Army for hobbyist

Wierd question: What is the best army to play for painters?

What I've realized from the small forces I've currently painted and played is that I'd like to find a single army with lots of unit variety, but still have fun playing. Are their armies that just one or two of each box would actually work gamewise? 

For example, I love my fyreslayers but don't want to buy and paint 6+ more boxes of vulkites and 8 boxes of hearthguard just to make 3-4 units and have a playable army.

I've been looking at a mixed Destruction force for this reason. Regular Orks, armored Orks, Grots, Squigs, Giants, ManEaters and Firebellies, Troggoths, war machines, the Beastclaw stuff and I'm sure more I am forgetting.  I really like the idea of how it would look on the table. 

Seems me and @Skabnoze are rocking the same attitude today. What do you love? what gets the ideas pumping...is it the horde of undead warriors, heavily armoured angel warriors of a god king, squigs? 

It is your army. You will put 100s of hours into painting it and if anything like me then play 5-6 times a year...I'ts far better for me to love my aesthetic than it is for me to love the rules.

So what do you love?

The largest amount of variety would be found in Grand Alliance: Order.

It literally has everything.

As a hobby project, I don't think you could beat trying to model a free city.

Choose your realm and go wild.

7 hours ago, Wired4War said:

What I've realized from the small forces I've currently painted and played is that I'd like to find a single army with lots of unit variety, but still have fun playing. Are their armies that just one or two of each box would actually work gamewise? 

For example, I love my fyreslayers but don't want to buy and paint 6+ more boxes of vulkites and 8 boxes of hearthguard just to make 3-4 units and have a playable army.

To me it sounds like you probably want an army for one of the Grand Alliances. This means that you can paint up whatever you want and around whatever theme you want. 

Grand Alliances and Cities from Firestorm could be cool

Seraphon and KO if you want mono faction, the ships and making your own sky-port from KO and aztec dinosaurs riding dinosaurs with magic frogs are great too.

In Seraphon case I could advice to go with Saurus since skinks will make you paint a lot of boxes if you want full units but little skinks units and a lot of monsters is a viable option too (not taking in account the new edition)

As much as everyone will hate me for saying it, the answer to the question 'what army works best with one or two boxes of each unit' is Stormcast. Obviously the armour is a constant throughout so if you dont like that as a repetitive element they are not for you, but they have so many heros, unique and very detailed big and medium models, easily converted troops that can be painted as basic or perfect as you want. With all the new stuff coming there is so much scope, I think they make a great option.

For me I'd probably pick Grand Alliance Order and pick one of the cities within the Firestorm campaign book*.  This would give you a "common" theme but with enough diversity to basically paint anything from the Order range.

From a painters perspective the new Deepkin is completely different to anything else out there and opens up the option to paint things in aquatic colours.  Kharadron really lend themselves to lots of metallics and the ships have plenty of open spaces for freehand or decals.  Stormcast look great in a colour other than gold and lend themselves to NMM style techniques and similar - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Other grand alliances do have quite a bit of diversity so it depends entirely on what you're after doing, Destruction lend themselves to a mixture of techniques, from bare chested Ogors and their massive beasts through to Orruks and Grots, where you can really go to town on battered armour and bright colours (they don't need to be green skinned either).  Chaos are great if you want to play with techniques such as dribbling putrid flesh, blood splatter or magical effects.  Death tends to have less variety in overall appearance, but plenty of scope for painting up ethereal cloth and models - purples, reds etc work just as well as greens and blues for this too.

* Not saying to use the allegiance rules, but as a good starting point

I'd say that the boring answer comes down to "whatever models you like most".

But because that's a very boring answer I'd like to make a case for Tzeentch. They currently have their own Start Collecting! box that gives you a lot of units and a lot of options to build it. They also have a Battleforce with lots of newer models that saves you a decent chunk over buying them separately. Plus, because they are Chaos, you can expand super easily into Slaves to Darkness by giving those a Mark of Tzeentch.  There's a lot of variety in models (all kinds of deamons, from living sparks of flame to magic flying manta rays, all kinds of birdy-beastmen and pretty neat cultists) and Tzeentch might also be the most colourful Chaos God around. I can't think of a colour that doesn't go together with Tzeentch except maybe Nurgling Green.

Plus, I totally agree with everyone saying Seraphon above as well :D

Haha, this is my problem and all of your good ideas confirm it! There are so many good directions to go! 

It does sound like a more elite army is what I'm looking for. I knew about stormcast and that's mostly what I have. I don't know why seraphon never occurred to me...I'm a paleontology professor...

On 5/31/2018 at 8:20 PM, Wired4War said:

There are so many different kinds of painters and paint styles that this question doesn't have a good answer without more information.

Without any other information, I would recommend in this order: Grand Alliance Chaos or Grand Alliance Order, then Grand Alliance Destruction and finally Grand Alliance Death, then any other army.

The GAs have so many different styles to paint, from Khorne to Nurgle to Tzeentch to Skaven, from Stormcast to Fyreslayers to Sylvaneth to Idoneth to Seraphon to Daughters.

9 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

There are so many different kinds of painters and paint styles that this question doesn't have a good answer without more information.

Without any other information, I would recommend in this order: Grand Alliance Chaos or Grand Alliance Order, then Grand Alliance Destruction and finally Grand Alliance Death, then any other army.

The GAs have so many different styles to paint, from Khorne to Nurgle to Tzeentch to Skaven, from Stormcast to Fyreslayers to Sylvaneth to Idoneth to Seraphon to Daughters.

Yeah I realize that about GAs and like your suggested order of preference. Although I'm finding a whole alliance to be too open ended...it's an annoying goldilocks problem I'm having with this game (its what makes it so exciting too).

Honestly my ideal hobby army would be like stormcast: low model count, lots of heroes, cavalry, ranged, behemoths, soon wizards and artillery as well...I just have a mental block about diving deeply into the 'poster goodguys' after doing space marines in 40k.

I'm sure every alliance thinks of itself as the good guys, but we know what's important: the cycle of life, nature... Praise Nurgle!

If you are a painter more than you are a player ,  pick an army that is challenging.   Do what I did and browse the warscroll app.   The models that make your panting hand twitch will guide you.   For me,  it was the Pusgoyles.  Who knows what inspires you but you?   ?

On 6/1/2018 at 9:05 AM, Wired4War said:

Haha, this is my problem and all of your good ideas confirm it! There are so many good directions to go! 

It does sound like a more elite army is what I'm looking for. I knew about stormcast and that's mostly what I have. I don't know why seraphon never occurred to me...I'm a paleontology professor...

I settled on building a series of smaller armies- 1000 points or so. I came up with a background for each and build/model and build terrain to match.

I dont like spam painting or painting dozens of identical miniatures anymore.

15 hours ago, Wired4War said:

Yeah I realize that about GAs and like your suggested order of preference. Although I'm finding a whole alliance to be too open ended...it's an annoying goldilocks problem I'm having with this game (its what makes it so exciting too).

Honestly my ideal hobby army would be like stormcast: low model count, lots of heroes, cavalry, ranged, behemoths, soon wizards and artillery as well...I just have a mental block about diving deeply into the 'poster goodguys' after doing space marines in 40k.

Knights Excelsior are reportedly somewhat edgy and they have a cool color scheme.

Archived