The Great New Army Thread

Overread

Yes we all get those plans in our head of starting a new army, so here's a general mishmash thread to share our ideas and also advise/dissuade/persuade others along the bumpy road of shiny new models! This is for sharing all those great ideas beyond the typical "what's the most points efficient and powerful combo to buy"; and for all those army ideas that might never come to be or might just be lurking around the corner. A nice soundingboard to chat and air out ideas.

Myself my current plan is Bonereapers! The Legion of the Tithe  has caught me with its necron/tyranid/tombking/skeleton warriors styles in a fantasy setting. I'd been interested from the start when they were finally revealed at the Nova recently, but I'd be starting to waver and wonder if I was just struck with the artillery and that the rest weren't really as interesting. Thankfully the leak happened and now GW has confirmed a whole secondwave of models (which has still not shown at least 3 of the models formally - two leaders and terrain feature). The more I see of them the more I am feeling my resolve to begin the Bonereapers at launch cementing and turning into a certain fact. 

It's utterly crushing my Slaanesh plans of getting Keepers or even splicing some Slaves and Warcry purchases into the dust (like the bones of their enemies). 

Right now its hard to make any final choices because prices are totally unknown on anything as are the actual release dates or even the quantity of models in boxes. Plus we've no idea, when it comes to leaders, which of the new might be named (unique) and which are universal; nor their role, points or anything. So right now my plans are very much visually led by the army. 

So going on vision alone and anticipating an infinite budget (lol as if I'd be so lucky);

Cavalry - I really like these and the kits appear to have a neat spread of parts for customising - hopefully things like heads can be inter changed between them. Even if not they are a fine display of modern mounts by GW which hold almost more charm and interest than their riders (a far cry from the old days when most mounts were fairly plain).  I'm also hoping that as they are casually mentioned as the "backbone" of the army they might count as battleline and, for cavalry, be quite cheap (most other cavalry tends to be quite expensive in the game)

The Cavalry leader - its pose is ripped right off the stormcast mounts and I've wanted one of them for a long while, just never had a reason to get one because being stormcast the saddles are far too big for Daughters of Khaine conversions and such. However this mount fits into the army perfectly and is an ideal option to lead the cavalry in the charge (though having said that it will now turn out to be a ranged mage and useless at copying the cavalry :P)

Necropolis Stalkers, the duel arm warriors - really liking these and as GW keeps showing them in trios I'm guessing they are 3 to a box. I'd ideally like to grab two sets so that one can be swords and the other the mighty axes! 

The reassembling leader - thus far only seen in a bit of a preview in the leak; but already I really like the concept of it. Subject to seeing the final version of course in a clear photo, but otherwise this leader looks really characterful and one I'd love to have

The Reaper leader- yep another model full of character and interest. Carrying that blade that looks like it was forged, haft and all, from tormented souls; working its way over the battlefield, ripping and reaping the souls of the living. 

Gothizzar Harvester - the massive construct shown today with its huge carrying capacity for the dead and its multitude of little arms and face that work tirelessly to harvest bones from the field of battle. A behemoth of power and a pure nightmarish monster for the legion. IT also looks like a very varied kit with multiple weapon arms and heads. 

Mortek Crawler - to me the highlight of the army is this. The massive walking catapult and its crew. I loved this just seeing it in the preview videos as a drawn sketch and hoped it would make it to the game and wow it did! Heck I love it so much I'd like to make one a walking platform for Katakros and his aids (provided it can all fit on the right base of course). 

I've not included the great new leader Katakros as for me he's a bit like Keepers and Morathi - a very high priced single purchase to be picked up closer to the end rather than the start. I'm also not as fussed about the regular infantry; not that I dislike them, just that they are not as "interesting". Also I feel safe letting them lag just a little as if any model were to be put in a starting bundle or christmas box then the core infantry would appear. 

• Like 4

I tend to flit from army to army, so what I do is make sure that I come back to an army multiple times before I decide that I actually really want it. 

As of right now that put me at Nighthaunt, Stormcast, Tzeentch and Sylvaneth. Tzeentch was an easy choice, since I have an extensive collection of Thousand Sons and Tzeentch Daemons. It  did not take much to get them AoS ready.

