The Tithe - Speculation.

Kronos

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

Oh man... now I really want oriental vampires/liche's leading terracotta undead soldiers!!! That would be amazing.

Personally I do hope they go oriental themed, would be something very different and super cool for death! Regular boring ol' skeletons would just feel too much like battletome legions of nagash 2: undead boogaloo

This is sounding more and more like a chinese TK and I kinda love it. Terracotta, bone and jade constructs powered by the souls of the dead with skeleton fodder and some kind court of vampires, wights and liches with a vampire, wight or lich mortarch as "emperor".

...as much as i don't want them to bring back vlad, his one dream aside from being with his wife was to be an emperor...

• Like 3

Honest Wargamer guys seem convinced it'll be a new faction. The guy there used to work in marketing and was explaining theyd only go to this much hassle if it was a major release.

Incidentally, they think itll be a pirate undead faction because of the interest from Total Warhammer. Be disappointed if it is though.

Asian themed undead would be so much cooler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Snake Eyes said:

This is sounding more and more like a chinese TK and I kinda love it. Terracotta, bone and jade constructs powered by the souls of the dead with skeleton fodder and some kind court of vampires, wights and liches with a vampire, wight or lich mortarch as "emperor".

...as much as i don't want them to bring back vlad, his one dream aside from being with his wife was to be an emperor...

I hope you are right. That would be amazing.

My personal take on the tithe is this.

First of all, the music seems Mongolian inspired, including the Morin khuur sounding instrument (the lute).

Secondly, the top of the spires in the artwork seem to have stupa, which means the place shown is likely holy ground. Maybe a holy burial ground of some sort to keep some evil locked up.

Thirdly, the title is tithe of bones, and the "pact of bones has been broken" according to the ogres, whom themselves also seem to be Mongolian inspired.

The voice actor is Jim Cummings? I'm not sure though. Either way, if it is, Jim used a voice similar to the one he used for loremaster cho, an Asian themed character in world of Warcraft. It would make sense he would use that voice to represent an Asian character?

I think it'll definitely be some sort of Asian themed army, most likely undead. I for one look forward to it. It would be amazing if it's undead Cathay or Nippon haha

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Kugane said:

I think it'll definitely be some sort of Asian themed army, most likely instead. I for one look forward to it. It would be amazing if it's undead Cathay or Nippon haha

And it would only have taken close to 3 decades to finally get a nippon army lol

Still It'd be cool if GW met the fans in the middle and made it an asian pirate themed army for an official wraith fleet release. I love my western pirates but asian pirates would be a pretty cool and unique army. As long as i get my walking ship wrecks i'm happy lol.

43 minutes ago, Aryann said:

Whether it's Undead Chinese, Undead Pirates or Undead African Shamans I take it. But please don‘t be generic skeletons with pikes and shields. Skeletons Pirates? I buy 2k points day one. 

I am hoping for the complete opposite. I would be very happy with somekind of Vampire army themed around Abhorash... . Although with what we know so far this seems very unlikely.

Anyway plastic, dynamic Blood Knights would be wonderful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I am hoping for the complete opposite. I would be very happy with somekind of Vampire army themed around Abhorash... . Although with what we know so far this seems very unlikely.

Anyway plastic, dynamic Blood Knights would be wonderful.

A vampire army themed around Aborash would... just be Aborash. He doesn't need anything else by virtue of being Aborash.

maxresdefault.jpg

Outside of their obvious role as heroes in a wargame, I've never quite understood why Blood Dragons would even raise armies at all, it feels like an anathema to their whole chivalric wandering ronin m/o. Lahminans too for that matter, though for the opposite reason; why go to the trouble of raising an army and exposing yourself, when if you're doing your job properly you can just puppeteer the army of the local lord you've got on the go into battle on your behalf without them being any the wiser?

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

Honest Wargamer guys seem convinced it'll be a new faction. The guy there used to work in marketing and was explaining theyd only go to this much hassle if it was a major release.

Incidentally, they think itll be a pirate undead faction because of the interest from Total Warhammer. Be disappointed if it is though.

Asian themed undead would be so much cooler

TBH I don't think I want Vampirates on the tabletop... they are a cool idea for TWW2 but a lot of us are still salty they made that entire faction without doing Kislev or Araby first : / Also have they even talked about oceans or seas in the Mortal Realms aside from Idoneth? I can't imagine too much happens with that entire Empire scouring around for souls...

