The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, DinoJon said:

Busy day today! 

I'm curious if Seraphon will get more than 7 new releases. Do we have how many kits Soulblight got... minus the 3 or 4 heroes that were supposed to be Cursed City models? 

Setting aside Underworlds, Warcry, Cursed City, the various Vyrkos characters, and any limited run models, we end up with...

Deathrattle Skeletons
Deadwalker Zombies
Dire Wolves
Blood Knights
Vampire Lord
Wight King on Steed
Fel Bats
Vengorian Lord

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fibo said:
I dont think many of us are interested in KO. I would also like to know more about it but seems like all the head are turned toward our LizardMen and not on the next BT yet ^^

While lizards look cool, I would buy any Kharadron that isn't an infantry hero for ≥€20* or battletome. 

*Admiral with model boat excluded. I need that.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

I don't know. GW products are luxuries. Very addictive luxuries, but luxuries nonetheless. If people have to choose between paying rent and buying food, or buying GW products most will go with the essentials of life. Raising prices is likely to reduce overall sales, and if GW haven't forecast accurately, might even hurt their profits.

They have already mostly lost me and another friend I sometimes paint with.

I got into model planes. Currently working on a highly detailed 1:48 Eduard Tempest (about 25*20 cm) that I purchased for €17,24 (overtrees). It has the panel lines and rivets in all the right places and is in no way less than any GW kit. ICM kits are arguably a better purchase, because their internals are very complete (I like building engines).

I can't purchase infantry heroes (except some old world leftovers, though they are less than a euro behind now) for that price.

I'll buy specific GW sets every once in a while, like a box of skinks to be kobolds for my PF campaign, but not that often. Those are invariably infantry boxes (necromunda gangs included) and they need to be either less than €2 per model or incredibly versatile. Or Kharadron.

I already know that their books are not the quality I want for a higher price than I want with an unreasonably short shelf life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Draznak said:

We just know that it will be Slaaneshi cultists vs. Destro warband (my money on orruks according to @Whitefang hints).

Are you sure ? There is no slaaneshi icon on the map. Orruks are there indeed.

ON7nZej.png

Nightmare quest sounds more Undead to me 

Edited by cyrus

5 minutes ago, cyrus said:

Are you sure ? There is no slaaneshi icon on the map. Orruks are there indeed.

ON7nZej.png

Nightmare quest sounds more Undead to me 

I believe Whitefang has teased that map isn’t completely accurate, due to it being designed before somethings were finalised. It can also refer to things from Underworlds (we’ve not had a Gloomspite warband yet but we did get one for Underworlds)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Freemeta said:

it's not possible to recommend this hobby to new and young customers. each time it's heart breaking. so people are moving to 3d printing and it hurts lgs. there is a tournament in a lgs near me and they have to check army to see if there is counterfeit miniatures...and allow 1 unit 3d printed/3rd party. maybe we should just move to 9th age at this point.

I am currently running a boarding actions league. Yet my pupils can’t afford GW‘s nonsense. So I ended up buying old models from gaming clubs and from my friends. This way they can participate in the narrative without having to spent a cent.

But wait, isn’t GW‘s marketing trying to get people at the age of 12+ into the game? My pupils are 16-26 - no chance they’ll ever buy a GW box.

It‘s like Peachy said in an interview: At some point it’s a hobby for the rich. First signs are showing: Ebay in Germany is almost dead compared to 2019 when it comes to Warhammer.

I‘ve put up my Nighthaunt on ebay yesterday putting them in packages of 2x Infantry units + 1 Hero. I used the 15-20% discount prices of online shops and put them online with another 15% off. Looking at the prices: It’s still ludacris!

C5A406A2-D6B2-4EBE-8278-BB9BBBD15A15.png

also 

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I got into model planes. Currently working on a highly detailed 1:48 Eduard Tempest (about 25*20 cm) that I purchased for €17,24 (overtrees). It has the panel lines and rivets in all the right places and is in no way less than any GW kit. ICM kits are arguably a better purchase, because their internals are very complete (I like building engines).

That's what gets me I think. Other manufacturers using the same materials (I think model planes etc. Are all styrene), on a smaller scale, manage to sell their products for way less than GW. I'm willing to believe the prices of designing stuff is more expensive for GW (you don't really need concept art for model planes for example) but the difference in price is just ludicrous.

I'm not at the point where I'm going to give up on GW yet. I'm lucky enough to have enough disposable income to be able to afford the price rises (though I'll have to cut back what I buy). But this has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I was seriously considering whether to give up. I have so little time to spend on the hobby anyway that in some ways giving up would be easier than trying to juggle my time, but I do like the creative outlet and I still appreciate Games Workshops worlds.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, JerekKruger said:

That's what gets me I think. Other manufacturers using the same materials (I think model planes etc. Are all styrene), on a smaller scale, manage to sell their products for way less than GW. I'm willing to believe the prices of designing stuff is more expensive for GW (you don't really need concept art for model planes for example) but the difference in price is just ludicrous.

I'm not at the point where I'm going to give up on GW yet. I'm lucky enough to have enough disposable income to be able to afford the price rises (though I'll have to cut back what I buy). But this has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I was seriously considering whether to give up. I have so little time to spend on the hobby anyway that in some ways giving up would be easier than trying to juggle my time, but I do like the creative outlet and I still appreciate Games Workshops worlds.

