Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

3 hours ago, Hollow said:

Well, the Old World "preview" was literally everything I feared it would be. A super low-effort, token gesture cash grab with one or two people working on it. It's been 5 freaking years and that's all they have to show at their first major event post-Covid? Bitterly disappointed, although not surprised. GW makes some incredibly poor decisions across the board when allocating its resources IMO. 

Ikr? It's almost like they lucked into becoming a 40 year, highly profitable success story that dominates market. ;)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Ikr? It's almost like they lucked into becoming a 40 year, highly profitable success story that dominates market. ;)

Yeah. This means they never make any mistakes and everything they do is completely perfect. ;) 

GameWorkshop is not the small company it was years ago. It is completely acceptable to expect to see more regarding a project that has been worked on for years now. Just because the company is successful doesn't mean they aren't leaving money on the table hand over fist. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hollow said:

Yeah. This means they never make any mistakes and everything they do is completely perfect. ;) 

GameWorkshop is not the small company it was years ago. It is completely acceptable to expect to see more regarding a project that has been worked on for years now. Just because the company is successful doesn't mean they aren't leaving money on the table hand over fist. 

TOW is still probably at least 6 months away, if not more and they've shown two brand new new minis, announced a lot of information about how the various armies will be released, and started to provide some concrete information about what we can expect going forwards. Like I don't know what you expected for a game that's that far out but I think they hit the nail exactly right with what they needed to cover about the game this early.

• Like 3

Well, I thought that Warhammerfest would be the venue and opportunity to really step things up a gear, that they would use the first huge event post-Covid (that they have been hyping for months) to actually show something more than 2 character minis in 10 minutes. It was a Warhammer Community article worth of content. My expectations for what GamesWorkshop (as a company with a 2.4 Billion market cap) is capable of are clearly out of whack. I was wrong. No point in moaning though. I think I'll take a step back from TOW and check its development in a few years when they actually have something to show. It's clearly an afterthought for GW and so it will become one for me. Shame. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I've yet to see if this was discussed in the Rumour thread, but just got sent this by a friend. Any thoughts? Seems like TK vs Brets (or any faction vs faction with rules set) is back on the menu.

rif-1682886950262.jpg.3f67e98f5aca18ead4ff11a4e63c67f1.jpg

Ya it was brought up a little. Means the rumored brets v tomb kings is that all the leakers talked about will most likely happen. Just no rules book in it or whatever they consider an official GW starter set lol.

1 minute ago, RyantheFett said:

Ya it was brought up a little. Means the rumored brets v tomb kings is that all the leakers talked about will most likely happen. Just no rules book in it or whatever they consider an official GW starter set lol.

It'd be funny to know what the official definition for starter set in Gamesworkshopese is. For funsies I checked the "not a starter set" HH set and the AoS starter set, and while both have core rules the AoS starter set comes with terrain/cardboard mat and push-fit miniatures (as opposed to traditional glue-is-required ones of HH). Feels in many ways arbitrary, as at least I perceive starter set to mean a box with two opposing forces alongside core rules, but apparently that's not it.

A real shame they didn't show the Q&A on stream, I think it'd have helped with misconceptions like this.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hollow said:

I hear you, and clearly, yes, any biz can make errors. Heck, my current fave, AMG does things all the time that I scratch my head over (come on, your model kits don't include assembly instructions?). I just find it chuckle-worthy when those of us sitting in the bleachers tell Patrick Mahomes he is clueless about throwing the football, so to speak. 

It doesn't mean he'll never throw an interception, but come on, don't we think he knows just a tiny little bit more about being a QB that we do? 

12 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

It'd be funny to know what the official definition for starter set in Gamesworkshopese is. For funsies I checked the "not a starter set" HH set and the AoS starter set, and while both have core rules the AoS starter set comes with terrain/cardboard mat and push-fit miniatures (as opposed to traditional glue-is-required ones of HH). Feels in many ways arbitrary, as at least I perceive starter set to mean a box with two opposing forces alongside core rules, but apparently that's not it.

