The Rumour Thread

Speaking of hints toward OBR, in Legions of Nagash there was already talk of particularly ancient and powerful constructs made by Nagash and protecting Nagashizzar.  In the lore for the Soul Wars.

I logically thought of old Tomb Kings fluff and of the Morghast, but seeing as OBR are a expansion of that theme....

All in all, recent-ish fluff is really a good indicator of what's to come (Emperor's Children, Gordrakk new weapon, etc.)

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

Sorry I gotta object. 

Geedubs had both teased the new Death faction through marketing (the Bone Tithe trailers) and lore (Necroquake and Malign Portents. 

In fact I would say they wre probably the AoS faction that received the heaviest ever amount of pre-release fanfare. 

The teases were subtle until we saw the first video. That is all the Malign Portents elements didn't suggest a new faction and army, they hinted at something powerful, we never knew what. A God Beast; God, Old World God etc... There were a lot of theories. The videos themselves were the first real hint that a new army was coming, even then we didn't know what form it would take.

Thing is all that didn't kick off until the last year or so - until then the only two army teases we'd had were the two new Aelf forces - light and dark. Even if GW removed one the "Shadow" aelves have already been setup as a major force, the dominant population of a whole realm. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for hints in the lore we have:

Grotbag scuttlers- an airborne grot faction explicitly mentioned in the fluff several times. A strong candidate for a new release at some time. 

Missing Skaven great clans- only mentioned once.

A combined Duardin army - only mentioned once. 

Light Aelves- talked around several times but never described in any detail. 

Shadow Aelves - same as Light Aelves.

Kurnothi - not mentioned outside of underworlds, but obviously a good candidate for a release. 

Devoted of Sigmar- strangely absent from the cities of sigmar but in the October white dwarf Phil Kelly talks about huge armies of devoted of sigmar purifying the land with their blood. A prime candidate for the first new human faction. 

I haven't read some of the most recent battletomes yet so there may be some stuff I am missing.

• Like 4

The Beastgrave fluff also talks an ancient, 4 eyed race of insect like beings called the "Silent Ones"

I don't rate the chances of them being introduced as an army as particularly high, I think they're more the Katophrane equivalent for Ghur but if GW did want to introduce an insect race they've established background for it.

As for Duardin, it's not just the alliance bit in the Fyreslayer tome, there's also a couple hints that Grugni is working on some kind of secret project, and possibly also trying to revive Valaya.

Edit: It's been a while since I've looked at the Fyreslayer tome, so here's the passage I was thinking about:

Rumors of Grugni's return spread throughout the duardin factions, from Fyreslayer lodges to the Kharadron's aerial domains, as well as the Dispossessed and Ironweld Arsenal garrisons in the free cities of the Mortal REalms. It is said that the patriarch of the duardin pantheon has returned from his self-imposed exile and founded a new stronghold hidden beneath the mountains of Chamon. There are those who whisper that, in solitude, the Forge God is crafting something wondrous that will reunify his scattered children. Reports differ on what this could be, from a new duardin bloodline to a great machine, or even a way to bring back the missing goddess of the hearth. Whether such claims are true or merely the result of too much strong liquor and hidden hopes remain unknown.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 5

Lets not forget Nippon, Cathay, Araby, Amazonians and several others were also well fleshed out in the Old World lore and yet we only saw Amazonians in Mordheim and Araby in Warmaster. GW has no problem seeding factions that might never come to be. 

In AoS they've also seeded for undersea Sylvaneth - nyads tending to coral forests, merpeople kingdoms and huge seaserpensts.

I only think the two Aelf forces have more "chance" because they are tied to two current major Gods in the lore. I did think after the Slaanesh Tome and talk of the Aelves being allied that GW was going to potentially unit the AElves under a single banner and then add the light Aelves to that force as a special model or two (the saved from Slaanesh much like the Khinerai and Melusai for Daughters of Khaine). Cities of Sigmar was a surprise since the hints at a united dwarf front were also around. I also get the feeling that some of GW's seeds were original plans which then changed drastically over time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

Grotbag scuttlers- an airborne grot faction explicitly mentioned in the fluff several times. A strong candidate for a new release at some time. 

Kurnothi - not mentioned outside of underworlds, but obviously a good candidate for a release. 

Devoted of Sigmar- strangely absent from the cities of sigmar but in the October white dwarf Phil Kelly talks about huge armies of devoted of sigmar purifying the land with their blood. A prime candidate for the first new human faction. 

I haven't read some of the most recent battletomes yet so there may be some stuff I am missing.

I would say that Kurnothi and Grotbags are strong contenders  since GW have given names to them. 

Kurnothi have models so there clearly a concept that GW has for them,

Grotbags Scuttlers have so much lore pieces and mention at this point, that they are beyond just a background nod at this point in time. being Sky grots with airships, they seem to be the KO's Arch-nemesis.

the Light and Shadow aelves will happen eventually, it could be soon or a long ways off.

if there anything for Skaven in the near future I feel it should be a Skyre update given the current state of Acolytes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldarain said:

Eshin! Down with Monkey rats! 

