The Rumour Thread

Some really good takes from a lot of people. I think we can all agree that there is an important distinction between what GW could and would do. My Lizardmen used to Aztec dinosaur people living in pseudo-South America; then they were half-remembered energy angels, summoned by space-faring Slann atop flying pyramids; and now they are sort of half-and-half. Words are words and text is cheap. Beasts of Chaos absolutely could be reimagined to fit a completely different role within the universe. Actually, they're not even evil goatfolk - they're just really hairy people living in the woods! And as for lore discrepancies? Retcon is a thing. "This is what we believed at the time, but now we actually know that..." and so on.

Now, does that mean that GW would make Beasts of Chaos part of Destruction? Personally, I don't believe that, not even for a minute. I wholeheartedly agree that the goats need a new, stronger, and more flavorful personality - one that ties them closer to the Mortal Realms. But I happen to think that the same is true of Seraphon, Skaven, Cities of Sigmar, and every other model range that hasn't seen much action since Age of Sigmar launched. I'm impressed with how the writers and community has embraced old concepts in a new story context, but I suppose the curse of sticking around for so long (like many others) is that I remember seeing those Ogres, Plague Monks, Cold One Riders, etc, on square bases! I think Daughters of Khaine are perhaps the golden standard in terms of keeping some old models and core themes, while adapting the army to a new world? I want to see more of that - I'm sure we all do.

Finally, how much of this speculation would have never taken form if they hadn't made Kragnos into a centaur? Why'd they go and make him a centaur? Why not just a super-big giant to slot in nicely with the Sons of Behemat - and every other army in Destruction? Could have been the guy still smashed dragon eggs and had to be put down long time ago. I think that part will always be weird to me... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I thought they weren't going to release the battletomes until the AOS app was ready?

Maybe the app is just nowhere close to being ready and they've decided to cut their losses. I wonder if the community backlash from missing the August deadline made them change their mind...

8 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I thought they weren't going to release the battletomes until the AOS app was ready?

Maybe the app is just nowhere close to being ready and they've decided to cut their losses. I wonder if the community backlash from missing the August deadline made them change their mind...

The books won't be on shelves and in people's hands until the 18th, still plenty of time for them to release the app. 

59 minutes ago, Magnusaur said:

Finally, how much of this speculation would have never taken form if they hadn't made Kragnos into a centaur? Why'd they go and make him a centaur? Why not just a super-big giant to slot in nicely with the Sons of Behemat - and every other army in Destruction? Could have been the guy still smashed dragon eggs and had to be put down long time ago. I think that part will always be weird to me... 

It's even stranger to us Beastmen players. Kragnos is clearly Ghorros Warhoof, and should be leading a band of drunk Centigors. Unless of course, there's more to come.

I would picture an Ork mountain God of Ghur to be more like a rogue idol. Something like this but more monstrous and less rocky. Maybe a rogue idol with wings or something.

Rogue Idol of Gork orks forgeworld age of sigmar ...

It's odd because they literally could have done anything. Kragnos is practically a God Beast. Why stick with the centaur, something that's thousands of years old, when they have a space to create a brand new unique IP?

There is a chance that GW just completely forgot that they've already covered this ground - they have a habit of forgetting BoC exist :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Physical for now, I have noticed that two of my local GW stores had no SC BoC on their shelves - their dedicated space next to the other chaos Scs is now occupied by other products. One of the store manager told me that they have been told to remove the BoC scs from store and send them back. 

Edited by Sigmarusvult

20 minutes ago, Sigmarusvult said:

Physical for now, I have noticed that two of my local GW stores had no SC BoC on their shelves - their dedicated space next to the other chaos Scs is now occupied by other products. One of the store manager told me that they have been told to remove the BoC scs from store and send them back. 

That's because few of us are left, my local store had one box of the start collecting and nothing else.  It's all special order for them.

Just thought - what BoC was split with some going to Std and and the Dragon Ogors and monsters went to a new chaos book where they teamed up with Chaos Duardin? 0_o    I really do see an avenue for rebranding in some ways.  

