The Rumour Thread

Whatever makes it into the 4th edition box (my money is on skaven) I think it's fairly safe to say that skaven, beasts and ogres will get a model update in the next cycle. 

They are the 3 armies left desperate for a facelift and would finish off bringing everything into AoS meaning we could get new stuff and range expansions for smaller forces. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Before this gets the new Chorf, Maerlion, lulz Silent Ones repetition:

There won‘t be a Skaven VS Stormcast Launch box, ever. Stop it, please.

BTW Malerion is nigh.

I would instabuy a CoS vs Skaven box though! No need for stormcast every boxset imho (they arent marines yet).

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

Yeah whatever the 4th edition launch box is, it's not something we're going to figure out logically by analyzing patterns and whatnot.  

Order v Order (So SCE vs malerion elves) to me sounds just as likely as SCE vs S2D, honestly.  SCE vs Malerion makes way more sense, but that's from a pattern and personal desire standpoint which all gets colored by the communities I interact with.  My point being that the stuff I read into is definitely not the same as the stuff GW has used to make the decision.  

It really might even be not SCE in the box.  CoS could make sense there, but I have no idea if that makes sense to GW.

As far as a wishlist goes though, I HOPE it's Hashut vs Malerion.  I hope both of their respective god-models (or godlike champions) are in the launch box too.  I know there's no way that'll happen, but boy oh boy do I want it!

Edited by willange
  • Like 2

Skaven seems the most likelly since they need loads of new kits. My bet is on Eshin since we know they sculpted some models with the new assasin and WHU warband, i bet there is more. If we in fact go to Ulgu next edition we hopefully get Malerion somewere there. 

Another point against BoC is that they announced they are going to be used in the Old World. From what i gathered they seemed to be against using same models for both systems. Skaven won't be used there so it's a safe bet they will get new models "soon". IF/when we get BoC range refresh they will be "Aossified". 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, DeLewko said:

Skaven seems the most likelly since they need loads of new kits. My bet is on Eshin since we know they sculpted some models with the new assasin and WHU warband, i bet there is more. If we in fact go to Ulgu next edition we hopefully get Malerion somewere there. 

Another point against BoC is that they announced they are going to be used in the Old World. From what i gathered they seemed to be against using same models for both systems. Skaven won't be used there so it's a safe bet they will get new models "soon". IF/when we get BoC range refresh they will be "Aossified". 

I dread this white fang react.

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Impossible All signs point to Malerion.

D741BCF1-8331-4F53-B40C-2EEA5006DDD3.jpeg

To be fair its kind of amazing that we still only have 2 models from the whole Shadow Realm. 
I do wonder if shadow realm/dark elves are a problem for GW working out what to do. 

Daughters of Khaine are popular and are doing well but have a very strict theme to them. 
Meanwhile in Cities of Sigmar you've got the entire Dark Elf army just sitting there. Add one or two named hero models and a Battletome and you've got a fully functional army right there with more diversity than most new AoS armies have for quite a long while. It's got dragons and hydra; multiple infantry and troops. Heck all they lost was their reaper bolt thrower, one or two leaders and the Daughters of Khaine models which are just one niche of that original force. 

Finally we've got Malarion which has a cool demon/draconic theme to the design and a neat whispy shadow element - but we've not had anything barring a few descriptions, but of art of Malarion and one or two rogue models lurking around. 

I know GW soft-teased putting Dark Elves back together with an expansion and I did wonder if we'd see GW follow that through bringing Dark Elves back as a full army and having DoK as we know them now as a "niche" within that force. My gut feeling though is that DoK have had a singular identity for so long in AoS that changing them to a part of the old Dark Elf force, whilst popular with old fans of that army, wouldn't be popular with fans of AoS and DoK as they have been for the life of AoS. 

It's an interesting "problem" to consider. It hinges a lot on what GW's plans for Cities of Sigmar are; DoK and also when/if Malarion gets an army or if he'll be the Cathay/Araby/Nippon of AoS. A major player, major character and setting and major armed force that just never sees the light of day* 

*Until the AGE of the DWARF when Gotrek goes on a rampage and kills all the Pantheon of AoS Gods; ending with him fighting Nagash last of all and casting him into the huge undead sinkhole that the Necroquake birthed. Causing the Realms to suddenly implode into a compressed dimension. Magic and matter compressed down within the black hole of death into a single balled world; thrust out into the universe on winds of magic. Thus creating the AGE of the DWARF where upon Malarion's army will at last get to appear in the Age of Sigmar Total War game and then in the returning AoS... no I can't keep going with this its killing me :P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I personally hope that AoS doesn't go down the route of 1 realm per edition. They probably will and it can be done well, but I would like to see AoS 4.0 really focus on The Great Horned Rat's place within the Chaos pantheon and for the Skaven to launch attacks on all realms simultaneously and for Quarterly releases to focus on individual realms. 

