AoS 2 - Ossiarch Bonereapers Discussion

Still-young

9 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

With all those points the battalion will be a bit wasted, especially with nobody to use the extra artifact either, at the very least Zandtos should just be a regular Kavalos Liege, as his command ability only works on Mortis Praetorians, you can get far more use from a regular Liege with a useful artifact.

This is my problem with Zandtos, no matter what I do he never seems worth it, even without Katakros for Mortis Praetorians the forced artifact is a -3 rend one, and that is only really useful on a Liege... maybe on a soul reaper but eh...

The thing is that Zandtos is only 20 points more than the Liege Kavalos but you get a better weapon (+1 damage on the charge and a 2" reach) and has the rerolls to wound against anyone but death.  He isn't bad, but is only situationally better than the LK.  I'd usually take him and Katakros in a Petrifex army.  He won't get the Petrifex +1 save, but when Katakros uses his supreme command ability he will get the +1 save that way and then other Petrifex models can give him the extra -1 rend (along with +1 attack from himself).  5 attacks hitting on 2s (rerolling 1s from a soulmason) and wounding on 3s (rerolling from himself) with rend -2 and damage 3 on top of his impact hits, 2 attacks from a shield and 7 attacks from the steed is no joke.  The loss of the artifact on the battalion is a loss, but you have to weigh it against the extra damage on the weapon and the rerolls to wound.  Plus he can use the rerolls to wound on Katakros even in a Petrifex army which really increases his already mighty damage output.

Another version of that army without Zandtos can be

Petrifex Elite
Katakros (general)
Liege Kavalos
Soulmason
20 Mortek Guard
20 Mortek Guard
10 Mortek Guard
5 Kavalos Deathriders
Gothizzar Harvester/Mortek Crawler/Necropolis Stalkers/2nd Liege Kavalos
Mortek Shield Corps Battalion

You can also drop the Soulmason down to a Soulreaper if you want a Bone Tithe Shrieker (though Katakros is already giving everyone a +1 to hit) or drop the Soulmason to a Boneshaper if you want the Soulstealer Carrion.

37 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Do you have what abilities caused these debuffs? i recon one is endless spell and the other terrain piece? But what else? 

I think it was the terrain piece, katakros and the drain vitality spell.  Amusingly I had a spirit torment in range so it was a case of rerolling 1s 2s and 6s , missing on 3s and 4s but hitting on 5s or 6s on the second roll.

58 minutes ago, Nuradin said:

Also, on a different note. Shield Wall, does that also affect deathless warriors save?

No, FNP saves such as these are not actual 'saves' and they are not affected by abilities such as this. This is why they're phrased differently to the tune of 'when a wound\mortal wound is allocated then roll x dice...' etc. meaning the wound has already gone through your normal save (which is what Shield Wall rerolls) and you would take the damage\roll with your Deathless save.

Also @Emissary I'm liking the alt takes with Katakros which many of us seem not sold on. I may buy Katakros anyway and give it a shot now. Still curious on the Crawlers, but I've been in total agreeance that just running more Mortek over Stalkers\Morghasts seems to be better as their damage output rivals or exceeds them anyway, plus they can be returned to the unit and count as more bodies on objectives for less.

30 minutes ago, Gwendar said:

No, FNP saves such as these are not actual 'saves' and they are not affected by abilities such as this. This is why they're phrased differently to the tune of 'when a wound\mortal wound is allocated then roll x dice...' etc. meaning the wound has already gone through your normal save (which is what Shield Wall rerolls) and you would take the damage\roll with your Deathless save.

Also @Emissary I'm liking the alt takes with Katakros which many of us seem not sold on. I may buy Katakros anyway and give it a shot now. Still curious on the Crawlers, but I've been in total agreeance that just running more Mortek over Stalkers\Morghasts seems to be better as their damage output rivals or exceeds them anyway, plus they can be returned to the unit and count as more bodies on objectives for less.

No problem.  I'm all in on Katakros.  He's expensive and not a wizard, but what he brings to the army is fantastic, plus is a beast in close combat (which I think people are overlooking).  I'm really excited to get home and put him and the rest of my stuff together tonight!

