Lumineth Aesthetics

Lumineth Aesthetics  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the Statement(s) that most apllie(s) to you. Multiple choice is possible.

• I like the Lumineth Aesthetic and/or collect the army now, or plan to collect it in the future.
    • I liked the Pointy Aelves Video but quit when the first Models where revealed.
    • I liked where the Release was going but quit when the Alarith ( Battle-Cattle, Hammer-Aelves, Stonemage) showed up.
    • I quit when there was no hope of Tyrion (and his forces) coming any time soon.
    • I bought a few Models but then lost Interest in the Army.
    • I liked the Models but disliked the lore and decided against collecting the Army.
    • I like 50% of the Model Aesthetics but not the other 50%.
    • other reasons

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/08/2021 at 11:00 PM

I picked the first option as a really like the Lumineth range. I am not collecting them currently but I would gladly do so... but they are sadly one of the more expensive armies. 

My thoughts in terms of Aesthetics:
I Love: the majority of Heroes, Wardens, Dawnriders, and Stoneguard.
I Like: Sentinels and Spirit of the Mountain
I Dislike: Teclis (the Celennar is dope)

I think that the heroes are all great (Eltharion is on of the greatest GW models of all time) and I love the majority of the basic units. I am not crazy about the Sentinel's Composite bows and although the Spirit of the Mountain is an amazing model I feel it is somewhat a little too busy. The Celennar is amazing and I would love to use it in one of my armies as a proxy but Teclis is just floating there in an embarrassing pose... I dunno it feels oddly fitting for him to be in such a dorky pose.  

• Like 1

The miniatures are beautiful, albeit too detailed (GW's worst sin). I don't know how someone could dislike them, unless having a fixated idea of what they should look like.

That's completely fine of course, and I understand some high elf veterans might want different things. However, if we just focus on the outlook I think the sculpts are very pretty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In general i dislike every single helmet. The traditional Winged cone helmets were to me a huge (pun non intended) part of the High Elf identity and it is gone in favor of generic "historical lite" helmets on the Vanari and the really bizarre Alarith ones.

I own some Lumineth but do not really feel like actually building a full army. Hope that the new wave of models change that

Will go unit by unit:

Wardens:  Really like the spear formation they make. Look pretty on the table.  Have the helmet issue i mentioned above.

Sentinels: They are ok. Same helmet issue. Would rather have no helmets or traditional ones. Would prefer a kit "more posable" like sisters of the watch. instead of the monopose we see tru most of the Lumineth line (minus Alarith hammers)

Dawnriders: They look pretty, but they replaced my favorite kit, the Dragon Blades and so far no replacement for the excelent Dragon Noble.

Alarith Stoneguard: This guys look awesome. Until you get to the awfull helmets.  You can spin around all sorts of lore shenennigans for those helmets be funcional or have some sort of balance. They dont.

They ruin the shape, movement and balance of the models. A shame, they would look great otherwise. Even the lower part of the helmets look good.

The heroes:

Eltharion is flawless. I wish the units had his visual indentity. He looks cool but lonely in the army (both as a model and a warscroll that have no sinergy with the rest of the line)

Cathallar : This model have a lot of ups and down for me. Her face, veil and dress are pretty, but i cant get my head around that thing she has over hers. It is a huge solid looking metal bar that contrast with the delicate rest of the model. Even the new artwork for the RPG cant shake off that feel.  I dont get what it is suposed to be or represent and the model look so much better without it.

Her hands and feet look to big to me.

The burner thing is really close to her veil and make me go "look out lady you gona burn yourself pretty bad!".

That said is a model i will probably buy one day and convert the things i like.

Alarith Stonemage: Look great until you reach the bizarre helmet. Her/his ( i reall really dont know) face is also strange. If this was the only Alarith with Horns it would make some sense considering her/his pose .

