The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

They did update both Skeletons and Zombies recently and both were plastic. I do really want new Bullgors as they are my least favourite plastics in the BoC line but they are not the worst offenders in plastic. If any plastic kit needs an update it is Night Runners: 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Skaven-Night-Runners

But overall my top hopes for updates for Beasts are plastic Centigors and the Shaggoth. I also feel like we might see the Jabberslythe, Cockatrice and Razorgor get retired in favour of some new chaotic monsters*. I think they will do it in a way that gives old fans the ability to use their resin kits but maybe giving them new identities and updated sculpts in plastic.

*Also I am still confused as to how the Chimera fits into the faction now. I feel like it is maybe going to become more of a general pick for Chaos factions with ties to Warcry.

i'm still thinking we might see a new Chimera kit - largely because of the GHB book cover.  Why make a cover where it's a creature that is in the game, but physical differences?  It could be artistic license, but I dunno - seems more like a completely different creature physically.

The reality is a Chimera kit could probably be 3 different builds, if they wanted.  a lot of bang for the buck, and it could be amazing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blood0Tiger said:

Sadly most forums and other warhammer community sites are full of this. More common than anyone cares to admit.

We should all be patient & inclusive. Providing constructive and informative assistance so we can all paint the nasty bare plastic and enjoy some games. 

Yeah, I really appreciate this forum as a place for friendly and positive discourse. It is not always perfect but the community is wonderful and the Moderators do a terrific job. But when I peak my head onto other threads, I often become dismayed by my own hobby and want to sell all my minis... but luckily my own community here and in person are much more inclusive and positive. ❤️

32 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

i'm still thinking we might see a new Chimera kit - largely because of the GHB book cover.  Why make a cover where it's a creature that is in the game, but physical differences?  It could be artistic license, but I dunno - seems more like a completely different creature physically.

The reality is a Chimera kit could probably be 3 different builds, if they wanted.  a lot of bang for the buck, and it could be amazing.

I actually like the current Chimera overall, but it's strange pose and the placement and proportions of the heads are not ideal. I don't know why GW went through an era of Chaos Beasts that looked like they were falling forward... I feel like Galrauch, the Manticore and Chimera are all decent sculpts but got really trashed on some Gargant ale. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

I wouldn't be too shocked if Maggotkin landed first just because it's not only a 1.0 Battletome, but also have numerous updates and rules additions spread across several supplements compared to Beastmen who're largely self-contained, even if in a bad state ruleswise. 

Malekith's lot now have competition from Chaos Dwarfs in the category of "army that is probably going to happen at some point due to lore references so every fake rumour monger says they're just around the corner." How long have people said Malekith's Elves are coming "any month now", since the end of 2016 probably? Neither of them will beat the record holders that are plastic Sisters of Battle though.

It's funny to me that all these 'rumour mongers' waited until the "Hobgrots trade with Chaos Dwarfs" lore came out to declare a Chaos Dwarf army was coming when if they had any real information surely they would have announced it sooner? Still waiting for that Hobgrot cavalry while we're at it.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

A new plastic Shaggoth kit would sell gangbusters. Just imagine a Mega Gargant sized Dragon Ogor? Hell I may even pick one up for conversions it would be monumental.

I could easily imagine starting a Thunderscorn Army. They mix chaos, ogors and dragons my three favourite things in the warhammer universe. I have decided that in the almost impossible scenario that they souped BoC with S2D I am going to add Dragon Ogors to represent the bestial side of Chaos. I am personally hoping that depending on the mark of the general S2D can take 1/4 units of their chosen mark with undivided taking Beasts instead. In a weird way for my own sake Dragon Ogors are every bit as an iconic part of Warhammer as Skaven, Seraphon or Blueberry Stormtroopers. 

There are some amazing 3rd party options for Shaggoth's and I feel like Kragnos can fit the bill in a pinch.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I wouldn't be too shocked if Maggotkin landed first just because it's not only a 1.0 Battletome, but also have numerous updates and rules additions spread across several supplements compared to Beastmen who're largely self-contained, even if in a bad state ruleswise. 

On the other hand, these numerous rule patches also mean that Maggotkin is still comparatively functional as a battletome compared to Beasts. Yeah, it's not great that you have to work out of 3 or so books for all your stuff, but Nurgle is mechanically in surprisingly good shape considering how old the tome is.

