The Rumour Thread

Now, a Fusil-Major on Ogor Warhulk stands at each corner of every Castelite formation, serving multiple roles – lookout, sniper, and formidable flank defence.

Also, any ideas on what a "Castelite" formation is?
New keyword for gunpowder units? The name of the new handgunners/artillery (Freeguild Castelites/Castelite Bombard)? A literal formation of troops (warscroll battalion)?

• Like 2

Just now, Asbestress said:

Now, a Fusil-Major on Ogor Warhulk stands at each corner of every Castelite formation, serving multiple roles – lookout, sniper, and formidable flank defence.

Also, any ideas on what a "Castelite" formation is?
New keyword for gunpowder units? The name of the new handgunners/artillery (Freeguild Castelites/Castelite Bombard)? A literal formation of troops (warscroll battalion)?

I spotted that too. It appears to be a new term. We will see if it's a keyword or just a lore thing.

59 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Looks like the Freeguild Marshals have been following the strategic principles of a certain Jedi master...

10 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

"It's over chaotic scum,i have the high ground"

I can't wait to see the ogor unit,this hero is a nice "appetizer".

20230620_005118.jpg

(Stolen meme) 

• Haha 11
  • LOVE IT! 2

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I kinda hate skinny ogres like this one or cursed city. The model looks great, don't get me wrong, but why call it an ogre? The gut is and has been a defining trait for Warhammer ogres back to their first battletome (which was my first Warhammer Fantasy army) and has been intrinsic to their lore. An ogre with no gut is both figuratively and literally wrong and should be saved for gorgers. It's not like guts are all fat and if only an ogre ate better and lived in a proper society it would go away, it's a critical part of their biology. It's not fat, it's a huge slab of muscle that helps with their prodigious digestive capabilities. It isn't like living in a city for one generation just suddenly changes a creatures whole biological makeup. I get the desire to give them a distinct appearance for the human armies but getting rid of the gut is absolutely the wrong way to do it. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Looks like i found my maneaters!

I am also getting closer and closer to building a city army and my lack of money and space is getting scarier and scarier lol

Starting to realize that between Cities Ogors joining my Mawtribes and using my Stormcast as Auxiliaries maybe a City Army is less unrealistic than I first thought... although still a long way off!

Now if I run the men at arms as Marauders I would be waisting money not playing this army!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

Going out on a limb here and saying that I think the sculptor behind the Kruleboyz did the new ogor and maybe even some of the cities range. There's a few little design hints. 

Either way it looks fantastic and can't wait to start this new army of reggy dudes and dudettes!!

As always, big props to the unsung heros of this hobby, the artists!!!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I kinda hate skinny ogres like this one or cursed city. The model looks great, don't get me wrong, but why call it an ogre? The gut is and has been a defining trait for Warhammer ogres back to their first battletome (which was my first Warhammer Fantasy army) and has been intrinsic to their lore. An ogre with no gut is both figuratively and literally wrong and should be saved for gorgers. It's not like guts are all fat and if only an ogre ate better and lived in a proper society it would go away, it's a critical part of their biology. It's not fat, it's a huge slab of muscle that helps with their prodigious digestive capabilities. It isn't like living in a city for one generation just suddenly changes a creatures whole biological makeup. I get the desire to give them a distinct appearance for the human armies but getting rid of the gut is absolutely the wrong way to do it. 

If you go even further back to stuff like Golgfag's mercenary ogres, they weren't that heavy-set. They were always into eating, but the thicc boi aesthetic comes from relatively late WHFB (7th edition IIRC?). Presumably these Sigmarite ("2nd generation") ogres don't have that much in common with the wilder kinds, a bit like how Dispossessed are rather different from Fyreslayer and Kharadron dwarfs. It makes sense that there'd be both thinner and thicker ones.

51r8W2E1srL.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Twisted Firaun said:

*Looks towards @MitGas* I wonder who they’re talking about…

Wasn't there a Stormcast that looked just like Obi-Wan as well? I guess we've got some serious Star Wars fans in Nottingham... but is the high-ground enough for whatever insane kitbash you're planning next? A whiny jedi-master turned Sith is less fearsome than a Keeper of Secrets/Katakros kitbash, especially on the purse.