That being said, I am pretty sold on the Bonereapers. I also have a Necron and Tyranid 40k army, so the aesthetic hits home for me. I also enjoy the overall look of the Death armies, and how everything endtimes forward fits together really well.

I will probably take my time with this army though. I rushed into Nighthaunt when I should have waited a bit, because I loved the look of the army. This led to some poor purchasing decisions, that I'd like to avoid this round. 

Awesome idea for a thread! 

This is the project I want to start: 

1 - Cthulhu inspired Scourge Privateers army. I wanted to make an Order City focuses on darkness and mystery, and a water borne city of eldritch horror fits the bill. The plan currently is 1000 points, comprised of: 

1. Black Ark Fleetmaster, using the Lokhir model. Mostly I modified, just adding tentacles. 
  2. 2 x 10 Black Ark Corsairs modified with Genestealer tentacles heads. Also have some biomorphed limbs as well for variation.  
  3. 2 x Scourgerunner Chariots, crew modified with whip arms and tentacle heads. Horses modified with Venomthrope parts.
  4. Kharibdyss, no change.
  5. Allied black dragon with Toxicrene parts to have a tentacled flying monster. 
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

One of everything please. It's interesting that we've had so many rumors about "skeleton bowmen" or "horse archers" with this release, but scouring the many photos out now I see no evidence of alternate bow kits. It's likely the catapult will be the lone shooting unit in the army, which is fine, but unexpected.

As much as I love everything so far, I'm holding out hope the rumors of the Ogor vs. Ossiarch battlebox are true. I don't think I could justify to my bank account starting a new army completely from scratch; but I could definitely justify buying a box to bolster my current Ogors, while simultaneously getting some cool bone friends.

I am making the City of Misfit Toys. The concept is as follows. 

1) They released Gotrek.

2)I can't not play with Gotrek

3) I don't have an Order army

4)I do have tons of Elves, Druids, Stormcast, Werewolves, Artillery, Dwarfs, Humans from all the different game systems I've dabbled in.

5) I will see which city in the new book best fits this collection

6) I will use a unified paint scheme and GW bases to bring them together.

7) I will have a fun time making the lore and realms this city fits into work with the mismatched model sources.

😎 I'm just starting Gotrek's first adventure in the Realms but I fully intend to convert up a Maleneth.

Edited by Eldarain
Forgot Maleneth
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

34 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I'll be combining what I have for cities, but I am also kinda waiting for the Kurnothi. I can give my current hosemen a place as centaurs, and convert elves with beastmen for the satyrs, and I really like their style.

I'm of two minds about Kurnothi. On the one hand "Dark Oath" has never become its own army, they didn't (surprisingly) even get a warband of their own in Warcry. Yet they slot into Slaves to Darkness. Kurnothi I wonder if they will slot into Sylvaneth or Free Cities rather than "be their own thing". Don't get me wrong, I'd love a full army as big as Bonereapers and bigger of Kurnothi themed warriors (its the kind of thing that would fully scupper any plans I've got now). I just feel that Underworlds lets Gw creativity play around with different realms and subfactions that they'd like to make but don't have resources to fit into the game. So throw them a bone and give them a little team of varied models who perhaps in 10 years might get an army of their own. And if not they simply retire into the background of the game as a race big enough to matter, but not big enough to be seen on the major battlefields. 

Remembering that the races we play as are bit a tip of the iceburg of races and factions and subfactions and forces in teh realms. Even large factions like Free Cities likely has hundreds of various cities and powerblocks. 

9 hours ago, Overread said:

On the one hand "Dark Oath" has never become its own army, they didn't (surprisingly) even get a warband of their own in Warcry. Yet they slot into Slaves to Darkness.

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I really think Darkoath will just be the next generic marauders within Slaves to Darkness. Because of that I don't think it's too surprising they didn't get a warband, they're not a specific highly realm themed group like all the Warcry gangs. 

My past history of army projects is a woeful tale of snap purchases, regret, reselling and 'time wasting'.

Compounding my ability to get an army painted is my indecision over paint schemes. Armies end up base coloured...then stripped again. 

My initial plan this year was to stick the armies I owned and get them painted. 

This plan did not survive contact with the 'enemy'. 

As with Overread, I adore the OBR stuff we have seen.  None of the Death armies seem so perfect aesthetically.  Then over in 40k we have the upcoming Sisters of Battle...which are perfect in my eyes.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided...tried to anyway...which armies to keep and which were going to meet the Tithe for OBR.

