AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

This is my “old points” thricefold list.

Got me 4th place in a 20 man tournament. 2-1 Did not face the hardest lists, but I feel this list is quitte strong. The 2*30 plaguebearers blob is how I used to play the the thricefold too, but I never really seem to need all those models. So one unit of 30 serves me well, the other 3 units of 10 provide more mobility and great chaff to run up screen your GUO’s, hold back etc. etc. 
The purple sun really works well with the +1 cast guo initially the idea is to use this enedless spell to eliminate hordes, but one of the matches I faced was against new mawtribe, removing gluttons who are stuck in combat with some plaguebearers cause they are slain is not something your opponent likes. (I do need tonsay I was lucky with in all my games to have arcane territory on my side). The geminids are to debuff elite/hero’s and obviouksy yet another source of d3 mortal wounds besides the plaguestorm 3d3. The GUO with gryphfeather charm easily survived a mawcrusher especially since he was also struck by the light geminid. Took me some spells and ...indeed a little luck with my big sword to obliterate that mawcrusher...which by the also had a gryph feather charm.

The portal is great for all the endless spells and the plaguestorm. Only matchup i lost was against sylvaneth dreadwood list. I play my thricefold very defensively, hardly dont move in the first two rounds, especially not with the guo’s. But the “mistake” i made against the dreadwood list was that i thought he woukd play aggressive with all the teleport shenanigans, but he was smart and also waited for me to advance to the objectives. I obviously realised that when it was to late and his units of kurnoths dropped from everywhere. He had two units of 6 with scythes...sigh...it was a disaster. (He also had a double turn....not that it would have mattered much...just sayin)

so now with the point drop I have 60 points left...I feel that 1 endless spell/wizard is really enough to bring. (You can even only cast one per wizard so I’m in doubt to bring another. Maybe prismatic pallisade against shooting armies)

on the other hand I coukd try out to bring some other battelines....

DA15AA49-AD60-4544-8C10-FD0F77B2D52A.jpeg

I would drop purpel sun due to chance of backfiring into the plaguebearers. 

And with the open 110 points add a chaos sorcer lord with plague squall for another D3 dmg spell with unlimited range. Combined mith Rotigus and wheel stage 6 as well as spellportal und plague wind no enemy hero is save... 

Still the whole thricefold list building ist very much depending on your casting rolls and enemy unbind rolls ;) so not much consistent. 

1 hour ago, Zplash said:

I would drop purpel sun due to chance of backfiring into the plaguebearers. 

And with the open 110 points add a chaos sorcer lord with plague squall for another D3 dmg spell with unlimited range. Combined mith Rotigus and wheel stage 6 as well as spellportal und plague wind no enemy hero is save... 

Still the whole thricefold list building ist very much depending on your casting rolls and enemy unbind rolls ;) so not much consistent. 

Indeed, every game where you have to roll dice your bound by the dice outcome and the more a list depends on it (dice rolls) the less reliable the outcome is.  And especially against other, stronger magic, lists thricefold crumbles. That bein said, it is a great build to play Nurgle as far as I’m concerned.

the chaos sorcerer lord was something i had in mind too. Well i was thinking about the Nurgle sorcerer actually, but your idea is better cause the chaos sorcereror lord is cheaper. (If im correct)

I like livin on the edge, Purple Sun stays...until it bites my a..

Mini batrep from my game last night with the list below:

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing  
- Artefact: The Witherstave  
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
- Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch 
Lord of Blights (140)
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
Blight Cyst (140)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 165

Won by 1 point on Places of Arcane Power vs. a Stormcast Stardrake list. Key headlines:

The Furnace freakishly died in one round of combat to an Arcanum on Tauralon so my Brooch was down the pan turn one. 

Blightkings were brutal with the rend and well worth the points.

New Monks warscroll is much more friendly and still lethal with Blades of Putrefaction. 

What basically won me the game was the cheeky 6 inch move coming down off the Balewind so Festus could run onto the objective. 

So great game and really enjoyed picking up Nurgle again!!