5 minutes ago, Fyrenn said:

That's because few of us are left, my local store had one box of the start collecting and nothing else.  It's all special order for them.

Just thought - what BoC was split with some going to Std and and the Dragon Ogors and monsters went to a new chaos book where they teamed up with Chaos Duardin? 0_o    I really do see an avenue for rebranding in some ways.  

A lot depends if GW plans on actually continuing/supporting the BoC line. My guess that if they intend to phase it out, we'll see the line merged into Slaves to darkness and eventually dropped. I haven't seen any evidence to support their shift to destruction, just wishful thinking based on the look of Kragnos. And I still firmly believe Kragnos placement in destruction was a last minute pivot by GW. They had plans for the big guy, whether as part of a BoC, Sylvaneth or Kurnoth  line launch (or something else entirely) , and the model was already in production. Then due to Covid or other circumstances GW had to change plans. The Kragnos model then got shoehorned into the destruction narrative, and voila, we have a giant centaur in a faction comprised entirely of Giants, Ogres, Trolls, goblin and orks. 

Orruk warclans (ironjawz)  are still favorite faction, but after the squatting of greenskins and Gitmob, the lack of terrain/spells/model releases in 2nd edition, and so far the underwhelming support I've seen for ironjawz/bonesplitterz, I think it may be time to move to another faction. I get grumpy and jaded every time I see warcrolls for stormcast or chaos and go "ooh wouldn't it be nice to have those shiny options". Perhaps Kruelboyz will be fantastic, but I'll be annoyed if it comes at the cost of downgraded Ironjawz/bonesplitters. I guess I should get used to that by now, new GW armies = new shiny rules, always at the expense of the older lines. That's part of their business model. Why buy the new orks when your old ones are just as good? Instead you lightly nerf all the older models, and give the new ones shiny new tools to deal with the new meta you've created. 

Here's hoping Ironjawz with some MW generation support from Kruelboyz it a viable army in this edition. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

ill be glad to get stormcast and Orrucks out of the way. Seems they have been the only thing on show for months and we have nothing new after. Would love a gitz vs BOC set in Nov and a book update for them both as they are bottom of the armies atm from all the game data 

Agreed BoC need some love. I feel Nighthaunt need an overhaul as well. I think Gloomspite and Nighthaunt need a codel rules update. BoC needs an entire model line refresh. DOn't know if we'll see it, theyre one of the last fantasy armies with old models, and I don't see a lot of support/love for them from GW. Skaven have the same issue, but play an important part in the current narratives, that I'd expect them to have a line refresh soon. BoC, well., I think they're due for retirement, like my beloved fantasy era greenskinz. 

I'm wondering if we'll see a new, small  BoC style line, perhaps based around the various tzangors and linked to slaves to darkness or integrated into the various chaos flavored armies, while the older kits get retired from production. 

11 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

ill be glad to get stormcast and Orrucks out of the way. Seems they have been the only thing on show for months and we have nothing new after. Would love a gitz vs BOC set in Nov and a book update for them both as they are bottom of the armies atm from all the game data 

I will be glad if it means duardin and seraphon get new things :P 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ogregut said:

I can't see BoC being merged with StD as they've got a battletome update in the upcoming white dwarf.

Would be a bit silly to update Slaves in Sept white dwarf then release a new battletome in October with supercedes it

It would also be silly to release a bunch of new rules then FAQ them twice shortly afterwards, but these things happen :D

I think you're right though - I doubt it'll be StD. It's unconfirmed what we're getting in October, but my punt is that it'll be a broader brush stroke than just a new BoC book. Nurgle are before us in the pecking order at the moment, and they have some bonkers old rules that are borderline broken now due to old rule wording (no 'wholly within', and look up 'Blades of Putrefaction'). Not much of this was addressed on 3.0 launch. BoC still get mentions and have their own narrative, although it's a bit indistinct. Our scrolls have had some updates lately, so I don't think they've been entirely forgotten. I can't see us getting a full new model line though - maybe 1 or two kits. Maybe we'll get something like a Nurgle/Chaos allegiance book, with updates to all the existing Nurgle stuff, Clan Pestilens, and some BoC updates. I'm thinking that it'll be part way between a battletome and a broken realms book.

