The Rumour Thread

So LoN basically brought back Vampire Counts and now Beastmen are basically coming back in a reconstituted form. I wonder what other old world armies will be similarly reconstituted. Skaven are good bet, but may leave out Pestilens. Ogres minus Beastclaw is probably a better bet than gutbusters alone. I don't think we'll see the Orc and Goblins put back together, savage orcs and black orcs are on their own for good along with likely Moonclan. Maybe a leftovers book, but at that point, why bother? Former High Elves are in such a weird place it's hard to say if they'd even bother as they've probably gotten the least love since AoS came out and are hardly even mentioned. Personally, I think the armies that will be getting this treatment are the ones where GW isn't doing a lot of reimaging or updating. Elves are probably going to see a lot over the next couple of years, and they'll probably let the old high elves fade away, but I could see a battletome for Wanderers with no new models.

So happy with this. Beastmen are my number one faction in all Warhammer, but I did not think we would get something like this.

I am currently mostly busy with Killteam, but still, with this announcement all my other AoS project are now put on total hold. Luckily, most of my WiPs and kits have some level of compatibility with Beasts, so I do not feel like it is a waste.

Most of the included kits hold up quite well and the army lends itself to converting, so I am quite happy even though the Herdstone and spells seem to be the only new miniatures. Still, I hope this proves popular enough to get further support in coming years.

Lets grab some facts:

- few entries

- old miniatures (some of them look even older compared to actual GW top miniatures)

- no machine or ranged

I don't see how this army will diffenciate from other fast and furious melee ones...

But:

- chaos aligned: choice of 4 main gods means alllied to other chaos factions. But what can they add different to what we already have?

In the end of the day: I love that we have new battletome but I hate missing opportunities. They could have done it with the all NON ALIGNED chaos factions at once: beasts+slaves+overchosen, then we have a huge opportunity to refresh our army (but without refresshing the miniatures...)

my feelings are a bit balanced with a tendency to (a light) negativity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Lets grab some facts:

- few entries

- old miniatures (some of them look even older compared to actual GW top miniatures)

- no machine or ranged

I don't see how this army will diffenciate from other fast and furious melee ones...

But:

- chaos aligned: choice of 4 main gods means alllied to other chaos factions. But what can they add different to what we already have?

In the end of the day: I love that we have new battletome but I hate missing opportunities. They could have done it with the all NON ALIGNED chaos factions at once: beasts+slaves+overchosen, then we have a huge opportunity to refresh our army (but without refresshing the miniatures...)

They will have Tzaangors which means, new nice minis and ranged options with the skyfires. They have one of the best minis ever made in the Shaggoth. The dragon ogres, gors, bestigors, ungors,  and bray shaman are all pretty good relatively recent kits. 

Some of the old resin kits especially the beastlord hold up really well. It is only really the warherd section of the army that is a bit lacking and can can sub in the awesome Mierce minis for those. 

I have to say the simple addition of the Tzaangor has really caught my interest. I already have a few of those and a Shaggoth,  suddenly I am more than half way to a 1000 point army.

• Like 1

Kind of lol- makes a bit more sense now as was originally told Darkoath then Darkoath / beasts of chaos. Source probably saw bits of it all. I know Darkoath is already done. In fact many believe the malign heralds to be precursors to the NH, moonclan etc - it’s actually the other way around. The design elements for those factions were already done. For instance the knight of shroud on steed was done before the malign sorcery one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I remember him saying at least 4 different factions over different posts. 

Nope. I have bee saying moonclan Darkoath/beast of chaos as soon as the soulwars dropped- which I told everyone on here about in March. Granted moonclan and Darkoath a bit obvious from the malign portents but beasts of chaos was so left field no one believed that one when I first wrote it lol

only thing I will concede has been a little off is timings- but that’s more due to schedule changes.

Edited by LLV
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Lets grab some facts:

- few entries

- no machine or ranged

But:

I don't know about the first part: few entries. Looks like a very solid amount of unit entries compared to many other battletomes out there now.  It's not going to be the largest, but above average in term of unit entries for sure. 

I'm not sure about how old the miniature range is exactly.  But most of it is from 6th edition warhammer? So they can't be more than a decade old.

I'm not sure what the rules team made of it, but a melee army more aimed around stealth and ambush tactics could sound like fun. 

6 hours ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/31/31st-may-faction-focus-the-beasts-of-chaosgw-homepage-post-3/

If we look back at the Faction Focus, Brayherds, Warherds, Thunderscorn, and Monsters are all included. That's a decently sized faction, and really helps consolidate subfactions left over. 

That has me pretty excited actually.  I really like Thunderscorn and have always liked the Dragon Ogres (especially the new plastic ones), but they sort of stunk in 8th edition and there was not enough there to really build an army around for Age of Sigmar.  I'd probably buy into it if they combined most of the chaos beasts together.

I wonder if chaos giants would be in the tome too. If they are and the god marked rumors are true, it'd be pretty sweet to have my Nurgle giant actually have a Nurgle keyword. And maybe get a unique warscroll that's distinct from the destruction one(aside from name and GA keyword, they're identical right now). Probably letting myself get too excited. I've always liked beastmen, but being so broken up in AoS, I never really wanted to bother getting into them, but now I think I might give them a shot next year or so(or sooner depending on the scale of the Moonclan new stuff).

• Like 1

Don't be surprised. If we just made it to AoS 2..0 and they release a battletome for old, not that popular factions with no new units, you expect what? That they will release a new battletome in 3 years with tons of new units? Forget it. It will take years for GW to look again in that direction. Unless this battletome sells like crazy. Which I don't expect to happen. If I asked you to put Beastmen on the Chaos Popularity Top List where would they go? Over 4 Chaos gods and the Skaven? I guess not. Even Khorne hasn't yet received an unit update and I'm sure a lot of guys own him since he was from the very beginning in AoS and first starter box. And we are just talking Chaos. Tons of other factions waiting for a spotlight. Beasts of Chaos won't receive an update in many years to come. If you like their current range so be it. I'm a bit disappointed. Not much was needed to be done. Still better than nothing. 

Edited by Aryann
  • Sad 1

Honestly I can't see the cause for any negativity here. Brayherd players just got the following:

1. Full access to all the units they lost during AoS 1 like Warherds, dragon ogors etc.
  2. Their own endless spells
  3. A new herdstone and possibly other new minis
  4. A revamp of items and allegiance abilities
  5. Access to the full range of Tzaangors from the Tzeentch book
  6. A strong chance of getting marks, giving them access to a range of really useful allies.
  7. Their range back in stores
  8. No longer having to buy a separate pack of round bases which added 4-6€ to the price of each unit.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, LLV said:

Kind of lol- makes a bit more sense now as was originally told Darkoath then Darkoath / beasts of chaos. Source probably saw bits of it all. I know Darkoath is already done. In fact many believe the malign heralds to be precursors to the NH, moonclan etc - it’s actually the other way around. The design elements for those factions were already done. For instance the knight of shroud on steed was done before the malign sorcery one.

Do you know whether Darkoath was going to incorporate the Slaves to Darkness line of models or if it will branch off into its own separate thing?