• Thanks 1

Well, after Tzeentch and Kharadron Overlords have shown a 100% flying force for the Aether War release, Nurgle tried the same:

Leaders
Lord of Afflictions (200)
- General

Battleline
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (200)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Battalions
Affliction Cyst (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

A complete drone list. Alternativly it could be possible to switch a unit of Blightlords + Battalion + Command Point for 6 more Plague Drones, but it means to sacrifice the ability to give all the Blightlords in range the extra movement from the Lord of Affliction Ability. And I have at least the models for the list above 😛

One of the mainproblems will most likely be that the list is quite elite and so lacks mass for objectives.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Nice work on all the flies!! Maybe a second hero instead of 2 Pusgoyles (unless you want the narrative of the Lord of the Flies with his flying horde)?

It's partly a narrative thing. Sadly a best fitting hero for a second herochoice doesn't exist (A Herold on Plague Drone).

25 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Could also have a Manticore Sorcerer for magic.

Except for the point that the Manticore is not a plagedrone, yeah, it wouls still be a flying nurgle army, and would most likely look like this:

Leaders
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- General

Battleline

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Battalions
Affliction Cyst (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 122

• Like 1

Maybe a stupid question but in the warscroll builder I can give Belakor in a nurgle allegiance Armee a nurgle daemon spell out of the nurgle lore... 

This does not work for the epitome for example. 

Did I miss something or is the warscroll builder just wrong in the case for Belakor?

In the Battletome it is described that every wizard in a nurgle Armee can Pic a spell out of the box with the 3 specific keywords: daemon, mortal, rotbringer. 

So the wizard doesn't need to have the nurgle keyword only need to be in my Armee (which he obviously is) and need one of the 3 keywords: daemon, mortal, rotbringer? 

Please tell me that I'm right and I will include him in my armee :D

Edit: Epitome is a daemon too :(

I don't get it... Maybe Belakor doesn't need to be an nurgle ally anymore? 

Edited by Zplash

On 12/30/2019 at 8:31 AM, sal4m4nd3r said:

The exalted GUO sneaky went down 100 points. So you can double tap a unit with +1 attack. Also has +1 to hit vs regular GUO with sword, and also 1 extra attack so can replace the "fighty" guo in a thricefold easily now. 

Exalted GUO has been 400 points for a while if I recall correctly. He's a right mean beat stick. 

On 12/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, EMMachine said:

Except for the point that the Manticore is not a plagedrone, yeah, it wouls still be a flying nurgle army, and would most likely look like this:

Leaders
Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)
- General

Battleline

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Battalions
Affliction Cyst (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 122

You could always give a GUO the cloak from Aqshy to make him fly 😁

Hello. I'm usually a Beasts of Chaos player, but wanted to share the following here, as I'm enjoying my Pestilent Throng list. With the recent point change to Warherd units, I discovered that Nurgle can be a surprisingly good home for Warherd. With the new point costs complementing Nurgle's speed bonuses (from both the Feculent Gnarlmaw's run-and-charge buff and the Great Unclean One's Doomsday Bell), I'm learning that a Pestilent Throng  run under the Maggotkin of Nurgle Allegiance can present an often unforeseen challenge to my opponents.

In my Pestilent Throng list below, I'm able to consistently rush two Ghorgons at my opponent's lines on the first turn, complementing my first turn Centigor charge. With the point deductions, I'm also able to dependably follow up that impact in the following turn with a Doombull and six Bullgor with great axes.

During placement, the Great Unclean One and Sorcerer are usually to be placed center of my deployment area. The Centigors and Great Bray-Shaman are placed to the left of the Great Unclean One, the Warherd units placed to its right, all within range to benefit from the Great Unclean One's Reverberating Summons. The Feculent Gnarlmaw is placed in front of the Warherd units, so that they can run and still charge.

The Centigors can already run and charge, and run 21"+d6" (14" base, +1" from their Beast Banner, +3" from the Great Bray-Shaman, +3" from the Great Unclean One). Casting the Sorcerer's Blades of Putrefaction spell on the Centigors, when combined with their own Drunken Revelry, makes the Centigors inflict MW on 5+ to hit rolls. With four attacks per model, that can be a lot of first turn MW impact before even considering the unit's actual attacks (which can get to be 3+/3+ on the Centigor Spears, re-rolling to wound rolls, when factoring in both Drunken Revelry and the Cycle of Corruption's Fecund Vigor).

If I successfully cast Blades of Putrefaction, then I run the Centigors forward and (odds are) annihilate an important opposing unit. If I am unsuccessful in rolling the required seven to cast that spell, I have the option of swinging the Centigor to support the Ghorgons.