Obviously this is purely theory, and it's entirely likely that I'm way out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

Orruk warclans (ironjawz)  are still favorite faction, but after the squatting of greenskins and Gitmob, the lack of terrain/spells/model releases in 2nd edition, and so far the underwhelming support I've seen for ironjawz/bonesplitterz, I think it may be time to move to another faction. I get grumpy and jaded every time I see warcrolls for stormcast or chaos and go "ooh wouldn't it be nice to have those shiny options". Perhaps Kruelboyz will be fantastic, but I'll be annoyed if it comes at the cost of downgraded Ironjawz/bonesplitters. I guess I should get used to that by now, new GW armies = new shiny rules, always at the expense of the older lines. That's part of their business model. Why buy the new orks when your old ones are just as good? Instead you lightly nerf all the older models, and give the new ones shiny new tools to deal with the new meta you've created. 

Here's hoping Ironjawz with some MW generation support from Kruelboyz it a viable army in this edition. Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks. 

I feel this big time - I love Grots and Orruks but it feels like they just get slapped down all the time. I think Gloomspite is the best looking model range in AoS and 40k and love the army but they just play so horribly. I enjoy my Ironjaws and they're what I've been playing recently since they are slightly more competitive than GSG but it would be nice if each army gets some good rules in the new tomes.

The only other army that appeals to me in AoS is Cities, specifically the Duarden. So I might give them a look if they get souped in with KO and FS.

4 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Skaven are Chaos right now, because of their lore, just like Beastmen. But yes, I agree with you - there is nothing in the Skaven model line to stop GW from rewriting the Skaven lore so that they are no longer aligned to Chaos. They could do this any time they wanted: just put out a new book with the new lore, Skaven aren't a Chaos faction any more, job done.

Nobody stops gw from doing but considering that Aos is still tied to whfb canon they will have many problems to justify that.
I get that people want to diversify aos from whfb (and it makes sense, imho they are too reusing old characters) but both are part of the same setting.
Also GW knows that "drastically change" the lore is a financial risk, because people are not always ok with that, more so when that change is not needed (nobody needs to change skaven and BoC GA right now).
And you're right that stills gw did drastic changes in the past so who knows...but i really hope(and in the Boc\Skav case also think) not.

@DolomedesConsidering Ghorros model, the similarities are that they both are centaur and heavily inspired by mythological centaurs (the party and smash part).
I'm more convinced they were planning something with him like a new army or having a different styled model and then changed for some reason.

Ghorros.png

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

3 hours ago, Dolomedes said:

This is 'Ghorros Warhoof', a Centigor hero from the Old World. His club is called 'Mansmasher'. His retinue of Centigors would spend their days charging around getting drunk. Ghorros apparently fathered hundreds of Centigors. I agree that Kragnos doesn't have the 'Beast of Chaos design', but it's pretty obvious where the character design for him came from. If Centigors got a redo (which they might get as they're finecast and obscenely expensive) it wouldn't be too large a stretch to see them become aligned with Kragnos. Personally, I don't think it'll happen and they'll just become more chaosy instead.

I agree, Kragnos is based on more bestial-looking Centaurs. But don't full yourself, a beastial-like centaur is not unique from Warhammer. And even if Kragnos and Centigors are based on Centaurs, we can still have 4561654 diferent flavours!!

Spoiler

image.jpeg.1b2991a0032fcb35f611f18f7130cb27.jpegArtStation - Carrier Centaur, Yana VasevaLeftraro The Movie: Centaur Creature Design on BehanceForest Centaur Male - Characters & Art - Aion | Character art, Fantasy  creatures, Fantasy art

46 Centaur & Paladin ideas | centaur, fantasy characters, fantasy warriorArtStation - Undead Centaur, Saad Irfan

• Like 1