I do think getting concept art for historical models is easier, but it seems easier to design molds for a model you can control. Supports on engines, antennas, pitot tubes, piping, gun barrels etc  can be really thin and fragile, and some panels need to be flat, detailed, strong and thin enough so you can open them (to show guns or engine) and it doesn't look weird. There is a reason the engine of the Messerschmidt I recently made has 33 parts and still would benefit from some custom tubing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

My point is that if sales go down by enough as a result of this price rise, they may not be able to do that.

But it won't, will it? They know exactly what they're doing. The core customer profile has changed, it's not nerdy kids buying single figs with their pocket money any more, like it was back in the 80s, it's mostly middle-aged men with jobs and a long established relationship with the hobby. Will people grumble? Oh, yes. Will it be a record sales year for GW, with two big and highly anticipated releases for AoS and a new edition of 40k? Also yes.

And by next year people will normalise the higher prices,like they always did in the past, and GW will clock yet another year-on-year record profit.

The only way I can see it hurting them long term is that the intake of new players will start to dry up. But that's what they've got the whole Warhammer Alliance programme for, to mitigate for that at least to some degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, EonChao said:

I believe Whitefang has teased that map isn’t completely accurate, due to it being designed before somethings were finalised. It can also refer to things from Underworlds (we’ve not had a Gloomspite warband yet but we did get one for Underworlds)

The skeleton underwolds warband is also represented on the map. So if the next warcry box has to be destruction it could easily be Orruks, Ogors or Spiderfang.

(The underworlds season is finished now right?)

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I am currently running a boarding actions league. Yet my pupils can’t afford GW‘s nonsense. So I ended up buying old models from gaming clubs and from my friends. This way they can participate in the narrative without having to spent a cent.

But wait, isn’t GW‘s marketing trying to get people at the age of 12+ into the game? My pupils are 16-26 - no chance they’ll ever buy a GW box.

It‘s like Peachy said in an interview: At some point it’s a hobby for the rich. First signs are showing: Ebay in Germany is almost dead compared to 2019 when it comes to Warhammer.

I‘ve put up my Nighthaunt on ebay yesterday putting them in packages of 2x Infantry units + 1 Hero. I used the 15-20% discount prices of online shops and put them online with another 15% off. Looking at the prices: It’s still ludacris!

Ive been saying for a while that GW is pricing themselves out of the next generation of customers and even current ones. I dont recommend the hobby to anyone regardless of age and money. The model quality is good for new stuff for sure but thats it. Everything else is a price gouging scam because of greed and thats it.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Just a thought but what about moving the approach to Kill Team. Running a campaign of kill team missions with a couple of larger 40k skirmish games culminating in a bigger 40k boarding action game where each pupil plays a squad or two? I get there's the argument that it's ever more expensive but that's how some of the clubs around here used to make games accessible, each person playing just a squad or two, or a squad and a vehicle.

57 minutes ago, Grungnisson said:

But it won't, will it? They know exactly what they're doing. The core customer profile has changed, it's not nerdy kids buying single figs with their pocket money any more, like it was back in the 80s, it's mostly middle-aged men with jobs and a long established relationship with the hobby. Will people grumble? Oh, yes. Will it be a record sales year for GW, with two big and highly anticipated releases for AoS and a new edition of 40k? Also yes.

And by next year people will normalise the higher prices,like they always did in the past, and GW will clock yet another year-on-year record profit.

The only way I can see it hurting them long term is that the intake of new players will start to dry up. But that's what they've got the whole Warhammer Alliance programme for, to mitigate for that at least to some degree.

The customer profile hasn't changed that much, there's still a good chunk of it that's kids buying stuff, it's just pocket money has to go a little further. It's also become more of an easier sell to parents, a lot of them grew up with it and harbour an amount of nostalgia, and quite frankly Warhammer is expensive but a damn sight better in terms of quality and parental appeal than a whole mess of the stuff influencers are getting kids hooked on.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gitzdee said:

The skeleton underwolds warband is also represented on the map. So if the next warcry box has to be destruction it could easily be Orruks, Ogors or Spiderfang.

(The underworlds season is finished now right?)

It's finishing with Gryselle's Arenai (Daughters of Khain) in the near future but I believe the expectation is the next season will also take place in Gnarlwood (seeing as Shadespire, Beastgrave and Harrowdeep all had two seasons set in them).

My personal guess is that the shift of Underworlds from 2 seasons in the same place over 2 years to 2 seasons in the same place in 1 year with less expansion is to allow them to mesh their world building and exploration with Warcry. Use the two games to build up locations they can use for future narrative events.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I've been saying for a while that GW is pricing themselves out of the next generation of customers and even current ones. I dont recommend the hobby to anyone regardless of age and money.

Even though I am excited for the Cities revamp, I am dreading the inevitable price hike, that's for sure. I honestly don't know if I would be willing to spend Teclis or Mega-Gargant money on a kit. I have not had to make this decision so far. But it might be a step that I am unwilling to take when it comes to it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

So with the price increases and more there must definitely be coming something for the skaven?

have there been any rumors at this point for a possible skaven release, the update of a book containing new skaven rules, making the faction more skaveny then guru like as the chrrent book does?

Maybe the next Warcry box is Skaven vs Destruction?

Edit: Skaven vs Ogors would be a box i would like to see.

Edit 2: Spiderfang would be the dream but i dont see Gitz happening so soon after the tome release.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2