The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

it's cool we can get a bunch of AOS fiction bundled together, and audiobooks at that!!! but wow is most of this 40k and none of it is Xenos... 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/10/more-warhammer-than-you-can-shake-a-chainsword-at-in-these-huge-black-library-bundles/

As it has always been. But at least there's a harlequin on one of the covers. That counts as Xenos content I reckon...

I have to say that I really like how GW matches the Flair of the realm on to the releases tied to them:

Ulgu: What happens in Ulgu, stays in Ulgu. That does account especially for Malerion.

Hysh: Bathe in Teclis and LRL radiant Glory! 

Shyish: Past glory days are over, new releases are now dead for GA:Death. 

Ghur: A wild mess of a release shedule for the Ghur-Edition. Perfect match!

Ghyran: Well, last time I checked my Flower pots they were doing fine so as long as I do not look at them I can assume this is still true.

Varanspire: Well, the mess of rules that S2D are they are the perfect manifestation of Chaos. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 16
  • LOVE IT! 1

42 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Sometimes I legitimately wonder if GW has seen the 3rd party xenos releases and decided it's not worth trying to catch up so please just play space marines.

I hope the rumored eldar range refresh hits early next year and makes this comment age like milk.

Unfortunately I think it's just the case that Xenos hardly sell as well as Space Marines. While it was ridiculously priced, Blood of the Phoenix stuck around for ages. In addition, the Ork box didn't sell out too quickly (nor did the limited edition book). It's a vicious cycle - not just about a lack of model support, but having the fanbase behind it not being as large or invested. 

Maybe because xenos player get bored of every release and atention be for marines and stop play to 40k as i did.

I started with 40k tau,then 2 years later i changed to aos because i got sick of see how it wasnt 40k,it was only horus herexy with only marines everywhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

Unfortunately I think it's just the case that Xenos hardly sell as well as Space Marines. While it was ridiculously priced, Blood of the Phoenix stuck around for ages. In addition, the Ork box didn't sell out too quickly (nor did the limited edition book). It's a vicious cycle - not just about a lack of model support, but having the fanbase behind it not being as large or invested. 

Wait I am pretty sure there was an uproar of the Ork beast box selling out too quickly every where and many Ork players not able to get a codex until the official release happen. Blood of the phonix was  just a bad box though.

but then again it’s not BT boxes sold out that fast either which was mostly space marines which I believe are not unique units either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

Might also be done WHFBitis here. Insofar as Xenos players already having fairly large collections and thus not really driving sales. 

• Like 2

On a slightly different note...is it usual that a new, incoming battletome has such a low amount of hype going for it? I'm talking about Maggotkin, of course, but seemingly noone else does. 

I got into the game shortly after Lumineth wave 1 were out, and every army that was released or renewed after them (Lumineth wave 2, Soulblight Gravelords, Thunderstrike Stormcast, Kruleboyz..) had a lot more talk going on for them. And then I realized that GW also didn't do a whole lot to get the hype going: there was exactly one community article for Maggotkin which featured the slightly underwhelming sorcerer and nothing substantial on rules. 

Nurgle is one of the most unique and interesting concepts when it comes to 'evil' and 'evil armies' that GW ever came up with, and I'm slightly baffled they themselves seem so uninterested in Maggotkin that they can't come up with anything that feels fresh. 

Are these types of low-key half-assed releases with just one generic hero and slightly updated rules a common thing in AOS? I guess the second Daughters of Khaine tome might fall into that category, though I think it's an amazing book..

Edited by Maogrim
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

On a slightly different note...is it usual that a new, incoming battletome has such a low amount of hype going for it? I'm talking about Maggotkin, of course, but seemingly noone else does. 

I got into the game shortly after Lumineth wave 1 were out, and every army that was released or renewed after them (Lumineth wave 2, Soulblight Gravelords, Thunderstrike Stormcast, Kruleboyz..) had a lot more talk going on for them. And then I realized that GW also didn't do a whole lot to get the hype going: there was exactly one community article for Maggotkin which featured the slightly underwhelming sorcerer and nothing substantial on rules. 

Nurgle is one of the most unique and interesting concepts when it comes to 'evil' and 'evil armies' that GW ever came up with, and I'm slightly baffled they themselves seem so uninterested in Maggotkin that they can't come up with anything that feels fresh. 

Are these types of low-key half-assed releases with just one generic hero and slightly updated rules a common thing in AOS? I guess the second Daughters of Khaine tome might fall into that category, though I think it's an amazing book..

In think these are 2 different things u are talking about. All those releases came with a lot of new models and really updated the model range for those armies. U can expect more hype when that happens. Maggotkin just got a battletome because it was one of the older ones. I dont play maggotkin but from what i read it wasnt even needed that much except for some rule updates to 3.0. At least they got a new model and a good nurgle bundle for a few days. 

If i would ever buy into a new army i might consider maggotkin, i really like the looks of that army. Only downside is that i already own orruk warclans and gloomspite gitz, thats a lot of green paint XD.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Enoby said:

I remember that I've seen some numbers from a big survey (Reddit? White Dwarf?) that about 70-80% of 40k players own some sort of Space Marine army. Assuming this is true and GW knows about it, it makes perfect sense they release so much Marine stuff: It simply has a wider potential target group. Also it becomes some sort of self-fullfilling prophecy: More new stuff, more players attracted to marines. I am just afraid this is a bit unhealthy for the game on long term.

