General Lumineth Realm Lords Rules Discussion

17 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

The issue with the hurikaans pile in isn't piling in from 6" away and fighting (I don't think they have access to that), it's the fact they don't need to pile in towards the closest model, which means they can pile out of combat.

The battalion counting them as having charged even when they havent means they can pile out 6" even when your opponent charges them, which puts them out of harms way from almost everything in the game. Its like the old skink/fury ability to retreat instead of fight.

Oh absolutely, and it's especially relevant with Lumineth because they can choose two units to fight at the same time. My beef was that a 6" pile-in without needing to be in engagement range is incredibly abusable for pinning units (and free moves in general in the enemy turn are wonky) especially on something that reduces pile-in ranges. Luckily, that isn't the case as I now know. Still a strong ability, just not as strong. 

The main problem is still the whole 12" move at the end of the opponents' (and your own) shooting phase, and thankfully I'm 99% sure it isn't intended. Change that to just happening in friendly Shooting phases and I'm happy, because if a lot of my armies have little counterplay to the current interpretation, I can only imagine what it'd be like for some other armies. 

Edited by Jaskier

40 minutes ago, madmac said:

Are you really asking why the Monkey King reference has an ape mask? Really?

Does the hurakan dude wear a facemask? Doesn't look like it, he just seems to wear a half-helmet. I have no idea why his aelf face/eyes would look simian, irregardless of the reference. He just looks terribly stupid. But whatever, happy you like it! 👍

I would  play a bit before having an strong opinion, but appart from Sevireth, I'm fine with everything (I prefer this second wave than the first one, by a mile). 

My only issue is playing vs Sevireth with a full cavalry list (jaws of mork, stalliarch lords, hammerhall charging units, etc...) or maybe a full melee build (Glogg's Megamob, Khorne mortals, etc...) or anything like that. It will not be fan, BUT I'm pretty sure that Sevireth is not as toxic as Zilfin (1drop+WLV), IDK eelspam+turtles, good ol'Tzeentch, etc... 

I can't wait to see the first battle-reports and I hope to see more crazy rules in bew battletomes too!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The new Vanari Bladelords can become battleline (one unit will be battleline for each SCINARI HERO in your army). There is nothing written about "battleline in your LRL army".

Ellania and Ellathor can be used as allies in any army that has an ORDER general. These are SCINARI.

Does this mean you can have a unit of Bladelords as battleline in ANY army that has an ORDER general?

54 minutes ago, Hannibal said:

The new Vanari Bladelords can become battleline (one unit will be battleline for each SCINARI HERO in your army). There is nothing written about "battleline in your LRL army".

Ellania and Ellathor can be used as allies in any army that has an ORDER general. These are SCINARI.

Does this mean you can have a unit of Bladelords as battleline in ANY army that has an ORDER general?

Nop. Only in Settler's Gain (and you can put another less expensive scinari) because only the Twins can be in other armies. The Bladelords will nit be allowed to be taken by, for example, KOs. And even if you could take them as allies, allied units can't be battleline nor warlords for your army.

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

Even if Battleline wouldn't be Lumineth Realmlords only, they wouldn't be Battleline in most armies except for a "Grand Alliacne Order" Army, because most of the time they will be allies, and allies never count towards minimum Battleline.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, madmac said:

Sure, but whereas older Skinks were high-body count throwaway units that could be resummoned in every turn, Windrunners are expensive (130 points) fragile (2 wounds, 5+ save) units that still have to be activated first in combat in order to get away, which can be a tough choice if the LRL player is fighting or being forced to fight on multiple fronts.

They have a lot of movement trickery but it's all they do, really.

You're making the implication that I don't think old skinks were a problem. Invalidating your opponent's phases is NPE (its why magic doms are NPE). For someone playing against hurikan if you can't fight first your 2nd and 3rd combats can be invalidated.

130 points for windchargers is a steal, they're fast objective nabbers and screens in an army that has traditionally been quite slow. Games are often won on movement trickery. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, rosa said:

For me it is quite simple.

AOS is not my life and it is supposed to generate fun and not stress.