A real shame they didn't show the Q&A on stream, I think it'd have helped with misconceptions like this.

the 3 tiered sets in aos (and 40K) are starter sets. Don't have the full ruleset or have a pocket version of it, and come with some kind of small terrain (in the cheaper ones just a paper mat and the box works as terrain) and rules to play with what is inside the box.

Horus Heresy box comes with the full hardcover ruleset, so its more similar to Dominion (AoS) or Leviathan (40K). 

The age of darkness box is clearly what we would understand as a "starter box" and Dominion/Leviathan is what we would call now "launch boxes"... but I think this is just a semanthic discussion. The contents are basically the same, but HH one is designed to stay in time (and be the box you buy when you get into HH as a new player), and dominion/leviathan are limited releases aimed towards veteran players that want to dip into the new stuff or starting players that really want to go all in.

So... what would be a Old World "not a starter-box box"? 

If its like HH... 2 armies, the hardcover rulebook and gaming accesories... and most importantly, is something permanent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Gotz said:

the 3 tiered sets in aos (and 40K) are starter sets. Don't have the full ruleset or have a pocket version of it, and come with some kind of small terrain (in the cheaper ones just a paper mat and the box works as terrain) and rules to play with what is inside the box.

Horus Heresy box comes with the full hardcover ruleset, so its more similar to Dominion (AoS) or Leviathan (40K). 

The age of darkness box is clearly what we would understand as a "starter box" and Dominion/Leviathan is what we would call now "launch boxes"... but I think this is just a semanthic discussion. The contents are basically the same, but HH one is designed to stay in time (and be the box you buy when you get into HH as a new player), and dominion/leviathan are limited releases aimed towards veteran players that want to dip into the new stuff or starting players that really want to go all in.

So... what would be a Old World "not a starter-box box"? 

If its like HH... 2 armies, the hardcover rulebook and gaming accesories... and most importantly, is something permanent.

I expect them to be like the Echoes of Doom box and other 2 player Age of Sigmar boxes, where you don’t get scenery, dice, plastic rulers, etc.

Considering in Eddie's statement they don't consider Age of Darkness for Horus Heresy a starter box, then something analogous is likely what we're looking at. Miniatures (some new, some existing), a rulebook, some whippy sticks, some dice and some reference sheets. I think they don't consider it a starter box, as there's no simplified profiles, etc., so you can't actually start playing a game from just the contents of Age of Darkness.

• Like 2

Yeah GW has technical terms for its boxes that nobody else uses, but i think they should have been able to decipher that one on the floor tbh. Though it IS good that they came back and clarified afterwards rather than just ignoring us as usual.

Honestly OW has been promising so much, for so long that the next few months are bound to be a series of disappointing updates as reality dials itself back in and the actual products get launched. Personally i suspect its going to be like Necromunda and only be good after a year or two of releases if you dont have a few armies already set to go. 

Ill see how it is before i start rebasing all my dwarves or start a new army, though doing dogs of war with Warlord Landsknechts and Wargames Atlantic ogres is very tempting...

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Considering in Eddie's statement they don't consider Age of Darkness for Horus Heresy a starter box, then something analogous is likely what we're looking at. Miniatures (some new, some existing), a rulebook, some whippy sticks, some dice and some reference sheets. I think they don't consider it a starter box, as there's no simplified profiles, etc., so you can't actually start playing a game from just the contents of Age of Darkness.

Exactly. No starter box, but a launch box. 

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

Really hoping your dwarves (that are currently) are still playable in Cities by the end of the year.

That is the big question going around. Current rumors is most of the high/wood elves are gone, but the rest is safe for now. Throw in all the humans and that is about half the faction cut/replaced.

At least will finally get the answer to if Cities was really just a place holder army until they were remade/Old World was brought back. Gw may feel safe enough to cut more or say that they will phase out all the old stuff finally and push those players back into Old World

Edited by RyantheFett

I'm now 100% sure that, with Eddie's replies on Twitter, we'll get a launch box.