All my Warmachine stuff is being fed into the plastic chipper that is eBay. Half my AoS armies, too.

Wanted to keep it to just three armies. SCE are a must. I usually play evil, horde armies and am fed up with seeing factions like Space Marines getting support in buckets while the armies I play have languished. 

SCE are the poster boys. Good guys. Elite. My only problem with them is getting them painted.

OBR at the time seemed great (and the leaks have only cemented my love of them). A bit less horde. Morghast are my favourite look from GW undead. I have a couple of boxes of them on the way so that I can test paint schemes.

My only dilemma is the third army. I have yet to be able to pick between my Daughters and Bonesplitterz. Both semi-naked religious-types.

Bonesplitterz I love the models - just looking at their toothy maws makes me smile.  Painting them with the new contrast paints has really helped me.get back into the joy of painting.

But...after just forty Orruks I am finding their model selection a bit limited. I mean, I like the difference between stikka wielding boarboys and Maniacs...but in terms of the models it is just a weapon swap out. Adding in IJ models might solve this issue.

Daughters, at least, have a bigger difference in body types. Sure, their dual kits are going to share weapons but half-snek-mommas are visually quite different to regular Witches. And I love dark aelves. Always have done. 

And yet the models aren't quite as good as the Orruks. Just a little too flimsy. I know...aelves are the wrong faction to be critical of that.

My plan at the moment is as follows.

1. Continue to eBay stuff before everyone realises Xmas is nearly here.

2. For Orruks, OBR and Sisters buy only limited edition or likely short-run products at each release. Keeping to funds from 1.

(This should allow me to grab things I might otherwise have blown my cash on in the previous month. Hopefully have funds left.)

3. Play more games with DoK and OWC while I assemble the Tithe and paint my SCE. Decide which nekkied fanatics to keep.

4. Play some games with OBR...as maybe I will love the models but hate the way they play.

5. Decide which two armies to keep, other than the SCE.

6. Paint my AoS armies.

7. Haul the Sisters stuff out of the loft to build and paint.

Edited by Souleater

10 hours ago, Overread said:

I'm of two minds about Kurnothi. On the one hand "Dark Oath" has never become its own army, they didn't (surprisingly) even get a warband of their own in Warcry. Yet they slot into Slaves to Darkness. Kurnothi I wonder if they will slot into Sylvaneth or Free Cities rather than "be their own thing". Don't get me wrong, I'd love a full army as big as Bonereapers and bigger of Kurnothi themed warriors (its the kind of thing that would fully scupper any plans I've got now). I just feel that Underworlds lets Gw creativity play around with different realms and subfactions that they'd like to make but don't have resources to fit into the game. So throw them a bone and give them a little team of varied models who perhaps in 10 years might get an army of their own. And if not they simply retire into the background of the game as a race big enough to matter, but not big enough to be seen on the major battlefields. 

Remembering that the races we play as are bit a tip of the iceburg of races and factions and subfactions and forces in teh realms. Even large factions like Free Cities likely has hundreds of various cities and powerblocks. 

Freeguild can be a bit turtling, and Kurnothi seems quite a different playstyle, so they fit me well.

Not having them come out soon, I don't mind (I will need a few years to tire of the options I'll have with Cities), but they are half of the starter set of Beastgrave, which is a good way for people to get interested. in them, and since Underworld base sets are only around for one year, that would make the most sense.

A few other armies I am drawn to are Slaves to Darkness, BoC, Tzeench, Nighthaunt and Gloomspite Gitz. The first I won't do, because it is not well supported, and I have enough poorly supported models. For Tzeench, the Tsaangors are really nice, as well as the Ogroid Thaumaturge and LoC, but I am not particularely fond of the pink and blue horrors. Nighthaunt is an option, meshes well with D&D use, but will probably just have a few models and leave it at that. Gloomspite might just get a Warcry band, but I don't really want to build and paint everything they have. Meshes well with D&D use as well. (D&D use might well be changed to AoS roleplaying after its release).

Edited by zilberfrid

Assuming that i can get a few projects finished by years end i have a few thoughts for projects in 2020.

