The Rumour Thread

43 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I think that Storm of Chaos had rules for the Hellcanon too.

Yeah, the Hellcannon is in Storm of Chaos, but note that that was a Warriors of Chaos unit, which happened to be crewed by Chaos Dwarves. They didn't have their own army at that time, though they were arguably still playable due to backwards compatible rules.

A lot of discontinued armies are still playable though, if not competitive.

I keep trying to persuade my friend who has Bretonians to try out AoS, since I really want to play my Tomb Kings again, and it would be the perfect match up to do so!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I can’t wait till they release a Skaven gor😂

Duuuude they totally should do a Skaven Gor!! What's happens when Clan Moulder get their paws on a herd of Gor and try to breed them with their Stormvermin?! Horned Rats... we've come full circle.

11 hours ago, alghero81 said:

In WHFB was any army lost before the 8th edition lost? Not considering Kislev or Araby that never had real rules for the main game.

The Storm of Chaos themed army lists were largely dropped and pretty much none of the units made it into future army books, most notably the Teutogen Guard (some of the best sculpts GW ever did) Doom Seekers, Goblin Hewer and Flayerkin. Only the Hellcannon survived over into what would become Warriors of Chaos and Daemonic Legions eventually became Daemons of Chaos.

They were, admittedly, more like spin-offs of the existing Army Books than full, unique armies but they didn't lack for flavour and unique models.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Duuuude they totally should do a Skaven Gor!! What's happens when Clan Moulder get their paws on a herd of Gor and try to breed them with their Stormvermin?! Horned Rats... we've come full circle.

Ah Yes, the good old times, when you were able to field those clans moulder mutated enslaved race things.

17 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Can you not anymore? Im behind on Skaven I admit.

Only mutated rats. We even had once a named character that was actually a former human chaos warrior that was captured by Moulder and experimented upon.

Edited by michu

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

I mean, if AOS skaven can play with space and time, I can hardly believe their biocrafting ability has declined...

It didn't.  On the contrary, the reason we don't have non-rat mutants is we got too good at biocrafting and all our test subjects turn into rats immediately ;)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, alghero81 said:

I had a quick look, obviously I was not there since the beginning of WHFB, but excluding FW and WD (Kislev was only published there) then only Dogs of War was discontinued. While Bretonnia never received an army book since 6th, was still a “playable” army in 8th...

Some armies however got remodelling through the years. I think it’s safe to say that we have two types of discontinuation:

- the disband of entire armies like passing from WHFB to AoS, unlikely to happen again safe disasters, and extremely rare outside of those events

- the not in depth update of certain legacy armies, extremely possible but only once we move to a new edition. This does not make them unplayable, only really unbalanced

All in all seems an healthy place to me so far. I’m still convinced Legions will be eventually replaced by something else, I’m just curious to understand what that will be...

I think this is a really interesting and valid point. We often consider an army "squatted" only from a rules perspective. But for Games Workshop's point of view there is the additional consideration of which army to update in terms of models as opposed to rules. Brettonians were one of my favourite armies but they really were more or less abandoned even before the switch to AOS. :(

Furthermore, there are armies that sell well even when they are in need of updated models due to their sheer popularity but Games Workshop is less incentivized to update as they will continue to sell (Tyranids and Skaven come to my mind). 

23 hours ago, Athrawes said:

I've lost two of my first three games with LRL, 1st against Orruk Warclans, 2nd loss against Mawtribes. I guess I don't have half a brain.

How many times have you played against LrL, have you lost every time?

Actually i didn't lose any of my games against them.

But really is, it's only a handful of games and the guys forgot to use their rules because it was their 1st or 2nd game with them.

This is how i learned what LRL can really do, going through the rules after those games.

But there were also situation when i thought don't use this or this rule and i am toast, when they forgot to use it.

My point is that players will learn how to use them right and we will have a 2nd Tzeench like army out there who counters everything and forces their game on other players

25 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

Actually i didn't lose any of my games against them.

But really is, it's only a handful of games and the guys forgot to use their rules because it was their 1st or 2nd game with them.

This is how i learned what LRL can really do, going through the rules after those games.

But there were also situation when i thought don't use this or this rule and i am toast, when they forgot to use it.

My point is that players will learn how to use them right and we will have a 2nd Tzeench like army out there who counters everything and forces their game on other players

So from a handful of games which apparently you won, you can say definitively that an army is auto win.

Sounds right to me....

I hate when people say ****** like this, it means I never get to win a game playing this army.

If I do defeat my opponent, it's not because of my skill, but because some internet rando said my army was auto win, I didn't win, my army did.

If I loose to my opponent, not only have I lost a game, my opponent defeated what was supposed to be an auto win list, meaning I cant win with the deck stacked in my favor, I lose twice.

No matter the outcome of the game, I come out the looser.

The army isnt even released yet and already you have enough experience playing it to know definitively its OP, and ruining the game for others.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm done with this conversation, as this is the rumor thread, not a place to whine about whichever army you think is OP. Maybe try some empathy before posting like this again. 

