The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, Damosane said:

I have been so So hype for chaos dwarves for so long but I have to point out grimdark live had a ' source ' tell them chaos dwarves were coming soon a year ago and it didn't happen! Hopefully they are on a roll after the Dominion leak 

It's always possible COVID moved the schedule around, there's so much going on rn that to me prove that - from the clear rushed ending of BR, the cutting of BR: Alarielle and merging it with Kragnos, even last year we could see delays happening. It might have been that whoever the source, that they were correct but that schedules changed. If the army wasn't fully complete and the narrative had a spot for Soulblight (and then Kruleboys for 3.0) GW could just have put Chorfs on the shelf for a while. They'll come - have faith in Hashut's designs, little one.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fuxxx said:

Yeah it's basically what I meant, if they were literally the same it would make sense but I always felt the libs a bit underwhelming.

I fully agree, I think the marks as a distinguishing factor for chaos is a cool way to differentiate the warscrolls, but in return there is little to make the Liberators feel special. This is especially a shame as they are the infantry of the 'warrior chamber'? I think they should at least hit harder than Sequitors, Vanguard or Vindictors. Also despite defending Chaos Warriors sharing a profile the different base sizes make Liberators objectively less useful in most situations.

27 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Bring back Ogor Dominance!!

How can you bring back what never left 😎

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jator said:

I'm a big fans of the big hats from 4th edition, but after seeing how the kruleboyz take clues from the very early editions of Fantasy, I wonder if new chorfs won't be referencing their first miniatures.
1505269286_ChaosDwarfsbox2.JPG.4ff7bcf455a4a744ac346cf49e7e84d4.JPG

Now, won't be fun if these darkmasters have nothing to do with chaos dwarfs, and GW is just teasing us like with that bull-shaped endless spell?
After all, a world has beed destroyed and eons have pased since the hobgoblins served the dawi zharr, I don't see why they'd be eager to get back to that dynamic.
Unless of course, these hobgrots are the darkmaster's creation...

I remember staring at that box many times when I'd be allowed to go into the GW store while shopping, but was never able to get it.  I did get the metal Lord of the Rings box of the same size because my dad was a Tolkien fan.  But I always wanted those chaos dwarves.  It was the two-headed one that did it.

19 hours ago, FFJump said:

Yeah, Furnace Kings is the name thrown around in some of the lore. StD calls them the Furnace Kings of Azgorh. In the Warcry novel and Eight Lamentations they're also called just Furnace Kings. The Bonereapers battletome calls them "infernal duardin", the Fyreslayer's White Dwarf article, the Sons of Behemat battletome, and the Chaos novel where they appear in the camp (I forgot the name of the book) just calls them Chaos-worshipping duardin.

This guy chorfs.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

Out of curiosity, which Battletomes do you think will get updated first, after the two launch armies? 

Nighthaunt and a either Nurgle or Khorne.  I'm guessing Khorne because I like to think Nurgle will come out alongside Sylvaneth to keep that storyline progressing.  On the other hand, Sylvaneth was just last year, so they might wait on that.  But I feel pretty confident on Nighthaunt!

3 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

Stormcast are a human faction... many, many Stormhosts retain their human empathy and morality. The ones who don't may have lost it over dozens of reforgings, or may not have been a shining example of morality when they were mortal. Stormcast have platonic and romantic relationships, both with each other and mortals. There's even stories where if they had kids before they were reforged, the Stormcast will take leave to visit their kids.

Just because they are the Fantasy Poster-faction, does not mean they are equivalent to Space Marines beyond that. GW did a really good thing making Stormcast into immortal humans that fight endlessly to defend mortal humans.

Stormcast are less human than vampires, they at least kept their body after their demise.

• Confused 3

53 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

It's always possible COVID moved the schedule around, there's so much going on rn that to me prove that - from the clear rushed ending of BR, the cutting of BR: Alarielle and merging it with Kragnos, even last year we could see delays happening. It might have been that whoever the source, that they were correct but that schedules changed. If the army wasn't fully complete and the narrative had a spot for Soulblight (and then Kruleboys for 3.0) GW could just have put Chorfs on the shelf for a while. They'll come - have faith in Hashut's designs, little one.