I think I'd much rather see Eastern/Asian themed undead than any kind of pirates

edit: I KNOW I don't want Vampirates in AOS 😨

Edited by CommissarRotke

8 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

A vampire army themed around Aborash would... just be Aborash. He doesn't need anything else by virtue of being Aborash.

maxresdefault.jpg

Outside of their obvious role as heroes in a wargame, I've never quite understood why Blood Dragons would even raise armies at all, it feels like an anathema to their whole chivalric wandering ronin m/o. Lahminans too for that matter, though for the opposite reason; why go to the trouble of raising an army and exposing yourself, when if you're doing your job properly you can just puppeteer the army of the local lord you've got on the go into battle on your behalf without them being any the wiser?

If it's Abhorash and a Soulblight release with him, there won't be a thing that's raised, rather a small elite force, but I guess it's something else entirely as Abhorash is much more likely to join Neferata, if he's ever to get a Warscroll. 

39 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Considering there are references to Sigmar by other names in the video, the Soul-thief is pretty much Sigmar.

The only other reference is surviving the fall of the Storm God's hammer, which is a clear reference to Sigmar. But there is no correlation between that and breaking free of the Soul-thief's prison.  They are two separate events with the only connection being that they happened to the same person. Nothing in the video indicates that the Storm God and Soul-thief are one and the same.  The fact that two different titles being used in the same sentence would suggest rather that they are referring to two different people or entities.

Of soul prisons, There is:-

Slaanesh; and Morathi has shown that it is possible for powerful souls to break free unaided from the Dark Prince/ss.

The Great Oubliette built by Nagash, and if this, then it would imply Nagash is the Soul-thief.

Possibly a Stormcast, if the participant wasn't willing during the reforging process - which would make Sigmar the Soul-thief.

There may be others, but I can't think of any at the moment.

If Nagash is his master, then it can't be the Oubliette.  If his master is someone else, possibly another Death God,  then the oubliette, to me, is more likely than Slaanesh.

The term Soul-thief is subjective, depending on who you regard as the rightful gatherer of souls.

Anyway, just trying to explain my reasoning for suggesting Slaanesh as a possible candidate for the prison.

@Aelfric I’m not ruling out your theory here, but find it a little unlikely myself. Personally I believe the trailer will be tied to the narrative of Forbidden Power where Sigmar imprisoned a powerful entity who served Nagash inside a storm vault. If for no other reason than GW likes to follow through on their narratives for campaigns. 

The narrative of the Forbidden Power book ends with Order losing the battle for the Vault and the forces of Death succeeding in freeing Nagash’s “ally” (since when has he had “allies”, thought “minions” and “pawns” were more his style?), but it never details what/who this “powerful ally” is. Also remember that Sigmar claims Nagash betrayed him at the battle for the All-Points, but Nagash claims Sigmar had already betrayed him hence his “betrayal” was justice/justified. Finding that one ally had imprisoned one of your lieutenants unjustly would quality as a betrayal to Nagash (but then again, so does does about anything else with that  narcissist).

27 minutes ago, Lior'Lec said:

@Aelfric I’m not ruling out your theory here, but find it a little unlikely myself. Personally I believe the trailer will be tied to the narrative of Forbidden Power where Sigmar imprisoned a powerful entity who served Nagash inside a storm vault. If for no other reason than GW likes to follow through on their narratives for campaigns. 

The narrative of the Forbidden Power book ends with Order losing the battle for the Vault and the forces of Death succeeding in freeing Nagash’s “ally” (since when has he had “allies”, thought “minions” and “pawns” were more his style?), but it never details what/who this “powerful ally” is. Also remember that Sigmar claims Nagash betrayed him at the battle for the All-Points, but Nagash claims Sigmar had already betrayed him hence his “betrayal” was justice/justified. Finding that one ally had imprisoned one of your lieutenants unjustly would quality as a betrayal to Nagash (but then again, so does does about anything else with that  narcissist).

Yes, I suspect that your order of events is the more likely.   It's just, as you say, the "ally" bit that is the jarring note.  The only ally to a god is realistically either another god (or god-like being) or a god-beast, especially where Nagash is concerned.  Yet Nagash refers to them as an "ally", whilst they speak of their "master".  If the ally part was a ruse by Nagash, then you would expect them to think they were Nagash's ally, but they appear under no such illusion.  It feels off and GW does like to go left field occasionally.  Someone was rescued, but is this the one?  They say they tore themselves free of the prison, which doesn't particularly fit with a rescue.

On the other hand, I may be over-thinking it.  Hopefully part 2 will make it a bit clearer.

