The Rumour Thread

As an aside, I'm thinking they might also tease the next battlebox. Listening to the Stormcast podcast this week, the guest mentioned that she had  created a couple of AoS battlesets that haven't come out yet.

Looking at what has already come out over the last year or so...

Soul Wars: Stormcast vs Nighthaunt

Wrath and Rapture:  Slaanesh vs Khorne

Carrion Empire: Skaven vs FEC

Looncurse: Sylvaneth vs Gloomspite

In that same time frame, only two armybooks have come out without a battlebox, Fyreslayers and Beasts of Chaos. Which can probably be chalked up (Sadly) to those factions not getting any new models, as I don't really expect either of them to get a battlebox in the next year. I could be wrong though.

Anyways, looking at remaining factions, and sticking with the cross alliance matchups, we've got roughly:

Death: Nothing, unless the new faction gets a vs box, which seems slightly unlikely.

Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, which seems like a decent contender, maybe vs Freeguild for some human on human action.  Small chance of something Tzeentch.

Destruction: Gutbusters, Ironjawz, Bonesplittas, and Beastclaw Raiders. 

I haven't seen even a wisp of a hint of a Beastclaw rumor, (I'd love to get a Shadespire band with a plastic hunter, myself) and they don't lend themselves well to repackaging either. You have the start collecting box and resin kits, so even with a new hero, it's pretty blah.

So I think we will see Gutbusters and at least one of the orc factions in battleboxes, maybe both.

Order:

Hoo boy, Order. The possibilities are limitless, but I'd say the most likely picks here are Seraphon, KO, Free People, and Aelves. You could do multiple Aelf boxes, easily.

Overall, I think my top picks are Slaves to Darkness, Bonesplittas, Gutbusters, Wanderers/Hysh aelves and Seraphon, in whatever combination. In part because these are factions that could benefit a lot from having even just 1-2 more plastic hero kits, and partially because I think these are the factions most likely to be coming soon based on Rumor Engines, ect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

It has to be or else they will miss their July release date if they wait one more week.

as more hounding our Store managers for rumor, mine thinks that GW are planning to rework the Seraphon Saurus range

Having just finished painting my Saurus stuff like two months ago I would be both elated and crushed at the news. I do think it's fairly likely though, if you look at the Seraphon range, the vast majority of the ancient plastic or finecast kits are Saurus models. The Warriors and Knights especially are pretty awful, and I think giving them a facelift combined with the warscroll changes they so badly need would do a lot to invigorate the faction.

If it's true though, I don't think Seraphon are coming particularly soon, which may be one of the reasons they just got a spell lore in the GHB.

Lets not forget we all thought Skaven would get some huge reworks considering that newer plastics had been released before and that they still have metal not just finecast in their range; but the only new thing was a new warlock type - not even a replacement for the old pair (still in metal). So whilst we might see  clear desire for updated Saurus it might just be that GW has no window of opportunity at this stage for them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Lets not forget we all thought Skaven would get some huge reworks considering that newer plastics had been released before and that they still have metal not just finecast in their range; but the only new thing was a new warlock type - not even a replacement for the old pair (still in metal). So whilst we might see  clear desire for updated Saurus it might just be that GW has no window of opportunity at this stage for them. 

The Warlock Bombadier is what I would call a replacement in all but name. It does everything the old metal warlock does except it boosts it's rocket instead of a blade, which suits Skyre better anyway. If I were coming into Skaven as a brand new player I wouldn't give the metal warlock a second glance and I firmly believe that is the intent.

It's true though, not all updated factions will get a major model update. At the same time, not all of them will just get endless spells and a pat on the head, either.

44 minutes ago, madmac said:

The Warlock Bombadier is what I would call a replacement in all but name. It does everything the old metal warlock does except it boosts it's rocket instead of a blade, which suits Skyre better anyway. If I were coming into Skaven as a brand new player I wouldn't give the metal warlock a second glance and I firmly believe that is the intent.

I hope your ready for converting, because the warlock engineers isn’t even our only metal model.

1 hour ago, madmac said:

It's true though, not all updated factions will get a major model update. At the same time, not all of them will just get endless spells and a pat on the head, either.

