The Rumour Thread

2 minutes ago, xking said:

Why are people bit*hing over nothing? GW said they are going to try and update all of the armies this year. And why are people talking about  AoS 3.0?,    2.0  just happened .

Aos3 is a myth, and a ghost of gw's past as it were. people expect them to do what they used to in the old days and change editions every couple of years, sometimes without first updating all the armies. to be fair, yes they did that with aos2 however the changes to the rules were needed

depending on the results of the survey, i think its not too far fetched to speculate aos3 is coming, as i suspect something is going to happen in regards to the double turn, choosing first turn and battalions. any of which would require more than just an faq/errata to change

Even Phil Kelly said on stormcast that there would be a gradual replacing of older miniatures to make room for newer ones as there is only a limited space available and some of the newer ranges are huge.  Not a few moments later he said they don’t want to phase out armies and they would be supported with Warhammer Legends.  Of course they don’t name names but I believe it will be whatever given the greenskinz and gitmob treatment.  To me there is no real reason to guess which ones will be phased out, just get whatever you want and use it in its AoS2 context if you feel that AoS3 is coming so soon(which makes no sense to me).  If you’re afraid your army is going to be discontinued the look at some of the newer ones and start a new collection.  Sell off old ones or put them in display or whatever makes you happy.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

another Death Battletome is coming this year though, that announcement was made after Flesh-Eaters.

i know they said the images are not indicative of which armies are coming, however i believe that was a lie. Soulblight for Death and Ogors for Destruction (as well as updated Ironjawz and/or Bonsplittaz). Slaves To Darkness/Everchosen for Chaos i suspect is also coming

im actually going to take a wild guess and say that old books updated to 2.0 are not counted for the 'at least 1 Battletome for each Grand Alliance' in which case my guesses are
-Order: Disspossessed or one of the other Aelves (Light or Dark)
-Chaos: Slaves To Darkness/Everchosen
-Death: Soulblight or a brand new faction
-Destruction: Ogors. combined book of Gutbusters and Beastclaw Raiders

if you go back to the adepticon preview they worded as if they where counting the BT that came before it

"With Gloomspite Gitz already on shelves, and Flesh-eater Courts and Skaven on their way, we look ahead to the next battletome"

granted with some of the rumour engine looking death-ish their is a posibility

About battletome and GW releases, my GW manager (yeah take it with a grain of salt) said in a discussion with me is that GW's plan is trying to release as many BT until GHB 2019 comes out where they will then slow a bit down afterward during the later part of the year like they tend to do. Sister of battle would then be one of the bigger release during the second half of the year

Don't forget there's also a big new AoS army this year too - most likely the shadow aelves (since they've had the most noise on them and we've really only heard hints of the light ones).

That said I'd be surprised if they slow down much, I think they really need to keep full steam ahead in getting as many BT out as possible - AoS needs to be updated properly. Esp since some armies don't have formal rules right now so GW needs the BT out to make those armies sell. You can bet quite a few just aren't selling and a big reason is anyone interested can't easily find the rules or knows that they only have very casual rules (ego just warscrolls)

• Like 1

The first Slaanesh models are now up for pre-order on the NZ site. Reading about them on Warhammer Community this morning and having a close look at all the models online makes me realise what a fantastic army the Hedonites are. The different fabrics and masque-like costumes make this army look really fun to paint. I am tempted and to be honest Slaanesh was probably the god I am least interested in! Love the little paint swatches in the Battletome too. Some great advice on different skin tones, fabrics and ways to paint hair.

Also love how the old keeper of secrets vibe lives on in the fantastic new Fiends of Slaanesh. Those guys have got to be the weirdest monster in Warhammer. That enrapturess with the harp is super cool too. Amazing release.

Edited by Greyshadow
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Third.  Wrong, I 100% disagree.   It was GW's own choice to re-release those "AGE OF SIGMAR" models on shared sprues. The miniatures could still be made, but if they decided they couldn't "afford" to upkeep the model with a shared sprue and they actually cared about the health of the game, they either have to support what they sold or else they should never have released something for "AGE OF SIGMAR" that they would have to pull the rules for and stop producing.  GW wanted to profit from their plastic crack without having to do any of the support work for it.

