The Rumour Thread

I assume Cubicle 7 is still releasing Ulfenkarn because they’ve been teasing it all year. But they have not been keeping up with their releases for Soulbound. This is from a production update last November.

Ulfenkarn: City at the Edge of Death: Editing is now complete on Ulfenkarn and its heading to layout. Expected to release in the coming months!

Ruins of the Past: Writing is well underway on Ruins of the Past, with some chapters already complete. These are being reviewed before heading to editing in a few weeks. Expected PDF release in Q1 2023.

Champions of Chaos: Pre-production is underway on Champions of Chaos, with writing due to begin in the coming weeks! Expected PDF release in Q2/Q3 2023.”

IMG_5773.jpeg

Edited by Ledgington
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

New Valrak rumour goodness reckons Old World will release October this year, with 2 seperate army boxes, Tomb Kings, or Bretonnia, so no joint starter set/battle set, it looks to be 2 army boxes for one faction or the other. 

Next week preview should be good. :)

Can't wait for the Old World previous, hopefully they can showcase the boxes since we are getting close. 

I really hope that for the second wave of CoS, we get a unit that has spears/pikes. It feels really odd not having that considering they are humans facing against all kinds of untold monsters. I do like the direction of it being primarily humans, which hopefully there is a standalone dispossed in the future. 

Edited by Tervindar
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ledgington said:

I assume Cubicle 7 is still releasing Ulfenkarn because they’ve been teasing it all year. But they have not been keeping up with their releases for Soulbound. This is from a production update last November.

Ulfenkarn: City at the Edge of Death: Editing is now complete on Ulfenkarn and its heading to layout. Expected to release in the coming months!

Ruins of the Past: Writing is well underway on Ruins of the Past, with some chapters already complete. These are being reviewed before heading to editing in a few weeks. Expected PDF release in Q1 2023.

Champions of Chaos: Pre-production is underway on Champions of Chaos, with writing due to begin in the coming weeks! Expected PDF release in Q2/Q3 2023.”

IMG_5773.jpeg

I won't play soulbound but I've been anticipating the Ulfenkarn release for ages! It's definitely delayed. I'm a massive cursed city fan so this is a day one purchase from me. Eagerly awaiting the release!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

I think they mean the army box is the first wave, with the rest as a second wave?

Yes I think it's this. Obviously there will be more to come as the lore progresses like elite foot troops or knights and monstrous cavalry. I can see more realm specific characters and troop units being released in the future as well. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

I think they mean the army box is the first wave, with the rest as a second wave?

I think they meant this whole release is the first wave. Even if you look at the transfers sheet there are icons for three other sigmasite cults. There’s definitely future plans to fill out the army further but that doesn’t mean a second wave is coming soon. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Baz said:

Yes I think it's this. Obviously there will be more to come as the lore progresses like elite foot troops or knights and monstrous cavalry. I can see more realm specific characters and troop units being released in the future as well. 

I think the same.  All armies can have new "waves",   but in this case, it's rhe first wave of all previewed models.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ledgington said:

I think they meant this whole release is the first wave. Even if you look at the transfers sheet there are icons for three other sigmasite cults. There’s definitely future plans to fill out the army further but that doesn’t mean a second wave is coming soon. 

I was actually a bit surprised that only the Cult of the Wheel even got mentioned in the Devoted section of the BT. Gives you more creative license with the other transfers, I guess. And of course more alternate colour schemes for Steelhelm Priests 😛

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Asbestress said:

I was actually a bit surprised that only the Cult of the Wheel even got mentioned in the Devoted section of the BT. Gives you more creative license with the other transfers, I guess. And of course more alternate colour schemes for Steelhelm Priests 😛

It is very unlikely, but maybe we have mentions of those new cults in future dawnbringers books. It could be kind of similar to what someone mantioned that the CoS tome is spoiling some of Tahlia's narrative that goes after the first dawnbringers book (I didn't check this myself).