I just made the decision to refuse to play against LRL and also against Idoneth.

And if GW continues to write such bad rules I simply will quit playing overall.

This is not a threat. GW will be well without me. I know that. It's just that I don't want to spend time on something that is not fun FOR ME personally.

I so enjoy the models... I really love what GW is doing there... But the rules. Oh my.

Pretty much my point of view. :)

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

You're making the implication that I don't think old skinks were a problem. Invalidating your opponent's phases is NPE (its why magic doms are NPE). For someone playing against hurikan if you can't fight first your 2nd and 3rd combats can be invalidated.

130 points for windchargers is a steal, they're fast objective nabbers and screens in an army that has traditionally been quite slow. Games are often won on movement trickery. 

I'm saying they're much less powerful for objective stealing than old skinks were. Much much less.

That's not to say they're going to be useless. But trying to imply they are OP at this point is crazy talk.

As for objectives, you are still only getting 5 bodies for those 130 points, on large bases to boot, and while they can dance around beautifully, their ability to push other units off objectives is going to be quite limited.  They'll be good mostly for grabbing distant unguarded objectives, not so much securing contested ones.

• Like 1

I am still curious how much of these new rules have been designed with 3.0 in mind and how that will reflect our community's relationship to that edition. I still think that LRL will invariably suffer the fate of Idoneth, Maggotkin and Legions of Nagash a relic of the transition from one edition to the next. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Even if Battleline wouldn't be Lumineth Realmlords only, they wouldn't be Battleline in most armies except for a "Grand Alliacne Order" Army, because most of the time they will be allies, and allies never count towards minimum Battleline.

I don't know why you would want to take them, but this means they can be battleline in Pilgrim's Rest

36 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I am still curious how much of these new rules have been designed with 3.0 in mind and how that will reflect our community's relationship to that edition. I still think that LRL will invariably suffer the fate of Idoneth, Maggotkin and Legions of Nagash a relic of the transition from one edition to the next. 

Compared to those two books LRL had a lot of options for all phases of the game so I would think they will always habe something good.  At the same time I guess you never know what to expect from a new edition.

• Like 1

I'm not too bothered by any of the new stuff (besides the obvious typo that allows the fox to move 12" in the opponent's shooting phase, and if that isn't a typo and is intended: LOL GW) except giving Teclis a whole new spell lore, which has a teleport in it. Why on earth did GW think that LRL needed a teleport, and moreover, one that can be autocast and that even works on units currently in combat? I honestly cannot understand the thinking behind this one at all, and I challenge anyone to make a serious argument that LRL of all factions needed this. 

23 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

I'm not too bothered by any of the new stuff (besides the obvious typo that allows the fox to move 12" in the opponent's shooting phase, and if that isn't a typo and is intended: LOL GW) except giving Teclis a whole new spell lore, which has a teleport in it. Why on earth did GW think that LRL needed a teleport, and moreover, one that can be autocast and that even works on units currently in combat? I honestly cannot understand the thinking behind this one at all, and I challenge anyone to make a serious argument that LRL of all factions needed this. 

I mean, why on earth did the spell Total Eclipse have to be created?

Why can any scinari wizard give up their first turn cast (when they often aren't doing anything anyway) to automatically cast it (on a 9 for good measure. I mean, ir COULDN'T just be on the spells flat cost, it HAD to be on a 9+, requiring 10+ to even try to unbind...)?

Why do LRL get a full page of Allegiance abilities, then every keyword gets a further 1/3 of a page of EXTRA abilities... and then sub faction extra abilities?

Edited by BadDice0809

22 minutes ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

Except Blissbarb Seekers have more wounds, have more shots with a chance to cause mortal wounds and can survive in melee when compared to the Windchargers. The 4 wounds also help them generate depravity points.

True. The last point esp. 

Yet the MW output of 5 is 1 on average, they hit worse and as mentioned have no synergies (army wide issue).
I personally value the movement shenanigans more than a bit of damage :) however Slaanesh is overpriced anyways maybe the LRL Kangaroos are an indicator concerning the price of Blissbarb Seeker after a points update? 🤔