The only really conflicting informations we have is GW saying "after launch we will focus on Old World (geographically) armies at the Time of the Three Emperors" while saying "Cathay/Chorf will eventually get a release". Kislev is understandable though. 

Honestly the game itself is looking GOOD. Every 8th Edition armies having rules at launch - including Warhammer Forge (Legion of Azgorh) - is great news, even if it's some Compendium PDF.

The only worry of me is "how much NEW plastic can we expect ?". I was quite certain the Tomb Kings Weapons 3D mock-ups we saw was for a Plastic Tomb King kit. But the new Tomb King is resin... (I don't mind resin per se, I have cool Nurgle stuff from Forge World / Warhammer Forge in resin, but I want to see more of GW plastic kit technology applied to The Old World...)

44 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

The only worry of me is "how much NEW plastic can we expect ?". I was quite certain the Tomb Kings Weapons 3D mock-ups we saw was for a Plastic Tomb King kit. But the new Tomb King is resin... (I don't mind resin per se, I have cool Nurgle stuff from Forge World / Warhammer Forge in resin, but I want to see more of GW plastic kit technology applied to The Old World...)

Also a bit of misleading marketing there for the Brets too as the renders under the part taking about new plastics also ended up as a Resin helm instead.
“ In today’s article we’re visiting the armouries of the Old World and giving you a first look at some of the weapons and wargear that can be found in the brand new plastic kits coming for the Kingdom of Bretonnia and the Tomb Kings of Khemri. En garde!”

image.png.90b15acd1d8cd137df937309960cb48f.pngimage.jpeg.1ccf8d93a554858409d8303893db33e8.jpeg

Apparently that “some” had more emphasis on it than one would realize. xD 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Also a bit of misleading marketing there for the Brets too as the renders under the part taking about new plastics also ended up as a Resin helm instead.
“ In today’s article we’re visiting the armouries of the Old World and giving you a first look at some of the weapons and wargear that can be found in the brand new plastic kits coming for the Kingdom of Bretonnia and the Tomb Kings of Khemri. En garde!”

image.png.90b15acd1d8cd137df937309960cb48f.pngimage.jpeg.1ccf8d93a554858409d8303893db33e8.jpeg

Apparently that “some” had more emphasis on it than one would realize. xD 

Tho we know the head is a separate piece so it could still be from the new plastics?

Resin is fine. It's not finecast anymore. It are GW prices for resin that are not so fine. 😉

We have to be realistic, if Bretonnia and Tomb Kings both get one plastic kit, together with their old plastics, metals and extra resin upgrade packs and characters. It would be great. I have since 2 years a 3d printer and I am subscribed to Last Sword Miniatures, Avatars of War and Highland miniatures patreon. Lol, I never had so many cool count as Warhammer figures as I have now.

If they do what they did with Middle Earth (book wise) and give minimal support with the occasional resin kit, I am happy. It will not be for everybody, but hopefully it will be for enough people so GW will keep supporting it and maybe, just maybe more and more people will like the rules and start playing Warhammer: The Old World and than everything is possible. 😄

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, GrimDork said:

Tho we know the head is a separate piece so it could still be from the new plastics?

Lol, that would be a first, but it's certainly possible with forgeworld. As they do resin or plastic upgrade sets for resin or plastic mini's.

13 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Honestly the game itself is looking GOOD. Every 8th Edition armies having rules at launch - including Warhammer Forge (Legion of Azgorh) - is great news, even if it's some Compendium PDF.

Just a thought but while every 8th edition army will have rules at launch, doesn’t mean it will be 8th edition rules. I’m thinking they will step back to a earlier edition that has been tweaked.

13 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I’m not expecting a lot to be honest. I think they will do a character set that will have lots of bits for units but they will just release old kits. And I’m not expecting all kits to appear at the start either. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just a thought but while every 8th edition army will have rules at launch, doesn’t mean it will be 8th edition rules. I’m thinking they will step back to a earlier edition that has been tweaked.

7th edition here we coooooooome

Honestly, I personally consider that the peak of WHFB (okay, mostly due to nostalgia), but I wouldn't say no to some classic "herohammer".

• Like 1