The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, alghero81 said:

The new death faction has to be loyal to Nagash as the video says “my master raises the army I will lead”

There may be other masters apart from Nagash. It would be boring if a brand new death faction was just another chamber of LoN.

50 minutes ago, lare2 said:

Gotta agree with this. Shadepire and Nightvault both had comparable logos which didn't feature as playable characters. 

Maybe they all will in time.

Edited by PaniuBraniu

That looks pretty Hyshite, the candles make it like the old empire light wizards and the rays make it seem like the Cypher Lords' headdresses. I think this could plausibly be associated with Light Elves.

Anyone want to have a crack at the runes? I see three elven looking runes, I start thinking Tyrion, Teclis and Hysh itself, though I can't quite get them to match any existing high elf examples even as closely as the Idoneth rune matches nastirr.

Edited by sandlemad

I just had a flash in my flat out sleepy brain: if there is a dual army box which one half is Ogors as teased, what if the second one is free people OR orrucks, in fact one of the 2 factions that got a brand new battletome?

It makes a lot of sense to me and you don't have to be Einstein to see that it is relevant to push the sales.

Well, that is a very tomb stone looking slab or rock. I know I'm biased, but that carving is clearly a pyramid, with Aten style sun rays falling around it. The runes don't look like the Elvish ones, which I'm fairly familiar with. To me the downward strokes give them almost the look of Babylonian Cuneiform. Candles have definitely been associated with Undead recently, particularly the nighthaunt. They evoke more of a gothic vibe than the classic egyptian one, but we know that whatever comes next is going to be a bit of a hodge podge, since most AoS factions are.

In summary:

I'm not saying that its Tomb Kings... but....

• Like 2

Perhaps this could be a Gravesite Marker for Legions of Nagash. After all, they have yet to get an actual terrain piece, and if they get one, it would make sense to actually get Gravesite Marker terrain. Perhaps the Ogor vs Legions of Nagash box incoming?

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I just had a flash in my flat out sleepy brain: if there is a dual army box which one half is Ogors as teased, what if the second one is free people OR orrucks, in fact one of the 2 factions that got a brand new battletome?

It makes a lot of sense to me and you don't have to be Einstein to see that it is relevant to push the sales.

It can be. Feast of bones, Bone can maybe represent the Bonesplitterz. A Destruction vs Destruction seems odd anyway.

So what do we think are the most likely sets to be discontinued when Cities of Sigmar arrives? The article says that they'll let us know in due course, but a few things are already seeming to be sold out...

I've had a poke around on the various webstores, and quite a few of the old Empire sets look to be endangered, as do some of the Aelves. However its hard to tell what will just be a reboxing, since basically everything except wanderers is on square bases.

Does anyone who went to the preview have a feel for the kind of units that were prominently featured, and are thus likely to be safe?

I'm hoping that they wouldn't get rid of any of hte centrepiece models like the Phoenixes and the Skycutter, but I worry that the rest of the high elf stuff could be on shaky ground. There are also a lot of old Dark elf units which have never been re-based. Scourge Privateers get talked about a lot in the lore, so it would be a shame if they vanished, but its hard to know. Darkling Covens could be safe, since the Dark Elf Sorceress is popular enough to be one of the last square based models which is still in stores rather than being direct order. Taking away all of her soldiers would seem like an odd move, but if they are really shaking up the list so that the idea of Darkling Covens no longer matters then anything could happen!

It's really hard to tell what will go and what will stay - in fact without insider info its nigh on impossible to predict. Some older but iconic models might hang around; others and even some modern ones might vanish. It might be a mix of both making the armies work as a single block and also retiring some that are simply near the end of their production lifespan and GW hasn't got the investment to put into new moulds at this time; or they are wanting to put that money into new models for the range, but simply don't have the production slot for a release at this time. 

It's a huge question and one that I hope comes soon in answer from GW. 

• Like 2

I’d be fairly happy if they got rid of the fine cast Leader models. I’m quite partial to the Empire bowmen and Greatswords so I hope they stick around.  I like the Freeguild guard and hand gunner models but I wouldn’t be too put out if they updated them a little.

I'd like to build a 100% human powder based army: in fact, completing competitively (a bit) my actual human force to have a sort of Napoleonic army in front of monsters lol. This will be a super themed army. (and I guess it'd be efficient if the gunline kill enough things before close combat)

I'd do the same with dwarves where the cavalry is a sky force full of KO ships.

For the first one, my hope is high. I don't bother more than this for the second one.

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I'd like to build a 100% human powder based army: in fact, completing competitively (a bit) my actual human force to have a sort of Napoleonic army in front of monsters lol. This will be a super themed army. (and I guess it'd be efficient if the gunline kill enough things before close combat)

I'd do the same with dwarves where the cavalry is a sky force full of KO ships.

For the first one, my hope is high. I don't bother more than this for the second one.

If you want to be competitive you'll probably have to use the tools the book gives you. I believe the groups in this book will not be different races, but different cities. You'll pick a city and the best list will likely pull from all the factions that live in that city. 

Often, "competitive" and "super themed" don't go that well together if you're just talking models out of the box, of course you can always do conversions

For those thinking warcry units were going to lead into a slaves battletome, have you seen how poor the untamed beasts warscroll for example looks?  That one is even worse than Underworlds warscrolls.

Only 1 fighter out of all of them gets the single ranged attack, and the rest of them have only 1 poor attack...

image.png.820b1ce6bc71bb9572c1009a67b21b9e.png

• Like 1

At the same time they are listed not just as slaves but as cultists too. It might be that their base stats are nothing extreme, but that paired with a unit or two from the Battletome they boost up to being tougher. In addition it might be that GW wants them useable but not broken powerful in the Slaves army. It's really hard to tell since these are clearly "new" stats whilst the Slaves Battletome isn't out yet so we can only work with the base rules for Slaves.

Heck it might even be that allegiance rules give them a boost. "All cultists fully within 10 inches of a Chaos leader get +1 attack" or somesuch.