The Cows: I dont like the entire Alarith visual identity, but i think the generic Cow is miles ahead of Avalenor. Avalenor expression look a bit "derpy" to me for a lack of a better word and his weapons and pose are weired and not imposing to me. Someone made a conversion that made him look up and it improved the model a lot imo.

The generic cow on the other hand looks more peacefull, contemplative and more powerfull with the 2 handed hammer. I think it fits better with Lumineth.

Annnnd Teclis:  Oh boy.... I am  more of a painter/collector than gamer myself. I like all GW big AoS Gods models. Morathi made me start a DoK army and i got Allarielle because i love the model. If given the oportunity i would grab a Nagash because he is also really cool . I am not into Chaos but i respect the art on Archeon.

When Teclis artwork was released, i felt in love. he is in a Idoneth aspect pose and very dinamic. I waited since AoS 1.0 for this guy and the model came... oh boy...

Cellenar is cool. If he was alone as a behemoth for Lumineth, i would have the model.

Teclis on the other hand feel out of focus on his own model. He is not centered, is on a weired pose that i dont get what was the intention. 

His body apears to be streched like when you try to lift a cat when holding its front legs. The face on his art looks like the face of the Idoneth Eidolon but on his model he looks triangular, almost alien like.

Teclis is kinda jumping/leaning foward as if going to face something in contrast to Cellenar serene pose. What is going on here? 

As a comparison, Katrakos, that also have extras on his base, is way more coherent. Everyone on his model look like they belong far away on the field, on a command post. Would look weired if one of the skeletons were freaking out as if in Battle.  It composes a scene, while Teclis does not.

Last Sword made its Teclis recently and is good of a comparison on the point i am making:

The elf is walking down, peacifully and so is the sphinx. Both apear to be intelectuals discussing some issue. Both also apear to be out of combat but are still imposing. They compose a scene, and in my opinion Teclis doesnt.

And i wont even bother talking about the silly helmet.

1.jpg?token-time=1610933957&token-hash=2UOdGDhrhEEkEiphMX8kNmN3cpz7NaDKQwfPUwov99I%3D

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, marke said:

The miniatures are beautiful, albeit too detailed (GW's worst sin). I don't know how someone could dislike them, unless having a fixated idea of what they should look like.

That's completely fine of course, and I understand some high elf veterans might want different things. However, if we just focus on the outlook I think the sculpts are very pretty.

100% agree with that.  Btw, nobody needs to auto-convince itself (nobody will try to change your opinion btw). Move on, it's fine that you don't like them. 

15 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Needs "I wasn't hot on the army until the battle cattle arrived" to balance it out. :D

(Certainly was my stance on it. Living armor was good but bull helm priests & walking mountains are glorious.)

That's a very good point, as @LuminethMage  said also! I feel a bit dumb for not looking left and right. 😅
Nevertheless it is really interesting to see what everyone likes and dislikes.

13 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

May I suggest a different poll?

Do you like Lumineth: yes/no then reasons in the post.

I did not want it to be too polarizing and chose these multiple choice answers to get a picture of "when people quit the Hype" - but it was not thought through.

9 hours ago, Lavieth said:

I think the model range is fantastic  and I love the Alarith minis as well. I dont understand why so many people have an issue with their helmets. They are distinctive and make them stand out. Honestly, I fell they are a nice call back to the Phoenix Guard, who, may I add also have overly large helmets that represents their temple.  But I dont hear anyone  complaining about those models

Interesting point about the Phoenix Guard - Nostalgia can be a strong "force".

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was extremely interested by the initial release, wavered a bit when the alarith system-shock hit, but ultimately still collected them and am very grateful that I did. The bull-helmets on the stoneguard remained a bridge too far for me (I love the design of the helmet itself, and I love the design of the bull ornamentation, I just don't care for them together.) Still, I got the models and made them work (and really like them.) The Alarith Mountain Spirit was a solid win, and the lore really helped sell the look for me.