COVID did move the schedule around they said so last year, and they're still backlogged, they admitted as much. People noticed in the new CA for 40K there were points values for new stuff for Thousand Sons that wasn't out yet and then they said this in the article about it.

"Well, we’ve got a confession to make – the points values featured in the Munitorum Field Manual MkII for the Thousand Sons and Grey Knights are actually incorrect. That’s because their codexes were intended to be out at this point, complete with their fancy new rules and updated points values. Sadly, due to the fickle winds of fate (for which we can only presume Tzeentch is to blame), the release of these books has been delayed until a little later in the year. But the important thing is, the Thousand Sons and Grey Knights are indeed both getting a new codex in the coming months!"

So they're behind at least a few months still it seems. That implies though that Chorfs are "soon" soon. I was expecting like 2-3 years out, but maybe by sometime next year we'll start seeing potato cam pictures of pointy hats?

58 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Stormcast are less human than vampires, they at least kept their body after their demise.

Hamlet: What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving how express and admirable! In action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!

@zilberfrid Nah, it is just the form part... 😁

I think the relative humanity of Stormcast is a really fun ontological question, what about them is human and in each reforging what is lost. I think it is more than memories but also a certain level of autonomy. But this gives a strange reason to fight and move forward. There is something Sisyphean in their task but also unlike Camus' reading of the story it is a task that is highly alienating. I feel like the Stormcast that wishes to keep their humanity will struggle to fight and survive but one that has experienced enough reforging will have lost that desire. I think there is something fascinating in that notion and maybe a battle weary Stormcast hero may sacrifice them self to save a comrade in arms from losing more of themselves. But after a certain point would they still make that choice or simply work by Sigmar's will?

As for a Vampire what they sacrifice is not their bodily humanity but their 'soul'. A Stormcast may not remember who they were but retain a sense of morality or personality, whereas a Vampire has given into hunger. A vampire becomes something other than their true self, losing what we might colloquially refer to as their 'humanity'. Maybe instead of humanity we could define this in terms of soul or personhood?

Tying this back to rumours, I saw the suggestion that the new Stormcast units were not a new chamber but from existing ones. This checks out for the units we have seen before, but do we have any information on which chamber the new models will belong to? I am less up to date on lore as many of you here and I am particularly ignorant of the various Chambers and Stormhosts so I apologize if it is super obvious. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

17 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Tying this back to rumours, I saw the suggestion that the new Stormcast units were not a new chamber but from existing ones. This checks out for the units we have seen before, but do we have any information on which chamber the new models will belong to? I am less up to date on lore as many of you here and I am particularly ignorant of the various Chambers and Stormhosts so I apologize if it is super obvious. 

Current Stormcast Chambers are Warrior, Extremis, Vanguard, and Sacrosanct, with the Angelos and Justicar mini-chambers often rolled into Warrior.

Vindictors and Annihilators are definitely Warrior. The Knight-Incantor is Sacrosanct, and the Chariot was referred to as part of Angelos in the stream. The Knight-Judicator will probably be Justicar, as that's what Judicators are.

It we get Drake's, they'll likely fit into Extremis, and that really just leaves Vanguard chamber without any confirmed units, though the Lord-Imperitant has furs that match their aesthetic, so maybe him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

You always make me wonder if you're really a follower of the true gods... 👺

I am a fan of all species as they are just waiting to hear the beckoning of their true Gods, and don't forget that we have the best ogres:

ep7f28ec4a29.png 

Plus my Chaos Warriors need to test their mettle against something and I like to test my Paint Brush on various things. I am hoping to eventually have an army per grand alliance (StD will always be my bread and butter) but as my best friend is a dedicated Death player I may skip it. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Current Stormcast Chambers are Warrior, Extremis, Vanguard, and Sacrosanct, with the Angelos and Justicar mini-chambers often rolled into Warrior.

Vindictors and Annihilators are definitely Warrior. The Knight-Incantor is Sacrosanct, and the Chariot was referred to as part of Angelos in the stream. The Knight-Judicator will probably be Justicar, as that's what Judicators are.

It we get Drake's, they'll likely fit into Extremis, and that really just leaves Vanguard chamber without any confirmed units, though the Lord-Imperitant has furs that match their aesthetic, so maybe him.

