AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

So, the newest Death faction has been revealed at Nova, and despite a lukewarm reaction from some, I really like the look of these. 

Relentless. Disciplined. Deathless. These are the Ossiarch Bonereapers – the culmination of centuries of planning by Nagash and the harbingers of his dark reign. Where the Legions of Nagash are the foot soldiers of Death and the Nighthaunt are the shock troops, the Ossiarch Bonereapers are the vanguard of a new order.

These are not risen warriors or malignant spirits – they are bespoke war-constructs forged from harvested bone and gifted the soul animus of great warriors and heroes. Alone, they have hundreds of lifetimes of experience and brutal physical prowess. Unified, they are nigh unstoppable, directed into battle by Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis – perhaps the greatest military strategist (living, or dead) the Mortal Realms have ever known.

The backbone (see what we did there?) of the Ossiarch Bonereapers are the legions of Mortek Guard and spearheads of Kavalos Deathriders. Each contains the souls of dozens of mortal warriors, and each is a brutally effective combatant, fighting with utter discipline even in the most chaotic battles. These warriors aren’t automata – they have personalities befitting their roles in Nagash’s dark regime. While Mortek Guard are forthright and dutiful, Kavalos Deathriders are possessed of towering arrogance, as suits their role as heralds of the Great Necromancer. 

The more elite echelons of the Ossiarch Bonereapers are made up of a variety of bizarre and deadly construct-warriors created by the twisted, magical bio-engineers of the Mortisian priesthood. Necropolis Stalkers, for instance, are infused with the souls of four legendary warriors apiece, giving them the ability to shift personalities mid-battle in order to change their fighting style. 

In addition to these warriors, the Ossiarch Bonereapers also make vast and horrific war machines. The Mortek Crawler is a semi-sentient siege engine that devastates fortifications and formations alike with deadly hails of magical ammunition. 

Leading the Ossiarch Bonereapers is none other than Katakros himself. This is no embittered spirit, arch-schemer of the world-that-was or devoted sycophant, but a terrifying new paragon of unlife itself. Granted a new existence in a body of ensorcelled bone, Orpheon Katakros is Nagash’s plan for the Mortal Realms made manifest – efficient, remorseless and instilled with a chilling disregard for life. He’s a real chip off the ol’ Black Pyramid…

Katakros is a fascinating character. Once a general of the Mortal Realms, he is a master of strategy, tactics and diplomacy with aeons of conquest under his belt. Even if you’re not going all-in on the new Ossiarch Bonereapers, this stunning miniature will be a pleasure to paint and an eye-catching display piece for your collection in its own right.

The Ossiarch Bonereapers will be invading a Mortal Realm near you soon, and we’ve not even shown you all their incredible new models yet! 

EAE7F748-A032-4686-9418-2A67D3A934CF.jpeg

18A30C2F-D41D-467D-B6BE-7E75428B6B8A.jpeg

A9AF0293-69F5-43C4-9334-106867C7A915.jpeg

2415D4E6-AB97-469E-9F7E-64D3864DBABC.jpeg

6A93BC6A-FD4D-41E3-A711-E69DF6371420.jpeg

E07B0887-699C-4CFE-93BB-B38A32510D3B.jpeg

6CB70D64-C3CB-4534-804B-16FF92AC2092.jpeg

1E74DA42-0CDD-4233-B813-6137E715C225.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

10 minutes ago, XReN said:

They are amazing!

I'm going to buy this army in a heartbeat

I know right. Now it'll be easier to come up with different plans and ideas instead of the same blending bits and parts of the death army.  (Didn't pay the £62.50 Blood knights).....rip off.

• Like 1

• RuneBrush changed the title to AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Copying myself from the Rumour-Thread:

I'm a Legions player - I like the Sarcophagus model a damn lot; more than on the artworks, actually. The catapult is awesome, too - this crawling thing with its many tiny legs is a near-perfect necromantic construct. I never liked the Morghasts, as they are too bulky for me - same goes for the new infantry models to an extent, even though I think that the proportions are way better on those.

Since it's Nagash's take on creating an army, I think he did a really good job on making them resemble him; even the smirks (I usually dislike humour in movies, music and games and prefer the darker aesthetic - but I think that going like: 'Ha, I took 4 souls and crammed it into that Soldier! What does that petty One-Soul-Soldier even want?' is so over-the-top that I think it captures Nagash's personality quite right).

