The Rumour Thread

31 minutes ago, Captain Marius said:

This is where a countdown timer wouldve been more appropriate ? Now out of the blue its revealed Nagash's big plan appears to be... to raise the dead. Cmon GDubs you can market things better than that! (Last time Nagash returned it was accompanied by the start of the End Times and the promise that they meant it this time - now that was good hype!)

Given that there are now various factions taking souls that Nagash believes are his, it is possible that this great magic isn't to raise the dead but to anchor living souls to Shyish to ensure that when someone dies, or the soul is severed from the body, that the soul will be drawn to Shyish, over-riding other commands.  It is beginning in Shyish itself, which is logical, but will probably begin to affect the other realms at some stage if nothing is done to prevent it.  I can see another global campaign on its way.

• Like 1

The huge changes they just dropped into 40k, including changes to core rules and even more core rule beta changes, makes the rumors of big core rule changes for Age of Sigmar seem more likely.

They just dropped these big rule changes into 40k far ahead of the Chapter Approved book (including a few cost adjustments).  I like the fact that they are doing some of the rule changes as beta rules.  I would like to see them put some beta rule changes into Age of Sigmar.

• Like 1

As @Skabnoze said, between how the 40k FAQ was handled and the "Necroquake" fluff bit from yesterday ID article, I d'like to rethink the whole "new edition" business : 

1. In June : we may have a new Nighthaut army ; a new Magic supplement with the Necroquake spell effect (the big skull-shaped purple magic ball) and new Stormcast Wizards.

Maybe coming in a boxed set ala Blightwar (then called Souls War, coming along the eponym novel - note that on Amazon.de they reversed back to the old "not final" book cover).

2. In July, we will get the first AOS big FAQ, as said here : https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/29/warhammer-age-sigmar-faqs-new-model/ 

So the rumored changes to the core rules may happen with this FAQ like in 40k, and not in a "new rulebook". 

What do you all think ?

(I still hope we'll get 1 new magic supplement, 1 new main book, 1 true new starter set with then 2 new armies - but it looks less and less likely :P )

• Like 2

Well, we will know in roughly 4 weeks what is to come in the next few months. Till then we are covered by ID, 40k has some codexs and knights promised, as well as bloodbowl and necromunda. After that we are more or less up in the air with hints of orcs, Angron and his boys for 40k and a new season for shadespire, undead and sigmages as well as a rule overhaul in some form for AoS. Interesting possibilities with room for surprises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

2. In July, we will get the first AOS big FAQ, as said here : https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/29/warhammer-age-sigmar-faqs-new-model/ 

So the rumored changes to the core rules may happen with this FAQ like in 40k, and not in a "new rulebook". 

This is the thing though, when they announced it in January they did not release a BIG FAQ. The FAQ'ed the new LON (and maybe MON) but no BIG changes like we are seeing now for 40k. Also emailing them the auto-email said they should release an FAQ in March (like 40k) and this makes me think they might just be delaying it (like they have done for 40k xD:P) to now in April.

I feel soooo frustrated not having the same attention 40k is receiving and having constant delays. They say 40k is their top game because it is the most requested and this is why it is receiving a lot of attention, but if you don't put effort in AoS (or at least very little effort) how do you think you will recover the crowd Warhammer had back in the days (before all the mess WHFB was indeed their top game)? When it was a New Game, I do not recall AoS receiving this much attention as 40k now (since they made the "New Game Edition"); after 40k 8th ed was released they made a MASSIVE effort in catching up with the armies update to the new rules (up to now 10 months post 8th ed they almost updated all the races books) as opposed to AoS which in the same amount of time received less then 10 armies (some of which new, this is true) and in the next 2 years received 2 armies update of armies that already were released (and they called those releases!!!!!!!) and a number of new armies I personally think not enough in number to make the AoS experience different enough to be enjoyable at all times (considering that all the old armies have not been updated properly (Beastclaws are unplayable, Bonesplitterz, FEC and Ironjaw are undertuned, and Sylvaneth are borderline playable and all other "non-AoS faction are just for fun).

I might have made some mistakes in the details but those were not the point of the problem. What I wanted to highlight is the fact I don't think is correct AoS receive soooo little attention compared to their other main game. 

Also I am sorry if I brought a bit of negativity but I had to take this off my chest :P. All insults and critics are now very welcome....I deserve themxD.

Cheers 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Frozenbeast said:

What I wanted to highlight is the fact I don't think is correct AoS receive soooo little attention compared to their other main game. 

Also I am sorry if I brought a bit of negativity but I had to take this off my chest :P. All insults and critics are now very welcome....I deserve themxD.

