2024 and you - What’s your Hobby Plans?

Gaz Taylor

With 2024 days away and I’ve got lots of hobby plans going on in my head, I’m curious what your hobby plans are for the new year?

Mine are to paint up my Kruleboyz and Flesh Eaters and prepare for next edition of Age of Sigmar (which is probably coming if you follow the formula of campaign books towards the end of an edition). I’m also resisting doing a Slaves of Darkness silly army (Archaeon, knights/Varanguard and not much else). The Old World looks cool but skeptical about how it’s supported.

No idea how much I’ll get done as I start a new job in about a week (4 working days left at current job after a loooonnngggg notice period) but that’s the plan.

Whats your plan?

• Like 1

I've got a few musts that I need to finish before moving to others:

• Paint a bit more of my Kharadrons (I repeat this every year).
  • Repaint and rebase my first Ironclad (80% painted, still working on the base).
  • Paint at least 2k points of Kruleboyz (0% done, everything is grey now)
  • I will follow TOW really close, I'm interested in some factions and I need to chose one of them. That means that I will need to buy, build and paint at least 2k points before tournaments starts rolling.
  • Do something with my League of Votann army. Not sure if I want to play with them: boring rules, boring lore and boring customization. I started looking at other armies and there are rumors about an Emperor's Children army, so, Votann will stay a bit longer on the shelf.

Appart from that, I need some time to organize, build&paint some other games/miniatures (KDM, Conquest, Frosthaven and Malifaux).

Edited by Beliman
  • Confused 1

I've got about 3,000 points worth of my Hedonites that it'd be nice to finish before 2024 passes by. This includes Glutos, Synessa and Sigvald, all of whom will require many hours of work. 

If I manage to get that done, I will finally move onto a fresh project. If The Old World catches on, I might start the Orc and Goblin horde I've always fancied. 

Priority no. 1 is finally figuring out the paint scheme I want to go with for the new Cities range (currently thinking of a mix between the original and new Greywater schemes), and then finally finishing off the army set. After that...

• Trying to do some more in-depth conversions for an Ironweld themed Cities Warcry band
  • Expanding my Cities to 4000-5000 points
  • Probably getting back to my Dark Angels Kill Team
  • Finally getting around to trying out painting T'au
  • Finishing off my Votann to Necromunda Squat gang conversion

The main things on my painting to-do list for 2024 are:

AoS: OBR vanguard

40k: Necron Combat Patrol

MESBG: Mordor Battleforce

TOW: ~500 points custom starter force for tomb kings, ideally based on the old battalion contents, but that only works if I can come up with a GW store legal conversion substitute for the horsemen that I actually like.

HH: Raven Guard special terminator unit, for a friend

Underworlds: Kainan's Reapers

War Cry: some playable warband.  Probably misc OBR stuff unless an official OBR warband is released before I get around to them.

I'd like to expand the Tomb Kings, Mordor, and especially the OBR forces out into full standard size playable forces w/ matching terrain, maybe make one of them into a proper armies on parade entry, but there's a lot on my plate already, and that's before we get into likely elden ring dlc and silksong releases this year which, if they happen, will distract my attention away from tabletop hobbies.

I had a pretty wierd year all round and this meant my motivation has been all over the place, especially hobby wise. I painted about 2000 pts of Sylvaneth in like 2 weeks but then didn't paint anything for like 3 months. So first goal is to get into a a regular pattern of hobbying and just managing my time better.

Specificly goals will be to

- Paint up WarCry and Underworlds boxes so I can give those games a spin with my freinds.

- Build and paint the new FEC stuff

- Put final touches to my Sylvaenth army with Lady of Vines and Blethanos

- Make some inroads on my backlog of Stromcast models which is now getting a little silly.

- Get some progress on my DoK / NUrgle armies which I've been planning to really push myself with but havent really got going with it.

I fully expect to not get all of that done but will be interesting to come back in a year and see if I've got anything done at all.

