The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Tiberius501 said:

Let’s change the topic back to rumours and news! Politics do not belong in news and rumours.

Are we assuming this big beasty they talked about showing off tomorrow in the article is going to be Kruleboyz? Or are they showing something for another faction?

I'm hoping for monsters for all grand alliances and even some neutral ones!!

Are generic monsters roaming around the table going to be the new endless spells!?!? A box set of five neutral monsters to add mayhem to your games? Or even better one for each realm!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

24 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

"With the procession led by columns of Stormcast Eternals, Fyreslayers, and Daughters of Khaine," so it's gonna be more than only Stormcast with COS :)

Love seeing more Fyreslayer representation that isn't just about them be gold obsessed mercenaries. 

I would of thought they would of went with KO since they are in that key art piece and I see them being more invaluable for the crusades that they are describing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

My problem with this argument is: just because you didn't see it back then, does not at all mean the same critiques did not exist. GW had a lot of terrible models way back when: pygmies probably being the most egregious. Hobgoblins have been posted here as well. Our modern internet is a global, instantaneous telecommunications platform; these critiques are now much more easily accessible and viewable in ways they never were before. That is what happened, not "common sense going out the window."

You are now more likely to see a diverse range of opinions, including long-standing critiques of media. People have always been critically analyzing the media we enjoy. To me, it's a sign of respect to the creators--you don't spend time critiquing media you have not invested energy in.

When those critiques and opinions are not common sense anymore it kinda flies outta the window though, agreed? ;) I'm not arguing against problematic minis or lore, I'm arguing against taking offense to a PLOT POINT (a setup for the story in the next edition) because in REAL LIFE it wasn't cool. Especially when very similar thoughts are already in 40k en masse. It's fiction, it's sole purpose is to entertain you. If we went down that road, you wouldn't have a LOTR and thus no real fantasy genre. sauron wasn't a nice dude either.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Love seeing more Fyreslayer representation that isn't just about them be gold obsessed mercenaries. 

I would of thought they would of went with KO since they are in that key art piece and I see them being more invaluable for the crusades that they are describing. 

I would be shocked if the Fyreslayers are part of the Dawnbringer Crusades for any reason besides sating their gold lust

• Like 2

None of you are going to convince the other of your way of thinking because your viewpoints are coming from fundamentally different places.

You'll never be able to convince them that political themes in fiction need to be handled with care because they don't think that fiction has any bearing on the real world.

You'll never be able to convince them that themes in fiction don't matter because they believe that fiction has an effect on the world its brought into.

You are not going to come out of this "discussion" with any kind of progress or meaning.

You are wasting your time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KriticalKhan said:

None of you are going to convince the other of your way of thinking because your viewpoints are coming from fundamentally different places.

You'll never be able to convince them that political themes in fiction need to be handled with care because they don't think that fiction has any bearing on the real world.

You'll never be able to convince them that themes in fiction don't matter because they believe that fiction has an effect on the world its brought into.

You are not going to come out of this "discussion" with any kind of progress or meaning.

You are wasting your time.

When arguing with people who you think won't change their mind in a public way, it's not primarily for the benefit of those people, but for undecided third parties who have not yet formed an entrenched opinion on the subject. There is still value in this.

• Like 13

Orwell wrote in 1946 discussing the 'four motives' - what he sees as the reasons behind why writers and artists create work.

The fourth of these is 'political purpose' - As something is written in the context of a wider sociopolitical context and by an individuals, whom engage within that context, then we must assume that all art is political. As the audience, we are engaging with art within our own sociopolitical and personal political context. 

Arguing that 'well we didn't previously view x in this context' is incredibly bad faith. 

If you disagree with someone's opinion on whether AOS is or is not glorifying crusades, then offer a counterpoint rather than the dogwhistle of 'keep the politics out of my writing/art'.

And it is a dogwhistle - look no further than half of the alt-lite content on YouTube for the same 'politic bad' when the opinion isn't one socioconservative. 

Look no further than Football in the UK - where individuals would frame protests against racism as 'evil cultural marxists making everything political no my *game with a long documented history of factionalism, nationalism and bigotry (of which certain fans' infamous violence in the 1980s would inspire the best 40k faction)* shouldnt be political!'

