Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

You can obviously summon X number of skinks/heroes/dread saurians, but they do have to be within 12 of the slaan, who is literaly a talking toad with a really good memory.

I remember one game when a unit of 10 gors killed a slaan in a single combat

????

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering whether you will need to use command points in order to activate a wizard's spell-casting ability, as you will do to activate a hero's command ability.   This would mean that summoning via spells would still have a cost and, in the new system, a not inconsiderable one.  There are going to be several ways to gain them, but more ways to spend them.  Units may be getting cheaper in places, but the slack may be taken up by command points and not more models.

1 minute ago, Aelfric said:

I'm wondering whether you will need to use command points in order to activate a wizard's spell-casting ability, as you will do to activate a hero's command ability.   This would mean that summoning via spells would still have a cost and, in the new system, a not inconsiderable one.  There are going to be several ways to gain them, but more ways to spend them.  Units may be getting cheaper in places, but the slack may be taken up by command points and not more models.

I doubt it, but I like the direction your mind is taking, that's a creative proposal I haven't heard before.  But I think we would have heard about this if it was coming now.

2 minutes ago, stratigo said:

At turn 5 you summon skinks onto the objective. Summoning is really strong and you are almost certainly going to have 300 or so more points than your opponent by turn 3 even by half assing it. Going hypothetical crazy man you could generate an average 18 points a turn. No seraphon army will need to start with a dread saurian, but all of them will have one turn 2 if they want. The only way to stop this is to be an alpha strike army

Eh, you're getting a maximum of 16 points in a turn with kroak and an Astrolith, and that means giving up all of your other spells, which probably isn't worth it in most games. I'd expect players to drop 1-2 spells to get 8-10 or 5-7 points per turn in most Seraphon lists, unless you're up against Nagash or something and don't want to even attempt to cast spells. Also, 10 Skinks (60pts) cost 6 points to summon, and skink heroes (80pts), cost 12 points.  I'd expect a dread saurian to cost 36-42 points to summon, if you can summon one at all, which would be impossible to get on turn 2.

29 minutes ago, stratigo said:

At turn 5 you summon skinks onto the objective. Summoning is really strong and you are almost certainly going to have 300 or so more points than your opponent by turn 3 even by half assing it. Going hypothetical crazy man you could generate an average 18 points a turn. No seraphon army will need to start with a dread saurian, but all of them will have one turn 2 if they want. The only way to stop this is to be an alpha strike army

So another point for going second being the best choice at the end of the game?

16 minutes ago, Asamu said:

Eh, you're getting a maximum of 16 points in a turn with kroak and an Astrolith, and that means giving up all of your other spells, which probably isn't worth it in most games. I'd expect players to drop 1-2 spells to get 8-10 or 5-7 points per turn in most Seraphon lists, unless you're up against Nagash or something and don't want to even attempt to cast spells. Also, 10 Skinks (60pts) cost 6 points to summon, and skink heroes (80pts), cost 12 points.  I'd expect a dread saurian to cost 36-42 points to summon, if you can summon one at all, which would be impossible to get on turn 2.

You give up all your spells...and your endless spell dispels.  

If your opponent is forcing purple sun down your throw are you going to toss out your dispels, too?

11 minutes ago, stratigo said:

Like  I said, full crazy man summoning, you take kroak and 4 astroliths 

Thats 1100 points dedicated to summoning.  You're counting on 900 points of your army to hold off 2000 points of your opponents army long enough to get any value out of the summons.  I really dont see that happening reliably against any educated gamer.

13 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

So another point for going second being the best choice at the end of the game?

Except if you don't have summoner in the battlefield :(

Don't forget that there is an ennemy, on the other side, and he's not wanting to play guitar or ping pong while you're pooling some shyytty points. He's here to DESTROY YOU! :S

15 minutes ago, stratigo said:

It's d3 if you have 1 or more Astroliths, so there's no reason to take more than 1. You cannot get more than 16 summoning points on a single turn. You'd give up way too much of your army by trying too hard for the summoning anyway, so alpha strike lists would just kill your army on turn 1. Kroak is also a less appealing choice in Seraphon lists with the Balewind being reworked and regular Slann getting more flexibility with realm spells and summoning. If you aren't going to use Kroak's damage spells every turn they have viable targets in range, it's probably not worth it to bring him at all.

I'm afraid that if your slann is here capitalizing points for summoning, he's hiding somewhere in the bottom of the battlefield in a deep dark hole doing nothing. So, it is a waste of army points some how. And don't be late, your oponent is capitalizing GAME point in the meantime.