Anyway, here's another army I'm considering:

Petrifex Elite
Katakros, Mortarch of the Necropolis
Arkhan, Mortarch of Sacrament
20 Mortek Guard with Swords
10 Kavalos Deathriders with Swords

You can also split the Deathriders into 2 five man units or remove 5 Deathriders and change one of the Mortek Guard units to a 40 man unit with spears.  

Low drop count, lots of healing, good casting, lots of RD and can fight decently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Emissary said:

No problem.  I'm all in on Katakros.  He's expensive and not a wizard, but what he brings to the army is fantastic, plus is a beast in close combat (which I think people are overlooking).  I'm really excited to get home and put him and the rest of my stuff together tonight!

Petrifex Elite

You can also split the Deathriders into 2 five man units or remove 5 Deathriders and change one of the Mortek Guard units to a 40 man unit with spears.  

Low drop count, lots of healing, good casting, lots of RD and can fight decently.

Thats similar to my list, just im changing the kavalos for crawler and droping 1 united of 20 to 10 so i can add a harvester and 1 endless

Edited by Mikelomba

3 hours ago, Emissary said:

Petrifex Elite

Yep, I'll definitely have to consider it. I'm picking everything up on Sunday so I have time to get a finalized list going.. Been thinking of ways to bring a Crawler (or two) but I usually sacrifice mobility from dropping Deathriders which is a no-go for me and I especially don't see this as possible with Arkhan + Katakros as I tend to be left with 110 points and nothing can properly fill that gap. The only way around that is probably the following, but really not sure how I feel about a 40-blob of Mortek (mostly due to worry of Hekatos not being able to cover the whole unit). Then again, lots of talk has suggested if you're running a Crawler to always run 2 so...there's also that.

Petrifex
Katakros
Arkhan

40-10-10 Mortek (Spears-Sword-Sword)
5 Kavalos
Mortek Crawler

Carrion
Predator

I guess once I find out if the Crawler\Deathriders are worth it then I won't have so many issues 😉

Edited by Gwendar

18 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

A nice feeling when the first 10 min unit is complete. It seems like the project is really kicked of at that point. Next up the stalkers and the huge terrain piece... that will take a while!

mortek guard.jpg

Whats your recipe for the bone? 

1 minute ago, Emissary said:

Have a lot of work to do.  And this is on top of 2 Feast of Bones boxes, Arkhan the Black, the Nexus and endless spells...

I haven't picked up a harvester yet, but by nagash I have an intense need for that model

I ran some calculations on Katakros. Like stated before, he is much better than given credit for. I may have miscalculated a bit here and there and of course its all in a vaccuum.

The naked stats:

In a best case scenario Katakros by itself deals 1 to 1.6 dmg per 100 points spent + up to 0.9 "dmg" in the form of recovered/healed models per 100p + each unit in range deals give or take 20% more damage due to +1 to hit.

On an entire army his CA can add up to about 10 extra damage each turn considering lots of stuff gets buffed. Extra save on everyone + decreased hit on key opponent units also helps.

So theoretically Katakros in a 2k army is adds about: 3 to 3.6 (+ up to .9) dmg/100p considering the blanket buff.

The healed units are likely to grant you up to .9  per turn. It adds up quickly. Not even taking into consideration how much extra board presence you maintain by him making everything survive longer.

Many have stated he is undercosted, but everything combined makes him a nightmare to deal with. Of course if he gets shot down its going to suck.

TL;DR 

Katakros is worth it in melee heavy armies with lots of guard or riders.

Edited by Kugane

Tanky test list with magic support.

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: Petrifex Elite
Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (360)
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- General
- Trait: Mighty Archaeossian
- Lore of Mortisans: Empower Nadirite Weapons
Mortisan Boneshaper (130)
- Artefact: Godbone Armour
- Lore of Mortisans: Arcane Command
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
3 x Immortis Guard (200)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)
Gothizzar Harvester (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 113

12 hours ago, Sception said:

Finished test model, with slightly revised scheme:

Hide contents

tumblr_7a9e6762e603ace9c2e871307691ba2b_11150001_640.png.cc4fa51ddbd6dfbfcf11aba8ccfbcb3a.png

Seahawks fan? 🙂 

Also, at others, serious question.

The street date on the stuff is Saturday. I've seen several people posting photos of shipments they got early, by several days in some cases.

How are people getting stuff before it's released?

Edited by Sleboda