The Rumour Thread

Not necessarily. "Pointy Aelves" is a bigger newer release so it stands to reason that the marketing for it starts far sooner than for other releases. Just like how Sisters of Battle and Ossiarchs were started before other releases. It's very easy for GW to put a Seraphon release into February or even March before Pointy Aelves. The only reason they'd not is if there was some kind of problem or the release is far bigger and thus better to spread it out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Overread said:

Not necessarily. "Pointy Aelves" is a bigger newer release so it stands to reason that the marketing for it starts far sooner than for other releases. Just like how Sisters of Battle and Ossiarchs were started before other releases. It's very easy for GW to put a Seraphon release into February or even March before Pointy Aelves. The only reason they'd not is if there was some kind of problem or the release is far bigger and thus better to spread it out. 

Eh, not really. Ossiarch first teaser was done alongside confirmation of CoS, Orruk Warclans, and the teaser for Feast of Bones.

They got the lion share of marketing attention after that, but GW squeezed out the other announcements first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop a Seraphon release (new book, spells and terrain piece) between now and March. 

Me neither. GW put a lot of effort last year to consolidate and provide all armies with a 2.0 battle tome. It would surprise me if they wait many months now with releasing the last one.

The announcement of the Pointy Aelves is bad news for people who hoped for a major update for Seraphon I guess. I more or less expected that the last army in the row had the best chance of being a big release, but with a full army release for Pointy Aelves on the horizon I don't think there is much chance it will happen. Endless spells, terrain and who knows one or few new heroes is probably all they get. Not that they need much, they still look pretty solid to me, but replacement of some of the finecast would be nice of course. 

Interesting what the year will bring for AOS, apart from the Aelves. Last year it was more predictable as GW was clearly focusing on updating the Tomes having, but now we can expect anything.  Personally I hope they won't release to many other new armies in the next few years, but rather have smaller, but regular updates (i.e. Slaanesh size) for existing armies, or flesh out some of the sub-factions already in a book. Also putting some effort in the rule details, balancing the game a bit more. Problem with more armies, I think,  is that it will be harder to maintain. With more armies it might be harder to give all armies all the love and attention they need, and to balance the game in general. By the time AOS 3.0 is released, GW could face a problem when having to update like 18 Battle Tomes also. On the other hand I can imagine that it is in GW interest to release new armies every now and then. The hype and excitement keeps people interested, and having them buying full armies at once. That's basically how I got back to the hobby when Night Haunt was launched. I guess they will earn more money with new armies than with updating some existing,  than with smaller updates, but that is an assumption.

There are of course these hints about something big coming. I cannot imagine that there isn't more meaning about this "some may say Giant" phrase then just it is a big release. Wouldn't be surprised that the "biggest announcement ever" for Adepticon (or was it biggest announcement?) is also hinting for the same. They seem to have a thing with size at the moment (which we all know doesn't matter off course). A Giant faction seems to make sense. I can also think of many model varieties there. But not sure how you that would work out  rule wise. Would be an army with not to many models, and how will prevent them to be too redundant. And it sound like it can be expensive too. Whatever it is, I hope they won't replace the existing Gargant, I still like that one. If I remember correctly it was one of the first, of not the first, plastic model that gave us so many different built options.

Anyway lots to look forward too. The Aelves is already enough reason for me to be happy

Edited by Lowki

Ehhh... People were saying the exact same thing about the Slaves to Darkness book - or lack thereof - when Ossiarchs were announced.

"A whole new army announcement? Orruk and Cities of Sigmar Battltomes but no StD reveal? This is it, they're NEVER getting a Battletome ever! It's over for us bros!"

Low and behold...

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

28 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Ehhh... People were saying the exact same thing about the Slaves to Darkness book - or lack thereof - when Ossiarchs were announced.

"A whole new army announcement? Orruk and Cities of Sigmar Battltomes but no StD reveal? This is it, they're NEVER getting a Battletome ever! It's over for us bros!"

Low and behold...

Who's saying Seraphon won't get a book? I'm just saying they won't be out before Pointy Aelves, and I stand by that.

• Like 2

If they just updated the saurus and kroxigor models, that'd be enough for me even if it meant dropping the hunting packs completely.  Basically the Slaves to Darkness treatment.  I don't think  would be too much to ask, but with the pointy Aelves release,  i'd have to guess it's just going to be a book and an endless spell set.

• Like 1

Current rumor engines are pointing at elves and some kind of new Destruction force. It really comes down to "Seraphon get a small update in the next couple months" or "Seraphon get a major update year from now". Unless we get the worst of both worlds.

I'd personally rather they just dump a book on us soon. It would at least set expectations for what the force will be going forward. I don't like the uncertainty of another CoS culling.

10 minutes ago, Blightzkrieg said:

Current rumor engines are pointing at elves and some kind of new Destruction force. It really comes down to "Seraphon get a small update in the next couple months" or "Seraphon get a major update year from now". Unless we get the worst of both worlds  

Didn’t last year bring gloomspite guts, (massive update) and in the same year ossiarch bone reapers.  And I’d consider Slaanesh a major update as well. 
So it’s not unthinkable it’s somewhere between the extreme scenarios you describe. 