12 minutes ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

If you go even further back to stuff like Golgfag's mercenary ogres, they weren't that heavy-set. They were always into eating, but the thicc boi aesthetic comes from relatively late WHFB (7th edition IIRC?). Presumably these Sigmarite ("2nd generation") ogres don't have that much in common with the wilder kinds, a bit like how Dispossessed are rather different from Fyreslayer and Kharadron dwarfs. It makes sense that there'd be both thinner and thicker ones.

51r8W2E1srL.jpg

I also believe that the Ogres back in the World-that-was heavily gained their girth from the influence the Great Maw had on them. It is a canon thing that their hunger couldn't be satiated after the Great Maw appeared on the world. No more Maw, means no influence that keeps them going after that endless hunger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

"Second-generation city ogors are known for their remarkable ability to keep their stomachs under control for hours at a time "

They kick so hard the Ogor's Lore to justify this model. OMG!, that's silly xD

pretty sure this has been around for a while--it even extends to the gargants who retained more intelligence than others, that generally hang around Order cities.

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Dawi not Duardin said:

51r8W2E1srL.jpg

The problem is that with the actual Ogor lore, which is more extreme than the 6ed Ogres (not 7th), the need to eat is not a curse is an instinctive and part of their nature. If they can control their hunger, these Ogors are stoic monks who can manage their nature. It is so extreme that it is too silly to me, a very poor excuse to include Ogors in Cities that are not bounded to their race.

3 minutes ago, Segersgia said:

I also believe that the Ogres back in the World-that-was heavily gained their girth from the influence the Great Maw had on them. It is a canon thing that their hunger couldn't be satiated after the Great Maw appeared on the world. No more Maw, means no influence that keeps them going after that endless hunger.

The endless hunger is their nature now. It is not a curse or something like that, it is like dogs need to sniff or cats scratch their nails

Edited by Nezzhil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

That model is epic. It truly looks awesome. For the first time in model form we have true scale Ogors!! This is the size in terms of height they need be!!

I kind of life how they look different but at the same time I cant help but feel...use a different race?

I dunno Im torn!! Ogors in AOS are defined by their guts and I understand its a different breed per se but I dunno it doesnt look 'Ogory' enough? And instantly to me cant be used alongside regular Mawtribes unless you are proxying a Gorger. (For me it doesnt fit)

It also has me anxious that Mawtribes wont be updated with new Gluttons, Ironguts and Leadbelcher next edition.

Honestly if they do give COS this guy and a new unit and DONT update Mawtribes Ill step away from the hobby for a while. Im that anxious about it.

In summary;

Great Mini but hard for me to call it an Ogor.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

Just now, Nezzhil said:

The problem is that with the actual Ogor lore, which is more extreme than the 6ed Ogres (not 7th), the need to eat is not a curse is an instinctive and part of their nature. If they can control their hunger, these Ogors are stoic monks who can manage their nature. It is so extreme that it is too silly to me, a very poor excuse to include Ogors in Cities that are not bounded to their race.

I mean, we've had a "slimmer" ogor in the Drekki Flynt novels (with table manners no less), and as far as we know these city ogors have "just" enought restraint to not have the need to eat mid battle (honed over at least 500 years in Azyr 😛). Even then Fusil-Majors still sometimes need to feed them so they follow orders.

1 hour ago, Sonnenspeer said:

I love it, it reminds me of the ankh-morpork city watch

Getting a lot of that vibe from all the new CoS miniatures too, not least the first few infantrymen! 

Our man on the left here, in particular, feels like a Nobby Nobbs or Sgt Fred Colon-type character. He tries. He really does. In his own way.

QkFNKyA3Pbt1FhJJ.jpg

Edited by Dawi not Duardin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looking at the flintlock sniper rifle on the crow's nest, I feel like we'll be getting a tech side of the CoS, with gunpowder, alongside the obvious religious side. A bit like in the Empire you had the wacky Nuln side with the strange Leonardo da Vinci style inventions next to the cults of Sigmar.

I wonder what sort of weird, wondruous tech we're gonna see next, now that the sculptors are gloves off with AoS weirdness. Remember, cogforts are a thing. And Greywater is still around. 

• Like 2