I was initially disappointed with the uniformity of the model poses, but really came to appreciate that design choice once I started assembling and painting them. I found the sense of discipline and synchronization amongst the basic troops to be extremely pleasing, while the more unique and individual poses of the alarith definitely set them apart as something  unique within the army (not that they needed all that much help :P).

Teclis's pose was definitely a letdown, especially after his amazing artwork, but nowhere near enough of a letdown to turn me against the model. Not perfect, but I'm  more interested in Tyrion anyway, so Teclis having a less-than-stellar pose is fine by me. It's still a cool model, and Celenar looks amazing.

I have three Eltharions, and might still pick up a fourth. One for my army and the rest just so I can paint them differently. Enough said there.

The price . . . the price was rough. But I just looked at the army, determined what I really wanted, set limits, and then started collecting slowly from there.

Final analysis: I haven't played the army and worry that they may prove too much of an NPE for my friends (I only play casually), but I've found the models incredibly gratifying to collect and paint, even if - or perhaps because - they can present quite a challenge. When I saw the tease of two move models/units for the range, I was thrilled. This faction's a keeper for me.

• Subscriber

I can't see myself ever collecting them, some of the forces look ok, but some really put me off, plus I don't think I'd be able to pull off painting the clean crisp style that that need. 

The cavalry, archers, line troops are all really nice apart from the over the top hats on some. The big cow monsters while technically good really don't do it for me. 

I'm interested to see what else they have, but still can't see myself going for them, unless Tyrion is a big firey phoenix god. 

1 hour ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

That's a very good point, as @LuminethMage  said also! I feel a bit dumb for not looking left and right. 😅
Nevertheless it is really interesting to see what everyone likes and dislikes.

I did not want it to be too polarizing and chose these multiple choice answers to get a picture of "when people quit the Hype" - but it was not thought through.

Interesting point about the Phoenix Guard - Nostalgia can be a strong "force".

Nothing to feel dumb about. It was just not what interested you. I could always make my own poll : ) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Nothing to feel dumb about. It was just not what interested you. I could always make my own poll : ) 

Thanks =) We need more aesthetic polls in my opinion. :D
I think many of you know Warhammer Weekly, in this Episode Vince outdid himself and made a survey about AoS Aesthetics the interesting point here is Group Percpetion and Individual Perception and group percption as perceived by the individual (if this makes sense lol)
Have a look if you are intrigued, it starts around 47 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53004peUBmU

• Like 1

I also want to mention the thoughts of my small gamming group. Everyone cracks wise about the cowboys but no one dislikes them. However, our resident Duardin player really plays up his part, in disliking all Aelves. Amusingly one friends, who like me wishes to collect Lumineth but is somewhat daunted by the price point, almost exclusively loves the Alarith models. He finds the rest to be a simply less unique reimagining of High Aelves. Whereas I find Wardens to be the coolest infantry in the game and dawn riders to be the best cavalry. Although I share his love of stoneguard and their bold fashion.

I think as more temples release and the animal theme is better integrated the Althari will be less of a juxtaposition. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I think as more temples release and the animal theme is better integrated the Althari will be less of a juxtaposition. 

Definitely agreed. A menagerie of animal armored light aelves marching with their multitude of animal helms and realm beast companions like a Hysh parade in reverence to the spirits with the vanari forming a central shining anchor for the army will look fantastic when we see every temple.

Another factor I think will help is just Hysh native releases in general. People are calling the Lumineth hats eccentric but that is just how the realm of light rolls as everything there is symbolism manifested with no subtlety. You can see it with the tall hat wizard in the corebook and the Hysh chaos warband Cypher Lords practically wearing solar panel hats to reflect this.

When we get other forces from there and people see the realm of light is just the place you go when you Really want your headwear to standout it'll be rather enlightening. ;)

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

20 hours ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

I am a big fan of the Lumineth aesthetic.

I like the more traditional holy trinity of rank and file (line, cavalry and archers) of the Vanari, and I adore the Alarith even more.  The Alarith are a rare instance of sophisticated elegance not usually given to fantasy four core elements: earth.  As for the teasers, there isn't much to work with, but I lean toward enjoying them more than not with what little of their is revealed.