Btw this is what makes AoS so awesome: People play very much different armies which leads to a more diverse game.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Charleston said:

I remember that I've seen some numbers from a big survey (Reddit? White Dwarf?) that about 70-80% of 40k players own some sort of Space Marine army. Assuming this is true and GW knows about it, it makes perfect sense they release so much Marine stuff: It simply has a wider potential target group. Also it becomes some sort of self-fullfilling prophecy: More new stuff, more players attracted to marines. I am just afraid this is a bit unhealthy for the game on long term.

Btw this is what makes AoS so awesome: People play very much different armies which leads to a more diverse game.

There are also quite a few talented creators making alternate Orc sculpts. If you ignore something for long enough, people will go away.

Also note that the orcs from the box can't be built with all the same weapons, you can only build them mixed arms because GW was stingy with extra parts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iksdee said:

In think these are 2 different things u are talking about. All those releases came with a lot of new models and really updated the model range for those armies. U can expect more hype when that happens. Maggotkin just got a battletome because it was one of the older ones. I dont play maggotkin but from what i read it wasnt even needed that much except for some rule updates to 3.0. At least they got a new model and a good nurgle bundle for a few days. 

If i would ever buy into a new army i might consider maggotkin, i really like the looks of that army. Only downside is that i already own orruk warclans and gloomspite gitz, thats a lot of green paint XD.

You could go into other unhealthy colours. Perhaps yours look like different stages of bruising and infected flesh?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Well the other armies you mentioned had many new units. We don't really know yet if the Sorcerer is the only new model and the Harbinger of Decay, Epidemius and Festus stay the same for now or if they get new models as well.

I would guess we get the most information about the Maggotkin Release in the week before preorder.

We actually had other releases like the Maggotkin release before (many of the the 2.0 Battletomes were such releases). Just look at the the Daughters of Khaine, that were released before. Okay, they had the Ironscale with Shadows & Pain, than the new Battletome and Endless Spells were shown in January 2021 with the Preview, the Dead and the Divine. And the next time we heard about Daughters of Khaine, was the Sunday Preview + 3 articles during the week before pre-order (and it should be the same with for example Seraphon, Kharadron Overlords or Disciples of Tzeentch).

Armies that get the hype months before the release are actually quite rare, we only had a quite high concentration since spring 2021.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me or has the info on Warcry: Red Harvest been very sparse?

I mean the game is to be released in two days and their has been only one or two community articles and not a single painting tutorial or battlereport video.

None of those articles had any rules related content, only spot on the two new factions.

🤔

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

Is it just me or has the info on Warcry: Red Harvest been very sparse?

I mean the game is to be released in two days and their has been only one or two community articles and not a single painting tutorial or battlereport video.

None of those articles had any rules related content, only spot on the two new factions.

🤔

The main window for information of the Warcrybox was from October 31st to November 6th.

This weeks information should be mainly for the stuff that is going to pre-order on Saturday. The problem is, most of it is Black Templars and their were multiple articles before thanks to the Armybox.

45 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

The main window for information of the Warcrybox was from October 31st to November 6th.

This weeks information should be mainly for the stuff that is going to pre-order on Saturday. The problem is, most of it is Black Templars and their were multiple articles before thanks to the Armybox.

You might be right there mate, still it doesn’t change the fact that its strange that there has been so little hype about Red Harvest or I am missing something here?

6 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Well, it isn’t a skaven release, how could one be hyped about a book without rats?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

I get the feeling some other releases have been delayed or pushed back and they had Red Harvest ready to go so they released it ahead of schedule. It got released kind of out of nowhere.

Wasn’t there like an announcement, where they mentioned that the book will be coming at some point in December?

26 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

I get the feeling some other releases have been delayed or pushed back and they had Red Harvest ready to go so they released it ahead of schedule. It got released kind of out of nowhere.

Yeah, it was a little out of nowhere. I mean

saturday (warhammer day Preview): "hey, look at the Red Harvest Box"

the sunday after: "Red Harvest will be on preorder next saturday"

To make a compare with Cursed City, the Preview of the Box was february 20th 2021, while the preorder was April 3rd.

I think normally, if we can call it that way because such previews started to exist during the time of corona, it would have been more likely that Red Harvest would have been a release for end of November or early Dezember.

7 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Perhaps it is just healthy skepticism at this point. GW has not exactly been good at communication or straight forward in their 3.0 release schedule so far. Still waiting for the remaining SC releases as well... I won't hype anything at this point which is not in the sunday preview.

With just a single "meh" model to accompany the release and just about 0 other information, there is not much to say and it might still be a month+ away, if no further delays happen, that magically sweeps away AoS releases in particular. Nurgle units and armies are quite commonly seen at this point, they are doing alright on the demon part, while mortals suffer somewhat after the lack of battalion for blight kings. 

I will say for the new book I hope there is a less of a divide between demons and mortals, I think that has been an issue for all the chaos god books, as the tomes should rather unify them under the banner of their god, instead of splitting limited model ranges into even more limited sub factions.

Perhaps some Nurgle players even fear they will end up worse after the book and got no cool new units to look forward to either. 

• Like 5