Cheers 

Dude, AoS has had more new models than 40k this year. AoS has 2 new factions this year. 40k hasn't had any new factions. AoS has Malign Portents. 40k just got a new edition, and AoS stil had more models and new factions. GW are putting a lot of effort into AoS, even though it's the smaller game. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hughwyeth said:

Dude, AoS has had more new models than 40k this year. AoS has 2 new factions this year. 40k hasn't had any new factions. AoS has Malign Portents. 40k just got a new edition, and AoS stil had more models and new factions. GW are putting a lot of effort into AoS, even though it's the smaller game. 

I doubt GW could have done more for AoS in recent months. The amount of content since December is through the roof actually...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

As @Skabnoze said, between how the 40k FAQ was handled and the "Necroquake" fluff bit from yesterday ID article, I d'like to rethink the whole "new edition" business : 

1. In June : we may have a new Nighthaut army ; a new Magic supplement with the Necroquake spell effect (the big skull-shaped purple magic ball) and new Stormcast Wizards.

Maybe coming in a boxed set ala Blightwar (then called Souls War, coming along the eponym novel - note that on Amazon.de they reversed back to the old "not final" book cover).

What do you all think ?

(I still hope we'll get 1 new magic supplement, 1 new main book, 1 true new starter set with then 2 new armies - but it looks less and less likely :P )

I don’t follow your logic here. The Necroquake is just a new fluff phenomenon. Doesnt change anything. As for AoS FAQ, the situation is conpletely different from 40k, whose edition is new (which makes a new set of rules pointless). 

10 minutes ago, Turgol said:

I don’t follow your logic here. The Necroquake is just a new fluff phenomenon. Doesnt change anything.

You're missing one crucial word - "Doesn't change anything yet"

It's far too early to say that the Necroquake is "fluff" and irrelevant with no impact.  My personal feeling is that it has the potential to have a huge impact both from the background of the Mortal Realms and potentially in game depending on what Nagash's grand plan actually is.

10 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

It's far too early to say that the Necroquake is "fluff" and irrelevant with no impact.  My personal feeling is that it has the potential to have a huge impact both from the background of the Mortal Realms and potentially in game depending on what Nagash's grand plan actually is.

Yup. Looks like some more seeds have been sown with the latest story on the Malign Portents site - https://malignportents.com/story/as-above-so-below/

Certainly seems to be heading where people are guessing the rumours are going. We will see a Soul War soon with at a guess a new boxed set (but this with hindsight could be the next set of Shadespire).

34 minutes ago, Turgol said:

I don’t follow your logic here. The Necroquake is just a new fluff phenomenon. Doesnt change anything. As for AoS FAQ, the situation is conpletely different from 40k, whose edition is new (which makes a new set of rules pointless). 

Yeah, what I meant is that this fluff bit apparently ties the next Malign Portents chapter (Nagash's great work succeeding) with the Magic Supplement, making it quite important (because it's quite a huge thing, Nagash going all-out ), and not "just" another supplement. And given its magic + death, it's obviously linked to the Nighthaunt + Wizcast rumors too. 

And that's a bit sad. Because - in my head at least - GW releasing a new edition (i.e. a new main book and a new starter set) should be a release huge enough to "stand appart" from the main release schedules (compare idk how the Wrath of Magnus or Black Crusade releases were handled - i.e. "just" a part of the main release schedule - with the launch of 40k 8th). 

TLDR : I'm afraid that now, a new AOS edition (big releases) is less likely than before, because, (in fact), the rumors we had about a new edition were about a new magic supplement and rules changes coming with a FAQ (normal releases - don't get me wrong, still huge and exciting, just less "big" than I expected !).

Also what @RuneBrush and @Gaz Taylor said :P 

(EDIT : about the FAQ : as I understand it, given the fact that now AOS and 40k share the same FAQ + GHB/CA system, I guess GW will share for them the same approach on modifying / adapting the rules, as @Skabnoze suggested) 

Edited by HorticulusTGA

17 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I meant it doesn’t change anything regarding rumours: likely heading towards Souls War, si confirms rather than deny the “phase 2”. 

I don’t think soul war will be the next Shadespire (or rather, I don’t think it will just be the new shadespire). The cover art we saw for the novel was much more large scale than the tiny skirmish of shadespire, with beasts and stuff in the background (and rumours of Stormcast on flying mounts). At the very least I expect a Blight War type box, if not a new starter. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turgol said:

Yep, I was already of the mind that the next "edition" of AoS would come as Big FAQ items and the GHB, with maybe a reissue of the 4-pages rules that's a roll up of FAQ changes but not really be a second edition. Now that we've seen the first Big FAQ, I'm even more inclined believe that's how they'll go. I suspect we could see GW move to a living rules type of format that incrementally grows so that maybe a few years from now the rules for AoS and 40k may be quite different from how they were on release, but we won't be seeing any single large breaks along the way.