Or even in this hobby - the certain YouTuber whose name is a shape who argued the same thing to 'keep politics out of the hobby' following Games Workshop's statement last year following the death of George Floyd and the BLM movements resurgence.

This happened after he was publically challenged for extremely derogatory comments and for his public antisemtism, racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia.

It was not because 'my game isn't political' - just 'challenging my view is wrong'. 

I'm not saying that having the opinion that not wanting to talk about the imports and exports of particular cities of sigmar and how that might affect the particular economies of certain realms isn't a completely valid opinion to have. If you do enjoy discussing fictional economies, then that is also valid too.

But be VERY aware whether people using the 'no political talk about *piece of art*' are doing so because they simply find it dull, or because they like to think it supports their own bias.

As the latter tend to have politics that I would hope the majority of people would find detestable.

Thank you for coming to this TED talk.

-

Now away from people appearing out of the woodwork to make the same dogwhistles the second anyone thinks GW may be accidentally helping foster the uncomfortable elements of the community who have increasingly uncomfortable opinions,

I'm hoping our monsters tomorrow are some more of those Troggoths - and they are usable in Gitz.

Edited by Dreddships
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 9

23 minutes ago, CDM said:

I'm hoping for monsters for all grand alliances and even some neutral ones!!

Are generic monsters roaming around the table going to be the new endless spells!?!? A box set of five neutral monsters to add mayhem to your games? Or even better one for each realm!

This is what I really want. Some generic awesome monster models!!

• LOVE IT! 1

Analysing texts for politics is obviously fine. AoS's sibling is more up front with that stuff, but that's because it deals with more reflections of 'modernity' than a setting riffing on medieval fantasy. 

I get why people have questioned the term 'crusade'. The term is arguably appropriate for how they seem to be using it in AoS, it's just 'crusade' has been misapplied onto real life conflicts which have zero actual link with the history the term describes (conflicts such as those which have their 20 year anniversary this year) so that's where that conversation arises. 

I saw some people talking about Sigmarite colonialism. It's a valid but separate conversation, colonialism being a more modern concept than that of crusades. Sigmarite cities kind of straddle different modes of production (I guess it was ever thus), because GW wants to create a fun sandbox setting. No complaints there. 

Anyway for more info on this topic check out a cool battletome GW produced! 

image.png.599a04d1c1f77b1df9ee38db068354d3.png

Very cool book, lore everyone should know! 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I mean, choosing to write a piece of fiction where the good guys do something that is fairly universally agreed to be unethical in the real world, but it's good in the fantasy world is not exactly a value neutral thing to do. It's not like the writers had no choice in the matter. On the contrary, writers are usually very careful about the message they want their works to convey. At least I think it would be insulting to pretend that the writers are just bumbling idiots who have no idea about the real world context of what they are putting to paper and the message it implicitly conveys.

Yeah, but it is kinda hard to have a war game without war.  I mean suppose we can have games where each players' army shows up to arrange peace, but I kinda just want to, "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."  Not worry about the ethics and morality of never ending war.

Oh, you meant the colonization stuff. Yeah, I think that is almost as bad as never ending war.

Just now, JustAsPlanned said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/09/mcfarlane-toys-return-with-5-new-warhammer-40000-action-figures/

More 40k action figures. One day, friends. One day we will be rewarded for our patience... with a single Liberator figure

I am very excited for the day that AoS becomes as big as 40k - mostly because I'd love to see more AoS external media.

It wouldn't happen for a very long time, but I'd love for an AoS rpg videogame. Getting to choose your faction beginnings like Dragon Age, or even just roaming around part of the realm like Skyrim

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

This is what I really want. Some generic awesome monster models!!

Out of interest for our Kaiju loving expert what monsters are you hoping for? I feel like a lot of mythical/monstrous creatures are now iconically linked to specific subfactions like Hydras, Giants, Dinosaurs and Sea Monsters.

