The Rumour Thread

A recent interview on the wh community site said they work on miniature design projects around 3 years in advance.

It looks to me like Realmgate Wars was their first 'phase' of releases, with Stormies and Bloodbound supported by a smattering of other releases, then Sylvaneth bridge the gap between phase 1 and 2, and phase 2 was tzeentch and kharadrons with reinforcements for stormcasts.

These new rumours, mixed with some recurring ones, suggest phase 3 will be nurgle and Death, possibly with some aelves and any random stuff they might do (the only remotely random armybook this year was Blades of Khorne, which had no models released alongside it).

Personally im more interested in models than rules releases, so i look forward to them getting back on track!

1 hour ago, Auticus said:

Actual terrain rules would be super awesome.  I could stop having to houserule them into my campaigns.

I thought we had terrain warscrolls already (aside from the mystic terrain)?   Link

Would this be different (not a WHFB player so maybe its something I missed)?

5 minutes ago, chord said:

Nooooooo

But you're right sadly.  I'm slowly losing interest in AOS.  Hoping the new storyline (whenever it starts) re-starts my interest.

Well I think the storyline and fundamental difference between WFB and AOS is still really big. The difference being that AOS still allows for mixing up factions under a Grand Allegiance where WFB did not and that the tactical flexability of AOS is actually much better, to the point where it allows for far superior scenery inclusions.

The issue is really that GW has to deal with a competitive mindset and casual mindset, the competitive is often looking for ways to improve the game, be it for Factions or Core Rules, while the casual mindset just wants more and more models, narrative and all kinds of things that are the more physical aspect of the game. In my opinion GW is going back and forth well enough on this. GH2017 was for the competitive mindset, Firestorm and Blightwar for the narrative. 

I'd say if your bummed out now just chillax and look around. There are a lot of great games these days. Since Kickstarter there is easy acces to them for everyone.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Killax said:

In my opinion GW is going back and forth well enough on this. GH2017 was for the competitive mindset, Firestorm and Blightwar for the narrative. 

I'd say if your bummed out now just chillax and look around. There are a lot of great games these days. Since Kickstarter there is easy acces to them for everyone.

For me narrative is the campaign books (and battletomes) and models.  Firestorm and Blightwar provided me no reason to purchase.

I'm super pumped about the new narrative next year. But feels like a long ways to go

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I heard yesterday from a friend that his local GW store manager had said that we might expect an update version of the AoS main rules next year.  I'm taking this with a large pinch of salt as I've not heard anything from other sources, but would be very interesting if that's the case and could explain why we've been light on releases for the main AoS game (but OK on expansions).  I'm thinking we'd find out at the AoS Open Day in March if this is the case.

Hey if they go with a new Rulebook, do you think they will release a new Starter Set ? I'm new to this hobby and only have the Skirmishbook & Storm of Sigmar the little box with a bunch of stormcast and bloodbound to play with (plus Silver Tower which i got in sale). So i'm hesitating to buy the Starter, especially if they would release a new box in 2018

Edited by Sance

21 minutes ago, Sance said:

Hey if they go with a new Rulebook, do you think they will release a new Starter Set ? I'm new to this hobby and only have the Skirmishbook & Storm of Sigmar the little box with a bunch of stormcast and bloodbound to play with (plus Silver Tower which i got in sale). So i'm hesitating to buy the Starter, especially if they would release a new box in 2018

If you want a Stormcast or Khorne army as your main fighting force in Age of Sigmar, you'd be hard-pressed to beat the discount on the full starter set. US$125 for 47 models makes a great start to both armies.

Alternatively, if neither army really interests you going forward, you could wait it out (or just pick up a Start Collecting box for the army that interests you, or get something like the Blightwar box as an alternative). There is apparently lots of precedent for a new edition to come with a new starter kit, so it wouldn't be too outlandish to expect one.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sance said:

A new starter set generally comes along with new rules and similar - however we've not got anything firm on there being updated rules so I'd err on the side of caution (it might be just round the corner or this time next year).  What army are you looking at starting?

53 minutes ago, Auticus said:

I'm talking about things like area terrain blocking line of sight, hills that provide a benefit to holding them, difficult terrain that can slow an army (right now the game moves on fast forward and while I see how that can be appealing, I really miss when holding a ford or bridge or whatever meant something) - -things like rivers and lakes slowing you down.

So mysterious terrain then?

damned d3 mortal wound gives you your +1 to hit

deadly doesn’t slow you down but on a 1 you lose the model

It really isn’t that complicated and the scenery dice @Ben produces are brilliant for a quick reference in game. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

A new starter set generally comes along with new rules and similar - however we've not got anything firm on there being updated rules so I'd err on the side of caution (it might be just round the corner or this time next year).  What army are you looking at starting?

I'm really not in a hurry or anything, i mean i still have the 51 minis from the Silver Tower to paint. Plus i'm fine playing Skirmish at the moment with the few models i have. I really like the two Aelves models in the Silver Tower box, if they want to releases new Aelves army like this figures, i'm in for AoS ! I'm really interested by Soulblight too, so looking forward the new Death thematic campaign as well

Edited by Sance
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sance said:

I'm really not in a hurry or anything, i mean i still have the 51 minis from the Silver Tower to paint. Plus i'm fine playing Skirmish at the moment with the few models i have. I really like the two Aelves models in the Silver Tower box, if they want to releases new Aelves army like this figures, i'm in for AoS ! I'm really interested by Soulblight too, so looking forward the new Death thematic campaign as well

I'd say you can safely wait for a new starter box then :)  The past couple of years they've also done large start collecting style boxes at Christmas time (around £100) so it's possible there might be one you like the look of!