I don’t know if you understand how sprues and injection molds work. This isn’t something that is just snapped together like Lego pieces to make a sprue for models, it’s designed and sculpted as a solid piece that is then made to be injected with plastic. Taking out the pieces that make one model on a sprue that contains multiple other pieces to other units is next to impossible without rebuilding a fresh new mold to be used. Tha my or printing the entire mold to cut out the pieces for each individual unit. Which if they already had boxes of the other things it’s just making too much and wasting plastic.

They didn’t want to do that and so it’s now gone. 

And the 2.0 support is there the battletomes are to make the flavor and abilities of each army come out. All of this is being designed right now to make each army unique.

They could have waited unitil they had it all together but then we’d probab be waiting another year to even get ANY releases for ANY army or battletome. And by then people would have moved on or complained about lack of rules..

Edited by King Taloren

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Don't forget there's also a big new AoS army this year too - most likely the shadow aelves (since they've had the most noise on them and we've really only heard hints of the light ones).

That said I'd be surprised if they slow down much, I think they really need to keep full steam ahead in getting as many BT out as possible - AoS needs to be updated properly. Esp since some armies don't have formal rules right now so GW needs the BT out to make those armies sell. You can bet quite a few just aren't selling and a big reason is anyone interested can't easily find the rules or knows that they only have very casual rules (ego just warscrolls)

Far from confirmed there will be a big new army. A generous interpretation of a pretty vague and incidental community paragraph is the only evidence supporting it so far. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Overread said:

@Zanzou Actually GW for years hasn't updated all its armies to each edition. In fact its only AoS 2.0 and 40K's current (I think its 8th edition) which have done this recently. Prior to the big management shake-up armies would miss editions and could take months upon months to get new codex/battletomes. Of course back then each one was a major release so it was a huge glut of models at the same time. 

Thing was some armies could skip two whole editions - Dark Eldar and Necrons were in really bad shape and Sisters of Battle have missed a few too. 

It's only recently that GW has changed its focus. 

Also don't forget AoS at launch was without rules - we then got a fast 0.5 version with the Generals Handbook which was basically a kneejerk reaction to getting some rules adn points out because whilst AoS was selling it was tanking and getting a lot of flack. AoS 1.0 was not so much rushed as it was just not as fully fleshed out; the army books were just warscrolls with no real abilities or flavour to them. Again 1.0 was a fast repair job as AoS was going through big changes as a product as was GW itself.

2.0 marked a proper rules system with proper fleshed out Battletomes. IT makes far more sense to support that than what were essentially interim products of the 0.5 and 1.0 rules. And GW are on the ball now, by the end of 2019 (this year) we should see most armies fleshed out with a Tome.

I'd wager Chaos will be 100% done (there's only Tzeentch and Slaves/Everchosen to go and both of them can be small releases - tome/spells/terrain. 
Death is already done
Destruction can be done in only 4 tomes, but possibly less as there's a very high chance Gutbusters and Beastclaws are going to be merged into an Ogors Battletome and Orruks might well get merged into one as well. 
Order is more messy and might well make it to the end of the year without being fully done, but if GW keep the current pace it will be close and going into 2020 it will finish up pretty fast. 

I disagree. AoS 1 was a fine game, even prior to the GHB.  It had a living tight narrative in the realmgate wars that advanced the story.  It's was a much better narrative approach then we have now. 

Just because you didn't like 1.0 doesn't mean it was bad. It was great.  We don't need more allegiance abilities and artifacts and endless spells and terrain.  We need a living story that is updated every couple of months through good campaign books

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, chord said:

Just because you didn't like 1.0 doesn't mean it was bad. It was great.  We don't need more allegiance abilities and artifacts and endless spells and terrain.  We need a living story that is updated every couple of months through good campaign books

The inverse is also true. Just because you liked 1.0 doesn’t mean it was a good ruleset for everyone else. It was decent but it had several glaring issues that needed some fixing for a fair group of people.

