Warhammer+ discussion

Lowki

How do you feel about Warhammer +?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will you subscribe?

• No, definately not. It offers nothing or little that I am interested in
    • No definately not. It may have things I would like to have access to, but I don't like to be pressured into it by GW.
    • No, I would like to, but can't afford it
    • No, not for now, but I may change my mind when I have seen it
    • Yes, I have my doubts, but will give it a try
    • yes, because I feel I have no other choice when I want to keep playing the game
    • yes, I love it

Just now, stratigo said:

Too bad you have to buy a physical book to get a bad version of them

Yeah its a big slap in the face really.

GW: we are providing you a digital copy of the codex! only the rules though. But you still need to buy the physical book first, sign onto your My Warhammer account, then input a code to enable it in the app*

*typos and errors may apply

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AaronWilson said:

I won't be investing into this my self, but on the face of it £6 a month seems incredibly good value for what you do get and seems value for money. 

It does seem like ok value. The mini is easily worth £20 (which could be sold if you don't want it), so that's only £30 for the other content. Which is only £2.50 a month. Whilst I'm not wild about the prospect of a new app (mainly cos I like the current one so much), the old WD archive sounds great.

My concern is how international this will be. I'm British but live in Japan. Various streaming services deal with this in different ways.  Netflix is the best. You sign on in any country and if you go somewhere else, it automatically gives you access to that country's netflix. Prime makes you have a separate account for each country. Disney+ is the worst. You need a Disney account and a local mobile phone carrier's account to access it and it only accepts Japanese cards.Also many shows only play in Japanese despite their original language being English.

Warhammer+ throws an extra wrinkle in with the minis. If I sign up to a UK account will they ship the mini to Japan? If I sign up to a Japanese account, will they let me use my British card? Will it be available in Japan at all?

Edited by Chikout

I mostly dislike GW's writing (lore and rules), so it isn't for me.

Glad to see the models so far seem alternate sculpts, not something that would be competetive but paywalled.

If you are interested in both AoS and 40k writing as well as the alternae sculpts, it doesn't seem too bad.

Hmm this disappoints me. 

Buying a physical book really disappoints me. I'm abit of a hippy and like to reduce my environmental impact, have to buy some paper just so i can get a digital copy on my phone.... wow that's backwards? If anything is gonna stop me from getting back into the hobby it is this one single issue. 

I don't love them taking a reasonable priced option and bundling it with things i don't want. Like "free models" don't mean much to me when i know it cost them $5 or less to get it to me.  Folks say it's a 20/30dollar value but anything above five bucks is artificial value. 

The forced multi app for many books is gonna really suck. Anyone that bought the book in app is kinda screwed??? Unless there is a fix for this??? (been away for a year so forgive me for missing things). 

Lastly, the implementation is really a bother?? It's not out yet right?? They said they'd make a 40k app when they reset the game. They said it was on the way soon, and it only just came out. I like playing out of the apps or at least ebooks having to wait an unknown time seem very poorly timed and miss managed.  Even more so if it's a "free beta." 

I'm excited to try it when it does exist to see if it is worth the extra $3-4 a month

Do you think the Broken Realms rules and 2.0 battletomes will be free in the new AoS app with a subscription? Considering Psychic Awakening and 8th Edition codexes are availbable in the WH40K app for subscribers.

3 minutes ago, Bayul said:

Do you think the Broken Realms rules and 2.0 battletomes will be free in the new AoS app with a subscription? Considering Psychic Awakening and 8th Edition codexes are availbable in the WH40K app for subscribers.

That's interesting. Are the full codices of 8th Edition WH40K available in that app or just the rules bits?

3 minutes ago, Christopher Rowe said:

Are the full codices of 8th Edition WH40K available in that app or just the rules bits?

I guess it's just the rules. I have WH40K app installed. The (locked) tabs appear to only show datasheets, stratagems, weapons etc. It's extensive though.

• 1 month later...

Want a £10 Voucher? Subscribe to Warhammer+ in August and It’s Yours! - Warhammer Community (warhammer-community.com)

Subscribe to Warhammer+ by Tuesday the 31st of August and in October you’ll get a £10 online voucher to spend on games-workshop.com

The service launches with the following content:
Episodes 1-3 of the Warhammer animated anthology, Hammer and Bolter
Episode 1 of the Warhammer animation Angels of Death
Access to the Warhammer Vault
Premium access to the Warhammer 40,000: The App
Two episodes of Battle Report
Two episodes of Citadel Masterclass

Every Wednesday will see new content added. The Loremaster series will also be joining the service from Wednesday the 1st of September, followed by Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App later that month.

Edited by Gareth 🍄

The impression I am getting is that they've spent a ton of money getting wh+ started. They've hired lots of people and invested a lot into opening entirely new divisions in their company that don't do the main thing the company does (ie. make models, write rules and stories for the models).

This level of investment creates significant risk and instability, and they are doing it in the middle of an already unstable period of ongoing disruption to their main product releases. They have messed up every single release in the past two years except Dominion.

