The Rumour Thread

15 hours ago, Chikout said:

I've seen a lot of moaning about the lack of recent AoS content but I'm genuinely excited to read Gothghul Hollow. Anna Stephens' non gw books have reviewed extremely well. We could be in for something special. 

I am very tempted to pre-order this book, it sounds really good! I haven't read any of her other stuff / other Warhammer Horror so I'll be waiting for reviews like a responsible adult 😅

11 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

It is part of why I am always surprised that they do not have more of a template for stats in Age of Sigmar. Like 2 wounds on all duardin seems like a pretty simple and obvious change that could be carried across the board. 

They do have template stats in aos, its just less clear when they use them. In 2e 'ardboyz, liberators, and chaos warriors were all very similar statlines for similar costs(you could probably dig up a couple more 2w models that fit the bill as well, like boingrot bounderz), and there was absolutely no shortage of 1 wound infantry that hit on 4s and 4s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

I really wish GW would have articles about Soulbound and their other TTRPGs... This looks so good and yet I had to stumble upon a reddit post to even see it.

I've got to pick up the Soulbound books, just for the Lore alone. I've no idea how an Official Licensed GW product doesnt get any publicity by GW themselves!?

They generally don't bother doing articles for the stuff they license out beyond maybe a little 'we're releasing this thing!' when it comes out, I assume cos it'd basically be advertising another company's product even if it is using the warhammer license (In theory I suppose Cubicle 7 and the like have their own advertising budgets) but you'd think a little more cross-promotion wouldn't hurt for some of these licensed products.

Edited by Lucentia
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

They generally don't bother doing articles for the stuff they license out beyond maybe a little 'we're releasing this thing!' when it comes out, I assume cos it'd basically be advertising another company's product even if it is using the warhammer license (In theory I suppose Cubicle 7 and the like have their own advertising budgets) but you'd think a little more cross-promotion wouldn't hurt for some of these licensed products.

It's just extremely bizarre from a marketing standpoint, especially when the tabletop games themselves only warrant 1-3 articles a day? Having a 3rd or 4th article dedicated to getting people into your tertiary media like video games and TTRPGs seems like a slam dunk. Heck, it took until Total Warhammer 3 for GW to really run ANY articles on one of the best selling strategy series ever.

• Like 1

GW marketing in general has always been bizarre (or extremely conservative) they don’t really advertise or market their product outside of the tabletop circle or reach out to the broader market. It seems like they feel like their product sell themselves and they are content with where they are in the industry and just like doing their own thing.

it like the recent Henry Cavill thing and him liking Warhammer. You have a big celebrity who been a big fan of your product and gave GW free advertising but GW themselves didn’t mention it or even build of that hype.

• Like 3

They've always been really weird about third party advertisement. It's completely random. Wrath & Glory (the 40k RPG) had it's own series of short comics on the Community page, but after that you nary heard a word about it and I don't remember WHFRP 4E or Soulbound getting any press on the Community page after either.

I could see Space Marine 2 getting a lot of Community coverage just because it encourages people into buying Primaris.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

Its great how joined up with the ongoing AoS narrative Soulbound seems to be. Its clear that they have a lot of access, and are able to really expand and detail the setting in a meaningful way. Even if you don't play RPGs they are great as lore books about the setting.

GW have always been funny about supporting their licensed RPGs, even back in the day when Dark Heresy was big, they didn't really acknowledge that it was a thing. I wonder whether it was the forces within the company which shifted it away from doing RPGs in house in the first place. I wonder if some of the higher ups are happy to license it out, but are worried that it will somehow split their player base or stop people buying models if they invest heavily into buying books from C7. I don't think that's a logical position, but its the only one I've ever been able to think of to explain it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Its great how joined up with the ongoing AoS narrative Soulbound seems to be. Its clear that they have a lot of access, and are able to really expand and detail the setting in a meaningful way. Even if you don't play RPGs they are great as lore books about the setting.

GW have always been funny about supporting their licensed RPGs, even back in the day when Dark Heresy was big, they didn't really acknowledge that it was a thing. I wonder whether it was the forces within the company which shifted it away from doing RPGs in house in the first place. I wonder if some of the higher ups are happy to license it out, but are worried that it will somehow split their player base or stop people buying models if they invest heavily into buying books from C7. I don't think that's a logical position, but its the only one I've ever been able to think of to explain it.

Do they get space in White Dwarf? Its a shame they are not on warcom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I think this probably is it, a fear of TTRPGs intruding on their gaming space in a way that video games or funko pops or other licensed thing don't. As I understand it part of the reason FFG were dropped as partners/licensees and all that generation of 40k RPGs thrown in the bin was that FFG were themselves getting into the tabletop minis sphere with stuff like X-Wing.

It's a shame. WFRP was some of the best written stuff in Warhammer, Dark Heresy and co. some of the best in 40k, and the same applies for Soulbound and AoS.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I think this probably is it, a fear of TTRPGs intruding on their gaming space in a way that video games or funko pops or other licensed thing don't. As I understand it part of the reason FFG were dropped as partners/licensees and all that generation of 40k RPGs thrown in the bin was that FFG were themselves getting into the tabletop minis sphere with stuff like X-Wing.

It's a shame. WFRP was some of the best written stuff in Warhammer, Dark Heresy and co. some of the best in 40k, and the same applies for Soulbound and AoS.

Right, and if you look at GWs history there was a point where there was the Games Workshop side doing RPGs and the Citadel side doing wargames. While theu kept both names, its the Citadel side we have today, and I wonder if they feel branching out too much into rpgs would be a step backwards or dilute the warhammer brand that's been the cornerstone of their success, or something like that? Maybe?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Kharadron silhouette spotted.

Hope you like soup.

272726177_1533368363724803_4424255192574

Will my Dwarf Soup call actually pan out? Would be nice, I need a hit to cherry pick after having my OBR and Beasts predictions basically invalidated by the last two Tome Celestials. Although I also called KO not being part of the Dwarf Soup book, so I guess I'm just wrong either way.