The Rumour Thread

18 minutes ago, Ratboy genius said:

I don't think aos has had many reliable rumors for years anywhere near the level of 40k. People don't want to lose their jobs for a tiny bit of clout 

We use to when LLV was around and we got good rumors about DoK, Deepkin and the soul wars starter set with Nighthaunt.

granted I have feeling a lot 40K content creator have knowledge of upcoming AoS stuff too but they rarely tell anyone (or they mention it in passing but no one really pass the rumors on to the AoS community). Like both Valrek and Kirioth had sources that said Sons of Behemat where coming out soon but Valrek only said much later on and Kirioth mentioned it in one of his video but not many AoS player watches his channel so it went off the radar

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

We use to when LLV was around and we got good rumors about DoK, Deepkin and the soul wars starter set with Nighthaunt.

granted I have feeling a lot 40K content creator have knowledge of upcoming AoS stuff too but they rarely tell anyone (or they mention it in passing but no one really pass the rumors on to the AoS community). Like both Valrek and Kirioth had sources that said Sons of Behemat where coming out soon but Valrek only said much later on and Kirioth mentioned it in one of his video but not many AoS player watches his channel so it went off the radar

We're so desperate that we keep combing through 4chan rumours, come on Valrak, any drop in a desert is an oasis

• Haha 2

Yea, this TG rumour is at great odds with the current rumoured release schedule, does not mention probable Archaon rework and is quite weird overall, so I'd call this one to be fake as hell. Honestly, why quote 4chan rumours at all (besides boredom) and when was the last time they were proven to be true?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

We're so desperate that we keep combing through 4chan rumours, come on Valrak, any drop in a desert is an oasis

Well he probably super happy right now that his campaign to get space marine 2 to be made succeeded to care about us lol

Edited by novakai

31 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

Yea, this TG rumour is at great odds with the current rumoured release schedule, does not mention probable Archaon rework and is quite weird overall, so I'd call this one to be fake as hell. Honestly, why quote 4chan rumours at all (besides boredom) and when was the last time they were proven to be true?

the vast majority are just half-assed wishlists, but the anonymity + ease of slipping real rumours amongst the ****** makes it a good place for leaks, there have been some legit leaks from that site over the years but not frequent
that, and it can be fun to keep tabs on promising ones out of sheer hope

edit: I do not understand this word filter, why is "assed" fine but not "c(rap)"

Edited by Indecisive

Seems the engine has changed, now looking at Chaos. The preview os there on the banner but I think that went through earlier than intended because the actual page has been “expunged”

I think it’s a lightning claw for Chaos Chosen.

BD204F90-99DD-411A-954B-090AD123AD9E.jpeg

Edited by Kronos
  • Like 3

Looks like it could be CSM chosen gear then, goes some way towards confirming the eldar vs CSM rumours.

On a Nurgle note, the 360 shows that sorceror to be quite a bit better than I first thought. Lots of cool insectile detail like his legs being those of a beetle and his arm being halfway along the path from human to bug. Still unfortunate that he’s the only release for a range that could do with some reason mortal units but not a bad mini.

My first impression, sorry if it sounds a bit negative:

-  🈂️ I feel it's definitely ticking the box on how Nurgle should be played but it lacks inspiration. 

- Most lists will have the same command trait and artefacts because most of them have silly rules where planets need to be aligned to works or to be impactful.

- Lots to keep track of between the contagion points, the wheel, tokens sub faction rules and the silly artefacts / command Traits. I would not recommend this army if you start AoS. 

- Sub faction are meh, I don't think they are impactful enough to encourage you to play with a variety of lists and models. Expect spam. 

- It's super tanky ! Wards save on your whole army and can heal, but doesn't seem to have non hero hammer units.  feel It's going to be rough for mid tier armies to deal with MoN, it might even be NPE for mele armies like BoK.

On the other hand, MoN is slow and elite, most top tiers are good at focus fire and repositioning, which is I think the perfect way to counter Nurgle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Seems everything is fine. A lot of better profiles overall and a lot of diferent styles to play. 

What do you think?

Not fond of how the book seems to ignore design constraints set in the first two battletomes. Stormcast and each warclan only got 3 battle traits each. Nurgle has 6, and one of them has an "in addition". This is especially relevant because of how gutted bonesplitterz were, presumably because of those constraints.

Furthermore they've gone back to the 3/6 tables for enhancements immediately after breaking out of it (kruleboyz definitely could've used an extra artefact or two, and bonesplitterz would've loved to keep a few more of their 2e spells...) 

In terms of the rules themselves stacking disease counters doesn't do enough to justify the hassle of bookkeeping (which is kind of what I expected...). The mechanic works but it would've been cleaner if it were binary. I'm a bit sad summoning is still tied to objective control and not disease points.

The scrolls and rules are much cleaner, and the power level seems fine, my guess is they slip comfortably into mid tier (which is exactly where we want armies to go). I do worry that their bulk will make them unbeatable for low tier armies though.

• Like 2

Great model chaos book. Wish hedonites got this writer and this quality of a product from a multibillion company. 

Anyway I don't play nurgle but this book seems great, summoning plays a minor roll UNLESS you build an army around it and the book gives you options to do so. 

Several angles how to build army seem possible personally If I were to buy a nurgle army I would go with 16ish model 1 drop army in Drowned men with battleline Pusgoyle and 2 heroes lords of afflictions + a caster. +8 pregame move is amazing and double reinforcing Pusgoyle to 6 models is something I would personally love to do.  

