The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Redmanphill said:

What happens if the Maggotkin player casts it first and teleports Arkhan to the far corner of the board?

He'll never be able to do that. Arkhan will be at +4 or 5 to unbind, has a 6" longer range on the spell and if faster than anything the maggotkin player has to counter.

10 hours ago, Turragor said:

There will be ways around it (msu for example) and the lists that start rising to the top and winning will have the 'right stuff' to do well even when they draw the short straw of shyish with a strong spell casting opponent.

The only question for me is - will the meta be interesting taking all the changes in question into account. I think it's too early to say (personally). I do like the idea of strong magic.

I HATE the idea of strong magic. Magic is already the most binary, least interesting, most lopsided aspect of the game. At least with shooting your Skyfires can't endlessly block my judicators attacks the way Nagash can shut down 5-8 wizards by himself. I'd personally rather go back to 180pt skyfires and 180pt Kurnoths.

Okay, you still haven't answered my question, so i'll ask you a third time. Do you even enjoy the game? When was the last time you had fun with it?

19 hours ago, BURF1 said:

I'm hoping it will be an add-on that isn't used in more 'competitive' style games, simply because it's TOO good of a disruptive tool. Yes, technically speaking both players have the potential to tale advantage of it but that will be so lopsided the spell immediately breaks certain match-ups.

EVERYTHING FROM HERE DOWN IS ASSUMING TOURNAMENT STYLE COMPETITVE PLAY

But at least you did write a constructive criticism instead of just some irritable rant. So fair is fair that deserves a genuine conversation. 

I think the last bit here above is the point (the rest of the post were just examples of how you could disabuse it in matched pay). I agree that there is a huge potential of misuse with that spell. Therefore I expect it to be the add on thing like time of war and realm rules. I don't reckon it will be much used in tournament style competitive play. But that doesn't make it a bad addition. 

Don't know if you tried the siege rules from the GH17? I did, it was a bit... wonky but very much fun. So I think it's a big differentiator which always should be mentioned when people say their piece: what kind of play (thus context) are you speaking about it. 

19 hours ago, BURF1 said:

er lists, and yet it should be immediately obvious just how 'boned'(heh, pun)

Also this? From the man/woman who said the second worst thing about Warhammer/Slaanesh were the horrible puns and double entendre? ;) 

Edited by Kramer
Spelling
  • Like 8

While I generally think that GW is moving in the right direction by putting up a lot of teasers for new content and building hype rather than the old silence-until-preorder plan, I can't help but feel that it's the wrong strategy for something as major as a new edition. 

The problem I have with this trickle of information is that each morsel is really impossible to digest without the context around it, and it has predictably led to no end of pointless flailing by the fanbase. For every new thing that I see which strikes me as interesting, there are more that might have a seriously disruptive effect on the game, but it's impossible to tell because we lack the full context. 

My initial reaction to the new spell lores and artefacts was "wow, cool! That will be really interesting to build around." Now that we know that they are specific to the realm that the individual battle takes place in, I am left wondering how that system will work. Is it intended for just open and narrative play? The rules make sense in that context -- you just work it out with your opponent beforehand as to what realm the battle will be on.

How will it work for matched play and tournaments though? Do you determine the realm randomly at the start of the game? Will tournaments need to specify the realm along with the battleplan for each round? If so, are players going to need to pick their spells and artefacts during the setup of each game?

That could lead to some serious headaches with players needing to pause for a substantial amount of time to make choices before the battle starts, and for tournaments it could lead to some really painful overhead where players have to bring a different list (well, different spell and artefact choices) for each round rather than just one list. It'll be a pain for players to remember all the differences from round to round.

Is GW expecting that tournaments will generally be set on a specific realm for all their rounds? If so that would eliminate the overhead discussed previously but it would add an additional layer of balancing problems where a given army will perform dramatically differently depending on the realm of battle.

Banishment is such a cool spell, but it's powerful enough to be really broken. A tournament where banishment is available is going to be dramatically different from one where it isn't. I'm sure there are other spells that are similarly impactful. 

I feel so weird reading these previews. On the one hand I'm stoked for cool new stuff to use, but on the other hand I'm so stumped by the lack of explanation as to how these rules will function in practice that it really kills my hype.

My suggestion to GW: Next time you do this, don't be so scattershot as to how you preview things. The first few previews should cover the key core mechanics that are necessary to understand the implications of the other changes. It's clear that the realm a battle takes place in will now be a very important factor that influences the way a lot of these secondary rules work. It'd have been a good idea to make the very first article a basic explanation of how the realms will work in the three main ways to play. If we had that information, then the other teasers would make so much more sense. Another example might be command points. Wouldn't it have been better to get an in depth article explaining how CP works in the new edition at the very start of the previews? 

• Like 6

I get the feeling that the way GW plans to speed up games is to make everything die really quick by boosting damage by 500%, through command point combos that inspiring and mystic shield will barely reduce. 

Spoiler

(and I'm fine with that)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bsharitt said:

I hope so. Nice to see my investments in the non-battletome Nighthaunt and Moonclan armies look like they'll both pay off this year. Maybe I should go buy some down on their luck stocks and hope for the same results...

Buy a giant Spiderfang army next.

Help us @bsharitt, you are our only hope...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As if there wasn’t enough good news for the Legions of Nagash – we’ve got some exciting announcements about the new Nighthaunt units. While the Nighthaunt will be getting fully realised as a faction in their own right, many of their units will also be accessible for Legions of Nagash armies – so if you’ve been eyeing up the new models, now you’ve got an excuse to pick them up…

It's this piece of news that pleases me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lanoss said:

Hey!

Do we know when the GHB18 will be released? Will it be WITH AoS2.0 or during a later month?

From the latest Summoning article

" For some recent armies, this ability works just like it does in your battletome today (but free!). For others, their unique summoning ability will be rolled into their army’s new allegiance abilities, which will be found in the General’s Handbook 2018. "

It implies for me that the General's handbook 2018 will come out with the new edition.

• Thanks 1

the safest bet is that GW need feedback on efficiency of the units on the battlefield because they can't test everything. But when it become evident that a unit is underpowered or overpowered, they will test deeper and yet adjust the points.

That means that at least, they need 3 month then publish.  My bet: sep/oct 2018

2 hours ago, LLV said:

Things in the battletome will be changed online and with ghb/ main rules. You won’t buy a new BoK tome..... yet....

But by the end of the year ? 

With a Korgorath available for sale? Or a squad of Korgorath in new poses?