Fyreslayers are the only order faction that i don't have a force for, and dwarves are an old favourite so it might be cool to get a small force, probably no more than one of each unit to add as mercs to my other dwarf armies.

Pros: i already have a couple of kits, endless spells, terrain and magmadroth.

Cons: they are expensive, and don't look that easy to paint.

Alternatively i'd like to get a horde of beastmen, so that i can use them for solo campaigns. Beasts are so iconic a threat that they should really feature somehow!

Pros: lots of model variety, rank and file are cheap.

Cons: lots of resin models, not much in bundles.

Finally, I'm kind of tempted by warcry, though I'd likely never get to actually olay it, so would possibly just be getting it for the terrain. I've had an idea for a while to make a chaos army themed around the less popular gods, and cypher lords could make cool aposates of Necoho, with beastmen for zuvassin, and some chaos warriors for malal. We shall see...

I have a load of projects running through my mind right now. 

Finalise current Khorne mortals, but undecided on a chimera and manticore lord

Archaon Khorne list, I have everything but archaon

Khorne murderhost and tyrants of blood

Really tempted by some beasts of chaos to mix in to the khorne mortals

On a different topic I want to make a Slaanesh list with the keepers painted as famous made up rock icons eg ziggy stardust, and the daemonettes as groupies

I need to finish my Idoneth and am quite tempted by the Gotrek model that just came out

I've been waiting for something to push me into starting my first AOS army, and now I have it; Gotrek!

I'm going to put together a Free City army built around the new Gotrek model, make it very fluffy and thematic with my favourite units from across Order. It's going to be partly a painting and collecting project, partly an excuse to throw some dice around at the local shop. 

First step is to pre-order Gotrek, then pre-order the Free Cities book when possible. After that it all depends what appeals to me in the book, but I know I'm going to end up choosing what I like the look of over anything else. Greatswords for sure, probably a mash up of humans, elves and dwarfs. A couple of the Stormcast characters. 

• Like 2

I'm at a point where I have the armies I want, and my painting backlog is almost cleared, I'm more inclined to drop an army than add a new one at this stage.

That said, I am keeping a slot open for a new Elf army. I have deepkin and I love them, but it doesn't really scratch the itch for a more classical elf army.  I picked up a handful of Wanderer/High Aelf models over the last few months to see what I preferred and I was honestly leaning Wanderer, so I'm very keen on Beastgrave, I think Kurnothi could be exactly what I'm looking for.

Otherwise, out of the armies I have, three of them (Ogors, Seraphon, KO) haven't gotten their 2nd edition update yet, so after a long, long year of not getting anything I was waiting for except Fyreslayers hopefully 2020 will be my year.

I was tempted by the Tamurkhan Horde as I like Nurgle, hideous things in general, and Tamurkhan himself. I also tend to get attracted by unpopular things (without taking into account why they are unpopular in the first place lol).In this case is the fact that the range is FW and utterly expensive which throws the project out of the heckin window.

My other temptation/idea is to make a mobile artillery force for Cities of Sigmar, with some Steam Tanks, Outriders and Pistoleers!

Edited by Jymmy

5 hours ago, Shearl said:

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I really think Darkoath will just be the next generic marauders within Slaves to Darkness. Because of that I don't think it's too surprising they didn't get a warband, they're not a specific highly realm themed group like all the Warcry gangs. 

Honestly I think that the warbands we have now will replace the marauder models already. If GW then launches a darkoath group as a neutral group to the pool I'd be happy. The only issue is that at present Iron Golems seem to be by far the best option all round. That said I'd welcome them being a core part of Slaves to Darkness. It binds into the idea of Warcry being like Killteam and I love the idea of them. The bands are varied, dynamic as befits wild cultists and the way they've balanced out the special units within them works really well

Better than banners and musicians (which just look odd if you take more than one of each in a 30 man unit); the specials in warbands fit into the theme really well as repeat options. They blend in and it really works great visually and rules wise. 

3 hours ago, Sputnik said:

I've been waiting for something to push me into starting my first AOS army, and now I have it; Gotrek!

I'm going to put together a Free City army built around the new Gotrek model, make it very fluffy and thematic with my favourite units from across Order. It's going to be partly a painting and collecting project, partly an excuse to throw some dice around at the local shop. 

