The Rumour Thread

22 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

For me as a Cities player, the non-replaced kits are the ones I would have wanted to return anyway. The Steam Tank is an iconic Warhammer unit and the kit still holds up well enough. It is ornate enough to fit with the new Freeguild aesthetics, same with the Hurricanum (plus they just sold two of those as a double pack during Broken Realms). The Griffons are a cool big monster kit at an affordable price, definitely not the worst to keep around. The Battlemage kit fun with a lot of customizability. Flagellants are whatever, nobody ever runs them currently.

It was never realistic for GW to update all 50+ cities units at once. But this unit selection signals to me that GW wants Cities to be an army of combined elf, dwarf and human forces, not just as a stop gap but as its identity. So I am looking forward to what that means for the future.

It depends on who you ask. My close friend is a CoS player and he is disappointed that the Steam Tank stays. He was hoping for a new model.

Yet I understand that the range is huge and it is impossible to make everything fresh all at once. We will see the same problem when GW decides to update Skaven and some clans will be left behind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Some Dwarf pessimistic wiggle room for more new Warscrolls:

Cogsmith has only been available in SC for a long time now so might already be considered gone?

Hammers and Longbeards could easily be combined into one Warscroll.

As could the current 2 Steamtank scrolls.

42 minutes ago, Draznak said:

Wait a second... that means flagellants are staying ?!

They're literally make the Dawnbringers Crusades work by sanctifying the ground with their own blood. This was the first ever unit that got indirectly confirmed, when we got that first description of what the Crusades were.

• Like 3

Bit sad to see some of these kits go away for who knows how long, but the Phoenix units had their days counted when the lumineth arrived with their own firebird insignias and the fact that Tyrion is called the Lord Phoenix. I am going to say that when the Lumineth get their next tome in 3 weeks, those units will rise from the ashes in the Lumineth style

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Aeryenn said:

It depends on who you ask. My close friend is a CoS player and he is disappointed that the Steam Tank stays. He was hoping for a new model.

Yet I understand that the range is huge and it is impossible to make everything fresh all at once. We will see the same problem when GW decides to update Skaven and some clans will be left behind.

Of course, an updated kit would have been preferable, but if I had to pick Freeguild models to not be updated, the Steam Tank would have been high on my list. The difference in quality between the Steam Tank and other old Freeguild kits really is night and day.

I guess I just think it's nice that mostly just the big centerpiece kits people have spent a lot of time and money on are sticking around.

25 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Some Dwarf pessimistic wiggle room for more new Warscrolls:

Cogsmith has only been available in SC for a long time now so might already be considered gone?

Hammers and Longbeards could easily be combined into one Warscroll.

As could the current 2 Steamtank scrolls.

Games Workshop are terrified that Lil Timmy's brain will melt if the EXACT options on the box aren't given a defined unit profile somewhere, so I don't see the profiles being merged. Plus Longbeards have always been a "basic Dwarf unit" whereas Hammerers were more elite and fluffed around being bodyguards.

Cogsmith not explicitly being axed and the Start Collecting(!) presumably being sunset probably means they'll just re-release him as a standalone - most likely as a Direct Only so they don't need to give him his own packaging. 

27 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

Biggest suprise to me is that Battle Wizards are STAYING?!?!?! Might buy the Nomad Prince to use as a proxy for a Ghur/Ghyran mage.

The Battle Wizards are one of the kits I'm least surprised are staying. Nothing about them really screams "very definitely WHFB Empire" the way a lot of other stuff does. It's also a well loved box which has aged surprisingly well compared to some other kits.

My biggest surprise is the General On Griffon sticking around, since it straight up has "Karl Franz" symbols even on the generic version, though maybe they mostly wanted to keep it for the Wizard.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

This wasn't as bad as expected.  I do wonder what it means for the lore, the Phoenicium being one. Hopefully wanderes and phoenix temples remain part of the lore though as forces that still have some part to play in established cities culture and defense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CDM said:

This wasn't as bad as expected.  I do wonder what it means for the lore, the Phoenicium being one. Hopefully wanderes and phoenix temples remain part of the lore though as forces that still have some part to play in established cities culture and defense.

I would guess they will go the way of the Eldritch Council and Swifthawk Agents: Technically still around, but not really part of the lore anymore. Although, who knows. Let's hope we get an explanation of why they are not in the book, like Phoenix Temple joining with the Lumineth and Wanderers... wandering off somewhere or something.

• Like 2

Just now, Boingrot Bouncer said:

Is it not possible that one or two of the "new" kits is an update of an existing unit? I was thinking of flaggelants for example, or does the math don't add up then?

Since Flagellants are apparently not being sunset, it would not make sense for them to also have an updated kit. But there is of course a chance that we will see updated Greatswords or Outriders or something like that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CDM said:

Didn’t someone notice how Phoenicium doesn’t feature on the new CoS iconography? Could be they just stop mentioning it 

• Sad 1

What a customer-friendly move GW! I'm surprised and pleased.

Nice to see the Griffon still in the field, I was not expecting that, but I'm glad since I like the model and I was even planning to proxy Tahlia Vedra with it. However, sad to see demigryph are leaving... 

Just now, Fulcanelli said:

Yeah, nice of them to finally say something. Of course they had this exact information for the last 1 to 3 years but it's still an improvement (which says a lot about the expected level of customer-friendliness, but I digress).

Personally I am very happy to have completely halted my Cities project as soon as this was even rumored.