Edited by RuneBrush

1 hour ago, Countmoore said:

So mysterious terrain then?

damned d3 mortal wound gives you your +1 to hit

deadly doesn’t slow you down but on a 1 you lose the model

I prefer more movement hindering abilities and LoS blocking over mortal wounds on a critical miss.

• Like 3

@shinros
I was thinking that the reason death has not gotten anything is because they were going to do a whole campaign where death becomes the main protagonist and suddenly 5 new death armies drop in 6 months. I was also hoping this is not the case because getting too much is not a good thing either, it would be too much to keep up with and too expensive to start 5 new armies in a single year. One new death army every other year would be amazing.

@RuneBrush
Its about time for a core update. The 4 pages include silliness like wound count, sudden death and triumphs - which most of us have been ignoring for years. The scenery rules could use some updates and the core rules could use a little bit more meat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

@shinros
I was thinking that the reason death has not gotten anything is because they were going to do a whole campaign where death becomes the main protagonist and suddenly 5 new death armies drop in 6 months. I was also hoping this is not the case because getting too much is not a good thing either, it would be too much to keep up with and too expensive to start 5 new armies in a single year. One new death army every other year would be amazing.

Nothing is forcing you to buy everything they release upon release 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Auticus said:

I'm talking about things like area terrain blocking line of sight, hills that provide a benefit to holding them, difficult terrain that can slow an army (right now the game moves on fast forward and while I see how that can be appealing, I really miss when holding a ford or bridge or whatever meant something) - -things like rivers and lakes slowing you down.

They don't even need to be super in depth.  Hills granting +1 to hit if you are on the high ground, not being able to run through difficult terrain and slowing charges, and area terrain blocking line of sight would with just those three things make for more interesting battles to me than what we currently have.  

This would be very cool. Some simpler and less fantastical terrain rules would not go amiss

6 hours ago, chord said:

I really hope that a new edition puts all the FAQ's into the rules but keeps the rules simple.  Making them more complex is the last thing GW needs to grow. Simple but deep is the way to go

Exactly this. Could be done quite easily 

5 hours ago, Sance said:

I know that pain! Im getting there on silver tower models slowly but surely!

8 hours ago, Killax said:

The issue is really that GW has to deal with a competitive mindset and casual mindset, the competitive is often looking for ways to improve the game, be it for Factions or Core Rules, while the casual mindset just wants more and more models, narrative and all kinds of things that are the more physical aspect of the game. In my opinion GW is going back and forth well enough on this. GH2017 was for the competitive mindset, Firestorm and Blightwar for the narrative. 

I'd agree with this...in fact I do! ;)

As a narrative gamer I have my eye on Firestorm and Blightwar post holidays. GHB17...not so much atm.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Auticus said:

Maybe.  Its perspective.  The guys I know that won't play AOS have all tried it, and all think its too simple for them.  If it is or is not is not the thing... from a lot of peoples' perspective... it is a very simple rules and strategy game.

What is classified as "simple" cannot be defined for an entire community, its a personal taste that differs from person to person.

When you compare AOS to other games of similar genres, it is to a great many people considered a very simple game in comparison.  

Thats neither good nor bad.  A lot of people that I know that LOVe AOS love it because to them its simple and thats what they want.

People who play one fast test game usually shuffle everything forward for a clash in the middle and don't play with scenario objectives. Then this game is rather simple and dull. But if you play some games and use the scenarios you can have a tacticaly challenging game. For example, Warhammer fantasy had a large rulebook with many different rules but I would say that AoS with it's "four pages" is a more tacticaly complex game than wfb.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Auticus said:

I'm talking about things like area terrain blocking line of sight, hills that provide a benefit to holding them

So not so much rules for terrain, which we already have,  but stealth ways to step the simplicity of the system back to old WFB complications?

(Area terrain -does- block Los ... If it actually does.)

Also, terrain already does hinder movement. You pay the inches to move around a tree. A large enough model cannot fit between two trees in a citadel wood and thus must not only go around,  but cannot end movement there.  1" tall walls take 2" of move plus their width to cross.  The rules in the 4-pager provide. It's just that players are sometimes inclined to ignore them.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd say you can safely wait for a new starter box then :)  The past couple of years they've also done large start collecting style boxes at Christmas time (around £100) so it's possible there might be one you like the look of!

I really hope this is the case and I really hope there's a KO one :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

So not so much rules for terrain, which we already have,  but stealth ways to step the simplicity of the system back to old WFB complications?

(Area terrain -does- block Los ... If it actually does.)

Also, terrain already does hinder movement. You pay the inches to move around a tree. A large enough model cannot fit between two trees in a citadel wood and thus must not only go around,  but cannot end movement there.  1" tall walls take 2" of move plus their width to cross.  The rules in the 4-pager provide. It's just that players are sometimes inclined to ignore them.

I think honestly, it's not so much the line of sight blocking or the movement, it's the fact that buildings are often reduced to impassable terrain, or walls don't provide cover because they don't exist as an 'area'.

I personally believe there are a few issues with the current warscroll approach for terrain. Mainly that each piece of terrain has it's own warscroll, no matter how similar they may be. Also GW don't produce warscrolls for terrain they don't sell. Both are important, because the former means more rules to remember (including all the little nuances and extra spells and what not each give), the latter because it means you're out of luck for many different types of terrain or club terrain which isn't GW plastic.

Personally, if we do ever get a new edition of AoS, I would like to see some complexity creep back into it. 4 pages was a great selling point, for sure. But at the same time, it doesn't mean there isn't space for an 'advanced rules' section, which adds back some nuances back into the game.

I mean, terrain is literally just a page MysteriousLandscapes.pdf

And all I've done is collect the 'similar' rules from various warscrolls and put them in one spot. But I bet most people just count building as impassable terrain, or ignore the rules for walls or ophidian archways, or swamps/lakes/etc are just area terrain that provide cover.