The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

Yikes, the Skaven one being $200 makes no sense at all! I guess they are just counting each kit's individual retail and forgetting that like half the box is just a SC set.

At 185 these are nice if you already want to get into one of these armies, but certainly not a good enough deal to make me want to start on any of them.

I make it about a 20% discount,  not fantastic, as others have said they kind of lack newer plastic kits to put in these boxes. Gitz and Nighthaunt seem to be the best cash value, significantly better than the other 2.

I think these boxes are good if you want to expand on a pretty basic starting force. The Nightaunt and Stormcast ones seem like pretty good expansions to the stuff you can pick up in starter sets.

11 minutes ago, Forrix said:

The models in there are don't make a very cohesive force. The fanatics don't work with anything else in the box (no matter how you build them other than blocking los with the sporesplatter) and the Loonboss can't use his command ability on anything other the fanatics. The troggoths likewise don't benefit from anything else in the box. The Squig Hoppers are the only battleline in the box and require the Manger Squigs to built as a Loonboss on Mangler squigs and be your general (not a bad idea).

Basically its an incoherent mish-mash of miniatures but they're all useful in various lists and its goods savings (probably, depending the price). I'd recommend picking it up if you want to dive into Gloomspite but you'll need to get other stuff to really build a coherent army.

Can fanatics not come out of squig units?

The Nighthaunt box is actually interesting, sadly or luckily considering the Ossiarchs, I’m not interested. But would recommend to someone who wants to complement a Nighthaunt army. I was hoping something different from the Gitz box but they are all brand new models some I’m in. I just wish they had complemented the looncurse box by not repeating the squig hoppers...

Can anyone tell me what’s that dead gobbo in the box used for??? The small flat model in the bottom right corner.

39 minutes ago, michu said:

Watching Warhammer TV I realised - what happened with those skull gate and bone tower terrains? Was it just custom mould for the photos or could they be released later with some siege expansion?

I think Tyler Mengel mentioned in his review of the battletome that the scenery is custom. But I’m not 100% sure. If it is custom, it’s really nice. 

Damn, I was really unconvinced by that rumour, but now as more and more is confirmed...yeah, finaly some hints at an actual StD Book. Paired with the new SC!-Set I rather belive there will be an uproar by the community as there seem to be no new models so far, despite the already known Warcry Warbands. Yet I think there will be enough to look forward into :)

The Boxed Sets for this year look rather not like an instant-buy for me. But somehow I always had something to dislike about thoose Boxes :D Either Factions I don´t like or Units I already have plently o. Maybe in the next Wave.

19 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I make it about a 20% discount,  not fantastic, as others have said they kind of lack newer plastic kits to put in these boxes. Gitz and Nighthaunt seem to be the best cash value, significantly better than the other 2.

SCE total MSRP: $275

Nighthaunt total MSRP: $255 (but this is artificially inflated by hexwraiths and chainrasps at full retail)

Skaven total MSRP: $250

Gloomspite total MSRP: $255

3 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I already have one unit of dracoline. Is it interesting to have 2  more? same question for the rest of the content of the SCE (I have some units of each). Are they good in semi competitive competitive lists?

Sadly, probably not - if you line up the past few months of GTs (after the release of the General's Handbook, which nerfed SCE harder than basically anyone other than Legions of Nagash), Sacrosanct lists with Evocators and Sequitors just aren't good enough any more. The competitive melee armies are just better in every way - too many bodies, too much damage, abilities that let them fight first/force you to fight last, piling in and attacking twice... SCE has nothing to compare with what they can do.

There are some lists that build around a unit of 6 Dracolines with a Lord-Arcanum on Dracoline in the Celestial Vindicators stormhost, using their big charge bonuses and extra attack command abilities to smash stuff. They usually top out around 2-3 wins in a tournament setting, but they're also something different from what all the competitive Stormcast lists are doing these days: packing in as much shooting as possible and trying to blow the opponent off the table. So if that sounds like it's up your alley, go for it.

• Thanks 1

Here's a thought about the Kurnothi.

There's debate as to whether they will be their own thing, whether they should be part of Sylvaneth, etc. But what if we're seeing the start of other factions getting what I'll call the "Stormcast Treatment".

Stormcast have been repeatedly expanded, but the way they have done it isn't by just adding new stuff here and there, but by basically building a series of Stormcast "mini factions" each built around a different theme. Sacrosanct could almost stand as their own thing, even if the other chambers didn't exist, but work equally well as part of a larger collection.

Could Kurnothi be the same thing for the Sylvaneth? Albeit with a slightly less coherant visual design. They could be the next "chamber" for that faction, not just more of the same, but a distinct, and in a sense independant force which nontheless would work with the existing lineup to make a more diverse range.

I wonder if we might see a separate army book initially, but then see it all rolled back in in future, in much the same way that Extremis stormcast initially had their own book, but then everything was gradually updated to all be in the same battletome.

