The Rumour Thread

According to yesterday's GW investor report, GW's deal with Amazon includes an option to produce TV/film set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. There is no option to produce anything set in the Age of Sigmar universe, which isn't surprising when you consider how much work is still needed to turn it into a viable setting. 

https://investor.games-workshop.com/news-posts/agreementtodevelopfilmsandtelevisionseries181223

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

According to yesterday's GW investor report, GW's deal with Amazon includes an option to produce TV/film set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. There is no option to produce anything set in the Age of Sigmar universe, which isn't surprising when you consider how much work is still needed to turn it into a viable setting. 

https://investor.games-workshop.com/news-posts/agreementtodevelopfilmsandtelevisionseries181223

Thats sad and positive at the same time. It could lead to an end of times content that leads into AoS without having to say it is AoS, just a follow up.

Age of Sigmar is better developed as a setting than a lot of things taken to TV in the past, negotiations over this kind of thing are usually significantly both more arbitrary and complex than we know behind the scenes. Warhammer might have been the cheaper option, or someone involved might be personally invested in it, or just liked the sound of the words... Some of the stories ive had from friends in the industry are mad as hell :D

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Age of Sigmar is better developed as a setting than a lot of things taken to TV in the past, negotiations over this kind of thing are usually significantly both more arbitrary and complex than we know behind the scenes. Warhammer might have been the cheaper option, or someone involved might be personally invested in it, or just liked the sound of the words... Some of the stories ive had from friends in the industry are mad as hell :D

However arbitrary and complex these decisions may be, they ultimately always boil down to money. At the end of the day, Amazon didn't think a show set in the Mortal Realms would be commercially viable. AoS is not as famous or fleshed out as 40K or WFB, and it's *extremely* high fantasy (gods casually walking around, sea creatures swimming through the air, etc). The embarrassing sales of Realms of Ruin probably also didn't help. 

Edited by Lord Kroak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

However arbitrary and complex these decisions may be, they ultimately always boil down to money. At the end of the day, Amazon didn't think a show set in the Mortal Realms would be commercially viable. AoS is not as famous or fleshed out as 40K or WFB, and it's *extremely* high fantasy (gods casually walking around, sea creatures swimming through the air, etc). The embarrassing sales of Realms of Ruin probably also didn't help. 

Sadly true - 40k lore is stale as hell for me now, but there's no denying that it's by far the more commercially viable product line GW has. 

That's not even really a reflection on AOS either IMO - AOS makes far more money that the setting it replaced ever did

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

However arbitrary and complex these decisions may be, they ultimately always boil down to money. At the end of the day, Amazon didn't think a show set in AoS would be commercially viable. AoS is not as famous or fleshed out as 40K or WFB, and it's *extremely* high fantasy (gods casually walking around, sea creatures swimming through the air, etc). The embarrassing sales of Realms of Ruin probably also didn't help. 

As much as I agree something so high fantasy is harder to sell, imo the main reason behind is that it is also more expensive to produce. And that could have been the point behind.

Said that, imo WHFB is as high fantasy as AoS. It is true that AoS have it more present with stuff like the realms themselves, the realm gates and the gods and high fantasy beasts, but it is not that far from WHFB and their Lizarmen star ships, Chas gods/demons/portals, and so on. So you could easily prepare a narrative around AoS as much low fantasy as WHFB, just need to focus on stuff like Cities of Sigmar. It would have little high fantasy touches, but everything else can be purely low fantasy.

Edited by Ejecutor
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

I wouldn't say AoS isn't fleshed out enough for TV/Movie stuff but it is less fleshed out than Fantasy and if they only wanted to get into two settings for now Fantasy is the better choice since it would probably be more popular with casual watchers and be cheaper to produce as its less high fantasy than AoS.

37 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

Does this mean Warhammer plus is done.  I can't see gw competing with Amazon for TV shows.  

14 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

I think you are clearly letting your dislike for the setting blind you to the reality there. We have absolutely no idea what Amazon thinks about Age of Sigmar based on this. On paper its the much more profitable setting for GW thats been pretty obvious for years but its not all about the biggest numbers being best, thats my entire point ;) For all we know GW tossed it in as a freebie to support Old World down the line for example.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Y’all - are we sure that AoS is not part of the Warhammer Fantasy Universe? It’s literally the sequel to Warhammer Fantasy just like The Old World is a prequel to it.

Either way, even as someone who enjoys playing AoS more than I did WHFB, I still think WHFB is more adaptable. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

As much as I agree something so high fantasy is harder to sell, imo the main reason behind is that it is also more expensive to produce. And that could have been the point behind.

Said that, imo WHFB is as high fantasy as AoS. It is true that AoS have it more present with stuff like the realms themselves, the realm gates and the gods and high fantasy beasts, but it is not that far from WHFB and their Lizarmen star ships, Chas gods/demons/portals, and so on. So you could easily prepare a narrative around AoS as much low fantasy as WHFB, just need to focus on stuff like Cities of Sigmar. It would have little high fantasy touches, but everything else can be purely low fantasy.