• Like 2

It feels a bit like the AoS design studio is perhaps taking another crack and trying to emulate some of the success of Marine Chapters in 40k, by expanding and developing the different Fortress Cities (which I am totally here for) 11 distinct thematic cities with different iconography, colour schemes and traits. It also makes sense that this is in fact the first wave for Cities. I would love to see more fantasy humans and perhaps city upgrade sprues similar to what marines get. Let's hope they sell well which will please the bean counters and encourage their further development. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, silverstu said:

Well Whitefang liked this description so I'm guessing this is more of a Ghur/forest spirit/incarnate like the Leshy, not an undead thing. 

Someone on Dakka posted a little about the Old Stag and reading that it sounds cool- possibly a creature for the Kurnothi  mirroring  Drycha for the Sylvaneth? The flayed skin maybe reflected on the horns of the rumour engine pic.

Umm… actually I just want to agree with that bit of fascinating folklore knowledge 

• Like 13
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Hollow said:

It feels a bit like the AoS design studio is perhaps taking another crack and trying to emulate some of the success of Marine Chapters in 40k, by expanding and developing the different Fortress Cities (which I am totally here for) 11 distinct thematic cities with different iconography, colour schemes and traits. It also makes sense that this is in fact the first wave for Cities. I would love to see more fantasy humans and perhaps city upgrade sprues similar to what marines get. Let's hope they sell well which will please the bean counters and encourage their further development. 

Let's hope so. Imo the new CoS range is one of the better aesthetics / thematic AoS ranges and I hope they receive atleast a second wave of mini's in 4th edition.

I am thinking a replacement for the marshall on griffon, elite infantry / even more elite cavalry (something based on Bretonnian pegasus knights or demigryph knights), warrior priests, more wizards like the one in the armybox and somekind of hussite war wagon (which fits the theme perfectly) and that's only for the human side.

Imo CoS has all the cards to become the posterboys of AoS instead of the rather bland (aesthetic wise) Stormcast.

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Asbestress said:

I wouldn't really consider the contents of the Army Set "range feeling complete from day one" in terms of a full army.

The status quo they're talking about isn't the size of the range and number of models, they're talking about the aesthetics and heraldry of the cities, which _have_ been established by the army set (including BT and transfers)

Obviously I'd be overjoyed for there to be a second wave coming in the next 18 months (which isn't unlikely considering recent past releases), but I wouldn't read too much into a passing sentence in an interview about the artistic design of the faction

57 minutes ago, Tonhel said:

Imo CoS has all the cards to become the posterboys of AoS instead of the rather bland (aesthetic wise) Stormcast

The only problem with this (whether one agrees with the strategy or not) is that being bland is exactly why Stormcast (just like Space Marines) are the posterboys. They do not have a pre-established strong identity so that everyone picking them up can make them their own

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

Imo CoS has all the cards to become the posterboys of AoS instead of the rather bland (aesthetic wise) Stormcast.

The aesthetics have to be kinda bland so they are easy to paint for beginners.

Just compare these two and its clear which one would be easier to paint for a beginner

image.png.d2b16c3018723b0d76d485c404f27082.png

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The aesthetics have to be kinda bland so they are easy to paint for beginners.

Just compare these two and its clear which one would be easier to paint for a beginner

image.png.d2b16c3018723b0d76d485c404f27082.png

One of the biggest difficulties for Warhammer is also getting new, young players into the community. Maybe I'm stereotyping teens a bit, but I think most of them would be more interested in fielding the elite super-knights of the god-king rather than Greg and his mates.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

One of the biggest difficulties for Warhammer is also getting new, young players into the community. Maybe I'm stereotyping teens a bit, but I think most of them would be more interested in fielding the elite super-knights of the god-king rather than Greg and his mates.

especially if you have to paint 60 Gregs to play a 1000pts game vs 15 super-knights

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think a lot of veterans forget what it's like to be a young beginner. I don't care about Space Marines at all now, but it's was absolutely them that got me into the hobby. It's also definitely true that Stormcast and marines are much easier to paint than the new cities miniatures. 

The imperial guard are the "Greg and his mates" of 40k but despite being around since the beginning, they have never been the poster boys of that setting and with good reason. 

I'd like to see Cities become a bigger part of the setting with more minis and especially more lore but I don't think they should replace Stormcast as the beginner faction even if I would personally love to see a cities Vs Skaven launch box next edition. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1