The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Bloodmaster said:

Hold the press! Charges being meaningful again is THE BEST thing

As long as they plan on redoing the points cost of EVERY SINGLE MODEL IN THE GAME at the same time. There is no possible way that murderhost, hammerstrike, daughters of khaine just in general, or any other army in the game that can get multiple units into combat turn 1 doesn't need to be readjusted after a change like that. Same with slow take the hit units like pheonix guard or liberators needing drops just to justify them existing.

Edited by BURF1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Aryann said:

I still believe that they are making a mistake by pushing Stormcasts so much but maybe their numbers tell them differently. If for Example Ironjawz had as many releases as Stormcasts, be the second wave be oriented around cavalery like boars and third around weird boyz then I think they would receive as much customers' attention. Some people just choose Stormcasts being sure that they will have constant releases for their army and be always up to date with balance and rules. Can you say the same about BCR or Daughters of Khaine? It is much more likely to see two more SC chambers than seeing more of those guys. That said if I were to decide I would release 1-2 new units for each so far introduced factions. It would certaintly rise the interest around those "old" factions like Ironjawz or Fyreslayers.

And I think that since elven players me included are quite satisfied right now with latest releases they should now appeal to Destruction and Death players. Pretty sure there are some.

Was there any rumour that Darkoath are on their way? Or those are just forum suspicions?

Replace every instance of the word 'Stormcast' with 'Chaos' and this is about how I feel as well.

8 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

As long as they plan on redoing the points cost of EVERY SINGLE MODEL IN THE GAME at the same time. There is no possible way that murderhost, hammerstrike, daughters of khaine just in general, or any other army in the game that can get multiple units into combat turn 1 doesn't need to be readjusted after a change like that. Same with slow take the hit units like pheonix guard or liberators needing drops just to justify them existing.

If they released rules changes like that in the General's Handbook, or at least alongside it, then a full rebalancing is theoretically what you get.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

If they released rules changes like that in the General's Handbook, or at least alongside it, then a full rebalancing is theoretically what you get.

As far as I've(and I could be missing stuff) seen the rumors have AoS2 in june...ish? Which means either it's gonna be separate from GHB 2018, GHB 2018 is getting released early, or AoS 2 releases later than the rumors have said.

20 minutes ago, Sete said:

Question for our rumour dudes.

Any chance that the Stormcast Hero in the new box set might be a Lord Aquillor on foot?

Last story featured one, unmounted.

I hope not, The mount is like 97% of the point of that model. He loses about 140pts worth of stats without it.

1 hour ago, BURF1 said:

Well, elves could get a special rule to lessen the impact of being charged. They could *always* strike first or something :ph34r:

One of the great things about Nighthaunts in the starter -besides the ridiculously cool hooded skellies in the artwork for the Knight of Shrouds- would be that you could do their whole half of the starter in a matter of hours with washes and have it look great. 

I still remain unconvinced that we will get a new starter set, not as a replacement for the current starter anyway.

Thinking about they new additions we  are expecting this year.

We have a new magic supplement,  new ranges for nighthaunt and Stormcast presumably with accompanying battletomes, a new season of Shadespire and a new starter set. 

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that we will get a new campaign box along the lines of Deathmasque (which introduced a whole new faction) featuring Stormcast and Nighthaunt.  We will get a big new book to bring the lore up to date which will be the magic book, and some new rules will appear in ghb 2018. 

9 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Not really - I'm fairly certain that with how GW playtests stuff recently LoN and DoK Battletomes (or even maybe Maggotkin as well) were designed with that changes in mind, sure there could be issue with some other armies but Greenskins are out of the meta anyway so a little push won't need any points rebalancing, maybe Murderhost. I don't see massive issue with points. 

On the other hand I've heard from multiple sources that there will be a rule that you can't deploy closer then 9'' to the enemy in any scenario (it's a wH40k rule I guess) -  including Changeling etc. 

34 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Not really - I'm fairly certain that with how GW playtests stuff recently LoN and DoK Battletomes (or even maybe Maggotkin as well) were designed with that changes in mind, sure there could be issue with some other armies but Greenskins are out of the meta anyway so a little push won't need any points rebalancing, maybe Murderhost. I don't see massive issue with points. 

On the other hand I've heard from multiple sources that there will be a rule that you can't deploy closer then 9'' to the enemy in any scenario (it's a wH40k rule I guess) -  including Changeling etc. 

I'm gonna go with 'yeah, really' here, and looking at those battletomes I don't see how you could say they 'designed them with a change like this in mind' with a straight face.

To illustrate my point, we know for a fact that GW uses value spreadsheets to help calculate point costs from things the playtesting team has said, so lets use some ourselves. Right now offense, defense(save), defense (wounds), speed, bravery, range, magic, buffs, etc all have a certain weighting based on how important those stats are.

The issue is that changing the way charges works puts a much heavier premium on speed and offense than there was before, while decreasing the value of defense. This means the value of fast, glass cannon units goes up rather massively and the value of slow, defensive units goes down slightly.