The allegiance abilities give more flavor to people who want to play with more complex rules and higher levels of competition. They are completely optional if you don’t want to play with them hen you are not required and can just use your models and warscrolls.

As for campaign books we’ll see what happens. Malign was half a flop from what I’ve heard, though need to give GW some time. This is the first time they have a narrative that isn’t sitting at doomsday is tomorrow.

Edited by King Taloren

7 hours ago, Ghark said:

I keep seeing those rumours, where are those from a'd do you have a source please? Just curious :)

If I’m not mistaken, Spikey bitz, dont have the time to dig up the links though! Right now it’s still quite iffy, the rumors are all over the place... 

they literally have several contradicting rumors, 1 says White Scars are coming with primaris bikers, one says dark angels Primarch coming, another sayings Rogal dorn, so I’m really not sure. 

I think I’d trust that the Adeptus Astartes will definitely get something at Warhammer fest, but I find the sylvaneth rumor the most reliable of the bunch

On the other hand, the New Zealand GW site has the new Slaanesh warscrolls, and they look pretty sweet

Now that I think about it, the next time we have an event on scale of Malign Portents, i think we can expect a campaign for each grand alliance? So malign for death, then Slaanesh escape (+complete mortals release for Slaanesh) for Chaos, Destruction could be an ogors uprising and order could be Malerion’s/tyrion’s aelves?

And considering how malign portents introduced 4 different factions into the game, I feel like GW can use such campaigns to introduce major releases tbh

After forbidden power, there could be a malign portents scale campaign a while after the Darkoath release   

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect AoS to go back to being a full on living game until all of the armies are updated and set with new tomes. It's hard to have a narrative when a good portion of the Grand Alliances have to just sit there and watch things happen. Once Forbidden Power has run its course, the next narrative will be more involved and proactive on account of every faction having  up to date rules. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, King Taloren said:

I don’t know if you understand how sprues and injection molds work. This isn’t something that is just snapped together like Lego pieces to make a sprue for models, it’s designed and sculpted as a solid piece that is then made to be injected with plastic. Taking out the pieces that make one model on a sprue that contains multiple other pieces to other units is next to impossible without rebuilding a fresh new mold to be used. Tha my or printing the entire mold to cut out the pieces for each individual unit. Which if they already had boxes of the other things it’s just making too much and wasting plastic.

They didn’t want to do that and so it’s now gone. 

And the 2.0 support is there the battletomes are to make the flavor and abilities of each army come out. All of this is being designed right now to make each army unique.

They could have waited unitil they had it all together but then we’d probab be waiting another year to even get ANY releases for ANY army or battletome. And by then people would have moved on or complained about lack of rules..

you forget that modern sprues are designed on computer not molded by hand, that means they could easily make new molds for the models on old spures (they effectively do and did this all the time when they recycled parts between different sprues, such as old space marines) the problem is more the cost of making the mold for a sprue vs how much it will likely sell. 

basically, at any time they could with minimal effort bring back those units on the joint sprues, but they would only do it if they new it would be profitable. it would be cheaper then making new units (as it cuts out the majority of the design aspect, keeping only the arranging of the model pieces on the sprue, as opposed to designing new pieces from scratch). what i am saying is its not a matter of difficulty but of cost vs expected returns, i expect when Skaven get a model update we will see the mortar returning as it would be relatively easy. additionally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the some of the aelven side of dawnspire return in whatever the faction that ends up with the skycutter (as they match the aesthetic of the skycutter which is a unique and dynamic model and thus very likely to stay even if the older aelves are squated/partially squated)

6 hours ago, chord said:

1)I disagree. AoS 1 was a fine game, even prior to the GHB.  It had a living tight narrative in the realmgate wars that advanced the story.  It's was a much better narrative approach then we have now. 