WHFB is probably just more understandable and recognisable to people outside the hobby, it's basically just real world cultures lifted from various points in time and common fantasy tropes. Honestly I don't have faith that even a 40k or WHFB show will actually be any good, so not having an AoS live action project in the foreseeable future isn't a massive deal to me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Is it not going well? I'm not up to date on it at all.

Sales are going not to well, neither opinions. The game is currently on a 45% discount. I would recomend you to read the dedicated thread if you wanna stay up to date, but the company received a big hit with this game.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I think high fantasy in general has it hard on TV, there‘s a bit of a barrier from my experience (e.g. most girls in my personal experience don‘t care for it). More grounded fantasy such as GoT and WHFB is probably easier to sell to the “masses“. An Amazon WHFB series would help TOW however, then GW would certainly produce more new stuff for it! Perhaps if there are more DnD movies and the like people will appreciate AoS fantastical elements more… or they‘ll make AoS more grounded or use the more grounded parts of lore/the realms. 

21 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

We're not going to see anything from amazon for at least a couple of years and the first film or show they produce is always going to be 40k.

A lot can happen between now and then, I've no doubt we will see AoS on the big and small screen, it will just take longer. 

I just hope GW won't create another generation of grognards who don't even play WFB yet continuously hate on AoS (like with TWW).

I truly hope the animosity will decrease with the release of TOW, but from what I've experienced it has only brought more AoS hate (e.g. 'See? AoS was a mistake since GW is reviving the world that was' etc. etc.) instead of mostly friendly coexistence like 40K and HH.

Edited by Snarff
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Lord Kroak said:

From what I understand, Amazon has only the (exclusive) rights for Warhammer 40k. In the same deal, they have the option to license the equivalent (aka, exclusive) rights for Warhammer Fantasy.  But that's another story.

21 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Y’all - are we sure that AoS is not part of the Warhammer Fantasy Universe? It’s literally the sequel to Warhammer Fantasy just like The Old World is a prequel to it.

Horus Heresy and War40k are diferent IPs too.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Lord Kroak said:

A game that released a month ago somehow changes the terms of their deal, last minute? I'm not sure that's how it works 😅 As pointed out already, they've not licensed Fantasy, GW have left it on the table.

Surely AoS is more viable (from a writers POV) because it's essentially a narrative sandbox with some existing framework? Even something like Cities of Sigmar have cities ranging from basically medieval to high fantasy. TOW is so restricted in terms of what happened where, with whom, which forces and which type of feather Kislev hats had at the time 😄

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Beliman said:

From what I understand, Amazon has only the (exclusive) rights for Warhammer 40k. In the same deal, they have the option to license the equivalent (aka, exclusive) rights for Warhammer Fantasy.  But that's another story.

Horus Heresy and War40k are diferent IPs too.

That makes sense though. The time frame of the setting is literally in the name. On the fantasy side the old world world and AoS are two timeframes that are both part of a Warhammer fantasy setting. It is feasible that AoS could be included in the TV deal. 

14 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I just hope GW won't create another generation of grognards who don't even play WFB yet continuously hate on AoS (like with TWW).

I truly hope the animosity will decrease with the release of TOW, but from what I've experienced it has only brought more AoS hate (e.g. 'See? AoS was a mistake since GW is reviving the world that was' etc. etc.) instead of mostly friendly coexistence like 40K and HH.

I think it just needs time… when I look at stuff like Ushoran, that particular artwork… who in their right mind doesn‘t love that? It‘s not really high fantasy anymore, it‘s dark (souls)! I‘m not one to love the basic concept for AoS with its endless realms (ok, they changed that thankfully already) and gods as I find that narratively speaking a difficult setting, but it‘s very clear that GW/the creatives add cool stuff in there bit by bit. In ten years it will be really fleshed out and feel quite complete. It‘s getting there faster than 40k and WHFB did. It‘s a work in progress as all cool universes are. It‘s not like Marvel, LOTR and the like were perfect from the start - various authors worked long and hard on them to create something cool. 

The bad apples from the WHFB crowd will always be haters but it‘s not like AoS is at fault there… if anything they can only blame GW or people in general for not supporting the game in a satisfying fashion. 

edit: what I think AoS should do is add more primarchs/strong heroes instead of focusing too much on the gods themselves personally. Makes it easier to come up with cool stories. I see the focus on „absolute“ characters for each faction as the single biggest problem for the setting currently but I figure time will add more layers/protagonists to esch faction too.

Edited by MitGas
Added some stuff
  • Like 4

Personally would love to see some animations in the vain of castlevania as well as live action. I think AoS would be particularly suited to this.

Imo AoS not being as developed as 40K or Fantasy is not an impediment to a series or especially a film. Such a production doesn't need to be some sweeping epic like the Lord of the Rings Trilogy or the GoT series, they could just as well be self contained stories that focus on a particular area, perhaps adapting some books. An adaptation of Dark Harvest as a fairly random example would probably be a fairly low budget and grounded horror film that just happens to be set in AoS. THe gods and some of the higher fantasy stuff could be left largely in the background.

• Like 4