My frustration with the long wait for Seraphon is the Bloodbowl plastics. If Saurus aren’t getting updated models then I’ll just convert the Bloodbowl ones, but until I know what’s coming I can’t do anything. Same with Chameleon Skinks, I’ll convert the Bloodbowl ones

seraphon need updated models for Saurus, Saurus Guard and Saurus Knights to match the newer Saurus Oldblood from the carnosaur kit and the bloodbowl team. Skinks I think are fine as is but wouldn’t complain about an update to match the Bloodbowl ones (this kinda causes issues with some of the newer big dinosaur kits though). Slann/Lord Kroak just need to be plastic, same with the Kroxigor, Saurus Sunblood and Saurus Enternity Wardan. I personally don’t like the Saurus Astrolith Bearer so I’d like a new one but I think he’s a newer model (part of the 2013 releases I believe) so don’t expect that. Salamanders/Razordons need to be completely new sculpts in plastic. The Cold Ones for the Saurus Knights need to be completely redone too, I’ve always hated the fat cartoony look when every other dinosaur looks somewhat realistic and the Dark Elves having their awesome Cold Ones was always a bit insulting. Scale down the Carnosur and give it a different head would be awesome. I think the army could use some more ‘medium’ sized dinosaurs, not big enough to be Behemoths but also not necessarily having riders, something a bit bigger than the Salamander/Razordon.

id like to see the allegiance abilities changed a bit too. Give them sub factions. One could be as they are now (celestial daemons who get summoned etc) and then you’d also have the somewhat feral and aggressive physical beings, they can’t summon or teleport or anything like that but instead they hit a lot harder and are harder to kill

well I think February it going to be filled with the Warcry content (monsters, Spire Tyrant, New Army Cards) and the Wraith of the Everchosen Book along with all the unreleased 40k content. Seraphon may honestly be after Pointy Aelves during the summer period

Edit: Also I don't expect another AoS Boxset coming out so soon in the next few months since Aether wars just cam out and GW tends to space them out I bit across systems

Edited by novakai

One interesting point:

The Old Ones actually once visited mortal realms and built up realmgates, and also left many hidden relics/technological machines behind

aaaaand they leave, just as they did in the old world. Had they paid their poor scions and servants a visit? No idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, novakai said:

well I think February it going to be filled with the Warcry content (monsters, Spire Tyrant, New Army Cards) and the Wraith of the Everchosen Book along with all the unreleased 40k content. Seraphon may honestly be after Pointy Aelves during the summer period

Edit: Also I don't expect another AoS Boxset coming out so soon in the next few months since Aether wars just cam out and GW tends to space them out I bit across systems

There is still a week of Jan to go, for tomorrow 'coming next week' article I predict the last of the sisters and the ogre hunter for underworlds.

Feb will be warcry (one week)

Next psychic awakening (one week)

Chaos siege book (one week) 

Leaves a week for lizardmen

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

yeah i don't think the Old Ones have any Mortal Realms involvement?

While I would love a nice Seraphon release, I really am dying to know more about the Hysh aelves...

They do at least in some way, it isn't explained how but the Seraphon campaign in Warcry has you seeking out some of their technology which shouldn't really exist if they didn't unless the Slann left it there. The text makes it seem like the Slann your warband is dispatched by didn't know about it until it "received a vision" though so who knows. I feel like there is going to be some pretty hefty lore reworks in the new battletome.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah,  It's probably something the Slann left at the beginning. They conceivably got to the Mortal Realms first before the gods traveling through the chaos realm did and finally Sigmar.

The Age of Myth speaks of many unbelievable wonders created by gods, god-beasts and magical empires but the Old Ones aren't even mentioned in the Seraphon tome as far as I know.

All the wonders were made by he current powers. The greatest realmgate, the SilverWay that can realign to any realm, was a Duardin creation in Chamon for instance.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Silverway

It's been centuries since those times and Sigmar's been putting things in vaults so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something a Slann overlooked (back when the Order civilizations were building early empires there) when the All-gates was captured and need their artifact recovered before Archaon notices it.

Edited by Baron Klatz

And remember that term "Old Ones" have different meaning in AoS - those are pre-Sigmar gods that was defeated by current pantheon - like titans in greek myths. Wether they were the same as old Old Ones and wether it will make Slann angry - who knows?

• Like 1

This a rumor from past November:

"A bit of news from Tom on Warhammer weekly.(rumors)

Big faq will be delayed,not until January

He was also told that the Seraphon book will come in January followed by Kharadron and Tzeentch in February. No info about minis."

Faq was in december ,Kharadron and Tzeentch at beginning of January, so probably Seraphon will be out in february. 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps a pity if it is that soon. Could get the StD treatment but I worry a launch that soon will mean a basic update like last year's.  They at least need a few new kits.

I'd prefer it after Hysh aelves, the wait will be worth it if they have time for a huge release.

Just now, michu said:

Wether they were the same as old Old Ones and wether it will make Slann angry - who knows?

Oh definitely different.  the World-that-was Old Ones had Star vessels(mentioned in the 7th edition BRB on how greenskins spores clung to them and got to the world) and were basically scientists with creating gateways and the few mortal races there.

The God-beasts are on a whole different level between being primordial gods and their very presence shifting multiple continents like the lode gryphon of Chamon or the former Shyish god-beast that made multiple death sub-realms.

Heck, the current powers that be have Alarielle creating thousands of new races at once or mortals making chrono cannons that can reverse a  whole world's/sub-realm's timeline on top of how far Seraphon have  come with their own constellation star armadas.

Frankly the Old Ones are old news.

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

The God-beasts are on a whole different level between being primordial gods and their very presence shifting multiple continents like the lode gryphon of Chamon or the former Shyish god-beast that made multiple death sub-realms.

Intersting point:

The Forgeworld Khorne Dragon is actually a Godbeast

• Like 2