The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Sance said:
  Hide contents

D54SPptOyW27hPKX.png

There is no way it's not some kind of witch hunter right ?!

If we are getting vampires in march, this has to be a vampire hunter. I mean, the other rumour engine with the same glove has a hammer in it, like for staking vampires. But whether it's witches or vampires, I'll definitely buy it if it's AoS.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If we are getting vampires in march, this has to be a vampire hunter. I mean, the other rumour engine with the same glove has a hammer in it, like for staking vampires. But whether it's witches or vampires, I'll definitely buy it if it's AoS.

If CoS gets a double update for Broken Realms - I could see the inevitable LoN/Vampire BR book coming alongside a battlebox against CoS w/ an update Witch Hunter. 

It relies - we should be seeing our second BR come soon - and if GW didn't lie when they said the scale of our first release (with a battlebox and multiple battalion boxes) will be the norm across the book releases, it's very likely. 

An other issue would be OBR - the OBR start collecting box is inevitable whenever they come out - it's long overdue at this point - but would we see two discount boxes for the same faction release at the same time? Would GW reward us for our patience by giving us two boxes to buy and build an entire OBR army at a 30% discount in one go?

Here's the only hangup I have with the witch hunter theory. I've been working under the assumption that, since most of these advent calendar rumour engines seem to only be 3 or 4 models, we're gonna see the full reveal at the end that they are building up to. The question would then become, when the heck would a witch hunter be released? We already know there aren't any underworlds warbands left, and it would seem that the new army scene is getting crowded for AoS with Slaanesh and likely something undead on their way before 3.0 in the summer.

I know that's a lot of assumptions but if this is a witch hunter I think it has to be for either Warcry, which honestly feels a little off brand, or Warhammer Quest.

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Around march, in a Cities of Sigmar/Soulblight duel box.

Two new armies in a single box (I don't think that's happened outside a launch box before) or do you think they'd try to milk the pathetically old cities line by enticing people to purchase for the other contents of the box?  Honestly I can't even picture the marketing. A gorgeous new witch hunter would look embarassing next to some old freeguild.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Two new armies in a single box (I don't think that's happened outside a launch box before) or do you think they'd try to milk the pathetically old cities line by enticing people to purchase for the other contents of the box?  Honestly I can't even picture the marketing. A gorgeous new witch hunter would look embarassing next to some old freeguild.

There are duel boxes all the time, what are you talking about? The most recent one was Shadow and Pain, so we know they can be part of Broken Realm. It's almost standard practice at this point to use these boxes to give new foot heroes to two factions, so a Vampire Hunter and plastic Vampire Lord are totally in the cards.

And no matter how you feel about the quality of the sculpts in Cities, they are a popular faction.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There are duel boxes all the time, what are you talking about? The most recent one was Shadow and Pain, so we know they can be part of Broken Realm. It's almost standard practice at this point to use these boxes to give new foot heroes to two factions, so a Vampire Hunter and plastic Vampire Lord are totally in the cards.

And no matter how you feel about the quality of the sculpts in Cities, they are a popular faction.

I'm willing to hold my ground and say I do not believe they will put Cities in a dual box. The models are just too old. 

I didn't say dual boxes are unusual, I said they never contain fully new models on both sides. It is almost always existing models plus 1 new leader on both sides, and I just don't see what old Cities models you'd pack in with a new witch hunter.

Edited by Nighthaunt Noob

5 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

I'm willing to hold my ground and say I do not believe they will put Cities in a dual box. The models are just too old. 

I didn't say dual boxes are unusual, I said they never contain fully new models on both sides. It is almost always existing models plus 1 new leader on both sides, and I just don't see what old Cities models you'd pack in with a new witch hunter.

There are absolutely models in CoS that could be in a double box. Most of the stuff from 8th ed fantasy would be fine, although that does mean freeguild are unlikely to make their way in.

In particular a wanderers box would look great.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

There are absolutely models in CoS that could be in a double box. Most of the stuff from 8th ed fantasy would be fine, although that does mean freeguild are unlikely to make their way in.

In particular a wanderers box would look great.

Sorry I should have limited my comment to humans but this is in the context of a hypothetical witch hunter led box.