However, I still think we will see Nurgle first, because I think the next release will be battletome-only. I think the Beasts release will probably come with a larger range overhaul, because some of those sculpts are awful and the Beasts range still contains a lot of resin miniatures.

• Like 2

When thinking about the potential release schedule for 3rd edition, I think we need to remember something.

A lot of people are pointing out how soon Malerion is going to appear with his aelves, and it does look like Chaos Duardin will show up at some point. But I still think there's going to be a third major aelf faction appearing in 3rd. Tyrion! Think about it:

1) He shows up in the lore a lot, along with mention of his armies of disciples

2) We know there are four temples in Hysh and the Lumineth have two of them. The other two will be wrapped around Tyrion.

3) One of the recent posts on Warhammer Community talked about an image of Kragnos fighting two dragons, one dark and one light. Some people might think this is the two dragons just revealed for the SCE but I think this is a false lead. I think the whole story arc of 3rd is going to involve Malerion and Tyrion (dark and light dragon) emerging (along with their factions) to meet the threat of Kragnos etc. and eventually be forced to unite in order to defeat him.

If you therefore assume 3rd edition needs a major Tyrion release and a major Malerion release, I think something like a full refresh of BoC is something that GW will struggle to fit in. I'd think it more likely that BoC ends up being souped into STD if I'm honest.

• Confused 3

The elves for AoS are getting as much attention as Chaos (4 separate gods armies). The key is that each elf army is very different functionally and visually. Marines all share the very same core design styles and even the same core models. They then adapt with a few unique options per chapter and some unique heroes. 

Daughters of Khaine are visually, functionally and model range wise totally different to Lumineth and both are totally separate to Idoneth etc..... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

If you therefore assume 3rd edition needs a major Tyrion release and a major Malerion release, I think something like a full refresh of BoC is something that GW will struggle to fit in. I'd think it more likely that BoC ends up being souped into STD if I'm honest.

These are the new AoS 2 armies:

• Nighthaunt
  • Ossiarch Bonereapers
  • Lumineth (two waves)
  • Slaanesh Mortals (two waves)
  • Sons of Behemat (on technicality)

And these are the armies that got major range refreshes in AoS 2:

• Gloomspite Gitz
  • Soulblight Gravelords

There were also a few factions that got minor updates, like Daughters of Khaine and most factions got at least a model here or there. I also left out Stormcast because they always get stuff.

---

What are we expecting for new factions in AoS 3?

• Kruleboyz (which we already have)
  • Dawnbringer Crusades
  • Dwarf Soup
  • Umbraneth
  • Tyrionic Lumineth
  • Chaos Duardin
  • Kurnothi
  • Probably another Destruction faction we don't know anything about yet (Silent People? Grotbag Scuttlers?)

What model ranges need a refresh?

• Beasts of Chaos
  • Skaven
  • Seraphon

What ranges could use an expansion?

• OBR
  • Flesh Eater Courts
  • Idoneth
  • Kharadron/Fyreslayers/Dispossessed (covered by Dwarf Soup)

---

If we get around 8 big model waves to distribute between new releases and refreshes, there is definitely room in there for Beasts and Skaven to get updates. I personally think they need it more than Seraphon. The question is what shape other expansions and new armies will take. I don't think we will see as many completely new armies in this edition. Rather, the trend seems to be moving towards expanding existing armies. Tyron Lumineth, for example, will definitely be an expansion to the existing Lumineth we already have and might be a comparatively small release since Lumineth are already a big range. Kurnothi would likely be a Sylvaneth expansion. Dawnbringers and Dwarf Soup could potentially be large or small releases, it's hard to tell.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Don't forget Slaves to Darkness who got 15 new kits thanks to warcry including a whole new start collecting box so 17 kits if you count those units individually. 

Khorne got 5 kits, DoK got 4 kits and a bunch of stuff got one or two. 

I think we could see gloomspite style expansions for Skaven, Cities/Dawnbreaker, Seraphon, FEC, Mawtribes and Duardin.

All new armies could be Umbraneth, Chaos Duardin and something new for destruction. 

That would give us about the same number of releases as 2nd edition. 

Then we will get a bunch of minor updates as well. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chikout said:

Don't forget Slaves to Darkness who got 15 new kits thanks to warcry including a whole new start collecting box so 17 kits if you count those units individually. 