4 hours ago, Kugane said:

I hope you are right. That would be amazing.

My personal take on the tithe is this.

First of all, the music seems Mongolian inspired, including the Morin khuur sounding instrument (the lute).

Secondly, the top of the spires in the artwork seem to have stupa, which means the place shown is likely holy ground. Maybe a holy burial ground of some sort to keep some evil locked up.

Thirdly, the title is tithe of bones, and the "pact of bones has been broken" according to the ogres, whom themselves also seem to be Mongolian inspired.

The voice actor is Jim Cummings? I'm not sure though. Either way, if it is, Jim used a voice similar to the one he used for loremaster cho, an Asian themed character in world of Warcraft. It would make sense he would use that voice to represent an Asian character?

I think it'll definitely be some sort of Asian themed army, most likely undead. I for one look forward to it. It would be amazing if it's undead Cathay or Nippon haha

You may be right. Definitely sounds like tithe here. Horrible Asian accent getting mistaken for multiple ethnicities lol.  I think we are getting undead cathay now too. Lots of shooting? Mongolians were the master horse archers. Possibly some relation to Eshin?

- Horseback archers + archers on mass

- Terracotta warriors

- Oriental dragons/lions

- lots of staves/spears

Edited by soots

3 hours ago, soots said:

You may be right. Definitely sounds like tithe here. Horrible Asian accent getting mistaken for multiple ethnicities lol.  I think we are getting undead cathay now too. Lots of shooting? Mongolians were the master horse archers. Possibly some relation to Eshin?

- Horseback archers + archers on mass

- Terracotta warriors

- Oriental dragons/lions

- lots of staves/spears

That guy also voiced in some trolls and such in world of warcraft, which are meant to be brazilian themed if I'm not mistaken. The voice in the trailer sounds a bit of a mix between those and loremaster cho's more laid back "good guy" voice.

If it is themed around this, the horseback archery will certainly be a thing, or some other magical creature they ride upon.

Historically they would probably roughly base it around the time Temujin (Genghis Khan) was in power, and at that time the Mongolians had little to no connection to Japan. So I would be curious to see if they did implement Eshin connections into this.

I just hope they dont go for the generic barbaric look.

Kind of curious when the next previews or news could possibly drop. Either way it would be about time to have some eastern representation back into the game.

11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

The only other reference is surviving the fall of the Storm God's hammer, which is a clear reference to Sigmar. But there is no correlation between that and breaking free of the Soul-thief's prison.  They are two separate events with the only connection being that they happened to the same person. Nothing in the video indicates that the Storm God and Soul-thief are one and the same.  The fact that two different titles being used in the same sentence would suggest rather that they are referring to two different people or entities.

"Struck by Storm God's hammer" refers to Ghal Maraz, one of the most powerfull weapons in mortal realms, whille Soul Thief refers to Sigmar himself. At least that is what I believe in. Also the was a photo of some lore from Forbidden Power describing how Sigmar struck a creature of pure blackness with Ghal Maraz.

I don't think it's all that deep as some might.

4 hours ago, Jagged Red Lines said:

It's the instrument. It's a Chinese instrument called an erhu. Plus the throat singing at the end.

Although I don’t play Erhu myself, I am pretty sure that does not sound like Erhu.

To me it sounds more like horse-headed fiddle, a traditional mongolian instrument. This is just a guess, but certainly not Erhu.

I've just checked old tomb kings models and to be honest if they were AoS they'd still be one of the best designed and looking armies. Only basic troops skeletons and cavalery look old and I would like them to be replaced. Necrosphinx is just epic. Other units like tomb guard or those snakes are awesome. 

Edited by Aryann
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Although I don’t play Erhu myself, I am pretty sure that does not sound like Erhu.

To me it sounds more like horse-headed fiddle, a traditional mongolian instrument. This is just a guess, but certainly not Erhu.

The morin khuur has a more tenor sound. This is much higher like an erhu. My wife plays one though, so I listen to it almost daily in the house.

Either way we can definitely agree it's an east Asian instrument.

Edited by Jagged Red Lines

1 hour ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Do you per chance remember where you've seen the picture? 

Wouldn't it be nice if GW people left bread crumbs deep and locked behind reinterpretation, like some GRR  Martin novel? That'd be cool. Too bad it's probably going to be someone new, or Helsnicht.

While the writers at Black Library sometimes come up with genuinely original or interesting concepts, when it comes to writing "official front page" lore and codex canon, they're very uninspired and predictable. Maybe the suits in the room do focus testing and give specific instructions, I don't know.