The Rumour Thread

I'm loving what I'm seeing in these previews!  Really looking forward to seeing what else is coming - there's still part of me that would love to create a generic destruction army with lots of bits of everything (centred around a Rogue Idol)

12 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning had some truly great concept & design art.  I bought the collectors edition and I still get heavy use from the concept art book for conversions and terrain work for all my Orcs & Goblins.

Likewise.  For me the concept art book has the same level of inspiration for GW fantasy that Visions of Heresy does for the 30k setting.

I do however have a question: are the squigs and squigs hoppers in the same kit? I think the article of Community talk about dual kit but there is a lot of difference between the squigs with herder and the squigs with hoppers... Maybe both boxes are dual-kit and we have another sort of each (like for the fanatic: where you have the fanatic and shroom-fanatics, maybe we are going to get the squigs / other form of (shroom?)squigs and the squig hoppers / other form of squig hoppers...

Otherwise, if that is just one kit for squigs/squigs hoppers, that kit is going to leave A LOT of spare pieces...  What do you think?

17 minutes ago, rattila said:

I do however have a question: are the squigs and squigs hoppers in the same kit? I think the article of Community talk about dual kit but there is a lot of difference between the squigs with herder and the squigs with hoppers... Maybe both boxes are dual-kit and we have another sort of each (like for the fanatic: where you have the fanatic and shroom-fanatics, maybe we are going to get the squigs / other form of (shroom?)squigs and the squig hoppers / other form of squig hoppers...

Otherwise, if that is just one kit for squigs/squigs hoppers, that kit is going to leave A LOT of spare pieces...  What do you think?

From the article it does seem to suggest that it is going to be a duel kit, with tons of left overs. But comparing the two units, there is a huge amount of difference, even things like the squig legs and mouths/faces seem to be different. Not to mention the hopper crew have huge differences to the herders.

I'd love it if it was a duel kit with that many left overs. I'm a converter/painter first and foremost and all those left over parts will be amazing conversion fodder.

Realistically though, I dont see it being a duel kit, even though that it what GW tends to aim for now, unless it is insanely priced. 10 squigs, 10 hopper riders and 2-4 herders seems like an awful lot of parts to squeeze into one kit, not to mention the spare legs, mushrooms, snails and other odds n ends in the kit.

It does say ''new kit'' rather than new kits, so maybe it is. I'm pleased if it is as well, as I'm not so keen on the gas like/spore part of the hoppers and great as the grot on the squig mouth is, I think I could only manage one in an army before I found the model repetitive. With that many parts, we will be able to customise the squigs exactly to our liking.  With a bunch of legs and mouths left over as well, it should be too hard to sculpt some extra bodies too.

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

There is no chance that you would not be able to field the unit straight out the box - they are new types of fanatics so they will definitely have new rules. Maybe you field them in units of 1,or 5, or units of 1 to 5, but the old rules will deffo have changed. 

Oh I'm sure the rules are massively changed and what you see in the shot is the whole unit. I'm just still a little surprised as 3 fanatics has been the thing for such a long time now, I can't even picture them in any other way!

Though a similar thing did happen with the netters with AoS1, I never though we would see more than 3 netters per unit, but the lack of a max per unit on the battlescroll meant that people were taking as many as they liked, the units of 20 netters were hilarious before they nerfed it back to 3 per unit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For some weird reason I’ve always really liked dead/injured models and before the grot casualty appeared had been looking with interest at those made to order Imperial (Russian) Guardsmen, up at the moment, that feature a couple (and incidentally could be great base for a Slavic themed Free Peoples force facing off against BCR). 

I could definitely imagine, with the spore fanatics especially, that an out of action fungus laden grot could still do some damage to anyone that gets too close, I hope there is some rule like that.

• Like 1

For me the interesting thing about this release is that it contains new sculpts for old WHFB models without drastic change. Squig hoppers, fanatics and herds. Previously we'd had models inspired by the older stuff (new sylvaneth or ironjawz) or older kits incorporated into new armies (daughters or beastclaw). 

Goes to show GW are happy remaking WHFB models if they still have a place in the setting. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

For me the interesting thing about this release is that it contains new sculpts for old WHFB models without drastic change. Squig hoppers, fanatics and herds. Previously we'd had models inspired by the older stuff (new sylvaneth or ironjawz) or older kits incorporated into new armies (daughters or beastclaw). 

Goes to show GW are happy remaking WHFB models if they still have a place in the setting. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the army range of miniatures: maybe I can refresh my oldies goblins... But I'm doubtful about the Doom Diver Catapult or this kind of things... If they are included, I'd be the happiest old grotz general 9_9

9 hours ago, Deepkin said:

To be fair to the developers, much of these issues were directly due to EA, not the choices of the Mythic devs. The company was purchased partway through development by EA and absolutely gutted by them shortly before, or after (can't remember) release. A lot of the nonsensical decisions stem from this: the game was made, and then maintained, by totally different teams of people. 