I know from your posts on the DoK forum that you're very familiar with that army. I want you to really think for a second what it would mean to get 3 buffed units of witch aelves in combat on the same turn, a feet that is not in anyway difficult to achieve.  That would mean 360 unanswerable attacks with at least reroll to wound on every unit, that's NINETY damage to a 4+ save BEFORE mindrazor, catechism of murder, etc, in game where most armies have 120ish wounds, and that's only using 810pts of your army. You end up in a situation where literally the only things left alive after your charge phase are the things you couldn't reach. 

Yes there are tactical things you can do to mitigate this and the game could still work with this change, but thinking you can give aggressive melee units such a huge buff without rebalancing their points is laughable. Think of all the extra points people use on defenses, even in aggressive lists, that they wouldn't even have to bother with knowing that if they poor enough resources into offenses and speed, the enemy simply would never hit them back.

And saying 'but destruction isn't that strong' Isn't really the point, there are extremely strong aggressive, fast combat armies out there that a change like this, in a vacuum, would break wide open.

Side bar: That rule doesn't exist anywhere in 40k, it's just that 40k doesn't have the work-around abilities that AoS does (hammerstrike, etc)

Edited by Burf
  • Like 2

@BurfI don't know, but from the looks of it GW with Daughters of Khaine Battletome answered some issues (that could point to changing how AoS work) - battalions are nice addition as you bascially can't go with 1 drop (unless you want to take army with fixed selection), prayers work more or less like spells in terms that you can't cast prayers more then once (unless they are on a scroll and those aren't powerful - ok animated Avatar is great but anyway issues with prayers with DoK had been adressed) so I doubt they weren't aware big changes are coming to AoS, but maybe they didn't take that into account - I don't know. 

Sure I  know what it mean to be multcharged by striking first Witches but you're missing whole picture - it's double-edged sword. What if my witches are multicharged ? They will die badly and with bad postioning I can lose those units really fast, and there are armies that could do that. That's why witches aren't the most resilient units. When playing skilled player vs skilled player ability to go first with charging units adds another dimension to postioning, few bad moves and your army is gone. But though I think  such a rule in vaccum is good, priority roll for every turn would have to go - because bonus to charging units with double turn would be massive and unfair, without priority roll for battleround I would love that rule as it's double-edged and encourages to take more conservative approach and think about movement and implications of charge. 

I didn't know that 9'' away wasn't  official rule in Wh40k , but I guess any deployment works that way. 

1 hour ago, DantePQ said:

Sure I  know what it mean to be multcharged by striking first Witches but you're missing whole picture - it's double-edged sword. What if my witches are multicharged ? They will die badly and with bad postioning I can lose those units really fast, and there are armies that could do that. That's why witches aren't the most resilient units. When playing skilled player vs skilled player ability to go first with charging units adds another dimension to postioning, few bad moves and your army is gone. But though I think  such a rule in vaccum is good, priority roll for every turn would have to go - because bonus to charging units with double turn would be massive and unfair, without priority roll for battleround I would love that rule as it's double-edged and encourages to take more conservative approach and think about movement and implications of charge. 

Without going in to details. That sounds like it is a good few steps in to a direction where the game is decided on who gets the first turn, either by having less units or even worse, just by a roll off. Leaving a big impact on the result of the game to single roll off with a single d6 is a big reason for  a lot of problems in many editions of both Warhammers. Of course it's not that simple and I have a feeling that that kind of addition would lead to a sort of chaff war, where both players have a lot of "speedbumps" to protect their hitter units. It can be fun of course, but due to nature of the importance of that kind of units, it can cause imbalance between the different armies as some of them have better tools than others for that kind of play. For example all of the Stormcast on foot without teleport shenanigans sound like big losers .

And it's good to remember that the big charge doesn't need to be on the first turn. Almost every army can make a list where you can charge with all of your army on turn two. Currently it is just not a wise thing to do as you get hit back as much as you hit yourself. 

in any case it is a massive change to the game and to the value of different units and the probability to get the points right on the first time is quite low based on what we have seen from the 40k indexes and the two GHBs, for which is good to remember that they are based on  the community generated and playtested fan made comps. So the current GHB points are already a revision of 3+ to the first draft. Going back to square one will surely lead to a situation where there are quite a few outliers on the points cost. But time will tell.

Edited by Jamopower

15 hours ago, LLV said:

Prepare to be surprised.

Plus - its not like Destruction are tearing up the top tables in Tournaments right now so this change is also a balancing factor. 

If they keep everything as is, surely destruction will totally dominate then? An ironjawz force can engage in combat turn 1 in a lot of instances. If they get all their combats first, that's game over pretty much. I can't see them doing it without significant re-pointing all units or doing a different implementation than they have with 40k. 

17 hours ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

By the way, found this in the site of "Cargad": 

https://www.cargad.com/index.php/2018/04/09/juego-sombraguja-shadespire-nuevas-pyr-y-biblioteca-de-cartas-actualizada/

Translation and editing: Shadespire is fixing a few lines of AoS' future development. In fact, the storm mages were first designed for shadespire. 