• Like 3

My bet is Stormcast vs Malerion for order vs order and the first steps into the Realm of Shadow focus crossing over from Ghur.

If nothing else the starter forces are supposed to be beginner friendly in that you can dip them in paint and get a game going. All Stormcast are perfect for pure gold paint, Red Khornites dripping with bloody paint, NightHaunt spooky blobs of green or white sheet ghosts and Kruleboyz are supposed to be messy looking.

Malerion’s shadow daemons and devilish aelves fused with void creatures would be easy to just dip in black or purple paint and continue that trend with another supernatural army like the NightHaunt that can handwave details away with their shrouded forms.

Edit: of course if the “Ghur again for AoS4” rumor is true then it could be the twisted things said to be coming out of the Gnarlwoods as a surprise faction they’ve been building up with the side games and rpg.

Also loving that rumor engine:

yisqys0fgg4b1.png

Pretty sure that’s Kroot as well but if it can fit I’d love to kitbash it onto the new Freeguild Marshalls and make a Don Krieg from One Piece with his spike cape defense.

Then add his golden armor into the mix and kitbash some huge golden pauldrons(especially for a human mortal to wear) from the Vindictor/Vanquisher SCE kit to go along with the Stormcast Eternal allies.

DonCreekDornen.jpg
battle-for-the-east-blue-foul-play-don-k

new-freeguild-marshal-v0-4b9ettak3e1b1.j

I can build a Misthavn force from that to match the Pirate theme and have them link up with my fledgling Barak-Mhornar Kharadron skyfleet with my golden Hammers of Sigmar & Guild Krieg to act as the shining diplomats to an otherwise unrelenting force when it comes to carving out new territories for Dawn settlers.

Edited by Baron Klatz

2 hours ago, Overread said:

It's an interesting "problem" to consider. It hinges a lot on what GW's plans for Cities of Sigmar are; DoK and also when/if Malarion gets an army or if he'll be the Cathay/Araby/Nippon of AoS. A major player, major character and setting and major armed force that just never sees the light of day* 

I doubt he in the Cathay/Araby/Nippon tier of obscurity to be honest, Malerion (and Tyrion) is like Emperor Children/ Fulgrim of AoS, they are in the “when not If” and most likely will happen eventually.

silent people/ Katophrane/ and sea grots on the other hand 😑

Edited by novakai
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, DinoJon said:

Here's hoping for Skaven, the great enemy needs great models. 

Let’s hope they dial down the shooting MWs nonsense and add actual interesting rules to the faction (that don’t make everything do mortal wounds)

Reason: Eating 80 MWs per shooting phase is healthy for the game.

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DinoJon said:

Here's hoping for Skaven, the great enemy needs great models. 

They would be a good choice as a contrast to Stormcast- lots of numbers, lots of textures and the potential for centrepiece units with moulder monsters and Skryre war machines. 

• Like 3

As much as I feel like Stormcasts are overrepresented in starter boxes, I think a range release of SCE at the beginning of a new edition could be a great way to tidy up the range a bit - and even give the AoS 1 SCE minis from 2015 a glow up with better proportions, more variety and more poses. 

And about Skaven, one thing Leviathan is showing, is that horde armies in starter boxes can work. I think something is planned for Skaven. GW can't let minis older than me be a part of the AoS range in the long term. They're just very secretive and sneaky about it... because they're sneaky-sneaky rats... yes-yes...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

GW can't let minis older than me be a part of the AoS range in the long term

I agree and it sounds reasonable, but the counterpoint to this (and to all previous similar comments based on the same argument) is that... these minis are already very old, were already old when the v3 Battletome was released, and many of them were showing their age already during v2. Sure enough, in the long term (which might mean v5) something will have to happen to the Skaven range, but that's about the only real conclusion we can draw.

I could imagine a Skaven update in a similar vein to Lizardmen, where they get updated for AoS with new units or new takes on existing units, but with visual identities that could easily be usable by Old World Players.

Like Gutter Runners could become Skitterleapers, known for jumping and squeezing between realms. But they’d still look v much like the ninja rats we know and love.

Big realm-burrowing Moulder gribbly — abomination. 

Skryre could get some classics remade as well as some shiny new realm-shattering toys (because if they could blow up a moon in WHFB, they’ve really been dragging their paws since joining the Mortal Realms).

In any case, a refresh of the same size and quality that the Lizards have got would be breathtaking. And speaking from an Old World perspective, I’d HAVE to get some just to recreate some epic Lustrian showdowns 😍

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

We got a like on Stormcast vs Skaven 4th edition starter. 

Also got a like on a Skaven post mentioning Ulgu.

So 4th we could be getting a Skaven starterbox set in Ulgu with the potential of Malerion happening. Fun times ahead!

Hype!

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 2