New team event format at WHW

RuneBrush

So, yesterday GW announced a new style Team tournament.  Just wondered what people's opinions were - I think it's quite intriguing.  Here's the official intro:

This new style of event, taking place on the weekend of 12th-13 January 2019, will pit teams of four players in a series of individual matched play games against rival teams. Over the course of the weekend, the results of these games contribute to each team’s score and will ultimately determine which team emerges as the overall winners!

In a unique pairing system, the competing teams divide their players into two attackers and two defenders in each round. What’s more, to encourage varied army selection among each team’s players, warscrolls cannot be duplicated across their armies. Each team will, therefore, have to think carefully about their collective army selection, along with which players will be best suited to take the roles of attackers or defenders.

There will also be an additional category for the event’s painting awards dedicated to the best overall team army, where theme and similar basing styles across the four constituent parts of the army will be crucial (and a suitably impressive display board never does any harm either). It’s a great excuse for a combined hobby project as well as a weekend of gaming fun!

With the Event Pack available from the WHW website event page (or directly here)

I guess it's to make it easier to actually put a team of 4 people together but it was, very mildly, interesting that they restricted warscrolls within teams but as far as I could work out imposed no restrictions on what factions each team could be made up of.

I.e. Each army within a team has to come from the same grand alliance (though obviously can take whatever sub-faction of that they want).

From the pack "Warscrolls may not be duplicated across the team"

My interpretation is that because it says across the team rather than within the team, you can take whatever warscrolls you want as a player (including the same unit more than once); but you cannot have any warscroll that one of your allies has. So  you can certainly take two armies that are the same, but they've got to have different warscrolls/units. So you can't as easily min=max the same army combo 4 times over. 

1 minute ago, Overread said:

From the pack "Warscrolls may not be duplicated across the team"

My interpretation is that because it says across the team rather than within the team, you can take whatever warscrolls you want as a player (including the same unit more than once); but you cannot have any warscroll that one of your allies has. So  you can certainly take two armies that are the same, but they've got to have different warscrolls/units. So you can't as easily min=max the same army combo 4 times over. 

It's this. I suspect the idea is to stop players taking four identical Daughters of Khaine armies (or something similar that people like to moan about! :D;) ). Also as mentioned, it's to try and encourage players to bring different lists so everybody has something fun to play against. I know the WS10 guys are going and they will bring some cool stuff :D 

40 minutes ago, JPjr said:

oh yeah totally get the practicality of it, just the fluffy narrative sucker in me loves the idea of taking it one step further and having teams made up of armies who could actually be allies. 

You can still do that. The nice thing they have done in the pack is let you do this sort of thing if you want to, but I suspect most players will be thinking in a more competitive mindset due to things like the ETC and six nations

It looks like it would be a fun way of running an event. It would be nice to give some sort of bonus for having armies that can ally. ...but currently that would just ****** over destruction players so that'll have to wait until the year of destruction rolls around next year.  

I think its a shame they're investing into more competitive events over doing more/better narrative events - already having GTs, Throne of Skulls and Doubles Tournaments - but they do want to go where the ticket sales are I suppose.

Its an amazing concept though, should be fun to celebrate victories and bemoan loses as a group and shaking up the lists that people take is always a cool thing.

The length of time the 'pre-game' takes seems excessive though! But love the meta gaming.

I think we could see a change to what events GW run.  One rumour I heard was that the events part of GW have been moved over to become part of the community team (first event run like that was the Kill Team Open Day), so we may well see more in the way of narrative style events coming along (with luck!)

19 hours ago, Ahriman said:

I think its a shame they're investing into more competitive events over doing more/better narrative events - already having GTs, Throne of Skulls and Doubles Tournaments - but they do want to go where the ticket sales are I suppose.

Its an amazing concept though, should be fun to celebrate victories and bemoan loses as a group and shaking up the lists that people take is always a cool thing.

The length of time the 'pre-game' takes seems excessive though! But love the meta gaming.

They've had several 40k and AOS narrative events through the year.

5 hours ago, The World Tree said:

They've had several 40k and AOS narrative events through the year.

I know they did some, these weren't phenomenal though (they certainly don't have the time spent on them their 40k campaigns do) and they certainly didn't do several.

From what I can see they've done 2 campaign weekends this year, and about 7 or 8 tournaments of various types, for AoS 1- I'd much rather see a more even amount of each. There's 3 ways  to play, but from Warhammer World alone its overwhelmingly competitive play, which doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

I just want more storyline in my life! Haha

8 minutes ago, Ahriman said:

I know they did some, these weren't phenomenal though (they certainly don't have the time spent on them their 40k campaigns do) and they certainly didn't do several.

From what I can see they've done 2 campaign weekends this year, and about 7 or 8 tournaments of various types, for AoS 1- I'd much rather see a more even amount of each. There's 3 ways  to play, but from Warhammer World alone its overwhelmingly competitive play, which doesn't appeal to a lot of people.

I just want more storyline in my life! Haha

Can't argue with any of that.  A strong amount of effort goes into the 40k ones and dI'd love to see them take that further. However, I would say them having a team tournament does not conflict with that - I'd rather them do that than another heat. We don't need more singe player competitive events. 

Archived