Other options seem a damage check plaguebearers army who are still more cost effective per points with their 2 wounds and  5+ ward. Demon/Mortals/Casters seem also nice. 

With Glottkin going up 300ish points to 700+ mark I think even a Timmi's heart must feel happy. 

Artefacts seems great, I can really respect a bad artifact with powerful effects like the eye of nurgle which can roll it's 16.6% probability and just kill Archaon/Nagash from 100-0 instead of those bad artifacts with bad effects we got in some books.

When it comes to subsystems there are several flavourful rules DPs and CPs + the wheel which seem to compliment really nicely on the paper. I really like that they produced a more complicated book. 

Personally I find it really disingenuous when you tell people that you aim to write simple warscrolls in the last issue of the White Dwarf and then proceed to write a simple warscroll but it has this  extrinsic ruleset where 3 different game subsystems add lines of rules on each of it. (5+ ward, diseased rules, Wheel rules that can change so several of them as an option) 

Really happy for the nurgle players, maybe this won't be the most meta book but if you have a big nurgle collection you get so many options and armies to try out! 

For a player who is not a nurgle player I can just say that this great, flavourful,  probably successful book showcases how bad GW rules department is. The inconsistency and volatility with the new rules we see lack any quality control step - or a very bad one where certain writes are favourites whoever is in charge of the department and can push any rules -  and they talk about useless and constrictive ways how to design a warscroll meanwhile they can fully  circumvent it with the battletome rule set. For me this book and hedonites rules or bonesplitterz exist in a completely different universes. Miles apart in quality being sold for the same price. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Overread said:

Nurgle, if I recall right, was always the more "tanky" Chaos side to things.

Nurgle - tank
Khorne - heavy hitter
Slaanesh - glass cannon
Tzeentch - magic! 

So nurgle being a tanky tome sounds about right, hard to kill and pretty tough. 

I agree, they always were the army where they took a long time to get a hit in, but when they did it hurt, and on the other side of that, trying to dent it was nigh on impossible.

I wish I could agree that khorne were heavy hitters, but not anymore - they're lots of hits-ers but certainly not heavy.

I'd love MoK to be like in 3rd ed fantasy, where it gave you a +1 to strength  so the aos equivalent would be higher damage output vs lots of lunatic attacks that bounce off like a elf's palm slaps, or even a +1 to hit -   I think it would be more representative of the models as well who are physically powerful and swollen with khorne rage - speed won't be so much their forte, but they will always make a blow bite.

But yes nurgle - you're totally right , magic, cannons, planets falling , then the dust settle and clears and they're all still there picking their noses with that "was that it?" look about them.

A big nurgle I'm bored of this now sigh.. and then the huge rusty greataxes come out to put an end to it all.

• Like 3

I think some of the old Demon themes will weaken a bit as they are shifting from being parts of an army to being armies of their own. Eg the only ranged weapons used to be magic or the Khorne Skull Cannon ,but now we've seen Tzeentch and Slaanesh getting archer and ranged units of their own and such. Heck I expect at some stage we'll see artillery added to all the gods not just Khorne. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Feii said:

Personally I find it really disingenuous when you tell people that you aim to write simple warscrolls in the last issue of the White Dwarf and then proceed to write a simple warscroll but it has this  extrinsic ruleset where 3 different game subsystems add lines of rules on each of it. (5+ ward, diseased rules, Wheel rules that can change so several of them as an option) 

For a player who is not a nurgle player I can just say that this great, flavourful,  probably successful book showcases how bad GW rules department is. The inconsistency and volatility with the new rules we see lack any quality control step - or a very bad one where certain writes are favourites whoever is in charge of the department and can push any rules -  and they talk about useless and constrictive ways how to design a warscroll meanwhile they can fully  circumvent it with the battletome rule set. For me this book and hedonites rules or bonesplitterz exist in a completely different universes. Miles apart in quality being sold for the same price. 

Yeah this is what really gets me, and is why early edition tomes suffer so heavily, they always abandon the design constraints they set at the start.

I'm also of the opinion that simple core rules + complex tome rules (like in 2e) was a better design philosophy anyways, since your players have more control over how complex their game is, doubly so because of how gw abandons their design restrictions a few books in. Want complexity? Play lumineth, want beer and pretzels? Play SoB/Ironjawz

16 minutes ago, Feii said:

Yep. I found it silly how people were looking at the SE and OW books and trying to interpret design direction for future tomes from them. We should understand by now that each battletome exists in a vacuum with complete disregard to the design of old, recent, or planned new books. It's simply whatever they feel inspired to write when looking at the models in front of them. This also applies to points.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Orbei said:

Yep. I found it silly how people were looking at the SE and OW books and trying to interpret design direction for future tomes from them. We should understand by now that each battletome exists in a vacuum with complete disregard to the design of old, recent, or planned new books. It's simply whatever they feel inspired to write when looking at the models in front of them. This also applies to points.

Inconsistent design constraints is bad design. Period.

Breaking your design constraints either means they were bad from the start so you justifiably get rid if it (everything designed with that constraint becomes suspect), or you're breaking a good design principal which will hurt the product.

If each battletome is designed in a vacuum they might as well throw balance out the window too.

You're not exactly wrong about that being how GW operates though, its just frustrating that its the case, especially when they put out articles on their design goals. They seem to understand good design, but are never disciplined enough to care.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1