The Rumour Thread

I hate to toss more fuel on the soup-tome bonfire, but is the timing of these two battle boxes the writing on the wall for DoK and IDK players?  As an IDK player with a minimal interest in DoK, I have mixed feelings about the idea—though I’d rather they condense the multitude of Aelf releases than give the duardin the same treatment.

28 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

I think GW insisting on having their books in paperform + code for the app instead of digital is causing the delays. There are huge problems for printed books, even for school books.

Yeah, its about time rules updates stop being linked to a paper book release. Just release as a PDF in their site and sell the faction lore in a book from time to time. They hardly add things from a edition to another, a paragraph here or there about the new hero and that's pretty much it.

It will be the second year we have a tome been outdated one year after its release. Last year this happened with Lumineth, now it will happen with Daughters (their book dropped on February/March last year).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Everything is stuck in another battle box, the worst model delivery mechanism GW has to offer.

Queue GW apologists, "but it is a good deal", ignoring the fact that buying stuff you don't need and spending more than you intended isn't saving you money. Previously I said FOMO ain't that bad for AoS but, uh, after back to back FOMO box reveals with no battletomes announced I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot right about now. All that's missing now, LRL vs Slaanesh box or something just so I have to eat every letter of my words. 😆

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Nighthaunt crossbowghosts look great, though the armour errs a bit close to the new Skeletons which gives me a bit of cognitive dissonance - I thought they were new Soulblight models for a second.

Scriptors Mortis looks a lot more unique than I expected (I thought he'd just look like a Krulghast from the previewed silhouette), like a mix of a Ghoul, Ossiarch and Nighthaunt.

High Gladiatrix is... meh, it's another Hero model based off a unit. It's fine.

Surprised to see another AoS boxset so soon - Fury of the Deep hasn't been out a week - but I guess that might be down to the shipping situation being so borked.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

40K: I Love the new Aeldari. The Shining spears look a little boring - nothing going on there. The Avatar us ace! A real missed chance to give DoK a centerpiece model apart from Morathi or the Crone-Wheelchair

AoS: The DoK hero is fine - I would‘ve preferred an entire unit with her style.

The NH are amazing! I love how the X-Bows look and maybe they’ll be done great smiles for my Vampires

The box I am not interested in. Too many models I already own.

HH: Who cares, it’s resin

Nercromunda: I personally don’t care. I loved the animations though.

General opinion on this preview: I expected as much. Whenever they call sth. A great reveal it‘s 6-12 new Models across 4 systems as Usual.

I missed some at least vague information about which factions will receive a BT.

To set your expectations next time:

Big Reveal - actually tiny

Avalance of reveals - 8 to 12 Models across 3 to 4 systems

The mother of reveals - 13 models across 2 systems

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, shinros said:

People need to understand not to buy into the hype, keep your expectations low, that way you're never disappointed. I got tired of being baited ages ago.

So when it comes to previews they just like to pad out a whole hour usually and do like... four previews and one extra hint at the end that barely shows anything. That's been their thing for awhile now. 

To be fair, from the AoS side of things there didn't seem to be much hype at all. On the predictions thread people were expecting Battletomes and the Nighthaunt Hero. You don't really get much lower hype than that short of them having said AoS isn't appearing at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Honestly, I think Nighthaunt were in the top 3 of not needing another unit, with Stormcast and Lumineth, and in a similar spot of not needing another hero, with Fyreslayers edging them out.

I love the design, but I wonder what the thought process was.

You don't get much more comical than giving Nighthaunt a new unit immediately after giving Fyreslayers... a new Hero model.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

It'd be nice if these things fit into the broader narrative a bit from Broken Realms to the Age of the Beast. They don't seem to? What have these battle boxes got to do with the latest events?

Cool crossbows though, it's a spicy decision especially since SB can now have ranged units. Though we'll see how viable that is.

The newly revealed box ties into the narrative of Broken realms. Nagash isn’t happy with morathi giving souls to the idoneth in exchange for the support they gave in taking Har Kuron.

I agree tho that fury of the deep doesn’t appear to fit anywhere, tho I’ve not read the lore pamphlet yet.

I‘m pleasantly surprised by the new Nighthaunt. A new unit? How did that come to pass?

But I won’t complain. Now revamp the Hexwraiths and give the Nighthaunt some solid rules and they are good to go. Probably the most complete army in all of AoS. Awesome range of models. Tons of options

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 1

I apologize for my dwarf(ehm, duardin)-centrism, but the more I look at the wonderful new Avatar of Khaine (such an amazing kit!), the more I feel a bitter taste on my tongue, thinking about Fyreslayers.

GW missed a chance to make a Grimnir version of the Avatar of Khaine, and it's such a shame because the whole concept of Fyreslayers, the ur-gold and the search for it to restore the duardin God of War, almost screams a character like that: a chosen of the lodge, who voluntarily allows the rune-priest to forge on his/her skin many ur-gold runes, becomes a kind of avatar of Grimnir, bringing the power of Grimnir upon the enemies of fyreslayers. Obviously, after this insane transformation, the "kamikaze" duardin dies because he/she can't bear such a great power, but his/her soul is now part of Grimnir himself, a priceless honor for a warrior-caste like fyreslayers!

Said so, the new Nighthaunt character is really inspired, I love it so much but I think the whole NH range is one of the best among AoS collection. I don't like this new trend of dual box releases, I think that it wastes the hype of the (few) new kits released.

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 4

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Weird preview, in my opinion.

The good:

All the models that were revealed are cool. The Nighthaunt scribe looks really neat and the crossbow ghosts might help give Nighthaunt a stronger identity among the Death factions. nighthaunt can probably even expect another model when their tome gets updated, judging by rumour engines. Maybe that means more models are possible for Fyreslayers and Idoneth, too? As for the DoK hero: It would not make me feel ashamed if my female friends saw it, and that's an achievement in my book. 

The bad:

Everything is stuck in another battle box, the worst model delivery mechanism GW has to offer.

The ugly:

No battletome announcements at all. The pace of 3rd edition really feels glacial right now. It's kind of mysterious, too. you would think that books should be the easiest thing for GW to push out.

I agree. Let me start by saying all the AOS models look incredible, I personally love the Crossbow Gheists they look so damn good!!

But where are the Battletomes? This is either one of two things. Either the Battletomes are taking longer to produce with production issues coming out of China, or the funner and hopefully true version is that there are more models coming for both IDK and Fyreslayers!! 

We saw more than I was expecting for AOS I'm just surprised at no BTs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Durgin said:

I apologize for my dwarf(ehm, duardin)-centrism, but the more I look at the wonderful new Avatar of Khaine (such an amazing kit!), the more I feel a bitter taste on my tongue, thinking about Fyreslayers.

GW missed a chance to make a Grimnir version of the Avatar of Khaine, and it's such a shame because the whole concept of Fyreslayers, the ur-gold and the search for it to restore the duardin God of War, almost screams a character like that: a chosen of the lodge, who voluntarily allows the rune-priest to forge on his/her skin many ur-gold runes, becomes a kind of avatar of Grimnir, bringing the power of Grimnir upon the enemies of fyreslayers. Obviously, after this insane transformation, the "kamikaze" duardin dies because he/she can't bear such a great power, but his/her soul is now part of Grimnir himself, a priceless honor for a warrior-caste like fyreslayers!

Said so, the new Nighthaunt character is really inspired, I love it so much but I think the whole NH range is one of the best among AoS collection. I don't like this new trend of dual box releases, I think that it wastes the hype of the (few) new kits released.

76665cb7f6c40a829531cf35f7beee81.gif

• Haha 2