Edited by bsharitt

2 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Yeah, what I meant is that this fluff bit apparently ties the next Malign Portents chapter (Nagash's great work succeeding) with the Magic Supplement, making it quite important (because it's quite a huge thing, Nagash going all-out ), and not "just" another supplement. And given its magic + death, it's obviously linked to the Nighthaunt + Wizcast rumors too. 

And that's a bit sad. Because - in my head at least - GW releasing a new edition (i.e. a new main book and a new starter set) should be a release huge enough to "stand appart" from the main release schedules (compare idk how the Wrath of Magnus or Black Crusade releases were handled - i.e. "just" a part of the main release schedule - with the launch of 40k 8th). 

TLDR : I'm afraid that now, a new AOS edition (big releases) is less likely than before, because, (in fact), the rumors we had about a new edition were about a new magic supplement and rules changes coming with a FAQ (normal releases - don't get me wrong, still huge and exciting, just less "big" than I expected !).

Also what @RuneBrush and @Gaz Taylor said :P 

I guess I see where you are coming from: the “magic supplement” might be phase 2, because of how much it has been hyped.

Could be. I think it would be a missed opportunity, because we need a big fluff book. But then all I really care is having a new boxed set with new miniatures. Rumours still point that way, even though we do not how reliable they are. Here is hoping.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turgol said:

I meant it doesn’t change anything regarding rumours: likely heading towards Souls War, si confirms rather than deny the “phase 2”. 

I agree, but it makes the AOS "phase " be like : 1 new magic supplement + 1 new FAQ in July + 2 new armies (maybe combined in a Bligthwar type box set), instead of : new magic supplement, new main book, new (proper) starter set, 2 new armies, 1 new FAQ, etc.

EDIT @Turgol about your last comment, yes that's exactly what I think. And, too, I still think Moonstone, LLV and the French rumors have hinted at bigger rules changes than a magic supplement and a FAQ. Anyway  we'll see....

Edited by HorticulusTGA

A Blightwar boxed set is nothing to hype with. Would be probably felt as an insult by Death players (all of this for the same old skellies!) and by everyone else because of a re-iteration of SCE.  Now if by Blightwar boxed set you mean a boxed set with only new miniatures but without new rules (apart from magic), that’s fine by me. Important thing is two new factions contained in the boxed set!

I really don’t want a big rules change. A new book which replaces the original starter book. And maybe a couple of pages of rules clarifying “advance rules” eg move and setup coming into there rather than in faq. Would be fine. 

I think phase 2 is still a new box set plus magic. I also think phase 2 will see them revisit the battletome and model lines released prior to tzeentch. 

What does seem a bit weird to me is that Nighthaunt are the death faction that is most rumored to be coming our along side this magic supplement and Stormcast wizards, but they themselves a some of the less magical death. Of course I'm sure the narrative has to be bent to fit the release schedule as much as the other way around, so I'm sure there will be some explanation, or maybe the Nighthaunt will get some more magic. From the glimpses of the new black coach, it looks like like it may be as big of an upgrade model wise as the greater daemons have been, so it may be getting an equally big warscroll update, and maybe some magic.

1 minute ago, bsharitt said:

What does seem a bit weird to me is that Nighthaunt are the death faction that is most rumored to be coming our along side this magic supplement and Stormcast wizards, but they themselves a some of the less magical death. Of course I'm sure the narrative has to be bent to fit the release schedule as much as the other way around, so I'm sure there will be some explanation, or maybe the Nighthaunt will get some more magic. From the glimpses of the new black coach, it looks like like it may be as big of an upgrade model wise as the greater daemons have been, so it may be getting an equally big warscroll update, and maybe some magic.

It's possible that they may be changing the background of how they work. I'm guessing since the Jailbreak at the end of the Dread Solstice, they have been tasked with finding and retrieving all the escaped souls. So they may be anti magic or they may get more magic abilities. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turgol said:

A Blightwar boxed set is nothing to hype with. Would be probably felt as an insult by Death players (all of this for the same old skellies!) and by everyone else because of a re-iteration of SCE.  Now if by Blightwar boxed set you mean a boxed set with only new miniatures but without new rules (apart from magic), that’s fine by me. Important thing is two new factions contained in the boxed set!

Exactly. I would be pretty disappointed if Soul Wars is just a Blightwar style box (unless it's made with models from entirely NEW armies, aka Nighthaunt and Wizcasts).

At least, we know the Nighthaunt release is the Black Coach, the new Shadespire ghosts, and surely some Heroes / Monsters (as seen in the MP short stories).

If they end up at release in a Blightwar style boxset with a discount, then why not, but I would still prefer a snap fit / easy to build, proper new Starter set (coming like Dark Imperium with a new Main (fluff) book !)

If the box is only the old models like Spirit hosts and Skeletons and, say, only a new black coach, I'd by quite upset.