If they're available for Legions to field, I can totally see myself have a hero being sent to Neferata's court to have an eye on her, with some guards accompanying him; and them scheming each other a bit while marching to war together. 

All in all, I think they've done a good job of making Death a tad more Nagash (even though I'd prefer independent Vampires, but I guess that's not how it goes in AoS) while harking back to Nagash's Khemri roots. 

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Copying myself from the Rumour-Thread:

I'm a Legions player - I like the Sarcophagus model a damn lot; more than on the artworks, actually. The catapult is awesome, too - this crawling thing with its many tiny legs is a near-perfect necromantic construct. I never liked the Morghasts, as they are too bulky for me - same goes for the new infantry models to an extent, even though I think that the proportions are way better on those.

Since it's Nagash's take on creating an army, I think he did a really good job on making them resemble him; even the smirks (I usually dislike humour in movies, music and games and prefer the darker aesthetic - but I think that going like: 'Ha, I took 4 souls and crammed it into that Soldier! What does that petty One-Soul-Soldier even want?' is so over-the-top that I think it captures Nagash's personality quite right).

If they're available for Legions to field, I can totally see myself have a hero being sent to Neferata's court to have an eye on her, with some guards accompanying him; and them scheming each other a bit while marching to war together. 

All in all, I think they've done a good job of making Death a tad more Nagash (even though I'd prefer independent Vampires, but I guess that's not how it goes in AoS) while harking back to Nagash's Khemri roots. 

Good point, I agree on almost everything

• Like 1

Blimey biscuits! Would you look at these bad boys!!! 😎

l love them ❤️❤️❤️

Initial thoughts:

We have a whole new death faction. Essentially a Morghast army.

I have my birthday presents covered.

They look fantastic. I love the four-armed dudes in particular.

There is a real consistency emerging in the aesthetic across GW armies. I know this is part of an intellectual property strategy but who cares if the output is so good? The scythe dude is pure Necron and the four armed fellas are channeling quite a bit of Tyranid.

Lets call the Tomb Kings debate now. They are gone forever, but shall live on in undeath through these models. The lineage is very clear.

Lordy, Katakros is a great model, but more than a little intimidating for a casual and time limited painter. I love the ambition of it, but it creates a high barrier to get over in terms of being able to afford it, having the time to build it and having the skill to do a paint job that does it justice. That’s not a compliant by the way.

As already said, the key question now is how they integrate with existing death units. So for example can these be elites marshaling a skeleton horde?

Overall - boom!!

So uhm yeah ... the Mortarch looks awesome but would be better in a more dynamic pose on his own. This way it looks more like a display piece.

The rest of the range we've seen is a hard pass. I was looking forward to an actual skeleton army, not to a pseudo-skeleton with derpy faces bone construct army. Really not my preference aesthetically. Though the warmachine itself looks great as well I guess.

At least I still don't have to bury my foolish hopes of Tomb Kings just yet since those definitely don't scratch any of those itches. :D

Edited by Panzer
  • Like 4

Hell, I liked the art and i really *want* to like them but they look... well. Let's say their Skeletor vibe is so strong that from now on i imagine them to have high pitched voices and nyeh nyeh laugh. And every darkoath chieftain facing them spontanously turns blonde. Which would have potential fore more fun and lighthearted fantasy villain anyway but the second thing:

Their armour looks like someone converted them from Tyranids. I get they were going for bone plates, but they achieved Nid exoskeletons. The scythe wizard and coffin fellow are cool, but the armoured rest look just wrong to me. And the Mortarch has a bone thong. Was it REALLY the best solution? Couldn't have given him a skirt or something? :D

I mean, from the technical side they're incredible. It's just that only thing that idea does for me is cause mild chuckle.

• Like 5

Definitely a day 1 purchase for me as well, love the new models...except (and I know I'm in a minority here) the Mortarch, I think that's an awful model. I'd have preferred the guy on the left of him to be the center piece, he's great

Edited by Karragon
grammar
  • Like 2

The main thing that's putting me off is the faces. I just feel like empty skulls would portray the construct idea better. Despite that, it's all pretty groovy and the way they link in the the aesthetic of Nagash and the Morghasts is cool. Just glad they are fulfilling the promise of expanding other Grand Alliances!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sadysaneto said:

Are we 100% sure katakros is the mortarch?

I mean, nighthaunt has it share of centerpiece leaders other than olynder.

We are:

Unified, they are nigh unstoppable, directed into battle by Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis – perhaps the greatest military strategist (living, or dead) the Mortal Realms have ever known