Of course its far too early to have any evidence one way or the other, but it could be an interesting way to go. Imagine if an updated Ironjaws army took another iconic orc image, such as Wyvern cavalry, and made a coherant subfaction based around that. It would look good with the other Ironjaws, but could also stand alone, and it would gradually all be rolled in together. I could see the same thing happening with Kharadron Overlords. You already have the distinction between the actual Arkanaught troops, and the Grundstock marines. They could add more subfactions, each with their own distinct flair.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

There's debate as to whether they will be their own thing, whether they should be part of Sylvaneth, etc. But what if we're seeing the start of other factions getting what I'll call the "Stormcast Treatment".

Stormcast have been repeatedly expanded, but the way they have done it isn't by just adding new stuff here and there, but by basically building a series of Stormcast "mini factions" each built around a different theme. Sacrosanct could almost stand as their own thing, even if the other chambers didn't exist, but work equally well as part of a larger collection.

Could Kurnothi be the same thing for the Sylvaneth? Albeit with a slightly less coherant visual design. They could be the next "chamber" for that faction, not just more of the same, but a distinct, and in a sense independant force which nontheless would work with the existing lineup to make a more diverse range.

I wonder if we might see a separate army book initially, but then see it all rolled back in in future, in much the same way that Extremis stormcast initially had their own book, but then everything was gradually updated to all be in the same battletome.

Of course its far too early to have any evidence one way or the other, but it could be an interesting way to go. Imagine if an updated Ironjaws army took another iconic orc image, such as Wyvern cavalry, and made a coherant subfaction based around that. It would look good with the other Ironjaws, but could also stand alone, and it would gradually all be rolled in together. I could see the same thing happening with Kharadron Overlords. You already have the distinction between the actual Arkanaught troops, and the Grundstock marines. They could add more subfactions, each with their own distinct flair.

Would be a cool set up. And one they might do once they've been a full round and everything is up to 2.0. Move the story along. Get factions up to 3.0 with new 'chambers', sprinkle couple of new factions in between. Would love it, don't expect it. But would be very cool. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

That would be awesome, however the Sylvaneth already have Glades with (mostly) distinct subgroups such as Outcasts in Dreadwood, Treelords in Oakenbrow etc. I can't imagine Kurnoth becoming an additional glade so soon after a Sylvaneth codex. 

I'm thinking this is more of a Fyreslayer or Idoneth  situation, where a thematic piece of an existing army is expanded on and formed into a unique army on its own.

2 hours ago, Austin said:

I must know what you mean.

It means we'll get Light Aelves in summer 2020 my friend ;) 

BTW the leaked list of releases is a benediction - I'm glad to know Slaves To Darkness are coming in December (well, just waiting on Blood&Glory this Saturday for 100% confirmation - which means I'll decide between them and OBR around Christmas) BUT as the list stops with the STD book + scenery + spells, we may get some Heroes or even new units in January. Lets not forget OBR got the Book + scenery + Endless spells first, and then the releases of new models.

Maybe the list just stops in the middle of the STD release (tho I kinda doubt that, but still...)

Slaves are getting a new beast, had an updated furies and 8 new warbands (of which 6 are released 1 is coming up and 1 is still in the waiting). So they've kind of had a really good release run already through Warcry. 

As for what comes after Bonereapers its impossible to say. I've even heard more hints that GW is going to shift the gaze onto Destruction for a while with the story and focus. Which might mean after Soulwars we get a shift to the orruks and such. Of course that tdoesn't mean other stuff won't happen (Gloomspite happened right in the middle of the big Death focus) just that I'm hopeful we might see Destruction get a bit more attention alongside other things. 

I also think that there's a vampire death army update in the waiting somewhere along the lines. 

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that with the new season of Underworlds being Ghur focused (Beastgrave).... that AOS will also be Ghur focused for a while.  

Which implies more destruction stuff, and I guess, perhaps Kurnothi could fit in there too. 

After that I imagine we'll move to Hysh, which would bring the Light Elves, so potentially that might be end of next year with Underworlds Season 4? 
The Ghur focus might be short lived and just for Orruks and Mawtribes... but we could get something out of left field like Grot Skypirates.   

I guess there's potential for a brand new army like Bonereapers but I wouldn't expect a whole new range that soon. 1 new army per year sounds sustainable. 
What could you even do? Fimir? Is there anything else in AoS lore that would fit into Destruction? I'm not really following all the current lore much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inquisitorsz said:

Man you are one hell of a tease. I think I found the website you're talking about but wayback machine didn't save any of the forum pages. 
You wouldn't happen to have any more info on where someone could find these mythical photos?

No info on photos otherwise they should have been flying all over the internet

In addition, I believe there will be at least one more new model (kind of) for std after new knights 

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

In addition, I believe there will be at least one more new model (kind of) for std after new knights 

If they are releasing new sculpts for finecast models, do you think new plastic chosen and hero on foot? 

23 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I had forgotten entirely about that last conversation. 

I am still shocked those pictures didn’t leak after months.