34 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I could see them doing a Sons of Behemat Vs Box at some point. A Mega Gargant and two Mancrushers would be epic.

or they could just have a Mega gargant vs Mega gargant box like what they did with the Imperial Knight Renegade boxset

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

or they could just have a Mega gargant vs Mega gargant box like what they did with the Imperial Knight Renegade boxset

If they sell it for cheaper than 2 individual kits I'll be all over it!!

14 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

It‘s time for some possible context here:

image.png.3f8622df52b1bf9feb16b7c6ab368cb3.png

compare the Pauldrons. It‘s no perfect match but it could be of the same style

image.jpeg.6ce9389937754366c4b255d02f5d0c71.jpeg

so hopefully a freeguild model :)

Fantastic spot mate!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

This definitely seems like a Witch Hunter from Azyr!! If there is a Warhammer Quest featuring the Undead perhaps this is our hero!? Or a Witch Hunter Warband for Underworlds OR Witch Hunters for Cities of Sigmar!? I'm so excited!?

Remember that Ordo Hereticus Inquisitors in 40k also use a very similar aesthetic, including crossbows and the like. Coupled with the other Inquisitorial Rumour Engines if it weren't for the gloved-hammer hand I'd still put money on 40k.

That said, a Death-antagonist Hero Quest versus vampire/fantasy Witch Hunters would still make a lot of sense with the hodgepodge of seemingly Death-themed Rumour Engines scattered about but that feels like something they'd reveal during the 'board game' event around February I think?

It wont be for Underworlds as we already know what's coming in the next year and none of 'em point to CoS.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

I keep thinking of how cool it would be if these Vampire Hunters were also the new Vampires... I keep thinking of an army that could be built either as an Order force of Vampire hunting devotees or their fallen comrades that now serve Nagash (but truly follow his treacherous Vampiric generals)! I assume there would be alternate head options and possibly different weapon load outs.

Extra points if the Order army tended towards a horde style of play and the Death version was a smaller more elite force as Vampires tend to be stronger. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

Remember that crab claw rumor engine that was supposed to be for Idoneth or Slaanesh, but turned out to be a Chaos Marines?

Remember that lizard tail rumor engine that could only be a new Seraphon model until it turned out to be a Zoat?

Remember that feather that was obviously part of a Freeguild release and it turned out to be a Rogue Trader?

Remember that robe and old timey belt-buckle that just HAD to be a Freeguild model, and then it turned out to be a ****** Space Marine?

I don't want to sound like a downer, but they're building up to some kind of Inquisition/Ecclesiarch and anything that could be Freeguild fits in that just as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

Remember that crab claw rumor engine that was supposed to be for Idoneth or Slaanesh, but turned out to be a Chaos Marines?

Remember that lizard tail rumor engine that could only be a new Seraphon model until it turned out to be a Zoat?

Remember that feather that was obviously part of a Freeguild release and it turned out to be a Rogue Trader?

Remember that robe and old timey belt-buckle that just HAD to be a Freeguild model, and then it turned out to be a ****** Space Marine?

I don't want to sound like a downer, but they're building up to some kind of Inquisition/Ecclesiarch and anything that could be Freeguild fits in that just as well.

Hahaha, I completely agree and I think that many of these things seem fairly consistent with Admech tech and aesthetics. However, I still feel it is fun to speculate about the possibility of a new AOS army based on rumour engine pictures. I also feel that the aesthetic of these rumour engine pictures are helping me formulate my own wants for a human AOS army.

In other words, I would rather have fun being wrong speculating about how everything is Malerion in space, than except that it is just another Imperium character or faction.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

I don't know how to find out kit dates but there's no way those ogres are remotely as old as the free guild.

Actually they’re older. Ogres were released in 6th edition, 2005, then the freeguild spearman/halberdiers/swordsmen,  handgunners/crossbowmen and I think pistoliers/outriders came out in late 2006 with the 7th ed. empire release. Demigryph knights were then 8th ed. in 2012.

They have a particular style and have been technically outpaced by a lot of AoS models but I think even the 7th ed. stuff holds up decently. That said the identity of CoS is a rather different and less obviously cohesive one to Mawtribes so I could get why GW might not necessarily take the dual box route, though I would not say kit age is a factor. Only two years ago they were including the 20+ year old vyper kit in a dual eldar/marine box with exclusive characters.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1