Thanks for this - really cool current chambers are getting a boost

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Minor note, but the Angelos and Justicar aren't mini-chambers; they're Conclaves, a separate organizational designation.

Conclaves are essentially a term designation a unit's role on the battlefield and exist somewhat outside of the Chamber structure, which is why Liberators and Sequitors are both in the Redeemer Conclaves despite being in completely separate Chambers.

This is  unrelated to what you said, but since it seems to come up pretty often: Chambers are not synonymous or comparable to Space Marine Chapters. The closest equivalent would be Stormhosts (which can have multiple Chambers of the same type) but they're more akin to Space Marine Legions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, KriticalKhan said:

Conclaves are essentially a term designation a unit's role on the battlefield and exist somewhat outside of the Chamber structure, which is why Liberators and Sequitors are both in the Redeemer Conclaves despite being in completely separate Chambers.

Thank you! I'm sure I knew that once upon a time, but honestly it's been a hot minute since I was excited enough about my SCE to read through the tome again. 

That in mind, the chariot could conceivably be Vanguard Chamber. The storm axe and presence of Gryph-Chargers both lend that some credence.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

Minor note, but the Angelos and Justicar aren't mini-chambers; they're Conclaves, a separate organizational designation.

This is  unrelated to what you said, but since it seems to come up pretty often: Chambers are not synonymous or comparable to Space Marine Chapters. The closest equivalent would be Stormhosts (which can have multiple Chambers of the same type) but they're more akin to Space Marine Legions.

34 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

550096-youtube_0.jpg

Thank you both for the information, I personally find Stormcast to have a strangely opaque hierarchy and structure that make them a difficult army to theme around. Luckily they also seem like a Slaves to Darkness level army in terms of allowing for a mixture of themes and options. Hopefully @MitGaswill forgive me if I build them all with chaos helmets and purposely make it a suboptimal faction to battle and lose against my Slaves to Darkness*. 😅 

*In reality I want them as the fit the narrative I developed for my army as former Sigmar Loyalists who converted to chaos. My Stormcast will be the ones who remained faithful and fell to their Chaotic cohorts. 

Edited by Neverchosen

1 hour ago, FFJump said:

So they're behind at least a few months still it seems. That implies though that Chorfs are "soon" soon. I was expecting like 2-3 years out, but maybe by sometime next year we'll start seeing potato cam pictures of pointy hats?

See, this is exactly what I am expecting (as much as I'd want Chorfs for the holidays!). Leaks next year, maybe get them in January 2023 after a year of leaks and 'leaks' by James Workshop's marketing department, kinda how we all 'knew' of Sons of Behemat long before they were announced. I'm betting on Malerion by Xmas, no matter what he's probably coming out before we see any duardin - be it the right, bull-worshipping kind or the more...eww...orderly kind (I kid I kid, ALL duardin are loved!).

• LOVE IT! 3

4 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

There are elements of the SCE I am less enthused about, like I wish they had more races represented in their ranks. I do think that just making them bigger than humans is less interesting ways of showcasing their ascendent nature and wish they had angelic wings or some other shared characteristics. Finally the lightening teleportation thing feels like a game mechanic that was given a lore excuse. 

I would also love this! Though I suppose narratively, the other gods would not appreciate Sigmar taking their peoples' heroes? But... duardin-cast seem extremely possible since Grungni and his smiths helped make the Reforging Process. Feels like if Big G was going to call in a favor, making his own immortal dwarves would be at the top.

It'd be a cool tie-in to how multiracial Cities of Sigmar is--and further than that, I'm really hoping any proper AOS units for Cities will be an amalgamation of ALL the Order races: duardin, high/dark/wood elves, and humans (possibly more).

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jator said:

I'm a big fans of the big hats from 4th edition, but after seeing how the kruleboyz take clues from the very early editions of Fantasy, I wonder if new chorfs won't be referencing their first miniatures.
1505269286_ChaosDwarfsbox2.JPG.4ff7bcf455a4a744ac346cf49e7e84d4.JPG

Or these guys. I still have 6 blister packs of them, made from good old lead. I miss those days.

If the Chaos Dwarfs ever return, that will be my sign that it's time to open the packs and paint them.

Now, can we please have Tomb Kings (or Undying Legions of Eternal Eternity or whatever silly rebranding they want to apply) back?

marcatv1p004-01.jpg