Please take care if petting the Skaven - some bite - and none of them have had their rabies shots.

1 hour ago, Kaleb Daark said:

A bit late to the party i know but there a price hikes taking effect this week coming and possibly as early as tomorrow.

if you’re after a big centrepiece id buy now rather than later, greater daemons being a case in point.

On a completely unrelated note, Creature Caster makes some good stuff. 😗

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sandlemad said:

From GerManticore on facebook, the back of the Dreadfane box: https://www.facebook.com/GerManticore/photos/a.1321991021263613/2125636407565733/?type=3&theater

It mentions a 'dreadfane.com' but this currently links to nadda. Release data soon, hopefully?

66199596_2125636410899066_32401097001711

The homepage is active but not published yet. Interesting to see that it was created almost 1 year ago.

November 22nd, 2018 to be exact. So this confirms that they really plan years ahead. It's just strange that they use a German company to host their web page who use Name Servers in the UK.

image.png.d912fa757c80000a2330466e9137ac89.png

image.png.1fe03fb7e7412f3bdcba6219a9dee988.pngimage.png.1fe03fb7e7412f3bdcba6219a9dee988.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look at many kickstarters a year is a pretty short span of time to bring games to the market from concept. Development of assets, design work, concepts etc... All that takes time and on top of that you've got to then sort out production, shipping, prices etc... GW are big, but that doesn't mean they can jump stages, in fact it might even slow them down - meetings need more people involved; their distribution system is bigger, etc...

So yeah a year makes sense, esp for securing things like the domain name which can basically sit there as a small investment ticking over until they need it. 

30 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

The warbands of this dreadfane the same as the current starter?

Nope. Current Starter is Evocators vs a smattering of Nighthaunt. This one is Sequitors vs Banshees (the models for which have been on sale as easy to build kits since the launch of AoS 2.0)

2 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

Nope. Current Starter is Evocators vs a smattering of Nighthaunt. This one is Sequitors vs Banshees (the models for which have been on sale as easy to build kits since the launch of AoS 2.0)

Oh, Thanks.

I wanted that Nighthaunt Warband but have no interest in the new starter. Too bad it isnt sold by itself.

If it follows the pattern of the season 1 starter, then the two warbands will be available individually once season 3 starts. 

Also, I think it is important to note that this Dreadfane set is not a starter in the same way that the previous Shadespire and Night Vault sets were. It is being sold in bookstores and is not considered part of the season releases. Instead Dreadfane seems to be an evergreen onramp that will try and get people who shop at B&N into the game. 

• Thanks 1

Yep its using models already part of the line and is basically GW trying to push into other market segments outside of their current ones. That they are re-using existing model sculpts suggests that they also didn't quite want it to be bought up by their existing market as heavily if at all; which means that they can more accurately gauge its market impact at the same time as they are testing the waters trying to recruit new people. 

If they'd put new kits in chances are existing GW customers would have flocked to buy up stock even if they've no interest in the game; just to get the models (or to buy and then split and resell on). 

Hopefully it lets GW test the waters on other market segments and also draw in people who otherwise might not consider playing a miniatures wargame. 

GW is on a massive campaign to expand their customer base and recruit more gamers and fans into their franchise. Short term this helps to further cement GW's market dominance; however it also means that the consumer base for wargames gets bigger and bigger, so its good news for all in that its helping introduce more to get into the hobby. Not all, but some, will in time dip into 3rd party models and other companies and games. 

• Like 1

Dreadfane if released as in the picture, is a big step back in Underworld quality.

Apart from gripes that it's another SC vs NH starter, the sets they include are a lot cheaper than in previous editions. The Sigmarines are the ones that get tossed to your head every time you enter a GW shop or buy something online, and the banshees are a 12 euro set (though rather nice looking). 

It probably will not be cheaper, because GW, there is just less value in it.

Hmm just realized that from the looks of the new wyldwood models they won’t work without the foilage. Since Citadel woods are slowly dissapering off the market, creepy naked trees and woods will soon be a thing of the past. That is quite a shame I think. 

That being said, the citadel wood foilage was a pain to keep on but still no more spooky trees is a bad buisness move should I think.