• Like 1

My two main AoS goals are to have every Cities and Stormiest model I own fully painted, based, and ready to go by the end of the year.

The problem is, both of those goalposts seem to keep moving themselves with new models...

Ok the 40k side, my only goal is to finally play a game of 40k for the first time in 15 years, now that I'm up to two fully painted armies.

So for 2024 I plan to maintain momentum in painting on the weekends. It was a change going from university to working full time as I have a lot less time on my hands but I have been painting on the weekends and some evenings and actually have gotten alot done. 

I am focusing purely on my FEC and Nids armies and plan to not start any others which will be a challenge. I am trying not to buy much until I have painted what I have as I got alot for Christmas which should last me a while. I do want to get the FEC characters due out and nids units I don't have but I need to remember they wont be limited or going anywhere so they can wait. I fell into a bit of a habbit or impulse buying in 2023 so I am trying to approach the hobby more healthily.

Aside from that I would like to dabble in 3d printing and designing some custom parts for my models to make them more unique, thats an ambitious goal though so I will see what time brings. 

• Like 1

I'll be moving interstate, then hopefully will be able to paint up my gloomspite gitz. I'm also planning on getting the Tomb King box for TOW, if I can. I'm keen for jank skellies and classic WHFB. Really keen on getting to a place where the weather is good and I can prime any day. The main hindrance for my painting this year has been location-  the weather is always kinda wet and dismal whenever I try to prime.

One other plan I have is to re-evaluate my hobby and seeing what I won't ever get around to. Mostly this is 40k stuff, as 10e has soured me on the whole thing. Can't keep up with all the editions and rules churn, so might just get rid of everything bar a small bit of marines.

2 minutes ago, Taerg Ad Ywons said:

I'm also planning on getting the Tomb King box for TOW, if I can. I'm keen for jank skellies and classic WHFB.

One other plan I have is to re-evaluate my hobby and seeing what I won't ever get around to. Mostly this is 40k stuff, as 10e has soured me on the whole thing. Can't keep up with all the editions and rules churn, so might just get rid of everything bar a small bit of marines.

Yeah I get this 9th onwards put me off of 40k the game just have my necrons and marines all that's left.

Brettonia was my first army so excited for those. I wath thinking of getting the brettonia box and they could asl proxy some free guild campaign. Also could be used in narratives a random city has bee found etc etc or even a narrative fall into fec.

December/jan finish my khorne daemon force

Jan/feb - apr/may  make start of ny fec get then built and begin painting. jun -sept probably be more painting. August birthday period evaluate what I have be good to finish t my manfredd legion of night army which has been my side project for a while now.

then September take on a smaller role i.e finish an unfinished force which for me at the moment is cities of sigmar, lumineth or slaanesh be good to then in also have a copy each obr battleforce maybe get a nexus also.

Also if there is a price 😜 rise this year pick up the shrine luminor, fane of slaanesh, bad moon idol, bone-tithe before the rise.

May also look into airbrushes takes so long to models one by one for basic infantry etc.

• Like 1

I got way to many plans for next year.

- Paint more terrain pieces.

- Build and paint more Sylvaneth. Treelord, Warsong Revenant and Alarielle left.

- Finish up my Nighthaunt. Need to finish painting Awlrach and a unit of Bladegheists.

- Build and paint Gorgers vs CoS.

- Build a kitbashed 1k Ironjawz force with wolves instead of boars.

- Buy more gobbos.

Edit:

- Build a Tzeentch warcry warband.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2

My plans this/last/2023 collapsed due to a variety of issues, so my plan looks like this:

aos: 

complete my combination of Slaanesh and Tzeentch chaos horde. 
finish my Tomb Kings/Soulblight Gravelords army with accompanying Flesh Eater Court allies.

kitbash a Daemon Prince for Armies on Parade.

I also plan to craft a decent narrative for the chaos and death armies facing off a Dawnbringer Crusade, but that is a tale for another day…..