First step is to pre-order Gotrek, then pre-order the Free Cities book when possible. After that it all depends what appeals to me in the book, but I know I'm going to end up choosing what I like the look of over anything else. Greatswords for sure, probably a mash up of humans, elves and dwarfs. A couple of the Stormcast characters. 

I love this idea and hope you get to put it together! A great way to build an army around a grumpy dwarf! 

I decided when I got into AoS that I ultimately wanted an army for each GA. This worked out well when the Squigs and then Skaven were both relaunched, but I couldn't figure out a Death army I actually wanted to play. This has all changed with the launch of the Bonereapers. They will be a fun counter point to my SCEs. 

3 minutes ago, CitizenX said:

I decided when I got into AoS that I ultimately wanted an army for each GA. This worked out well when the Squigs and then Skaven were both relaunched, but I couldn't figure out a Death army I actually wanted to play. This has all changed with the launch of the Bonereapers. They will be a fun counter point to my SCEs. 

I was a bit like that only it was more that just nothing in Death really caught my eye as a whole army. Flesh Eaters might have and whilst they've got really great lore they suffer from basically being a very limited range of models. A lot of their alternate options are just one or two bits different here and there; which means that the aesthetic really has to grab me to make me want to collect them. Them and Fyreslayers I think would be armies I could envision collecting if/when GW gets around to giving them another "half of their army". 

For that reason I was really pleased to see the bonereapers leak the other day and that GW is really giving them a great start with a serious number of models and variety. And this is just their first wave release. The Grand Alliance system also means that there's a good chance I can grab something like a zombie dragon and bring it in as an ally if I want an excuse to own the model (double excuse if they make some Bonereaper Warcry rules too!)

I am planning what is actually an old army - boxes upon boxes of grey plastic Empire soldiers - becoming something new and interesting with Cities of Sigmar on the horizon. Planning bulk infantry painted with Contrast and whole bunch of Demigryph Knights...

I also love this thread. I have always been a big fan of Tale of 4 Gamers and 'collecting' articles from WD...

• Like 1

So far I think I am in the lucky place in that nothing has so far persuaded me to start a new army.

I am in the process of building three armies at present though I have enough of each to play 1000pt games with them, and to be honest our group only tends to play at this level due to our busy schedules.

So unless some outstanding force comes along I will carry on adding bits and pieces to my SCE, Kharadron and Daughters armies.

I bought into Warcry, so there's lots there for me to get stuck into.

I am tempted to run a gitz gang in Warcry so I can probably see me expanding that as my next project.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:17 PM, Overread said:

Yes we all get those plans in our head of starting a new army, so here's a general mishmash thread to share our ideas and also advise/dissuade/persuade others along the bumpy road of shiny new models! This is for sharing all those great ideas beyond the typical "what's the most points efficient and powerful combo to buy"; and for all those army ideas that might never come to be or might just be lurking around the corner. A nice soundingboard to chat and air out ideas.

Alright, sounds fun.

My first bit of advice is to not buy the hottest new army to come out, and to at least wait until a Battleforce box or Start Collecting comes around. You know, save your money and don't waste it on things that are going to be bundled for discounts.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:17 PM, Overread said:

Myself my current plan is Bonereapers!

Or just dive into the deep end before you learn how to ride your motorcycle without training wheels.

3 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

Or just dive into the deep end before you learn how to ride your motorcycle without training wheels.

AND Paint it red so it goes FASTA!! With flames on the side cause that gives you more burny! And bullets cause that will give you more dakka!! Yes bright red with flames and bullets and no training wheelz!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course a lot may depend on what the Christmas battle forces are this year.

I know there are a few factions which could be very tempting if the right models end up in a discount box. They generally make the contents complementary to SC sets and vs boxes, but beyond that its hard to know what they'll pick. My guess would be gloomspite, maybe a big box of trolls to complement the sqig heavy looncurse, and a more balanced SC set next year.

Nighthaunt could also be a good option, but it would need to complement the starter set so avoid the easy to build kits. They usually have some made of older models too though (50% last year) so those will be a complete surprise. It will be too soon for bone reapers, but Slaanesh could be a possibility, although the options there may be a bit limited, since they wouldn't include the keeper, and the smaller stuff is in Realm of Chaos. In short, who knows, but if the right deal comes up it could change all my plans for next year!