They've propped up wh+ as a Big New Thing and they obviously need it to be a big success but they dont seem confident it will be... and I cant blame them, its a niche service in a niche market. It's competing with free videos on Youtube. They are cannibalizing the free painting guides they have been releasing for years. I dont think something like this could succeed outside a brand as big as Star Wars. They obviously want Warhammer to be a powerful brand but it's nowhere near the level needed to carry this kind of service to a profit.

They must know that wh+ is not going to be the resounding success that they need it to be to justify their investment, since two days before launch they're giving away store vouchers to try to pump up those early numbers. It's not hard to predict that they wont make back their investment for a long time, and for a few years they'll keep doubling down on their initial loss in hopes that it will turn a profit eventually.

I don't think it will ever become profitable but it will stick around because GW really wants to be Disney and they think Warhammer can be the next Star Wars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I don't think it will ever become profitable but it will stick around because GW really wants to be Disney and they think Warhammer can be the next Star Wars.

I suspect it will be profitable as it’s actually quite a bargain for what you get and some of the shows are what they do already. They’ve just gone to the next logical step to support their models and games. I think the big push is to get people to sign up rather than wait for more content.

I imagine they want Warhammer to be as big as Star Wars but I also imagine they know their brand and that they are nowhere mature enough in this area. It’s all supporting what they sell already.

Personally I’m not signing up straight away because I like to watch stuff like this on my TV and limited to using the apps on the TV/Set Top Box and Console. My TV is a bit too old for casting to and I’m not a massive fan of Chromecasts. 

• Like 2

I think its for two reasons, pumping up those initial sub numbers with 2 months "free" (thatll also spike sales in Octoberish anyway ;) ) and also hooking a few people who wont recall being subbed and leave the payments running anyway, which is a non trivial source of income on subscriptions and the like.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I think its for two reasons, pumping up those initial sub numbers with 2 months "free" (thatll also spike sales in Octoberish anyway ;) ) and also hooking a few people who wont recall being subbed and leave the payments running anyway, which is a non trivial source of income on subscriptions and the like.

I'm thinking the voucher is a really clever bit of promotion and financial money shifting.  From our perspective, we get two months free (or a year for £40), making it almost a no-brainer to try out.

From GW's perspective it minimises risk by quite a bit.  The sign up should be higher and they get the money up front - vouchers don't go out until October, so that "outlay" get's deferred - plus a £10 is likely worth under half that price if they remove any form of product mark up.  Most of us will also chuck in another tenner to get free postage when we spend it (and let's be honest we'll count it twice and go "I'm getting £20 of stuff for £10 - woohoo!" as well as "I'm getting two months free!")

• Like 2

• Subscriber

£10 voucher + the exclusive mini isn't that far off the price of a years subscription really. Especially if you're not planning on keeping the mini and can sell it on and get a good price for it.

To start with I think it's certainly worth a try. My only concerns are how the smart TV app will work, as ideally I want to be watching it on my big screen, especially the animation. Things like having the ability to login using a code on the TV on the phone app, rather than having to enter username and password on a TV interface, will show how much they've thought about and invested in the app side. 

I wonder how open they will be about their subscription numbers and viewing figures? Like some services, it could have a large spike to start with and then a slow decline, followed by price increases as they try to keep up the same revenue. I guess unlike pure streaming services, they have the exclusive minis to drive subs each year. 

29 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

To start with I think it's certainly worth a try. My only concerns are how the smart TV app will work, as ideally I want to be watching it on my big screen, especially the animation. Things like having the ability to login using a code on the TV on the phone app, rather than having to enter username and password on a TV interface, will show how much they've thought about and invested in the app side. 

100% agree with this. From some of the replies I’ve seen so far from the Warcom team, I’m assuming they are piggybacking off some other services rather than something specific by themselves. For me this is a big stopper for me and the only thing stopping me signing up. 

31 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

I wonder how open they will be about their subscription numbers and viewing figures? Like some services, it could have a large spike to start with and then a slow decline, followed by price increases as they try to keep up the same revenue. I guess unlike pure streaming services, they have the exclusive minis to drive subs each year. 

I don’t think we will see number of subscriptions but I would guess there will be info in the half yearly/annual reports. I would expect most subscriptions to be a yearly one as you save a couple of months and you will be getting a voucher. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

11 minutes ago, japaricio said:

It is already live since morning UK time. Not much content for AOS as expected and they lack a more useful way to navigate in the Vault.

Hmmm maybe I'm being blind, but I checked the Google Play store and cannot see the app to download. How are you accessing it?

Here's the stuff in the Vault so far: Warhammer Vault (warhammer-vault.com)

I hadn't purchased much of this stuff at all so I reckon I've got a decent amount to look through for the money (compared to if I'd bought it all individually), before the next batch of content is added.

BTW when I subscribed they auto-refunded me the app subscription fee I'd paid this month.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 1