzeentch (similar size to maggotkin with daemons + tzaangors) Released late Jan through Feb.
Stormcast chamber through late Feb (Aquilors, gryph hounds etc)
Kharadron Overlords through April release

Then a large gap leading into AoS 2 and malign portents in 2018. 

So far the trend is way less army releases for Sigmar from September to January. With only Beastclaw raiders in 2016 and Beasts of chaos 2018 being in that period and both with no new model kits in the release. 

Common to see big releases back to back between January and May every year with 2016 going
Fyreslayers - Pestilens Tome - Stormcast - Khorne - Ironjawz - Flesh eater courts. Starting on 16-1-2016 going to 14-5-2016

• Like 1

There is something like a pattern in AoS releases, yes. 

January new big release

February-March: one or two small or mid size releases

April one big release

June one big release.

Give or take a couple more small releases. 

What is purely wishlisting is your list of factions to expect, not the number.

We know two thinga for certain: of two or three pending big releases, Darkoath and Slaanesh take two. One open for grabs (I would be aelves, but thats just me).

And then you have two or three small-mid size updates. Can be just about anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rollcage said:

My Expectation is

Fyreslayers in Feb...? I haven't heard anything about Fyreslayers?

5 hours ago, Overread said:

Honestly you can't really compare. In the past GW used to roll out Battletomes and Codex MUCH slower and each one often came with a full army revamp which would often mean new sculpts for existing models (updates) and also new things. So they were big launches.

Yup. Additionally they hired more people for writing AoS Rules (like the guy who worked on BoC rules who was interviewed in the last Stormcast Episode)

8 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Yup. Additionally they hired more people for writing AoS Rules (like the guy who worked on BoC rules who was interviewed in the last Stormcast Episode)

I don’t think the size of their rules team is what dictates how fast they release products.