I am happy to see GW officially embrace proxying with a very loose interpretation of WYSIWYG rules (wildwood rangers weapons don't look like Executioners' at all, and they are also very different in terms of armour). Hopefully all TOs everywhere embrace this standard.

Final point, it makes me a bit angry to see the article itself use the line "don't worry, they're going to The Old World". If someone in your community is upset about their models being "bretonniaed" my suggestion is that you tell them that they can still use them however they like in their games with you, and not that you tell them that they can use them in a system which is a) unreleased; b) entirely different (rank 'n flank, to just mention the glaring one); c) not necessarily as popular as AoS (network effects being one of the reasons why many people invest in AoS)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fulcanelli said:

Nice to see the Griffon still in the field, I was not expecting that, but I'm glad since I like the model and I was even planning to proxy Tahlia Vedra with it. However, sad to see demigryph are leaving... 

They could still possibly get an updated kit. However, since the Cavalliers were pitched as the heavy cavalry of the Cities, I think updated Outriders are more likely.

1 minute ago, Marcvs said:

Yeah, nice of them to finally say something. Of course they had this exact information for the last 1 to 3 years but it's still an improvement (which says a lot about the expected level of customer-friendliness, but I digress).

Personally I am very happy to have completely halted my Cities project as soon as this was even rumored.

I am happy to see GW officially embrace proxying with a very loose interpretation of WYSIWYG rules (wildwood rangers weapons don't look like Executioners' at all, and they are also very different in terms of armour). Hopefully all TOs everywhere embrace this standard.

GW did exactly same thing before the original CoS book release. We got an article in June about 35 kits being discontinued, with the book being released in October.

Upon which GW actively encouraged reusing discontinued kits as proxies and they have since highlighted in WarCom articles a number of heavily modified, converted, and/or kitbashed CoS armies.

• Like 2

It possible that General on Gryphon, Steam tanks and flags are update in a wave 2 or second release as well and they just staying because the profile still exists for right now.

only because Flags are old and Steam tank are known to be something GW historically like updating every now and then like the Demon prince. Also Cogfort.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

They could still possibly get an updated kit. However, since the Cavalliers were pitched as the heavy cavalry of the Cities, I think updated Outriders are more likely.

I feel the same way, new Freeguild Cavaliers are meant to be a heavy/shock unit. Although I'd be very surprised to see another cavalry!

Edited by Fulcanelli

Well that'a a good move i hope we can assume that the first 7 kits will get replacements and the elves are going to old world. 

I'm not sure that we will get the wagon now, if steamtank was also leaving that would made it more clear to me. On the other hand there is no units released for cult of the wheel  so maybe? 

I could see a unit of ogres to replace demigryphs and emelda like great sword knight on foot for great swords.

Flagellants staying is kinda cringe i was hoping for a crazy cult of the wheel fanatics hopefully in wave 2? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

Final point, it makes me a bit angry to see the article itself use the line "don't worry, they're going to The Old World". If someone in your community is upset about their models being "bretonniaed" my suggestion is that you tell them that they can still use them however they like in their games with you, and not that you tell them that they can use them in a system which is a) unreleased; b) entirely different (rank 'n flank, to just mention the glaring one); c) not necessarily as popular as AoS (network effects being one of the reasons why many people invest in AoS)

Yeah, my "they'll still be around in The Old World" stance is more about just the availability of the models. Sucks to see the unit profiles get dumped - there's only so much that proxying can do, especially with more specialized units that had thematic mechanics.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Freemeta said:

does Callis and Toll have something special ? they look like standard human character.

They're interesting characters with novels dedicated to them. It's good to see AoS characters get models.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Confirmation of what existing CoS stuff is leaving the range. Article also touches the "25% of your force may be from X Order army" for certain Cities remaining. 

TLDR All High Elves and Wood Elves plus most Empire. All of the Dark Elf and Dwarf stuff looks to be staying though.

• Empire Freeguild General On Foot
  • Freeguild Crossbowmen/Handgunners
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Pistoliers/Outriders
  • Freeguild Greatswords
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Hellblaster Volleygun/Helstorm Rocket Battery
  • Flamespyre Phoenix/Frostheart Phoenix
  • Phoenix Guard
  • Shadow Warriors/Sisters of Avalorn
  • Noble Prince
  • Eternal Guard/Wyldwood Rangers
  • Sisters of the Thorn/Wild Riders

Worth noting if you go on the webstore all the above are now LCTB (although some will probably just get reboxed for TOW), including the Anvilgard Start Collecting.

Stuff that's staying:

• All Duardin (inc. Ironweld)
  • All Dark Elves
  • Flagellants
  • Battle Wizards
  • Celestial Hurricanum/Luminark of Hysh
  • Freeguild General on Griffon/Battlemage of Griffon
  • Steam Tank

Its still shocking to me that wanderers are going, but the flagellants and battle wizards are staying (without resculpts).
IMO wanderers were the best looking models in the entire cities of sigmar range before this release.
Years of abysmal rules probably have a big impact on sales though.
Edit: Griffon staying, with the new manticore, while demigryphs leaving is also a wierd choice.

Edited by Ganigumo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ganigumo said:

IMO wanderers were the best looking models in the entire cities of sigmar range before this release.
Years of abysmal rules probably have a big impact on sales though.

Truth. They still look super nice, but I have almost never seen them in lists because their rules just didn't do it.

Let's hope the rumoured Kurnothi give them a new home.

• Like 1