I already posted about my embarrassing love of Unicorns, but I feel like a number of the fantasy monsters are currently tied to specific factions already. Dragons and their draconic kin are clearly at the top of most lists. I have a suspicion that the Chimera is moving away from Beasts of Chaos and more towards just a generic monster. I feel like non-chaotic versions of certain creatures would be awesome like the Sphiranx and Fomoroid. An AOS equivalent to Baba Yaga's house has been tossed around before and would be awesome. Fimir might work better in this role than as a standalone army or expansion to any destruction force. I do not think that a Sphinx is currently represented in AOS but I could be forgetting something. I could also see Rakshasa or Oni like creatures that could split the difference size wise between ogres and gargants. Various God Beasts would all be fairly cool although their potential scale might make this difficult. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 6:43 PM, KingBrodd said:

It's my fault for staying here but mate. You just spoilt it for me. Use spoiler tags next time.

As soon as I heard a spoiler went up I have avoided TGA until I could read BR - had to stay off here for two weeks! Would have been gutted if I'd had BR Kragnos spoiled so really hope you managed to enjoy it anyway!

That mention about the crusades being lead by Daughters and Fyreslayers gives me doubt they'll end up in cities soup.

And it puzzles me even more than seeing them souped with other D.Elves of Malerion and Kharadron...

It would be utterly strange and worse than i thought imho...:p

Still interesting the part on the floating cities, while Kharadron does not seems mentioned while they are in the artwork (makes sense them wanting to pour money on the effort though as the opportunities and profits will increase).

I hope the monster they are teasing is for Kruleboyz because another troggoth unit could be great,still a preview for another army could be even more thrilling.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

4 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

As soon as I heard a spoiler went up I have avoided TGA until I could read BR - had to stay off here for two weeks! Would have been gutted if I'd had BR Kragnos spoiled so really hope you managed to enjoy it anyway!

by posting this i've just realised I have 87 pages of these genius insights/guff to catch up on 😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

That mention about the crusasades being lead by Daughters and Fyreslayers gives me doubt they'll end up in cities soup.

And it puzzles me even more than seeing them souped with other D.Elves of Malerion and Kharadron...

I hope the monster they are teasing is for Kruleboyz because another troggoth unit could be great,still a preview for another army could be even more thrilling.

I still hope for a shadowy beast from Ulgu to add to my daughters 

• LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Out of interest for our Kaiju loving expert what monsters are you hoping for? I feel like a lot of mythical/monstrous creatures are now iconically linked to specific subfactions like Hydras, Giants, Dinosaurs and Sea Monsters.

I already posted about my embarrassing love of Unicorns, but I feel like a number of the fantasy monsters are currently tied to specific factions already. Dragons and their draconic kin are clearly at the top of most lists. I have a suspicion that the Chimera is moving away from Beasts of Chaos and more towards just a generic monster. I feel like non-chaotic versions of certain creatures would be awesome like the Sphiranx and Fomoroid. An AOS equivalent to Baba Yaga's house has been tossed around before and would be awesome. Fimir might work better in this role than as a standalone army or expansion to any destruction force. I do not think that a Sphinx is currently represented in AOS but I could be forgetting something. I could also see Rakshasa or Oni like creatures that could split the difference size wise between ogres and gargants. Various God Beasts would all be fairly cool although their potential scale might make this difficult. 

I'm hoping for something very Grimdark and AOS!! Something we havent seen before that would be at home in Ghur, maybe a cross between a Croc and a Hippo or something!! Anything that is clearly a monster and wouldnt be confused for a Daemon.

9 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I did mate!! Of the 4 books I'd put it just behind Belakor but damn was the Destruction side of things amazing!! The Sons put in work!!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

@NeverchosenTo be honest some mammalian huge beasts could be really interesting...bulls,rhinos,elephants,giant elks and so on.

Maybe is my itch for the return of lammasuses and Chaos dwarves tauruses.

Still, as i already mentioned, neutral wandering monsters mechanics like endless spells could be great to explore the realms fauna and monsters.

Fw made the winds incarnates spirits so some monsters with the infused elements of the winds of magic could still be great (lava rhinos of Aqshy,quicksilver mesmerising drakes from chamon and so on).

@KingBroddKruleboyz definitively needs more Frogs and Crocs monsters...

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2