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 23

59 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

If I do defeat my opponent, it's not because of my skill, but because some internet rando said my army was auto win, I didn't win, my army did.

If I loose to my opponent, not only have I lost a game, my opponent defeated what was supposed to be an auto win list, meaning I cant win with the deck stacked in my favor, I lose twice.

No matter the outcome of the game, I come out the looser.

If I take a good photo I "have a great camera"

If I take a bad photo "why can't you do better with that expensive camera" 

;) Models are not alone and sometimes we just have to take a step back; breath; and realise that opinions can be right and wrong and not to overly worry too much about them and sometimes just agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Athrawes said:

So from a handful of games which apparently you won, you can say definitively that an army is auto win.

Sounds right to me....

I hate when people say ****** like this, it means I never get to win a game playing this army

And I hate when people answer like that. Believe it or not: Sometimes it's rather obvious that an army is just nuts or botto mtier (LRL and S2D). The "just wait a few months until we can judge how strong they are" just does not hold up very well when the core mechanics of an army are obviously broken and dominate at least an entire phase.
So maybe you should re-read their rules and then think about if the person you underlyingly label as "unexperienced in LRL" actrually knows what he/she is talking about. LRL are nuts, they suffer a little against shooting armies (yet they hold up rather well as ymmetrica or wahtever it is called). LRL will be S-Tier.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

And I hate when people answer like that. Believe it or not: Sometimes it's rather obvious that an army is just nuts or botto mtier (LRL and S2D). The "just wait a few months until we can judge how strong they are" just does not hold up very well when the core mechanics of an army are obviously broken and dominate at least an entire phase.
So maybe you should re-read their rules and then think about if the person you underlyingly label as "unexperienced in LRL" actrually knows what he/she is talking about. LRL are nuts, they suffer a little against shooting armies (yet they hold up rather well as ymmetrica or wahtever it is called). LRL will be S-Tier.

Because someone is throwing around rumors about the LRL ... .

Looking at your comment about their artifacts just a few days ago (artifacts are OP, but we don’t know what their heroes do) - it looks like you hadn’t known anything much about their rules at that point though, and now you are already have become such an expert with better insight than someone who bought the Battletome, read it, and had actual experience playing with them? 

Which core mechanic of the army is obviously broken? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

From Dakka, the price for the next Pre-order

Alarith Stoneguard €45, £36.50, $60
Alarith Stonemage €32.50, £26.50, $40
Avalenor The Stoneheart King/ Arlaith €85, £65, $110
Dawnriders €50, £40, $65

Ariath/ Stoneking seems to be price about right but geez Stoneguards and Dawnrider are both more expensive then similar size unit of other armies

Edit: comparing prices, i am guess GW is valuing the stoneguards to  Adeptus Custodes troops as they are similar in prices and unit structure

Edited by novakai
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Dawnriders €50, £40, $65

Ariath/ Stoneking seems to be price about right but geez Stoneguards and Dawnrider are both more expensive then similar size unit of other armies

Edit: comparing prices, i am guess GW is valuing the stoneguards to  Adeptus Custodes troops as they are similar in prices and unit structure

If Stoneguard are $60 for 5 models that's outrageous. I had been planning on buying an entirely new-in-box army for the first time in ages with this release, but at those prices I'll be waiting on secondhand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, novakai said:

Dawnriders €50, £40, $65

Honestly thought the Stoneheart King would be more expensive.

The price to points ratio in battlelines seems to become a bit of a problem in some armies. I mean, I get 6 Ogor Gluttons for 26-29 € in my favorite online shops. That’s 240 points and two minimum size battlelines of useful fat. Would I pay double the amount for the same number of battleline/points? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe I’d deliberately try to go for minimal battlelines. But it doesn’t make the decision to start another army easier.

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

it looks like you hadn’t known anything much about their rules at that point though

1. By not knowing what their Mages do means not knowing anything about the rules - aha.

2. Guess who got a copy of the book too and is able to read? Correct Sir, me. I am not sure if you understand how this game works, Sir, if you did not have to raise your eyebrow conscantly while reading it.

3. The combat activation AB, Teclis against armies with little shooting. Almost the entire Lore of magic which hinders your opponents movement (in a game in which movement is king). The Cathaller ability. And that is just to name a few.

;)

Edited by JackStreicher

6 hours ago, novakai said:

Dawnriders €50, £40, $65

The troops seem far too expensive. Unless you get 10 of each, I can see many people being put off by these prices.

If we compare them to OBR (the most recent totally new release):

5 Deathriders (which are bigger) = £35 compared to £40

3 Necropolis Stalkers (the closest match to elite troops) = £30 compared to £36.50

20 Mortek Guard (which are individually smaller) = £35 compared to £36.50 for the wardens and sentinels 

Ossiarch is also an elite army.

This isn't so much complaining as it is confusion; I can't understand why they'd price models this high. I can imagine the prices will put people off - especially for the cow aelves, who already have some unpopular design choices. 

Do they not expect to sell much, and want to make as much back as possible? The limited edition box didn't sell out, so maybe that's the case, but we just don't know.

• Like 7