With the point deductions for Warherd, I can now field a Doombull and Bullgors to support my two Ghorgons. Running the Warherd units forward at least 10"+d6" (Doombull and Bullgors move 7"; Ghorgon initially move 8"), I can either roll high or use my command points (since my Doombull is now nearby) to get the two Ghorgon forward 17". That typically puts the two Ghorgon within charge range on the first turn, with the Doombull and Bullgors positioned to support in the following turn.

It's a magic capable list, too. While claiming objectives in the center of the board, the Great Unclean One also typically casts Glorious Afflictions on whatever opposing unit I need slowed down, as well as Plague Wind to heal my Warherd units.  The Sorcerer (with three casting opportunities per turn, thanks to both Muttergrub and Balewind Vortex) casts Blades of Putrefaction and Mystic Shield on the Centigors, if possible, as well as Arcane Bolt on opposing Heroes. My Great Bray-Shaman is thus free to cast Foul Regenesis each turn, which if successful lets me set the Cycle of Corruption to whatever I need for the moment.

With three Ungor units to screen and/or claim backfield objectives, this list has several tools in its toolbox. It's fun to play and often a bit of a surprise to opponents, which usually don't expect either its speed (especially among the Warherd) nor its variety of threats.

What do you think?

Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Plague Flail & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Endless Gift
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Sorcerer (120)
- Artefact: Muttergrub
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
Doombull (100)

Battleline
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields
10 x Ungors (60)
- Mauls & Half-Shields

Units
6 x Bullgors (280)
- Great Axes
20 x Centigors (320)

Behemoths
Ghorgon (160)
Ghorgon (160)

Battalions
Pestilent Throng (200)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 157

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I have REALLY wanted to make a nurgle pestilent throng battalion work for some time with warherd. I like where you head is at with the centigors, but I think it might be better in smaller groups to act as cruise missiles with blades if it goes off rather then a huge blob.  This would better synergize with the battalion effects as well! Looks like a lot of fun though! I hate that the warherd units cant be the required units for the battalion and you have to take a 180 point tax on top of the 180 point battalion which has lackluster effects. 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, Zplash said:

Maybe a stupid question but in the warscroll builder I can give Belakor in a nurgle allegiance Armee a nurgle daemon spell out of the nurgle lore... 

This does not work for the epitome for example. 

Did I miss something or is the warscroll builder just wrong in the case for Belakor?

In the Battletome it is described that every wizard in a nurgle Armee can Pic a spell out of the box with the 3 specific keywords: daemon, mortal, rotbringer. 

So the wizard doesn't need to have the nurgle keyword only need to be in my Armee (which he obviously is) and need one of the 3 keywords: daemon, mortal, rotbringer? 

Please tell me that I'm right and I will include him in my armee :D

Edit: Epitome is a daemon too :(

I don't get it... Maybe Belakor doesn't need to be an nurgle ally anymore? 

Sounds like the warscroll builder is wrong. Be'lakor doesn't have the nurgle keyword or any way to get it so he can only be included in the army as an ally. As far as I know allies don't get access to the allegiance abilities/spells.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Sad 1

So, bit of an update on the Pestilent Throng list.

Overall, good stuff. The speed at which the force engages the opposition and claims objectives is really tough to overcome. With only three drops, a lot of armies end up going second. Being able to set the terms of the battle, tying up opposing forces while claiming objectives from the onset, greatly helps determine the pace of the encounter.

I ended up switching this force's realm of origin to Aqshy, so that I could swap the Great Unclean One's "The Endless Gift" artefact for the realm's "Thermalrider Cloak." With the Doomsday Bell's bonus to speed included, my general now usually moves at least 12", prior to potential run or bonus from the Cycle of Corruption. I wanted it to be able to keep up with my warherd units, so that it can more consistently be in range to heal those units via Plague Wind. As impressive as "The Endless Gift" can be, the extra speed (plus flight) is likely more useful and fun.

For the nerdy(er) aspect of the game, I imagine my army being from a fever swamp of the Realm of Fire, with the Great Unclean One having become almost bestial itself, a creature of rabid and mind-destroying disease, such that the Beasts of Chaos are drawn to its service and the list's sorcerer serves as its only steward and vassal to the speaking world. Not a bad concept, I think, to give the list a bit of character and depth.

The list (prior to this post's noted artefact swap) is posted above on this page. With this new change, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Happy gaming!