It truly was a very fun MMO and it nailed the Warhammer aesthetic so thoroughly that the armor sets and zones in the game still rank among the best in any MMO ever released IMO.

Also, there is a private server for the game out there that is decently active. The developers for the private server are legitimately unpleasant people however, which is a shame because it was great to be able to play WAR after all these years and relive the glory days.

Ironbreaker and Marauder are two of the most fun MMO classes to date. Uuuuugh, the nostalgia, it is getting to me! Curse ye!

I loved AOR.  A great game, despite its flaws.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

I wonder if one of the sculptor tried to resculpt the fanatics "just for the fun of it" and that they all thought : "!!!"

13 minutes ago, Alexonian said:

Lance wielding armoured squig hoppers? 

There was a crazy good Bretonnian goblin army someone made years back, I tried to imitate some of the style on my own wolf riders, but being not much of a sculptor my efforts are pretty poor. But seeing the lances means I'll defiantly have to finish a unit or two in the style!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghark said:

Is it me or does the basic moonclan infantry seem to be on 32mm now?

I'm confident that the basic Moonclan Grots are not getting reboxed to larger than the 25mm that they come with now and we're reboxed to already for AOS. They would be swimming on 32s IMO.

Overall it's what I expected more or less, except that I'm surprised that GW redid the already plastic and serviceable Fanatics. I'll just buy the new ones for the spore option.

The terrain is the highlight for me so far. Really characterful. Can't wait for Troggoths to be previewed as well.

I'm also glad that I've held off building 100+ Grots as I'm wondering if those days are behind us.

Ben: All the extra narrative bits on the frames really matter. They help to build the world, as well as underlining the comedic absurdity and psychedelic improbability of the Gloomspite Gitz. Keep an eye out for fungus, squigs, snotlings, cave nasties, detritus and much more!

Ah yes! I was hoping we would see a 'gotta collect them all' side to the new sets, much like the nurglings or the fish from deepkin.
I'm extra, extra pleased to see snotlings mentioned! I have a vast collection and even if swarms are gone, I wanted a home for them in the realms!
I do love that snail, and someone on facebook spotted a skeleton squig! I will defiantly be set up as many trades as I can to collect mountains of the little bits! I've always been a fan of the odds n ends like that, which they have included in kits over the years, but until recently they always seem few and far between. I think they are cool little bits that make the armies come to life and bring more of the fantasy feel to the game, the models should feel like a narrative and not just game pieces!

Those night goblins look like they are still on 25s, they are super small models and fit on 20mm squares perfectly, the 25s look big on them anyways!

6 minutes ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I'm confident that the basic Moonclan Grots are not getting reboxed to larger than the 25mm that they come with now and we're reboxed to already for AOS. They would be swimming on 32s IMO.

Overall it's what I expected more or less, except that I'm surprised that GW redid the already plastic and serviceable Fanatics. I'll just buy the new ones for the spore option. 

The terrain is the highlight for me so far. Really characterful. Can't wait for Troggoths to be previewed as well.

I'm also glad that I've held off building 100+ Grots as I'm wondering if those days are behind us.

On the fanatics, its a surprise but a welcome one! The newish old plastic ones were fine, but its going to be cool to have ones with more options. The kit was ok but they were very static.
I also think that the days of 100+ units are going to be long gone. It was one of the things that drove me away from WFB, I love seeing big units of NGs but when people had to paint 1/2 units of 100+ NGs as a starter army, it got very depressing. I'm more than happy to have a mix of different units and stick to playing 6mm scale for my mega battles.  I'm hoping we see more than just the terrain bit we have seen, would love to see a cave like terrain piece to go with it, similar in shape and size to the woodland piece. It would be good for several different armies and easy to customise with all these new little extras coming.

57 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Fanatic is THE iconic figure of the night gobs oups...moonclan grots. It's kinda dumb to resculpt them. Just rescale a bit & adapt to the actual design. Nothing much to change actually.

Have you seen the new sculpts?? They are SO good,  while maintaining the flavor of the original.  Dumb???  Was it needed? Na... Is it worth it? For sure! 
Image result for fanatics night goblinGloomspiteGitzRevealed-Dec26-Fanatics-Content.jpg

• Like 1

Well, for now, no big guy presented. I rarely (read "never") fell for an army without seeing the heavy cavalry/mid sized monster equivalent. Those are pretty much the core of my feeling for an army. And the biggest ones also. 

ATM, most if not all the trogoth aren't available anymore. Add to this that GW is keeping super quite about the other troops of this new grots army. That means that we will have a new line of plastic trogoth (probably a dual kit, I hope so).

54 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Have you seen the new sculpts?? They are SO good,  while maintaining the flavor of the original.  Dumb???  Was it needed? Na... Is it worth it? For sure! 
Image result for fanatics night goblinGloomspiteGitzRevealed-Dec26-Fanatics-Content.jpg

I like how they moved away from the hunched posed, to the bodies being stretched from the force of the ball.