The next batch of warbands will change the landscape quite a lot. Specially the storm mages, more than the spectres, due to the range of their attacks. They will be released just after the supplement for magic meant for AOS that will release in june. Within it will appear new units (elementals, storm mages, and the new arch-prophet of gorkamorka) as well as a remodelling of the magic as it is in the vanilla game. It will be a softcover manual. 168 pages long. 

Take it with a massive handful of salt.

So that rumor is from a comment on a Shadespire Spanish blog, right ? Very interesting. Maybe as @Gaz Taylor and @Chikout  said, then we will get : 

- A Magic supplement + Wizard Stromcast (thus not needing a proper battletome for their rules).

- A Nighthaunt army release (Black Coach + Battletome, etc.).

- A Deathmasque/Forgebane/Blightwar-style box with those 2 new armies in June, alongside Soul Wars.

- A new Shadespire starter set, or two warbands based on those 2 new armies.

- The GHB 2018 in August.

I'd be fine with that really ! (Even if I'd prefer as @LLV said : a new AOS main book with "new" / reorganized rules and new proper Starter set with snap fit / easy to build models (+ magic supplement + 2 new Battletomes + Shadespire + maybe new scenery). 

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

So that rumor is from a comment on a Shadespire Spanish blog, right ? Very interesting. Maybe as @Gaz Taylor and @Chikout  said, then we will get : 

- A Magic supplement + Wizard Stromcast (thus not needing a proper battletome for their rules).

I hope not. Stromcast need so many changes that a new battletome is really desired...

• Like 1

That was just a comment on a Spanish forum (the famous “Spanish rumours” forum that announced the end of WHFB). It is not the website itself that made that comment. The comment is also pretty ambiguous, as it is centered on Shadespire but it is hard to understand when it is talking about it and when it is talking about AoS. As I understand it (and I am a native speaker), it just claims that a new 168 pages magic expansion will be introduced and that it will “feature” new stuff such as Stormages, some spectral guys and a great prophet of Gorkamorka. 

It could all just be guess-work and it does not confirm nor deny anything apart from the magic set. 

So we are left pretty much where we were. It is still weird for GW to release a new “edition”, “phase” so close to a new expansion and the proper order in that case would be first new starter set and then new expansion. So I guess that incredulity comes from that fact. But our few rumour mongers (whose credibility is also not proven yet) are speaking of new phase (which I believe is happening, as we have many signs), new updated rules and new starter set. I am willing to trust them on that, but I also have problems understanding how the magic supplement and new edition go together.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turgol said:

That was just a comment on a Spanish forum (the famous “Spanish rumours” forum that announced the end of WHFB). It is not the website itself that made that comment. The comment is also pretty ambiguous, as it is centered on Shadespire but it is hard to understand when it is talking about it and when it is talking about AoS. As I understand it (and I am a native speaker), it just claims that a new 168 pages magic expansion will be introduced and that it will “feature” new stuff such as Stormages, some spectral guys and a great prophet of Gorkamorka. 

It could all just be guess-work and it does not confirm nor deny anything apart from the magic set. 

So we are left pretty much where we were. It is still weird for GW to release a new “edition”, “phase” so close to a new expansion and the proper order in that case would be first new starter set and then new expansion. So I guess that incredulity comes from that fact. But our few rumour mongers (whose credibility is also not proven yet) are speaking of new phase (which I believe is happening, as we have many signs), new updated rules and new starter set. I am willing to trust them on that, but I also have problems understanding how the magic supplement and new edition go together.

Haha, I almost commented too on the dreaded "Spanish rumors" of old Warseer :P

I agree with you about the confusion, it's (maybe) either people misunderstood new edition with new magic supplement, or we'll get indeed (in a strange order) lots of different thing this summer (which is cool) !

BTW, I know for example the Battletomes in French are soft back, and the End times books were re edited in soft back too for us latine speaker (IIRC French, Spanish, Italian editions) - but does it really make sense that a 168 pages magic expansion ends up soft back ?

Even the Malign Portents campaign book (the size of some battletome) is Hardback even in French...

Edited by HorticulusTGA

Concerning the use of "phase 2", I clearly remember someone here telling "phase 1 was basically GW first 3 years plan FOR AoS (so more or less decided and planned before AoS launch).

And that in the same way,  "phase 2" is GW next 3 years plan with all what have been designed (rulewise, lorewise, factionwise) during the previous phase.

Beyond the refered comment written some monthes ago, this exactly how I interpret a "phase 2" in that wargame context.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

Concerning the use of "phase 2", I clearly remember someone here telling "phase 1 was basically GW first 3 years plan FOR AoS (so more or less decided and planned before AoS launch).

And that in the same way,  "phase 2" is GW next 3 years plan with all what have been designed (rulewise, lorewise, factionwise) during the previous phase.

Beyond the refered comment written some monthes ago, this exactly how I interpret a "phase 2" in that wargame context.

Personally I would just see it as the next part of the story. We've had the new game and setting as part of 'phase 1' and we will see the story progress and start seeing the 'true' Age of Sigmar releases rather than a few new kits incorporating some of the older model kits. I think calling it Phase 2 is just a comment that somebody from GW has mentioned and it's caught on. ;)