Khorne got 5 kits, DoK got 4 kits and a bunch of stuff got one or two. 

I think we could see gloomspite style expansions for Skaven, Cities/Dawnbreaker, Seraphon, FEC, Mawtribes and Duardin.

All new armies could be Umbraneth, Chaos Duardin and something new for destruction. 

That would give us about the same number of releases as 2nd edition. 

Then we will get a bunch of minor updates as well. 

I only wanted to to hit the major beats, but you are right, of course. I fully expect expansions to all kinds of armies through "side game" content like Warcry, Underworlds and Warhammer Quest over the life span of AoS 3.

Here is a speculative relese schedule I could see happening:

First, I assume that we will stick to one realm per GHB for AoS 3. First year is in Ghur, and I am going to speculate that we will go to Ulgu next, then Azyr.

Year 1 - Azyr:

Kruleboyz/Stormcast are already out and have set the stage.

Dwarf Soup: Already fairly well substantiated by rumours, and it will probably come with new Dispossessed in some form. Might actually be a more minor release in terms of new models, sorry Dwarf bros :(

Dawnbringer Crusades: If I had to guess, they will be a refresh of the worst Freeguild kits and some new Order of Azyr and Ironweld Arsenal (Steam Tank) stuff. Perhaps Dwarf Soup and Dawnbringers are a joint release (somehow) because of the overlap between the two in the Ironweld Arsenal

Kurnothi: As an expansion of Sylvaneth. Unsure how big this release can be because...

Beasts of Chaos: ...also should really go into the Ghur year. Range refresh if I'm right.

I think having Dawnbringers, Kurnothi and Dispossessed in year 1 makes sense, since they rae all Cities of Sigmar related.

Year 2 - Ulgu:

Umbraneth: Malerion's elves are the perfect army to open up the Ulgu year. Could be merged with Daughters, Orruk Warclans style. Could be their own thing. They will be fighting...

Tyrionic Lumineth: Fighting Malerion is presumably the important thing Tyrion is doing that has been foreshadowed in Broken Realms.

Skaven: Skaven have a strong presence in Ulgu so they go here.

Year 3 - Azyr:

War finally reaches the heavens. In this year, I expect Chaos activity to ramp up to lead into the next edition similarly to how Destruction got more play in Broken Realms.

Chaos Duardin: We finally get Chorfs now. They can play a role in the siege of Azyr with their war machines.

Years 2 and 3 have room for expansions and new army releases that are not covered anywhere else. All the Destruction factions will probably get something cool at some point. Same with FEC, OBR or Idoneth. However, I could also imagine all of those factions not to get any substantial amount of attention this edition.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Here is a speculative relese schedule I could see happening:

I wouldn't be shocked if we saw multi-part Chaos Warriors/Knights at some point either, presumably sooner rather than later. I don't imagine GW is too thrilled about having a Start Collecting(!) with modern sculpts that're used in every promotional, whilst Lil Timmy might get disheartened when he sees the normal box is from 2004. I think there's still some unresolved Chaosy Rumour Engines right?

Whether those multi-parts come as part of a bigger range refresh/update of things like Marauders, well, we'll see.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

I for one want GW to chill with the new armies and factions. Focus on what already exists in the game and continues to suffer to negligence and malpractice of handling most armies  from first edition  to now. Sure they are  teased a ton but GW has done this  thing before much like most  other  world  building with various factions in conflict, not all of them  need  to be fleshed out right away, especially not when both of their big games are not doing  so hot right now. 

• Like 3

We don't need another Lumineth subfaction when we already have 2 temples left...

Also tyrionic lumineth are not "a separate civilization" (like middenheim was not different culturally and militarly speaking from other imperial cities save for the ulfric cult,but many provinces and cities got some specialties),i could see some "specific religious units"(tyrionic warpriest or something like that)but i'd say is more probable just Tyrion (if it will be done...imho does'nt make sense giving another big centerpiece model and another god to an army that pretty much got so much).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

You people who hate aelves need to get on board with this. It has all been telegraphed  in the fluff for years. There’s going to be another Lumineth wave. There’s going to be at least one malerion release. There will probably be kurnothi. We may well see another Idoneth release.

The sooner you learn to be at peace with it the better. Nothing worse than seeing people moan about aelves each time they get something else when it’s been clear for so long that, yes, there’s more coming.

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1