I'm inclined to agree (I think). Eshin's models are ancient, with some being the actual Warband for Mordheim! I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Eshin focus in the next release. It's a playstyle that isn't really covered by any of the other armies and would be pretty cheap for GW to support. A single Gutter/Night Runners Box would update those models and anything else would just expand the playstyle.

Personally I feel like one unified Weapons Team box would clean up their range majorly, and I think thats another strong contender.

There are some rumours around Siege being the next "Psychic Awakening" for AoS, so giving them the box then makes sense too. Maybe with a standalone release for the Bombardier?

• Like 1

Also don't forget about the Skaven flying ships too mentioned in their latest tome. They were given specific names too.

Apparently an Arch-Warlock was inspired by destroyed Kharadron ships and created Skaven flying ships. As written: "dozens of armoured dirigibles, lightning-ships, warpfire barges and klawbombers take to the skies. Over the months that follow, the Skaven sky-pirates of Steelklaw's Much-great Sky-kill Air Armada raid..." and it goes on to say they destroy Orruks and other rival Skaven clans.

My best guess?

A Dreadfleet board game or system such as Warcry is incoming...but the ships are airborne!

Either that or we are getting some sweet new airborne factions. Or it's all just background fluff. Hard to say.

6 hours ago, Chikout said:

Oh man if you include novels as potential hints/set ups. We have so much more. 
my personal favourites in this moment are the race of giant intelligent hawks who’s princess gets the hots for Hamilcar. doubling down on grotbag scuttlers they now twice mentioned a group of ironjawz who thought ‘we can do this as well’. 
Or the Skryre Mountain flying villain. 
The race of mortals under the yoke of nurgle with the huntress who rides a big chittinous bug and shoots energy through her vambraces. All the while just flat out unimpressed by Neave Blacktalon. I also really like the lions of Odessa. But that’s also because it was the first audio book I listened to and really liked. But also how the mistweaver sail is discribed and behaves during the silver tower novel speaks to so much more. 
And I’m probably missing so much at this moment. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TheShogun said:

Also don't forget about the Skaven flying ships too mentioned in their latest tome. They were given specific names too.

Apparently an Arch-Warlock was inspired by destroyed Kharadron ships and created Skaven flying ships. As written: "dozens of armoured dirigibles, lightning-ships, warpfire barges and klawbombers take to the skies. Over the months that follow, the Skaven sky-pirates of Steelklaw's Much-great Sky-kill Air Armada raid..." and it goes on to say they destroy Orruks and other rival Skaven clans.

My best guess?

A Dreadfleet board game or system such as Warcry is incoming...but the ships are airborne!

Either that or we are getting some sweet new airborne factions. Or it's all just background fluff. Hard to say.

Read the novella ‘Code of the Skies’... no spoilers but you’ll love it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Oh man if you include novels as potential hints/set ups. We have so much more. 
my personal favourites in this moment are the race of giant intelligent hawks who’s princess gets the hots for Hamilcar. doubling down on grotbag scuttlers they now twice mentioned a group of ironjawz who thought ‘we can do this as well’. 
Or the Skryre Mountain flying villain. 
The race of mortals under the yoke of nurgle with the huntress who rides a big chittinous bug and shoots energy through her vambraces. All the while just flat out unimpressed by Neave Blacktalon. I also really like the lions of Odessa. But that’s also because it was the first audio book I listened to and really liked. But also how the mistweaver sail is discribed and behaves during the silver tower novel speaks to so much more. 
And I’m probably missing so much at this moment. 

The black library writers are given a bit of leeway to make their own stuff up. As cool as some of those creations are, the vast majority of them won't become miniatures.

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The black library writers are given a bit of leeway to make their own stuff up. As cool as some of those creations are, the vast majority of them won't become miniatures.

True. But vast majority isn’t all ;) 

also GW has a history of mentioning things in their own writing that never comes to pass at well. So who knows what might happen. If a black library novel inspires a cool model design it will happen I reckon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaleb Daark said:

I'm sticking with its the ring that the fleeing peasant sits in to help guide the AoS Imperial Knight giant.

After all that guy is called Illuminator... And is also a Necron.

And we all know that Necrons are just Tomb Kings in space.

And Half Life 3 is kinda confirmed.

That leads to the only possible conclusion:

Reaml of Light Tomb Kings Elven Giants confirmed

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Zerthin said:

After all that guy is called Illuminator... And is also a Necron.

And we all know that Necrons are just Tomb Kings in space.

And Half Life 3 is kinda confirmed.

That leads to the only possible conclusion:

Reaml of Light Tomb Kings Elven Giants confirmed

The new race of elves is just the embalmed remains of the old elves.

Makes sense, actually. Deserts do have quite a bit of light, geometric patterns (also something Hyish was famous for) include pyramids, and after the first new elven race was not as he wanted, maybe just keep the next one in wrappings so as not to damage them.  Like people that keep their equipment in protective foil for years.

And honestly, we have spearmen, archers, horse archers, birds and chariots with elves as well as tomb kings, so what's the big difference?

:D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

maybe just keep the next one in wrappings so as not to damage them.

That explains why Tyrion hasn't released them yet.

Teclis: Come on brother, send them to fight.

Tyrion: No! They're collectibles! They will lose value if unwrapped!

• Haha 5