2)Just because you didn't like 1.0 doesn't mean it was bad. It was great.  We don't need more allegiance abilities and artifacts and endless spells and terrain.  We need a living story that is updated every couple of months through good campaign books

1)Well aos 1 had was great in one way but also had its problems in another way.

The second edition well has given something that many players wanted and made the game in another way great, and well has in other areas its problems.

I won’t go into any details, but with the edition that goes and comes same as with all the battletomes that are being released the meta will shift, for example in the first edition, it was common to have a battalion for like no points at all, while Shooting your foes army(all of their hero’s from the table in turn 1)

in the second edition the meta seems to be shifting from a heavy magic bombardment to a aggressive running horde, and it seems to be still shifting.

Now I’m not saying that aos 1 was bad or a joke, but it definitely lack of some things.

2.0 has given us a few rules to negate this problems but has its own flaws as well.

2)Well How should I put it, as a narrative player, it is very important to me that the army I’m playing has a fluff and rules that exactly presents that fluff.

Having played the skaven army for the last 10-11Years, O can tell you that my army felt like a joke.

having to use the grand allegiance  that really just didn’t fit my army at all, wasn't something I  enjoyed.

The artifacts got worse with every ghb that came.

So for me to be able to play a fun narrative game, more allegiance ability’s and artifacts that represent the Army well, are a important part of the system.

• Like 1

Is there any clue of what will come first between Dark Aelves or Battletome Free Aelfs???

May Whit Dwarf has an article of Ulgu, the shadow realm, that is supposed to be were Malerion is with his aelves. Maybe is a clue.

On the other hand we have the change that joined all the old factions on the games workshop web before gloomspite. 

What I think is that new aelfs will come later this year or maybe next year, but the new battletomes will come sooner (ironjawz, tzeentch, dispossessed, free peoples, seraphon, StD, Oggors and of course aelfs!)

Edited by Hoseman

I think there's a clear sign that Malerion's Aelf army will come first just because they've dropped the most hints about that realm into the lore and background. There's even some shadowy images of what they might be in the big rule book and references to how they are like the mistweaver in other stories (such as in Inferno). So basically there's loads of hints and sneak peaks and it makes sense to flesh that faction out with a release.

The Angelic Aelf army we've not heard much if anything of thus far. So it would stand to reason that they would come second. 

As for what happens with the rest of the Aelves no one but GW knows. We've no idea if Malerion's army will envelope several of the existing armies or if the existing will be wrapped into a united Aelf forces or anything. GW has given us nothing to go on and many of the lore refrences to the sub-armies are all casual in nature = ergo references to them mostly as if they are minor not major powers. 

So it's likely shadow aelfs come first.... with slanesh release we will see what previews make on community articles this weak. OR maybe we have to wait till the 11's May for the previews. 

Shadow Aelves could be something like the incarne of 40k, horns, swords and mists

I wouldn't expect them though until after Sisters of Battle and well into the latter part of the year. Middle of the year for AoS is going to be full of Warcry and Forbidden Powers and Sisters of Battle is going to be a Gloomspite level sized release. 

26 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

So, what's next? May will have several anouncements with the upcoming events. But what for next week?

Maybe one of the smaller specialty games that was announced earlier this year, like that 40k arena combat thingy.

6 hours ago, Jetengine said:

All this talk of "health of the game" regarding stuff getting updated/finished is kind of a fallacy thinking about it. No system (save literal one-drop-thats-it releases) ever has everything together and done all at once. 

I mean theres certainly a rationality to the logic behind it but it assumes we know all the reasons behind which GW makes decisions, and we don’t.  

You’re right in the sense that no system has ever had anything really approaching completeness but it’s not like GW have had issues in pushing their products in spite of that.

A cynic might argue that their not finishing systems before the next iteration is their equivalent of planned obsolescence and I sort of subscribe to that.

If you give someone everything they need in one form of the game why would anyone feel the need to commit to a new one? If AOS 2.0 has all armies settled and on a par, why would someone want to start over with 3.0?