Horus Heresy:

Pick up a Knight Lancer and paint it in my home brew Knight House/Forgeworld

40k:

finish my Night Lord CSM squads and raptors/warp talons.

general/misc:

finally make a Forgeworld purchase.

• Like 1

Nice one @Gaz Taylor, here are my plans:

- Warcry. Finish the Hollow Refuge from the Sundered Fate set (nearly there)

- Age of Sigmar. Finish porting my Freeguild heavy Cities of Sigmar army to 3rd edition. (Mainly rebasing, need to paint 13 models).

- Terrain. Paint:

1. 2 x Realmshaper engines (for my Talaxis themed table I am working)
  2. 1 x scatter terrain sprue from Heart of Ghur
  3. 3 x rock spires
  4. Megadroth Remains

Should be very achievable.

• Like 2

Real Life stuff has put a hold to any hobby-related activities, and I'll move soon to another city, in which I'm unsure what community I'll find. I know there's a roleplaying club and a 9th age community, which I don't like but may translate into some ToW players, so there's al least that.

So my plans right now:
-Finnishing painting the Black Orc team for BB, maybe paint the Imperial Nobility team or some other that may catch my eye in the meantime.
- Grab the Old World books. I'm 100% sure I'll get the High Elves box whenever it's released (which might not be 2024) but most factions have the potential to tempt me depending on miniatures or interesting alternative army lists.
- Keep an eye in any skaven release that may pop in AoS, most likely this summer.

It isn't much but if things go well I may be able to get more ambitious as the year goes on.

Best luck to everyone in their hobby plans!

I have a plan of execution for the pile of shame and a New Army adding to it:

Immediate focus: My first objective is to complete my Necrons, they are painted and based but some fine detail is needed and I have room for a single additional character or unit to round it out to 2000 points. I have some terrain that I also want to finish off during this period. I also have Purchased Hunter and Hunted and will try and get the Gorgers done during this time.

Winter: As a Canadian, it is not the best weather for priming so my top priority will be working on Chaos backlog during this time, I have my still unbuilt Chaos Knights for 40k that will need to be magnetized which causes me actual anxiety, and then I have the Slaves to Darkness Army Box (the one that released with chosen and ogroids), Be'lakor, Varanguard and Darkoath Savagers. Once they are built it will hopefully be warmer and I can begin to paint them.

Spring: This is when I can start my Cities in earnest. I will play around with digital test schemes but once the weather improves I will work on building and painting my new army. I just have the Army Box and the Hunter Hunted set so I will slowly build this army throughout the spring. 

Summer: New edition that I will try not to buy, but as a stormcast player I will be very tempted. I will probably wait for the starter set with terrain and then sell off the mice. I will also use this time to maybe build a small board for Warcry and Kill team.

Fall: Last chance to really prime models and start list building and playing the new edition of AOS. I will probably use this time to buy one off purchases to build around rules changes, especially if we get heroes attached to units like in 40K. The one that sticks out is getting some Dracothian Guard to pair with my Lord Celestant on Dracoth.  

Then wintertime, see if there is a good battleforce for cities, chaos space marines or unlikely chaos demons.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

I want to buy less models than I make.

This is the main hope of us all I think haha. 

Nothings set in stone for me in 2024, I have some Ironjawz I want finish from the last release. Leaving my options open for anything shiny and new released. 

I do want to try and improve my greenstuffing skills over the year, as it's part of the modelling process I've just never been much good at. I have a few ideas for more involved conversions I'd like to do to push this. 

• Like 1

In 2023, I decided to do one army, one project only and went with my Space Wolves. This was the single best hobby-related decision, I have made, since I came back to the hobby ten years ago. I became practically immune to GW's marketing, lost my own hobby FOMO, my hobby-expanses dropped drastically, I made real progress on the army, and finished the year with a result I am super-happy with.

After this year's success, I decided to focus only on my Skaven in 2024. So … I'll be around again in the next 12 Months. I'm really looking forward to spending the year with my cute and funny (and scheming and backstabbing, and altogether crazy) little rodents …

• Like 8