That's what I like about the Lumineth.  Even with such a small collection of models, they cover the standard fantasy army units while at the same time they include some of the more daring models of all of AoS that attempt to distance itself from generic fantasy.  So the faction can both have its feet on the ground while also having its head in the clouds.  Literally, when that cloud riding model is released. 

My big concern is that the Lumineth is a highly compartmentalized faction consisting of at least six elements (Teclis, Mountain, Cloud, River, Zenith and Tyrion) at its conception.  While I am sure the faction will retain some cohesion, it may very much feel like a mini-Grand Alliance of aevles.   I get the feeling that each elemental aspect is likely going to be rather thin and consists of about 3-5 units in total (about what the Alarith have now).  On the other hand, I think the Teclis and Tyrion elements could be expanded to be rather robust parts if not separate but at very least when combined.

So that extreme I enjoy may prove to make them somewhat irritating to other players at least in terms of potential model releases.  I personally have no doubt that the Lumineth will become a popular faction as more high elf throw-back units materialize.  I am concerned that this may lead to elemental aspects falling to wayside though.  All the while, annoying other faction players as they perceive the Lumineth hogging more than its fair share of model releases.  Which is already happening despite the Lumineth having a notably small initail release.

I don’t think the elemental aspect will fall away. It looks like that’s something they are proud of, if you look at the prominence of Ymetrica, and how the Alarith were made into the centerpiece of their first release. They can also tie-in releases with both (elementals plus high elves). We might even see it already this time - Wind Temple units and Blademasters. 

But of course that could all change, if the elemental units don’t sell, or there is a change in the “lore team” team etc.

If they stick with the theme through a Tyrion release, the elemental aspect is probably here to stay. That would be the biggest opportunity to do something totally different if they want to. They pretty much left the door open for that, with tying the Temples closer to Teclis.

• Like 1

Well between them saying on the podcasts they want the Alarith to be the "face" of the Lumineth (thus their position on the tome cover art) and how the Alarith units (hammers & mountains) were near the top of their best sellers list for months I think they're pretty safe. :)

Certainly lots of people loved them enough to make some rather brilliant fanart with positive reception.

https://mobile.twitter.com/laylowthetyrant/status/1245213306073149441

"Regina Reforged

Tonight I did some Lumineth Fanart of the Stoneguard. I was really inspired by the Alarith that were recently revealed, and I'm wondering whether I'll stick with them or do the River Temple when that gets fully revealed! Hope you guys like it! #ageofsigmar #warhammercommunity"

EUfit_kUYAAYKeL?format=jpg&name=900x900

(Also give her other art a look over too. Some great AoS stuff there. :D )

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

8 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

In general i dislike every single helmet. The traditional Winged cone helmets were to me a huge (pun non intended) part of the High Elf identity and it is gone in favor of generic "historical lite" helmets on the Vanari and the really bizarre Alarith ones.

Im with you.

I really dont think the lumineth are ugly,but......i like so much more the old elfs than this.

Dragon blades are a 10\10 when the new cavalry is a 6\10

Lothern guard is a 8\10,the new lancers a 7\10

Sisters of the watch or shadows are a 8\10 and new archers a 7\10

White lions,swordmasters or phoenyx are a 9\10 and new hammerers are 8\10

Phoenyx are a 10\10 but the cow is a 4\10

Dragonlord a 8\10 and teclis a 2\10

In my opinion lumineths are better made and more dinamic,but have uglier aesthetical than old elfs.

But im a fan of warhammer end of times and age of reckoning game estetical so even if i have fyreslayer, i also have dispossesed and for me disposessed are so much better than kharadrons or fyreslayers

Because it has come up a few times here, I dont think Dawnriders are meant to replace Dragon Princes, but instead the Silver Helms of old. Dawnrider are not a super elite group of nobles but just another kind of Vanari. They are meant to cut down light infantry. Which is different to the elite,  heavily armed and hard hitting cavalry like the Dragon Princes. Im sure their equivalent will arive later with a more Tyrion focused release. 