It is really too soon to focus on summoning guys, we almost know nothing/nada/que dalle/rien about the full game perspective :P 

23 minutes ago, stratigo said:

You generate D3 if you have any astrolith, not per astrolith

6 minutes ago, Asamu said:

You cannot get more than 16 summoning points on a single turn. 

Well that's not strictly true... we've seen an Endless Spell that allows wizards to cast more spells. More spells = more CC

So, I've looked at the articles and the GW shop what major faction are there without a Faction Focus. (Sorry for the old names.)

Order
Idoneth Deepkin
Dispossessed
Dark Elves
High Elves
Wood Elves

Chaos
Beastmen

Death
??? I think all major factions have been showcased?

Destruction
Beastclaw Raiders
Ogors
Orruks/Greenskinz
Bonesplitterz
Grots

That's just enough for a faction focus a day until the 9th.

But more "on topic". It ssems that you will have to put in even more work before game. Listbuilding got a lot more complex. Chose an army, whose which warscroll battalion to play, choose a realm, decide between units, battalion costs, extra CP, triumph and endless spells.
Then before the game decide what magic items, command abilities  and spells you will use. If you roll randomly on which Realm you play, then you have to know all the Realm spells, to make an educated decision which would be the best.

1 hour ago, stratigo said:

That still will only net you (once factoring the extra point at the end of the turn) 16 points a turn at best, on out of 3 times, though. And 4 astroliths is a waste. Sure you get redundancy and plenty of positioning output in case your astroliths get sniped but it's too much of a waste.

1 hour ago, S133arcanite said:

I remember one game when a unit of 10 gors killed a slaan in a single combat

????

But is it really single combat if its 10 on 1?  ?  To be fair though, how many of us on here could kill a frog the size of a VW Beetle  that shoots lightning out of its MIND!

So many hypotheticals, it’s hard to imagine how the new edition will play.

They’ve certainly cranked the options up to 11 though. So long as there are no glaringly broken combos it’ll make for some nice variety... I hope.

Looking forward to seeing the full set of rules.

I would love for them to have demo games of AOS 2.0 at UKGE this weekend, though it may be a bit early.

Interesting that the Beastcaller Bones don’t specify enemy monsters. So you could enthrall yourself with that item as you would count as being within 3” of yourself...

9 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

On a curious level, how would you prefer GW to do this on the run up to the new release if you were managing it?

I’m probably biased as I’m very eager to see AoSII come out and I’m possibly also misremembering the 40k hype cycle. This cycle seems very long and very scattershot. As an example we’ve  had various articles about magic and artefacts. Each one gives tidbits which while very welcome are not informative. The faction focus articles are practically useless and only the last paragraph usually gives information.

Now I can’t say I would do it any better but I would do things differently. 

11 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

That still will only net you (once factoring the extra point at the end of the turn) 16 points a turn at best, on out of 3 times, though. And 4 astroliths is a waste. Sure you get redundancy and plenty of positioning output in case your astroliths get sniped but it's too much of a waste.

The balancing factor in Maggotkin seems to be points cost.  A lot of things went up in price between GHB17 and MoN.  To get the best Gnarlmaw setup requires around 760 points of 4 weak models.    

2 hours ago, Vanger said:

But more "on topic". It ssems that you will have to put in even more work before game. Listbuilding got a lot more complex. Chose an army, whose which warscroll battalion to play, choose a realm, decide between units, battalion costs, extra CP, triumph and endless spells.

Then before the game decide what magic items, command abilities  and spells you will use. If you roll randomly on which Realm you play, then you have to know all the Realm spells, to make an educated decision which would be the best.

You're not wrong although the good news is that the actual game play itself doesn't sound significantly more complicated  (although it sounds like there are more tactical decisions to make)

9 hours ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Ahh, it's The Honest Wargamer. A twitch channel and podcast. Really good

That's where Rob from Warhammer TV went when he decided that Games Workshop, on their Facebook pages/other platforms, were too aggressively "cultivating" (or less charitably censoring) away negative comments or contrary commentaries, correct?  I think I saw on his reddit AMA that the name "The Honest Wargammer" was in part a dig at that practice?  

Reavers dont get bonuses from being in a horde so theres no loss from going MSU with them.  Or drop them completely and try and save up for a slaughter priest or an allied wizard (dont know your budget/work schedule so I'm trying to give less costly solutions). Or talk to your opponent about applying the veto rule to spells as well and just not let him have banishment.

Archived