The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, EvDJ said:

But then you also get three character models in the Magmadroth box as well, so if they just gave you one character and the Magma its not impossible.

The problem is the Magmadroth doesn't make a non-character variant. So the Magma is your 'character' in the box. I also think every box so far has at least a hero and 2 other units to make a somewhat 'balanced' starting force.

I'm pretty sure it'll be Vulkites, Hearthguard and a Character. It might not have a stand out piece, but it's the only thing that makes sense with the current kits available and the current price range.

50 minutes ago, mhsellwood said:

Just saw on Facebook that the Start Collecting boxes will be going up for purchase this weekend, presumably with the Paths To Glory book.

I would love to see a new unit for Fyreslayers (mini magmadroths plz) but expect something like Grimwrath, 5 Hearthguard, 10 Vulkite.

I don't think GW would package a 'new unit' inside a Start Collecting box. I think they like to sit on models for a while, make full profit out of them before bundling them up.

Cool to hear that the boxes are going up for pre-order this weekend. Same as you, hope it's with Path to Glory. Definitely don't need another filler week of releases (Which this basically is, as it's a 'no new model' week). One can dream that the GHB2 is the week after... but sounds a bit hopeful, more likely more 40k.

19 hours ago, Aryann said:

I don't think that's a good news. I believe most expected slaanesh to have completely new models with a proper introduction as previous armies had. This suggests that it will be just a repack. 

Mortal Slaanesh will probably get a whole new range in the next year or two, just like Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch did. Slaanesh Daemons will probably remain completely untouched, just like Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch did. This new Start Collecting box is probably going to be Slaanesh Daemons just like Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch got.

See where I'm going with this? ;)

As much as I'd like the Magmadroth, I doubt it will happen.  That would be HUGE savings (over 50%) since if you look at the Deathrattle and Seraphon boxes, the big guy is the cost of the SC itself.  The Magmadroth is well over the price of the SC set, so including it along is giving it a big discount before you even factor in the units, so if it was 1x Magmadroth, 1x Vulkite Berserkers and 1x Hearthguard you would be getting $210 worth of stuff for $85.  There's no way GW would put that kind of savings into a box, even though they prices Fyreslayers more than they should have.

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, wayniac said:

As much as I'd like the Magmadroth, I doubt it will happen.  That would be HUGE savings (over 50%) since if you look at the Deathrattle and Seraphon boxes, the big guy is the cost of the SC itself.  The Magmadroth is well over the price of the SC set, so including it along is giving it a big discount before you even factor in the units, so if it was 1x Magmadroth, 1x Vulkite Berserkers and 1x Hearthguard you would be getting $210 worth of stuff for $85.  There's no way GW would put that kind of savings into a box, even though they prices Fyreslayers more than they should have.

Why include 2 infantry units though? The magmadroth kit comes with the option to build a second hero on foot, so adding it to a single infantry unit gives you 1 monster, 1 hero and 1 infantry - the same as the Sylvaneth Start Collecting box.

The Sylvaneth box gives you a £26 saving, and a Fyreslayers box as described above would give you a saving of... hmmm, £40. That's still quite high actually, although not impossible. The Seraphon saving is similar.

Edited by Guest

Cost notwithstanding, I'd bet on the Magmadroth being part of the Fyreslayer Start Collecting box. If you look at the existing boxes available, well over half have some large centrepiece model that really sells it. If it were restricted to just the other Fyreslayer packs, then 16 or so infantry models would look pretty weak sauce.

Iron Jawz SC box is a £37.83 saving, so fairly close to the £40.00 mark:

1 Warchanter £18.50

10 Ardboys £21.33 (adjusted from 15)

3 Gore Gruntas £48.00

I don't think that means that we'll see the Magmadroth in the box though, it just seems too expensive a model and it would mean that GW would effectively be cutting the price of a £65.00 kit as literally no one would buy it. At present the most expensive kits in the SC boxes are the Montarch and the Gore Gruntaz, both come in at £48.00, so under £50.00. They represent a a really good saving, but are not below RRP for a single kit, although this may herald a price cut for Fyre Slayers...

So it looks like it will be a Stonehorn and 4 mournfangs for beastclaw

an exalted chariot, 10 demonettes and 5 seekers for slaanesh

and a magmadroth and 10 bezerkers for fyreslayers which makes that the most heavily discount box yet.

This is from a store owner on dakka so it looks pretty legit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chikout said:

So it looks like it will be a Stonehorn and 4 mournfangs for beastclaw

an exalted chariot, 10 demonettes and 5 seekers for slaanesh

and a magmadroth and 10 bezerkers for fyreslayers which makes that the most heavily discount box yet.

This is from a store owner on dakka so it looks pretty legit.

I'd love for the Fyreslayer one to be true, but it's like 50% savings over the regular kit. It'd have to be the most discounted set ever from GW at that kinda price or it's going to be priced at a different price point.

The other two make sense, even if I think it'd be better to have a regular chariot and more Daemonettes. Hope that the Seekers get put onto the new cavalry bases and aren't on the old-style 40k ones.

Do the math on Seraphon.  Isn't it similar? 

Also,  the Tomb Kings one with Necrosphinx, King (from sphinx kit), and 10 Tomb Guard is a savings and those are all newer, larger, great models. 

Oh, wait.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wayniac said:

Actually the Carnosaur kit used to cost more than the SC if purchased by itself.  About a year ago GW took the lone Carnosaur off the store and then relisted it at the same price as the start collecting.  So it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented if there was a price drop on Magmadroths.

46 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Do the math on Seraphon.  Isn't it similar? 

Also,  the Tomb Kings one with Necrosphinx, King (from sphinx kit), and 10 Tomb Guard is a savings and those are all newer, larger, great models. 

Oh, wait.

In Australian, the Seraphon set isn't the wonder you hear about in the rest of the world.

Carnosaur 100AUD

Saurus Warriors 39AUD

Saurus Knights 55AUD

Total 194AUD, Start Collecting Cost 140AUD.

Still a good deal, but it's more like the Saurus Knights for free rather than both the Knights and Warriors. 

I actually did the numbers on all the sets yesterday. Currently, the best value (considering money only) is the Ironjawz (42%) followed closely by the Khorne Bloodbound(41%). The worst value is the Greenskinz (20%) and then the Slaves to Darkness (21%). All based on AUD numbers, so may be different in your country.

If the Fyreslayers truly do have a Magmadroth and 10 Vulkite Berserkers, it'll be the most valuable set at 50% price of buying the kits individually. 

The carnosaur seems like a bit of a different case. It was released 8 years ago and has probably made its development costs back so it's less of a 'hit' to include it in an SC box for a refurbished faction than to include a year and a half-old centrepiece model like the magmadroth, even if the similarity of costs makes it seem feasible. I'm not saying this is guaranteed to dictate GW's approach but it's a slightly different situation and the carnosaur/lizardmen SC box isn't a perfect comparison. I wouldn't be too surprised if the magmadroth didn't make an appearance.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

If they just had mini-Magmadroth monstrous cavalry this wouldn't be a problem :D

Aargh that idea is just too cool. I really hope the gw duders who read tga notice how popular this idea is! I feel that's all it needs to make this a super popular army! 

• Like 1