• Like 2

I don’t collect Lumineth Realm-lords, but I don’t think they are ugly. I like Teclis, Eltharion and Battle-cattle a lot, and I think the  design of the entire army is cohesive (I wish if it was even more extreme). In my opinion, part of the problem with people disliking the models comes from either sticking to the idea that they should be similar (or equivalent) to the  High Elves of the Old World (which they are not) or that these models are not “Elvish” enough (because some units are using hammers, and not spears/halberds/swords and Elves also don’t hang out with giant cows). I personally heard this complaint about the weapons from people that I usually play with - it seems that they have a very specific view on how an Elf should fight (probably based on how Elves were described in other games and fantasy literature). Personally, I don’t mind GW trying something new when it comes to fantasy stereotypes. 

Edited by Painbringer
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

30 minutes ago, Painbringer said:

I don’t collect Lumineth Realm-lords, but I don’t think they are ugly. I like Teclis, Eltharion and Battle-cattle a lot, and I think the  design of the entire army is cohesive (I wish if it was even more extreme). In my opinion, part of the problem with people disliking the models comes from either sticking to the idea that they should be similar (or equivalent) to the  High Elves of the Old World (which they are not) or that these models are not “Elvish” enough (because some units are using hammers, and not spears/halberds/swords and Elves also don’t hang out with giant cows). I personally heard this complaint about the weapons from people that I usually play with - it seems that they have a very specific view on how an Elf should fight (probably based on how Elves were described in other games and fantasy literature). Personally, I don’t mind GW trying something new when it comes to fantasy stereotypes. 

I havent heard / read that complain as much. I think the most common complain is that the helmets look silly, followed by stuff on the hammers and about poses (Teclis).  I have to say, the hammers do look like crocket mallets.

3343863d706012c00d3d480048705b66.jpg

alarith+stoneguard.jpg

• Haha 2

I like the more classic half of the army, the cathaller, light of eltharion, spear units (though spears are way too fragile), bow units and cavalry. Don't mind the stone mage. Don't really like the battle cattle, but the two handed hammer dudes just can't wear those helmets and use their weapons.

Most offputting is price.

It is from old warhammer fantasy lore,dwarfs used hammers or axes and NEVER swords and elfs used swords and lances but never hammers.

Hammers was a dwarf weapon and sword for elfs in fantasy lore so it is pretty hard to see elfs with hammers as if now gw release a new dwarf army with longswords and myself would see it weird

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Doko said:

It is from old warhammer fantasy lore,dwarfs used hammers or axes and NEVER swords and elfs used swords and lances but never hammers.

Hammers was a dwarf weapon and sword for elfs in fantasy lore so it is pretty hard to see elfs with hammers as if now gw release a new dwarf army with longswords and myself would see it weird

Are you sure about that?

img44e3ca2235b85.jpg.2fe56ce3e782e0176cd423ff73b32ff5.jpgunnamed.jpg.7ec4785f068b859910fb13d2585c7e18.jpg

Plenty of Dwarfs with swords. 
We also had both elves and dwarfs with axes in Warhammer. So its not like they were always the opposite from each other. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like the Lumineth aesthetic overall.

My main issue with them is that, for some reason, GW decided to make them all hulking aelven giants. The whole range is scaled about 10-20% too large - they tower over the "classic" aelves from the Cities of Sigmar, and are closer in stature to Stormcast. It's really off-putting.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

I like the Lumineth aesthetic overall.

My main issue with them is that, for some reason, GW decided to make them all hulking aelven giants. The whole range is scaled about 10-20% too large - they tower over the "classic" aelves from the Cities of Sigmar, and are closer in stature to Stormcast. It's really off-putting.

Teclis obviously decided He wanted "Bigger Aelves".